Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Gaming Long Modern Gaming Critique

Stoopiding1

Stoopiding1

Recruit
★★
I made a similar thread about this topic, but I feel like I didn’t go more in-depth.

I’m kind of retarted so I’m not as knowledgeable when it comes to discussions like this so I will mostly be talking out of my ass. This will mostly be somewhat of a rant. Yes, I know not every game is like what I’m about to list below but this is mostly a problem with mostly Western games to my knowledge but there could be a few examples where Eastern devs are doing this as well. Here are my thoughts on why I personally don’t like modern gaming.

Gameplay: This one varies depending on what type of game you are playing; I think most games for the most part control pretty well though depending on the genre. But the thing I dislike the most about some games is that they try to be too cinematic, and Sony games are notorious for doing things like this, they usually have long cutscenes and they usually also have long walking segments where the characters talk until you get to your destination or they have these weird stealth missions for no reason that everyone universally hates but keeps adding them. Also, since these games are filled with long cutscenes It feels like there is less gameplay. newer games feel like most of them don’t understand how to balance the story and gameplay. Also feels like most games feel really repetitive especially since more games are becoming longer It gets tiring when you’re basically doing the same thing for hours, personally feel like some games should be shorter, A game could be fun but if you are doing the same thing over again it becomes less fun the next time you play, these devs shouldn’t be adding unnecessary task in their games, I believe a game can be long but a lot of games don’t feel justified being so long. Also, feel like a lot of developers and companies are chasing trends a lot of games feel different but also feel the same it's really weird. Although this isn’t every game there are still many great games with good gameplay, but I feel like games with a more realistic direction usually end up having bland and generic gameplay.

Music: Feels like music in video games has become worse over the years, they are just not as memorable. Go into settings in any game that allows you to change volumes and turn everything on mute except the music and just listen to them and you will find that most of these soundtracks aren’t really all that special. Most of the time when playing you won’t even notice the music in the background. A lot of newer games sound so quieter compared to older games, with older games it feels like they really wanted you to listen to the music when playing since it was an integral part of the game. Most of these newer AAA games also love generic orchestra music, not saying orchestra music is bad, but the way these games use it makes it sound generic and lifeless. Go to any YouTube commentary video and there is probably a 90 percent chance that they are using video game music, and most of the songs usually come from games decades ago because those songs are actually memorable. Though this isn’t every game there are still many games out there with amazing soundtracks.

Story: I’m not really a story guy when it comes to games, I usually come for gameplay but sometimes a story can really affect gameplay. Like I said before there are way too many cutscenes feels like there is less focus on gameplay. Feels like these developers care way too much about storytelling which sucks because some video game stories really aren’t that great well at least in my opinion. I feel like the reason why these game companies continue to push stories so heavily is so that they can appease the normies. A lot of normies really don’t care about gameplay and usually only care about the stories and characters. There is a reason why so many normies love games that mostly focus on the story and mystery. Stuff like this reminds me of those memes of persona fans who have never played the game and it really does feel accurate, the way some people talk about games they have never played really goes to show that they probably watched a walkthrough of the games or see a review of it and automatically make an assumption on things that don’t understand. They don’t come for actual gameplay they just care about the story, most internet discourse about a video game mostly comes from story and characters and almost rarely about the gameplay.

Realism: I feel like this is one of the main things that is hurting gaming right now. The chase for realism is really hurting the gaming industry. Graphics have pretty much become the main focus for AAA devs, since they mostly focus on graphics It feels like they forget about everything else. When a new game comes out almost everyone wants to talk about how good the graphics are and are always making stupid comparisons between two different games and how pretty they are. Feels like this always pressures developers to push the limits when it comes to graphics in games. Since games are always getting longer but also more realistic it has an effect on gameplay, when playing a character, they feel sluggish and not as snappy as older games they are always trying to add these weird realistic gimmicks which I feel can hurt the experience when playing. Realism also makes games have huge budgets, these game companies are spending millions of dollars to make games that are not even that good, instead of spending a few million for multiple games, now they have to spend 100 million on one game. Now we have to wait longer for games to come out, back then you only had to wait a year or two for the next game to come out but now you have to wait almost a decade for a game to release, waiting for a game isn’t bad but it is bad when your waiting for a game and don’t even know if the game will be good or not you might have to wait 5 years just to play a buggy garbage mess. Realism just doesn’t make games fun I want a game to be immersive but not to the point where it tries to mimic real life. Also, these games a very poorly optimized, There should be no reason why these games should be hard to run, they don’t even look that good, I bet you could find a game from the early 2010s that still looks great if not better than games today while also running better, are developers getting lazy or is there not enough time to optimize the game, both, I really don’t know.

Wokeness: I am not much of a politics type of guy but when it comes to politics in video games no one can deny that leftist politics do exist in these games. Personally, I don’t think it ruins gameplay all that much but when it comes to things like stories and characters it can be awful, Like the recent example with Starfield with bad-looking NPCs and when it comes to bad-looking NPCs they seem to be more common. Female characters seem to be affected the worst when it comes to bad-looking characters, what is with these developers trying to make these female characters so unappealing? There were many attractive female characters before so why is it so hard to make them now, but I think we all know why. A lot of people have no problem sexualizing male characters, hell even devs like to sexualize male characters but when it comes to female characters it is always journos and developers making excuses on why they can’t have attractive female characters in the game. Diversity is also somewhat of a problem, I personally don’t mind diversity in games I think it could be decent at times but every time there is diversity in games it is mostly garbage, the characters always look like shit, especially the female characters and most of the time they appear in settings that don’t make any sense, why is there black and Hispanic people in medieval Europe it makes no sense. Some people really don’t understand that people will always be skeptical of diverse characters in games because most of the time they are not good, I think it's reasonable for people to be skeptical, what these developers don’t understand is that you make bad diverse characters people will want to see less of them, but if they actually make good characters that are diverse, people will be less skeptical about it, These developers are their own worst enemy. Overall, I’m just wondering how far this wokeness will last, and how far will these developers be able to push their agenda.

Normies: I feel like normies are also a problem when it comes to modern gaming. Toxic positivity seems to be very prevalent in most gaming communities, It is hard to criticize anything because people will dismiss what you have to say if you don’t agree with the masses. If you don’t agree with the woke politics in the game these people will absolutely crucify you and show no mercy. Even big YouTubers are starting to defend woke stuff in games, these people will always be disingenuous and claim that it's not happening or that it's not a big deal, but these people will always try to find a way to defend it. I also feel like women have kind of ruined a lot of gaming spaces sure there were always women in gaming communities but they have been a pretty small minority, ever since the increase of certain female gamers, simps, and normies started to invade the gaming community and turn it into shit, but not only have they affected the gaming communities but also effected gaming companies as well, now these types of people get to decide and influence what is put in these games. Back then gaming wasn’t as big as it is now, Most developers back then usually made games for a small group of people who enjoyed a genre but now gaming has basically become a universal hobby for most, now developers have to satisfy a wide range of people and now they have to make games more easier and accessible for newcomers, not saying it's a bad thing but at times it feels like it really isn’t needed. From my personal experience difficulty in games actually enhances the experiences in games, it creates memories and satisfaction when you finally beat a hard boss or puzzle, This “Give me a story” difficulty just makes no sense like you came to play a game not just watch cutscenes, if you really want to see the story so bad just watch a walkthrough or YouTube video. This is really the problem with normies they invade communities looking for entertainment and once they are done destroying everything you love about it, they move on to the next thing to destroy.

Conclusion: A lot of normies will tell you that gaming has been the best it's ever been, but we all know that's bullshit even they know It. I wish gaming would go back to the way it used to be, but we all know that won’t be happening anytime soon. The best thing you could possibly do is play games that are decent like a game that is actually interesting and fun to play, or you could play an indie game but those still sadly have their fair share of problems, or you could just play old games they are pretty easy to access now especially since emulators exist. Overall modern gaming is pretty bad, but I wouldn’t say it is terrible I still love video games, but we are in a slow decline when it comes to gaming, it really is slowly dying not in terms of success but in quality.

AUwKUuV

Just avoid the faggot normie games. Games are superior nowadays but you cant just buy the big marketed ones most of the time

I agree with OP, but in the end, gaming is just entertainment. It’s just another distraction from the Jews.

Games won’t add anything to your life, it’s only a good hobby if you can’t do something else (because you are tired or disabled).

Entertainment is the worst it's ever been because there are no geniuses anymore

I feel that to my very core, what good is ttrpgs if you cant make dumb jokes with friends without being lynched for making a joke about races, sex jokes, etc.?

It's like theres this slow crushing force on all of us.

what ever happened to the true joy people put into stuff, or the empathy society spouts as their truest principle.

madness I tell you.

Sorry for the necro pump, but this thread got my attention.

i never bothered getting the PS4 or 5, noways feel like developers are ashamed of making games and try to transform everything into cut scenes and Qt Es, instead of trying to convey stuff through game play, some games back then would try to convey story elements throught character actions or at least NPC dialogue where you had options to role play with. this trend of movie game is particularly bad with Sony which i really hate as the PlayStation was my favorite from 6th and 7th gen.

but honestly it feels like all the extra processing power just go to "muh realistic graphics" who will look outdated in just 5 years anyway and age like milk, because it will get compared to more recent realistic games and it has no artistic merit besides realism, while games like Metal Slug look good today as it did in the day it was released, Realistic graphics being prioritized over Artistic vision is murdering this industry, because it not only stifles creativity it also balloon the budgets.

if anything Heaven call of the king, came in 2002 and it had interplanetary space travel with no loading screens in the PS2 with measles 32 mb of ram, meanwhile games like Stanfield completely lack decades old features, the only other games i can think who do that are Elite Dangerous and No Man Sky, 99% of processing power is used for graphics and not to improve game play.

i can't think of games who used this processing power to do game play that was not previously possible related since Spore, Red Faction Guerrilla and Mine craft and those games come in 2008-9, only exception to that is Tear-down which was made by one dude.

and for the music, all the musicians just want to make Hans Zimmer stuff, instead of something groovy that sticks with you, they focus too much in using instruments and not in melody which create samey soundtracks, in the 2000s a lot of games sound tracks would be remixed from trip hop demo CDs which make them quite unique.

i feel like the single player AAA formula was pretty much set on stone by the Witcher 3, it sold over 50 million copies if you ignore Mario, Tetris and Minecraft. The Witcher 3 is the most successful single player non rockstar games ever made, it is pretty much a safe bet for any company that wants to make an AAA game and don't have Rockstar for a name, and now every single game out there just imitates it because it made insane amounts of money while having a much smaller budget than a Rockstar tier project, now everysingle single player AAA game is faded to imitate it, those poles really knew what they where doing.

I will never forget those dreadfully long ccutscene in witcher 3 and rdr2

we finally reached a point where graphics are photorealistic but sadly story took a hit. you cant relate to the character.

we finally reached a point where graphics are photorealistic but sadly story took a hit. you cant relate to the character.
Not many videogames have peaked my curiosity as of lately. Bland plots in AAA titles are the new norm, I'm afraid.

i never bothered getting the PS4 or 5
maybe you are just a poorcel
Realistic graphics being prioritized over Artistic vision is murdering this industry, because it not only stifles creativity it also balloon the budgets.
realistic graphics is necessary otherwise it hurts the eyes
i feel like the single player AAA formula was pretty much set on stone by the Witcher 3, it sold over 50 million copies
I wonder it is becasue the character is chad and the tasks are childish. I felt like I am a peasant who has to run around doing randdom chores.

maybe you are just a poorcel

realistic graphics is necessary otherwise it hurts the eyes

I wonder it is becasue the character is chad and the tasks are childish. I felt like I am a peasant who has to run around doing randdom chores.
bad taste, your realistic slop will be ugly in five years, while games who look like oil paints will forever be beautiful.

i never bothered getting the PS4 or 5, noways feel like developers are ashamed of making games and try to transform everything into cut scenes and Qt Es, instead of trying to convey stuff through game play, some games back then would try to convey story elements throught character actions or at least NPC dialogue where you had options to role play with. this trend of movie game is particularly bad with Sony which i really hate as the PlayStation was my favorite from 6th and 7th gen.
Those movie types of games are mostly the main reason I sold my ps4 and got a pc. I had fun with my ps3 back in the day when I was playing games like uncharted, little big planet, and gta. I remember getting a ps4 and was excited to play uncharted 4 but I was left disappointed, I didn't like the rest of the Sony exclusives either. Most of the games I liked were already on pc or were coming to pc, so I felt like I didn't need a ps4 anymore.
but honestly it feels like all the extra processing power just go to "muh realistic graphics" who will look outdated in just 5 years anyway and age like milk, because it will get compared to more recent realistic games and it has no artistic merit besides realism, while games like Metal Slug look good today as it did in the day it was released, Realistic graphics being prioritized over Artistic vision is murdering this industry, because it not only stifles creativity it also balloon the budgets.
I never really liked realistic graphics, especially now considering they look really ugly and bland. I hate that the video game industry relies way too much on graphics, I honestly feel like games back then looked better than games now, The art direction of games back then made them look unique, you could make a character have over exaggerated body and face proportions and it wouldn't look out of place or weird, even older games that tried to do realism, it still had a good art direction which made them look great. video games that used pixel art still look great, feels like those games never age.

Not very accurate. Also why is undertale on the right? That's literally the faggiest game i've ever tried and it's fanbase is full of furries and troons.

I just looked it up. terraria which is a good game came out in 2011 while life is strange came out in 2015. whoever made that meme is kinda dumb.

Last edited:
Those movie types of games are mostly the main reason I sold my ps4 and got a pc. I had fun with my ps3 back in the day when I was playing games like uncharted, little big planet, and gta. I remember getting a ps4 and was excited to play uncharted 4 but I was left disappointed, I didn't like the rest of the Sony exclusives either. Most of the games I liked were already on pc or were coming to pc, so I felt like I didn't need a ps4 anymore.
Uncharted 4 you get your ass kicked by some black chick multiple times, independent how good you are at the game, like some 90s JRPG. the guy who designed that is a idiot.
the PS5 has three launched exclusive games and who are not VR, after three years of being on market, and one of them is a Remake, the rest of the games where either ported to Steam or can also be played on PS4, there is honestly little reason to buy a PS5 unless you are short on money to get a Video Card, and even then a Xbox would do the same job for cheaper.

i guess you can play PS4 games in compatibility mode, but you can't even play indies because neither of them support OpenGL or Vulkan, and Games need a entire graphics API just to support them, and the worst part is that the PS4 used to support OpenGL but it was dropped by Sony for no fucking reason through firmware updates.

tl dr: you don't have neither exclusives or indies there, so you pay more for fewer games.

I never really liked realistic graphics, especially now considering they look really ugly and bland. I hate that the video game industry relies way too much on graphics, I honestly feel like games back then looked better than games now, The art direction of games back then made them look unique, you could make a character have over exaggerated body and face proportions and it wouldn't look out of place or weird, even older games that tried to do realism, it still had a good art direction which made them look great. video games that used pixel art still look great, feels like those games never age.
Kratos from the PS2 God of War games had 5700 polygons, modern games are bumping 200k polygons per character, and honestly i think God of War looked way more interesting than 95% of games noways despite the limited tech. obsession with realism is causing budgets to balloon which cause risk aversion and limited scope, the tech side has to be all sacrificed in the altar of realistic graphics.

SBMM SBMM SBMM SBMM SBMM SBMM

This is why i prefer old games, specially the 1 player ones