Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

SuicideFuel Math thread problem (official)

Ahnfeltia

Ahnfeltia

daring to be stupid
★★
11d 12h 58m
yea at one point you just know the method but don't bother to compute the integral because we aren't first year math students lol.
I tend to do too much in my head. I could benefit from writing out more stuff. In this case however, I'm confident I could solve those integrals off the top of my head. Nice assortment of integrals btw.

Ahnfeltia

Ahnfeltia

daring to be stupid
★★
11d 12h 58m
Start off by evaluating points D, M, M’, D’ of the elipse.

You can solve it with elementary math
I think that's exactly what I tried. If I'm not mistaken, the Cartesian coordinates (taking the center of the ellipse as the origin) of M & M' are pretty ugly (involving quadratic surds). Is that right?

Ahnfeltia

Ahnfeltia

daring to be stupid
★★
11d 12h 58m
Find the function f(x), such that

f((x-3)/(x + 1)) + f((x + 3)/(1 - x)) = x
Let g(x) = (x - 3)/(x + 1). Note that g(g(x)) = (x + 3)/(1 - x) and g(g(g(x))) = x. We are given that f(g(x)) + f(g(g(x))) = x. Ergo
  • f(g(g(y)) + f(y) = g(y)
  • f(z) + f(g(z)) = g(g(z))
where we plugged in x = g(y) and y = g(z). Subtracting the OG equation from the sum of the two derived equations yields that 2f(w) = g(w) + g(g(w)) - w. Simplifying results in f(x) = x(7 + x^2)/(2 - 2x^2).

Fallenleaves

Fallenleaves

Ogre
★★★★★
73d 20h 55m
False. If you differentiate this, you'll get a factor of 5x^4 because of the chain rule.
It's impossible, IBP, trig sub, u-sub and IBPF can't be used

Fallenleaves

Fallenleaves

Ogre
★★★★★
73d 20h 55m
Why are there 20 bluepillers

Caesercel

Caesercel

Salem’s Lot Cel
★★★★★
331d 23h 48m
My nigga @Caesercel you answer basically everything.
Its just old practice. And I don't answer everything, only problems I can casually solve in my head. A few other users are pretty good

trying to ascend

trying to ascend

Oldcel KHHV
★★★★★
373d 3h 21m
It's impossible, IBP, trig sub, u-sub and IBPF can't be used
I mean, if you want to undo an implicit differentiation, all those may not work

Last edited:
trying to ascend

trying to ascend

Oldcel KHHV
★★★★★
373d 3h 21m
Be f(x) a cubic polynomial with real coefficients, such that:

∣ f(1) ∣ = ∣ f(2) ∣ = ∣ f(3) ∣ = ∣ f(5) ∣ = ∣ f(6)∣ = ∣ f(7) ∣ = 12.

Find ∣ f(0)

Ahnfeltia

Ahnfeltia

daring to be stupid
★★
11d 12h 58m
Be f(x) a cubic polynomial with real coefficients, such that:

∣ f(1) ∣ = ∣ f(2) ∣ = ∣ f(3) ∣ = ∣ f(5) ∣ = ∣ f(6)∣ = ∣ f(7) ∣ = 12.

Find ∣ f(0)
Let p(x) = f(x - 4). Then |p(±1)| = |p(±2)| = |p(±3)| = 12. Supposing p is odd, we want to find a & c such that p(x) = ax^3 + cx and |p(1)| = |p(2)| = |p(3)| = 12. We can turn this into a linear system of equations -- namely
  • a + c = p(1) = ±12
  • 8a + 2c = p(2) = ±12
  • 27a + 3c = p(3) = ±12
Because the above linear system is overdetermined, we should be able to express one of the three left-hand sides as a linear combination of the other two. Indeed, 4(8a + 2c) - 5(a + c) = 27a + 3c, so we immediately see that p(1) & p(2) must have the same sign. Which sign p(1) & p(2) share doesn't matter, because swapping the sign would amount to negating p and we're only interested in the absolute value of f(0) = p(-4). WLOG we'll therefore solve
  • a + c = -12
  • 8a + 2c = -12
Skipping the boring details, a = 2 & c = -14, so p(x) = 2x^3 - 14x and |p(-4)| = |2*64 - 56| = 72.

Anyone else care to prove that the p I've found is the only solution (up to sign) to the system |p(±1)| = |p(±2)| = |p(±3)| = 12?

Fallenleaves

Fallenleaves

Ogre
★★★★★
73d 20h 55m
@trying to ascend @Ahnfeltia

What exactly does convergent and divergent mean when calculating improper integrals, I get the definition but is there some meaning behind the 2 ways of describing improper integrals?

Fallenleaves

Fallenleaves

Ogre
★★★★★
73d 20h 55m
What area of math should I self-study after calculus? @Ahnfeltia @trying to ascend

trying to ascend

trying to ascend

Oldcel KHHV
★★★★★
373d 3h 21m
Let p(x) = f(x - 4). Then |p(±1)| = |p(±2)| = |p(±3)| = 12. Supposing p is odd, we want to find a & c such that p(x) = ax^3 + cx and |p(1)| = |p(2)| = |p(3)| = 12. We can turn this into a linear system of equations -- namely
  • a + c = p(1) = ±12
  • 8a + 2c = p(2) = ±12
  • 27a + 3c = p(3) = ±12
Because the above linear system is overdetermined, we should be able to express one of the three left-hand sides as a linear combination of the other two. Indeed, 4(8a + 2c) - 5(a + c) = 27a + 3c, so we immediately see that p(1) & p(2) must have the same sign. Which sign p(1) & p(2) share doesn't matter, because swapping the sign would amount to negating p and we're only interested in the absolute value of f(0) = p(-4). WLOG we'll therefore solve
  • a + c = -12
  • 8a + 2c = -12
Skipping the boring details, a = 2 & c = -14, so p(x) = 2x^3 - 14x and |p(-4)| = |2*64 - 56| = 72.

Anyone else care to prove that the p I've found is the only solution (up to sign) to the system |p(±1)| = |p(±2)| = |p(±3)| = 12?
Correct :feelsokman:

Ahnfeltia

Ahnfeltia

daring to be stupid
★★
11d 12h 58m
Very funny
that was not a joke
Wolfram Mathematica disagrees. Curiously the solution features the golden ratio prominently. I imagine the way to solve for the antiderivative of 1/(1+x^5) is to notice that 1+x^5 = (1+x)(1-x+x^2-x^3+x^4) and to further notice that 1-x+x^2-x^3+x^4 = (1+ax+x^2)(1+bx+x^2) for some a & b by the fundamental theorem of algebra and judicious guessing. Solving for a & b readily yields that -- without loss of generality -- a is minus the golden ratio and b is the reciprocal of the golden ratio. At this point, you can probably go thru some onerous partial fraction decomposition to arrive at the answer.

Ahnfeltia

Ahnfeltia

daring to be stupid
★★
11d 12h 58m
What exactly does convergent and divergent mean when calculating improper integrals, I get the definition but is there some meaning behind the 2 ways of describing improper integrals?
Improper integrals are limits. Convergent improper integrals are limits that converge to an actual number. Divergent improper integrals -- on the other hand -- are limits that either go off to (minus) infinity or end up oscillating.

Fallenleaves

Fallenleaves

Ogre
★★★★★
73d 20h 55m
Improper integrals are limits. Convergent improper integrals are limits that converge to an actual number. Divergent improper integrals -- on the other hand -- are limits that either go off to (minus) infinity or end up oscillating.

Ahnfeltia

Ahnfeltia

daring to be stupid
★★
11d 12h 58m
Yeah I've seen this video from his channel:

I've recently unsubscribed as most of his content is too advanced for me at this point of time.

ah ok

Inceldia

Inceldia

Officer
★★★
8d 21h 46m
You people are sick.
I have to do a lot of math for school now and it makes me wanna kill myself.
I HATE MATH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CountBleck

CountBleck

Officer
10d 7h 25m
You people are sick.
I HATE MATH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i mean, i get it. i thought history was a gay useless subject in high school. i dunno just leave the math nerds to our math

trying to ascend

trying to ascend

Oldcel KHHV
★★★★★
373d 3h 21m
You people are sick.
What is the subject?

Inceldia

Inceldia

Officer
★★★
8d 21h 46m
i mean, i get it. i thought history was a gay useless subject in high school. i dunno just leave the math nerds to our math
I respect math and high iq mathincels and I know its important for many things but please dont force me to do it:cryfeels:
I feel very bad rn and I think it is atleast partially bc of school math.
What is the subject?
Algebra, Vectors, Matrix, population-calculation rn :feelsrope:
but after that and a couple other topics I will have to write a big exam on all math things I "learned" fuck my life.

CountBleck

CountBleck

Officer
10d 7h 25m
I respect math and high iq mathincels and I know its important for many things but please dont force me to do it:cryfeels:
yeah it sucks, but i mean you'll get through it then you won't have to think about math anymore

Inceldia

Inceldia

Officer
★★★
8d 21h 46m
yeah it sucks, but i mean you'll get through it then you won't have to think about math anymore
I thought this way multiple times and each time it came back to rape my asshole telling me "I aint done with you yet"
I hope this time after I did that exam and passed is truly the last time.

trying to ascend

trying to ascend

Oldcel KHHV
★★★★★
373d 3h 21m

Algebra, Vectors, Matrix, population-calculation rn :feelsrope:
but after that and a couple other topics I will have to write a big exam on all math things I "learned" fuck my life.
You will do well bhai.

Are you in college or HS?

Grim_Reaper

Grim_Reaper

Ostracized by humans
★★★★★
14d 5h 32m
What area of math should I self-study after calculus? @Ahnfeltia @trying to ascend
Linear algebra, differential equations, real/complex analysis, topology.

Inceldia

Inceldia

Officer
★★★
8d 21h 46m
You will do well bhai.

Are you in college or HS?
Thanks for the reassuring words bro.
Im not a youngcel, I am redoing some schoolstuff with an online-course.
After I passed the exam(s) I can and will go to university.

Retardinator

Retardinator

Not made for this world
★★★
69d 19h 27m
I hate math so much that the existence of this thread pisses me off