Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

SuicideFuel Math thread problem (official)

I should be right at home here with a masters in math but I don't know how to solve the penultimate problem, and I was always weak in geometry. I'm really good at calculus, though. Taking a derivative or inverse just seems to make it worse.
I tried to solve it by introducing Cartesian coordinates, but it don't seem like the math is working out.
you have a masters in math. you should be able to solve it. i could definitely solve it, i just need to read a wikipedia article on ellipses so i can understand wtf the terminology means
How did you do it?

I tried to solve it by introducing Cartesian coordinates, but it don't seem like the math is working out.

How did you do it?
i haven't actually given it a try yet. but bashing it out with cartesian coordinates doesn't seem to be the move. i'll spend today working on the problem

Physics problem:
79c2fd1daef8424bbb4cae4c9e40529a

A sphere of mass m plugs a circular hole of radius r at the bottom of a container filled with water of density ρ. Lowering the water level slowly, at a given moment the sphere detaches itself from the bottom of the container. Find the height h of the water, in terms of the constants given, level for this to happen, knowing that the top of the sphere, at a height a from the bottom of the container, remains always covered with water

An easy one: Let the curve be determined by the locus of the centers of the circles in R² , which are tangent to the line x = 2 and pass through the point (6,4) . Therefore, the tangent line to this curve through the point (6,8) has which equation?

An easy one: Let the curve be determined by the locus of the centers of the circles in R² , which are tangent to the line x = 2 and pass through the point (6,4) . Therefore, the tangent line to this curve through the point (6,8) has which equation?
The curve is the parabola given by (x - 2)^2 = (x - 6)^2 + (y - 4)^2 -- i.e., 8x = y^2 - 8y + 48. Now, dx/dy = y/4 - 1, so the desired tangent has equation x = (8/4 - 1)*(y - 8) + 6 = y - 2.

The curve is the parabola given by (x - 2)^2 = (x - 6)^2 + (y - 4)^2 -- i.e., 8x = y^2 - 8y + 48. Now, dx/dy = y/4 - 1, so the desired tangent has equation x = (8/4 - 1)*(y - 8) + 6 = y - 2.
Correct :feelsokman:

A ninja, with his super sharp sword, splits a 1 meter long staff into three parts with 2 random blows. What is the probability that these parts can form a triangle?

A ninja, with his super sharp sword, splits a 1 meter long staff into three parts with 2 random blows. What is the probability that these parts can form a triangle?
Very flavorful problem. By virtue of the triangle inequality, we want to find the probability that that longest of the three pieces doesn't exceed the combined length of the other two. Let X & Z denote the positions of the two random cuts (in metres) and let m & M be their minimum and maximum resp. I'll assume X & Z are independent. The probability we seek can be expressed as 1 - P(m > 1/2) - P(M < 1/2) - P(M - m > 1/2). Now,
  • P(m > 1/2) = P(X > 1/2)*P(Z > 1/2) = (1/2)*(1/2) = 1/4
  • P(M < 1/2) = P(X < 1/2)*P(Z < 1/2) = (1/2)*(1/2) = 1/4
  • P(M - m > 1/2) = P(|X - Z| > 1/2) = (1/2)^3 + (1/2)^3 = 1/4 by geometric considerations (utilizing that (X,Z) is uniformly distributed on the unit square)
All in all, the desideratum is therefore 1/4.

Last edited:
i haven't actually given it a try yet. but bashing it out with cartesian coordinates doesn't seem to be the move. i'll spend today working on the problem
Did you end up solving it?

Very flavorful problem. By virtue of the triangle inequality, we want to find the probability that that longest of the three pieces doesn't exceed the combined length of the other two. Let X & Z denote the positions of the two random cuts (in metres) and let m & M be their minimum and maximum resp. I'll assume X & Z are independent. The probability we seek can be expressed as 1 - P(m > 1/2) - P(M < 1/2) - P(M - m > 1/2). Now,
  • P(M - m > 1/2) = P(|X - Z| > 1/2) = (1/2)^3 + (1/2)^3 = 1/4 by geometric considerations (utilizing that (X,Z) is uniformly distributed on the unit square)
Correct :feelsokman:

Your iq is mogger level

Did you end up solving it?
not really, i suspect a change of coordinates would help, but i'm too lazy to learn the math behind cylindrical, polar coordinates?
or too lazy to learn the math behind conic sections.

i just wrapped up a full courseload of math courses and i'm dead and i'm trying to love my 3 weeks off hehhee

EDIT: no fuck this imma finish the problem. its my duty because its driving me crazy that i dont know how to prove

Last edited:
how are some of you fuckers so quick?

My nigga @Caesercel you answer basically everything. How are you here with that Brain? I hope you weren’t my giga expert maths teacher whom I hated and was also inkwell.

What are you? Asian or Indian?

And yes you too greycel @Ahnfeltia
@trying to ascend @Fallenleaves

What do you guys do irl? Just curious

@Ahnfeltia @trying to ascend Give me a basic integral question except improper ones (I've just started learning improper integrals)

Also, I expected you to be here @PPEcel :feelshehe:

@Ahnfeltia @trying to ascend Give me a basic integral question except improper ones (I've just started learning improper integrals)
(1 + x² + sqrt(1 - x²))/sqrt((1 - x4)(1 + x²))

It's meant to be x to the power of 4

here
i wasted 3 minutes overleafing this. if you want solutions just ask for em, but give em a good try first. they aren't easy
Screenshot 117

damn i give up on the ellipse problem, too much alphabet soup

Ok I failed

Integral of 1/sqrt (1-x^4) + integral of sqrt(1-x^2)/sqrt(1-x^4)*(1+x^2)
Simplify and you will end up with 1 + x² + sqrt(1 - x²)/(1 + x²)(sqrt(1 - x²).

If you call the term 1 + x² as a, and the other as b, you will notice that it's the same as 1/(1 + x²) + 1/sqrt(1 - x²), since it's (a + b)/ab.

Then you can just apply two triognometric integrals and you will end up with arctgx + arcsinx

Last edited:
How does sqrt (1-x4) simplify into sqrt(1-x^2), provided all the other terms in the original function and simplified one remain the same
1 - x4 = (1 + x²)(1 - x²).

Since there is another (1 + x²), we can take it out of the root and just (1 - x²) will remain there

1 - x4 = (1 + x²)(1 - x²).

Since there is another (1 + x²), we can take it out of the root and just (1 - x²) will remain there
I miswrote the question, damn it
@trying to ascend @Ahnfeltia send another one

how are some of you fuckers so quick?
It's genetics; they have specifically chosen to further apply it in physics or mathematics, however. :society:

here
i wasted 3 minutes overleafing this. if you want solutions just ask for em, but give em a good try first. they aren't easy
View attachment 689619
(b) is just IBP
(c) is trivial after substituting x = sec(q)
(a) is trivial after substituting x = 1/y

Did I get the ideas right? I'm too lazy to actually calculate them

(b) is just IBP
(c) is trivial after substituting x = sec(q)
(a) is trivial after substituting x = 1/y

Did I get the ideas right? I'm too lazy to actually calculate them
yeah you did it the cleanest way possible; intended solution.
yea at one point you just know the method but don't bother to compute the integral because we aren't first year math students lol.

yea at one point you just know the method but don't bother to compute the integral because we aren't first year math students lol.
I tend to do too much in my head. I could benefit from writing out more stuff. In this case however, I'm confident I could solve those integrals off the top of my head. Nice assortment of integrals btw.

Start off by evaluating points D, M, M’, D’ of the elipse.

You can solve it with elementary math
I think that's exactly what I tried. If I'm not mistaken, the Cartesian coordinates (taking the center of the ellipse as the origin) of M & M' are pretty ugly (involving quadratic surds). Is that right?

Find the function f(x), such that

f((x-3)/(x + 1)) + f((x + 3)/(1 - x)) = x
Let g(x) = (x - 3)/(x + 1). Note that g(g(x)) = (x + 3)/(1 - x) and g(g(g(x))) = x. We are given that f(g(x)) + f(g(g(x))) = x. Ergo
  • f(g(g(y)) + f(y) = g(y)
  • f(z) + f(g(z)) = g(g(z))
where we plugged in x = g(y) and y = g(z). Subtracting the OG equation from the sum of the two derived equations yields that 2f(w) = g(w) + g(g(w)) - w. Simplifying results in f(x) = x(7 + x^2)/(2 - 2x^2).

False. If you differentiate this, you'll get a factor of 5x^4 because of the chain rule.
It's impossible, IBP, trig sub, u-sub and IBPF can't be used

Why are there 20 bluepillers