Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Blackpill More than just a pretty face? The relationship between immune function and perceived facial attractiveness

• Thread starter WorthlessSlavicShit
  • Start date
WorthlessSlavicShit

WorthlessSlavicShit

Luminary
★★★★★
Just rewire your genes to get yourself an innately stronger immune system bro.

It has long been hypothesized that attractiveness provides a cue to a target's health and immunocompetence. However, much of the research testing this hypothesis has relied on a small number of indirect proxies of immune function, and the results of this research have been mixed.
Here, we build on this past research, examining the relationship between target attractiveness and (i) self-reported health, (ii) in vivo measures of inflammation and white blood cell count/composition, and (iii) in vitro tests of targets' immune function, including (c1) leucocyte proliferation in response to immunological stimulants, (c2) phagocytosis of Escherichia coli bioparticles, (c3) NK cell-mediated lysis of target tumour cells, and (c4) Staphylococcus aureus growth in isolated plasma.
Results revealed multiple, sometimes sex-differentiated, relationships between targets' immune function and others’ perceptions of their attractiveness. Together, this work suggests complex, often sex-differentiated relationships between immune function, health, and attractiveness.
Phagocytosis is the process by which specific white blood cells—such as neutrophils and monocytes—ingest foreign particles like bacteria. That attractive targets had higher rates of phagocytosis, and lower plasma bacterial growth indicates that attractiveness may be related to anti-bacterial immunity. That attractive targets had high rates of phagocytosis, and low neutrophil counts—together—is also consistent with this possibility, demonstrating that attractiveness may also be related to one's immunological efficiency in the face of bacterial threats.
Results revealed that attractive targets (compared to less attractive targets) had higher rates of phagocytosis of E. coli bioparticles (p = 0.042), higher basophil counts (p = 0.004), lower neutrophil counts (p = 0.043), greater NK cell cytotoxicity (p = 0.033; although see figure 1 for interaction effect), and slower rates of S. aureus growth in plasma (p = 0.028; although this effect was stronger in women, p ≤ 0.001, than in men, p = 0.224). There were no significant relationships between attractiveness and cellular proliferation or cytokine production in response to any mitogen or current levels of inflammation (in vivo).

More than just a pretty face? The relationship between immune function and perceived facial attractiveness

Last edited:
I don't understand those words

My immune system is so good it’s insane. Why didn’t I get a matching face with it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back