Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

LifeFuel Did you know the national flower of Scotland is a thistle?

wasted12years

wasted12years

Overlord
★★★★★
Do you know the story behind why the thistle became the national flower of Scotland? A Norwegian viking tried sneaking up on the scots and stepped on a thistle and screamed out loud in pain. This alerted the Scottish warriors, that's why it became the national plant or flower of Scotland.

I actually dug up wild thistles from the woods and planted in my garden. They have a very deep root system and are very difficult to exterminate, but since i love how they look and they are good for insects i have like 10 full sized ones now, soon they will bloom.

800px Cirsium palustre01

JR47320

JR23236

Cirs palu 1 Viikki JK large

An example of how the root system can look:

Tistel

Have you ever stepped on a thistle before?

dont know, dont care

Nice piece of history, thanks

Only been to ireland before in the UK continent btw

Cool looking flower

Cool looking flower
I remember stepping on it as a kid, it kinda hurt. Now it wouldn't bother me since i'm barefoot in the grass all the time. I even walk barefoot on sharp rocks sometimes.

Looks less like a flower and more like a weed. A painful one, at that.

Looks less like a flower and more like a weed. A painful one, at that.
Most weeds bloom, they are flowers, but modern society has demonized weed. I've planted all kinds of flowering "weeds" in my garden. They are both beautiful and free. They also don't need any care to thrive. "Weeds" are necessary for biodiversity.

I remember stepping on it as a kid, it kinda hurt. Now it wouldn't bother me since i'm barefoot in the grass all the time. I even walk barefoot on sharp rocks sometimes.
I think i had it once back in the yard among weed, i never walk barefoot not even indoor. I feel vulnerable and weird barefoot.

Most weeds bloom, they are flowers, but modern society has demonized weed. I've planted all kinds of flowering "weeds" in my garden. They are both beautiful and free. They also don't need any care to thrive. "Weeds" are necessary for biodiversity.
Weeds compete with crops for space, light, water, and nutrients. Weeding is worth it, and the are observable benefits that are obvious to anyone that has spent time gardening or farming. That isn’t to say that every weed needs to be exterminated and your beds need be completely sterile to have good crops. As you rightly pointed out, diversity and the presence of roots in the soil is good for that soil.

My mum makes sure to remove any grasses from her gardens as they are some of the biggest competitors. Pigweeds, goosefoots, thistles, wild lettuces and other things that grow tall she tries to scuffle up when they get noticeably overgrown and she leaves their carcasses in the beds as mulch. Low growing forbs like dandelion, plantago, shepherd’s purse, purslane, and others she will leave alone if they aren’t crowding the crops.

dnr but I knew that.

I prefer north western Scotland due to its Gaelic heritage. The rest of Scotland are just English in my eyes due to their Anglo roots. Although there is a large Irish population in Glasgow due to the 1800s famine. My great grandfather was born in Glasgow because his parents were working there.

Weeds compete with crops for space, light, water, and nutrients. Weeding is worth it, and the are observable benefits that are obvious to anyone that has spent time gardening or farming. That isn’t to say that every weed needs to be exterminated and your beds need be completely sterile to have good crops. As you rightly pointed out, diversity and the presence of roots in the soil is good for that soil.

My mum makes sure to remove any grasses from her gardens as they are some of the biggest competitors. Pigweeds, goosefoots, thistles, wild lettuces and other things that grow tall she tries to scuffle up when they get noticeably overgrown and she leaves their carcasses in the beds as mulch. Low growing forbs like dandelion, plantago, shepherd’s purse, purslane, and others she will leave alone if they aren’t crowding the crops.
I have an area with only flowering weeds and meadows then i have an area with only vegetables at the other side far away from the weeds. I have a big garden.

I have an area with only flowering weeds and meadows then i have an area with only vegetables at the other side far away from the weeds. I have a big garden.
I see. I don't think gardening would be a good cope for me, but my mom loves it. She's growing a variety of vegetables too, including asparagus, tomatoes, and peas. Although I think she definitely has too many plants, she is happy to take care of her backyard garden. The problem with hers, in my opinion, is that it usually takes two hours to water them all.

I see. I don't think gardening would be a good cope for me, but my mom loves it, and she grows vegetables too. Peas, tomatoes, and asparagus are just a few of the ones she's growing. Although she definitely has too many plants, she is happy to take care of her backyard garden. The problem with hers, in my opinion, is that it usually takes two hours to water them all.
Sounds like a fun cope to water plants for two hrs. She should maybe get a automatic watering system like i have.

Roll it up and pass it to me :smonk:

Do you know the story behind why the thistle became the national flower of Scotland? A Norwegian viking tried sneaking up on the scots and stepped on a thistle and screamed out loud in pain. This alerted the Scottish warriors, that's why it became the national plant or flower of Scotland.
:feelskek:

Based thread, can't believe I didn't know this until now.

I know thistles from the line "The thistle [Scotland], shamrock [Ireland], rose entwine [England] / The Maple Leaf [Canada] forever" from "The Maple Leaf Forever."

Over for Vikingwarriorcels

The origin story is not very plausible.

The foids of the plant kingdom. Either those or flytraps.