Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion What desktop *NIX do you mainly use

What desktop *NIX do you use?

• macOS (richfag normie)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Chrome OS (poorfag normie)

• Arch-based Linux

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Debian-based Linux (excluding Ubuntu)

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Ubuntu-based Linux (noob)

• Red Hat/Fedora-based Linux

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • SuSE-based Linux

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slackware-based Linux

• Other Linux

• *BSD (excluding macOS)

• Total voters
TheDarkEnigma

TheDarkEnigma

St. JackieArklövcel
★★★★★
@C&UNIX
@OscarAllius
@ihateamogus
@proudweeb

Red Hat Enterprise Linux and clones because that's where the jobs are.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux and clones because that's where the jobs are.
I don't like Red Hat.

They are ruining Linux and making it more Windows-like by adding stuff like systemd and of course every other distro copies them.

I don't like Red Hat.

They are ruining Linux and making it more Windows-like by adding stuff like systemd and of course every other distro copies them.

I agree but it's where the jobs are.

Systemd and firewalld ideas were copied from Apple I think.

I agree but it's where the jobs are.

Systemd and firewalld ideas were copied from Apple I think.
True, but I kinda wished that Linux weren't in the hands of corporations and just stayed a collaborate non-commercial project where true hackers contribute what they actually want.

If I want a true UNIX experience, I don't want to be using systemd, elogind, DBus, Wayland or whatever they're pushing for the sake of GNOME.

Even FreeBSD is copying Linux.

True, but I kinda wished that Linux weren't in the hands of corporations and just stayed a collaborate non-commercial project where true hackers contribute what they actually want.

If I want a true UNIX experience, I don't want to be using systemd, elogind, DBus, Wayland or whatever they're pushing for the sake of GNOME.

Even FreeBSD is copying Linux.
IBM owns Red Hat now and things are getting worse. The cognitive load is immense.

1st Edition UNIX repo:

https://github.com/jserv/unix-v1

IBM owns Red Hat now and things are getting worse. The cognitive load is immense.

1st Edition UNIX repo:

https://github.com/jserv/unix-v1
Is it worth compiling 1st Edition UNIX on my PC? Given that it was written for the PDP-7, I don't think it would be ideal.

Also the kernel is so old it doesn't support modern features like multithreading that the Linux kernel does have.

Maybe just compile my own Linux distro free from the bullshit.

Jewbuntu but I was thinking about switching to Manjaro

Is it worth compiling 1st Edition UNIX on my PC? Given that it was written for the PDP-7, I don't think it would be ideal.

Also the kernel is so old it doesn't support modern features like multithreading that the Linux kernel does have.

Maybe just compile my own Linux distro free from the bullshit.

I need to WageSlave so I even run CentOS 7.9 on my personal Thinkpad X220. I try to hone my work skills, what else can I do?

If you like old school try Minix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minix

https://minix3.org/

None, because Windows is currently better optimized for games and has better interface.

What an irony is the situation of Linux on smartphones. It was the system supposed to give us freedom, instead we have shit worse than with Windows and non-Android Linux distributions are handicapped because of the way how drivers are created here.
I agree, it's all gone bad.

Can it run X?
800px Minix 3

I used to be loyal to Debian and its derivatives, but I switched to Fedora recently because I learned that it's what Linus himself uses.

Fun fact : the first distro I ever installed was Slackware. Because back then it was the only distro that could be installed from floppy disks and it was the only way I could do it on my machine.

Last edited:
But what advantage does it have over Linux with Busybox?
I used to be loyal to Debian and its derivatives, but I switched to Fedora recently because I learned that it's what Linus himself uses.

Fun fact : the first distro I ever installed was Slackware. Because back then it was the only disto that could be installed from floppy disks and it was the only way I could do it on my machine.
Forced to use Debian on my PCs because I have shitty Internet and in the case of my main PC it uses an old Nvidia GPU that's no longer officially supported and the nouveau driver always ends up freezing my machine so I have to stay on a stable kernel to get the current patches to work.

And I don't even want to touch Ubuntu and all the shenanigans Canonical does like adding spyware and forcing you to use snaps.

Forced to use Debian on my PCs because I have shitty Internet and in the case of my main PC it uses an old Nvidia GPU that's no longer officially supported and the nouveau driver always ends up freezing my machine so I have to stay on a stable kernel to get the current patches to work.

And I don't even want to touch Ubuntu and all the shenanigans Canonical does like adding spyware and forcing you to use snaps.
Yeah I've heard that Nvidia GPUs are usually problematic. I'm surprised it is still the case, though.

Maybe get an AMD card, man.

Yeah I've heard that Nvidia GPUs are usually problematic. I'm surprised it is still the case, though.

Maybe get an AMD card, man.
Yeah, that's what happens with proprietary drivers is that Nvidia stops supporting them and writing code to work with the latest kernel and Xorg.

And as of now the patches only go up to Linux kernel version 5.4. Ah well, at least I can still get updates for now.

But what advantage does it have over Linux with Busybox?

I've never used Busybox.

Minix 3 is old school if that's what you're after, it's not so complicated as Linux. Tanenbaum latest book covers MInix 3.

Do you guys use a tiling window manager? I used to be into that kind of stuff and I tried to get back to it lately, but I gave up because of all the configuration hassle. Now I just use Gnome like a giant noob :feelstrash:.

I've never used Busybox.

Minix 3 is old school if that's what you're after, it's not so complicated as Linux. Tanenbaum latest book covers MInix 3.
I would give it a try on one of my old PC.

And Busybox is pretty much an alternative userland substituting GNU, in which common Unix programs are statically linked into one binary making it suitable for embedded systems.

And I also heard that Minix is for embedded systems too.
Do you guys use a tiling window manager? I used to be into that kind of stuff and I tried to get back to it lately, but I gave up because of all the configuration hassle. Now I just use Gnome like a giant noob.
I use IceWM, Window Maker and FVWM as my window managers 'cuz I like the retro look.

I also had CDE compiled but I find it too clunky to use.

running debian but also have a slackware VM

void linux is another excellent distro to try out, I believe it is a unique fork

also puppy linux is surprisingly good, if a bit different

running debian but also have a slackware VM

void linux is another excellent distro to try out, I believe it is a unique fork

also puppy linux is surprisingly good, if a bit different
Any Linux distro with BSD userland, LLVM/clang and musl, and that is stable release?

Don't know if you could do that with Gentoo or LFS.

I use Ubuntu cause it's easy to use and relatively fast/lightweight

You're just giving the NSA information to hack you.

I'm using a custom OS based on TempleOS except I randomly changed 2048 bytes of the kernel.

You're just giving the NSA information to hack you.

I'm using a custom OS based on TempleOS except I randomly changed 2048 bytes of the kernel.
Nigger

the nouveau driver always ends up freezing my machine
nouveau drivers are so bad I'm forced to use proprietary malware. not their fault obviously, but it somehow manages to be worse than on my thinkpad despite probably having hundreds of times the power, there's basically zero hardware acceleration
Ubuntu connects to Google servers by default
 Nauseated Face Emoji - What Emoji

I use Windows 10