Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Question to America cels about the word "Indian"

FinnCel

FinnCel

Alcoholcel
★★★★★
Why do you just have one word?
Indian can refer to native Americans our people of Asian origin.

In Finnish we have
Intiaani (native American)
Intialainen (actual indian)

And the ironic part is that we don't have much contact with either :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek:

red people and gas station owners

red people and gas station owners
Isn't that kinda racist?
full

Just call them curries

Hindustani = curry = Indian (dot)
Indios = indigenous = native = Indian (feather)

The Indians (people who were here before us) are now called first nations people. (In Canada at least)

In Arabic we have two words of indian. For Indians of India we use the word Al-Hunud and for the indigenous people of America we use the expression Al-Hunud Al-Humr (it literally means Red Indians). We call them Red Indians because of their reddish skin color.

I’ve yet to see a Native American before in my life

I vaguely remember in my history lesson we were told that when the colonizers first arrived at NA, they were actually convinced that they arrived at curryland by circling around the earth. When they finally realized that the locals didn't make curry, it was too late to change the already fucked up terminology.

Thrown as an insult in some places

The Indians (people who were here before us) are now called first nations people. (In Canada at least)
Tbh. The only time I hear people refer to the natives as indian are my grandparents, and even then they say amerindian

Indier = curries

Indianer = native americans

IN swedish

We call the natives Indians because we don’t care enough about them to call them a proper name. They are dirty disgusting savages to us.

We call the natives Indians because we don’t care enough about them to call them a proper name. They are dirty disgusting savages to us.
heya hoya heya hoya heya hoya heya hoya

In Arabic we have two words of indian. For Indians of India we use the word Al-Hunud and for the indigenous people of America we use the expression Al-Hunud Al-Humr (it literally means Red Indians). We call them Red Indians because of their reddish skin color.
I thought Al Hind was Arabic for Indian(dot)?

Its leftover from when people called central america the west indies because they thought they had crossed the pacific and reached india, before they knew america even existed. I call people from america native americans and i call people from india indians and most people here dont just say “indian” to refer to native americans anymore.

But even if they use the same word you still know which theyre theyre talking about from the context.

The whole naming scheme is stupid, though, because there are also native americans from central and south america who are not called native americans, but usually “latinos” or “hispanics”. Or sometimes they are just called mexicans.

In lithuanian we have
Indėnai (native American)
Indai (actual indian)
Indai (dishes)

I’ve yet to see a Native American before in my life
I partied with a group in Arizona once. Nice bunch of fellas.
woke up in the drunk tank!

Blame Columbus for this.
He thought he discovered India when he arrived in the Americas.

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back