Chaos is a laddER
- Jan 7, 2019
- 134d 16h 11m
The man behind an incel-inspired attack at a Toronto massage parlour two years ago has pleaded guilty to charges of murder and attempted murder — citing the man responsible for the city's deadly van attack as "inspiration."
The accused, who was 17 at the time of the killing, cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Now 20, he made his plea at Ontario Superior Court before Justice Suhail Akhtar on Wednesday morning, where court heard he had been thinking of carrying out his violent actions for months.
Asked why he identified as an incel, the teen told police in a statement, "You don't choose to become an incel. You are born one."
The plea does not cover the associated terror charges against the accused, which were added in the months after the February 2020 killing of 24-year-old Ashley Noell Arzaga and stabbing of another man and woman at the Crown Spa in the city's west end.
Arzaga suffered at least 42 sharp-force injuries, including 15 defensive wounds, according to an agreed statement of facts.
Court heard the accused was found with a hand-written note following the attack, reading: "Long live the rebellion of the incels."
As for why he was carrying the note, he told police, "I wanted everyone to find it. I wanted the world to know that people like us exist and it's not really fair."
Court also heard the sword used as the murder weapon was inscribed with the words "thot slayer" — "thot" being a derogatory term used against women.
When one of the responding paramedics asked him what happened, court heard he replied that he'd "wanted to kill everyone in the building and I'm happy I got one."
In his statement to police, the then-teen told police said he did not expect to be alive at the end of the day and thought police would have killed him.
"It wasn't worth it. My life is ruined now," he said.
He also noted he was scared of how other inmates might treat him behind bars.