Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Where did the Term "Chad" Originate?

ItheIthe

ItheIthe

Legend
Anyone? Why not Steven or Thomas?

ItheIthe said:
Anyone? Why not Steven or Thomas?

Because Steven and Thomas are normie names at best. Chad is the kind of name that you would hear at college parties. I don't know if the term originated from anywhere specific.

Pretty sure it came from here:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165905221

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/chad-thundercock

About
Chad Thundercock is a nickname for any attractive, popular men who are sexually successful with women. Similar to the term “Normies”, Chad and his female counterpart Stacy are often used as pejoratives by those who consider themselves nonconformists on 4chan’s /r9k/ board.
Origin
In Chicago, Illinois during the 1990s, “Chad” became a derogatory slang term for young, successful white men in their 20s and early 30s.[5] On June 1st, 2006, Urban Dictionary[1] user Mav Himself submitted an entry for “Chad,” defining him as a guy who “goes to the bar to pick up chicks.” On August 9th, 2013, Urban Dictionary[4] user Dr. James Russell submitted an entry for “Chad Thundercock,” which defined the character as a “stereotypical high school/college alpha male” who is “successful with women” (shown below).

Spread
On August 10th, 2013, the Chad Thundercock Tumblr[7] blog was launched. On January 9th, 2015, BodyBuilding Forums[6] user oogahboogah submitted a post titled “Going on Tinder as Chad Thundercock is beyond depressing,” featuring screenshots of Tinder chat sessions using a fake profile (shown below).

On March 23rd, Redditor invicticide submitted a post questioning how Chad became “the default name for alpha douchebros” to the /r/ForeverAlone[3] subreddit, to which Redditor ian_n cited the /r9k/ board on 4chan as the origin of the meme. On April 18th, YouTuber 4chan Sound Effects uploaded a video titled “Chad Thundercock Shows You How to Ree,” in which a voice over introduces himself as Chad Thundercock and proceeds to make a loud “Ree” noise (shown below).

On May 21st, Redditor JayEster submitted a post to the /r/justneckbeardthings subreddit questioning what the female counterpart to Chad Thundercock was, to which Redditor Thepaladinofchaos replied “Stacy thundercunt. Shes a varsity cheerleader with a 4.0 gpa.” On July 15th, Redditor whatthefuckisreddit submitted a screenshot of a gruesome 4chan post titled “Chad and Stacy fantasy” to the /r/4chan[2] subreddit, where it gained over 4,100 votes (92% upvoted) and 190 comments in two months.

My guess would be r9k, but others are saying body building forums and even before that. So, who knows?

Because its a name that you would not associate with an ugly/uncool person. Chad is not the only one, its just the most popular. Other names would be like Brad or Romeo

flowerful said:
Because its a name that you would not associate with an ugly/uncool person. Chad is not the only one, its just the most popular. Other names would be like Brad or Romeo

Romeo? We can take it a step further and say Mercutio. But seriously, I have never heard of or met a person named Romeo in my life.

Kointo said:
Romeo? We can take it a step further and say Mercutio. But seriously, I have never heard of or met a person named Romeo in my life.

Neither have I, ive never met someone with the name chad either