Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Experiment What do u use to take notes/study?

• Thread starter Transcended Trucel
  • Start date

Which study tools do you use?

• Total voters
Transcended Trucel

Transcended Trucel

Peace & Dharma ; Vishwaguru India!
★★★★★
title. Been studying for job interviews( bored of current job) and maybe will get a masters in something. So trying to find optimal study methods/tools.

I use computer 90% of time maybe. But for rote memorization, I sometimes use writing + flashcards. Also for math/STEM topics, I use paper. But have heard good things of using Ipad + smart pen too. I tested it and did find it pretty good, haven't bought one yet though might soon.

I use cell phone to check in on random chores/tasks/reminders. I still use PC app to have most of my schedule and task though for now ATM.

tagging youngcels/studycels. @mistersinister @kanyepilled @Broly @Dravidiancel @Zer0/∞ @이지금 @SecularNeo-Khazar @ethniccel1 @based_meme @fast_curry @Philistine @Subhumanoid

I mostly use my computer, but I also like to keep a notepad around to sketch down ideas. I sometimes space out if I stare at the screen for too long. I think it's always a good idea to do a bit of context switching to help focus.

反正在兩年就不用唸書了

I mostly use my computer, but I also like to keep a notepad around to sketch down ideas. I sometimes space out if I stare at the screen for too long. I think it's always a good idea to do a bit of context switching to help focus.
Makes sense. Screen can be too much at times

based Anki cel. I used to use it more but not as useful for programmer cels. I just use it to get vocabulary but really isn't needed to memorize.

Paper and pencil/pen always worked for me

i don't study at all

Last edited:
I stopped taking notes because it's useless and inefficient. Go through the material before the lecture, ponder about it, look stuff up you don't understand etc. With topics like chemistry/math/physics write down important equations to get into the habit. You should be familiar with all the material before going to the lecture, the only thing you should be doing during a lecture is listening and asking questions.

I use pen and paper but I skip notes for most classes and daydream about 18 year old cunnies.I need to focus on studies more.Thanks for reminding me

I sometimes imagine myself teaching others, like I daydream and walk around the house dreaming about teaching a class about what I've learnt.

Also a studycel, currently studying biology/psychology. Idk what subject you're going into, but if you need to do a lot of annotating of papers alongside rote memorization, buying an iPad (if you have the means) is definitely the way to go.

I bought the iPad last summer and it's probably been one of the greatest investments into my education. It becomes your interface for notes, textbooks (free if you can find on libgen) and papers you're assigned. Before I bought an iPad, writing down notes and rote memorizing them was my preferred way to study. I haven't really changed from that much, the iPad (if anything) makes it easier to write said notes (can copy/paste), easier to carry around the house when memorizing (unlike having notes on a laptop/desktop) and generally memorize (since you're still writing information down if you like memorizing that way).

However, if your only aim is to improve your memory recall for certain concepts, definitely get Anki, its elite. You have to be consistent with it, but every course I've created an Anki deck in, and been diligent, I've done really well in

I saw you tagged me in the OP but for some reason I didn’t get an alert so I just stumbled upon the thread now.

I don’t take notes. Our professors don’t test on anything that’s not on the powerpoint so that’s what I study off of.

First, attend the lecture with full concentration. Nothing on my desk, eyes are up front, not looking at my phone or other people’s laptop screens.

Ideally take 10 minutes when you come home to briefly review all the material, and summarize in your head the main concepts. Anything you don’t understand should be clarified ASAP with a TA or office hours or an email.

Allow yourself time to forget the material a bit. Wait a week or so before studying. Then when I study I don’t reread, I practice recalling by looking away from the screen and trying to recall everything on the slide.

I don’t binge study. Take a nice break every 30-45 mins, and never study more than a couple hours at a time.

Get a good night’s sleep so you can consolidate that information.

Usually if you are diligent and honest with yourself about spacing out your studying and doing recall instead of rereading, it doesn’t take much for the material to really sink in your long term memory. 3 or 4 study sessions is enough. The important thing is giving yourself those weeks and even months ahead to allow forgetting in between study sessions.

All this is encompassed in what cognitive psychologists like to call desirable difficulty. The more difficult it feels when learning, the better and more effectively we learn.
It’s really cool stuff. They’ve done studies where even by reading in a more illegible font leads to better retention.

//

In terms of actual study tools I use my home PC, lecture PPTs or PDFs, sometimes there are old practice tests, summary notes from a generous classmate (although usually these are overly verbose and have some errors so 9/10 times I prefer the professor’s source material).

I don’t do planning or reminders. The date of the test shouldn’t matter if you are keeping up with good study habits. The week of the test you should already be so confident in the material that you can be chilling, and definitely no studying the night before.

I have an outlook calendar with my basic course schedule and I always look use the 3-day view so I can focus on the immediate future. It’s enough to just use my brain to remember what I have to do today and tomorrow.

Instead of task planning or todo lists just do something. I just pick something and start studying, why waste time?

Last edited:
title. Been studying for job interviews( bored of current job) and maybe will get a masters in something. So trying to find optimal study methods/tools.

I use computer 90% of time maybe. But for rote memorization, I sometimes use writing + flashcards. Also for math/STEM topics, I use paper. But have heard good things of using Ipad + smart pen too. I tested it and did find it pretty good, haven't bought one yet though might soon.

I use cell phone to check in on random chores/tasks/reminders. I still use PC app to have most of my schedule and task though for now ATM.

tagging youngcels/studycels. @mistersinister @kanyepilled @Broly @Dravidiancel @Zer0/∞ @이지금 @SecularNeo-Khazar @ethniccel1 @based_meme @fast_curry @Philistine @Subhumanoid
70% computer 15% tablet 10% paper 5% everything else

For every 5 hours of learning something, I spend 1 hour or slightly less/more to repeat it Then, after finishing the chapter I repeat it in one day, everything that I can remember. I write it down on paper, scan it and save it, then try and (but I am generally to lazy at that point) to write down everything that I forgot and is important. Scan it and save it. This way I create a conspect of the most important things that I tell mysel to memorize and try and do it. Eveyrthing else is just context.

I use my phone mainly to read novels or small notes from the internet, shift documents in folders and photos of stuff I took while learning.

When working with books, I write in word, it helps me to summarize what's in them and also allows me to customize the text how I like.

If I have problems I go to a tutor, and I pay him to prepare stuff for me and check my knowladge, the tutor is the sharpening stone.

For every 5 hours of learning something, I spend 1 hour or slightly less/more to repeat it Then, after finishing the chapter I repeat it in one day, everything that I can remember. I write it down on paper, scan it and save it, then try and (but I am generally to lazy at that point) to write down everything that I forgot and is important. Scan it and save it. This way I create a conspect of the most important things that I tell mysel to memorize and try and do it. Eveyrthing else is just context.

I use my phone mainly to read novels or small notes from the internet, shift documents in folders and photos of stuff I took while learning.

When working with books, I write in word, it helps me to summarize what's in them and also allows me to customize the text how I like.

If I have problems I go to a tutor, and I pay him to prepare stuff for me and check my knowladge, the tutor is the sharpening stone.
Seems like a good setup tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back