Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Venting Venting about the entitlement successful people have to acknowledge the devastation of the loss of companionship and family

NearlyOver

NearlyOver

Officer
★★★★★
Extreme statements about life's pain and loss seem justifiable only when people are already otherwise successful members of society. But those of us who're regularly marginalized and suffer loss--without support--daily are maligned just because we're not already valued society members. If you've read about the skiing accident that took the life of Jenji Kohan's 20-year-old son recently, you probably read the mother saying, "There is no justice. I'm broken. How is this real?" Or the father saying, "The cliches about moments like this are true, it turns out... The one about life forever changing in a split second, about the fact that we are all bound up in a web of love and loss, about the primacy of community in times of unfathomable tragedy."

I'm sorry they lost their son. Really. But something that, selfishly, upsets me about this is how when these rich, powerful, successful people suffer loss it's considered appropriate for them to make these grand negative judgments about life and to recognize that "community" (family, relationships...) means just about everything, but when we make these observations, we're condemned for being melodramatic. We're just suffering from wrong-think (CBT, DBT...). Expressing pain seems to be an entitlement of the already desirable, the successful. Chronically poor? Underemployed or unemployed? Disabled somehow? Socially undesirable and stuck in these "unfathomable traged[ies]" regularly? Yawn. Crawl under a rock and die quietly. No one cares to make the obvious association between the "primacy of community" and the devastating effects of lacking such community over a whole lifetime.

holy shit this is high IQ, I’ve never thought about the loss of companionship being compared to being an incel because there was never companionship to begin with. Although to be fair, someone died in the first scenario, while people just despise our presence, it’s slightly different.

But you’re right, we’re ugly and are more likely to NEET, so nobody really gives a damn about our plight

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back