Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Media So my movie collection got nuked...

Gengar

Gengar

Commander
★★
My HDD failed and so I have lost my important collection of 100+ movies (all at least 1080p + subtitles, ~350GB). I gotta start again I guess. I also lost my math/CS books (~200, no big deal tho) and 2000+ wallpapers collection. Also I don't want to forget my music collection, but I don't remember how much music I had (not much).

The worst part is that I had pretty rare stuff but fuck it now, I can't do anything about it.

There are lots of ways to recover the data m8

Can't afford that, and trust me it wouldn't work anyway.

Not in this case. The HDD works fine now...
Oh fuck were you doing a data transfer or something? I mean.... its recoverable if you waste dozens of hours and dont mind still losing a chunk of it

Oh fuck were you doing a data transfer or something? I mean.... its recoverable if you waste dozens of hours and dont mind still losing a chunk of it
Nah it's not recoverable. The HDD was damaged in such a way that sectors and blocks were unreadable and unwritable by any utility. So I had to use this to zero it out. It works fine now.

Nah it's not recoverable. The HDD was damaged in such a way that sectors and blocks were unreadable and unwritable by any utility. So I had to use this to zero it out. It works fine now.
Oh good news

I just pirate them

Even a format doesn't properly get rid of files. They are very easy to get back.

Once I watch a movie Im done with it.

I just pirate them
LMAO me too.
Honestly collecting movies on a spinning HDD is kind of retarded. Longevity of storage:

Optical Discs > SSD = physical film >>>>>>>>> HDD

SSD bad around magnetic fields, film weak from chemical erosion. But both are loads ahead of HDD. Average HDD will start failing around the 5 year mark.
You're right, I haven't thought about that. I will use optical discs now. Thanks! :feelsokman::feelsthink:
AFAIK one DVD has little less than 5GB of storage. For most movies that's enough but I also had some 10GB+ movies. What about them?
Even a format doesn't properly get rid of files. They are very easy to get back.
I'm not so sure about that.
I used dd.

Last edited:
What is the point of saving movies if youre only gona watch them once

This. Watching it once and alone.
I would not sperg out about storage data, at this day of age, it's very easy to rebuild your collection.
If you need to store +10gb movie, burn it to recordable bluray.

Keep consuming films like a good goy

If you need to store +10gb movie, burn it to recordable bluray.
Don't you need a special optical driver for BluRay discs, no?
I like to have my movies. I barely watch them tho tbh. I didn't watch more than half of my previous collection.

I like to have my movies. I barely watch them tho tbh. I didn't watch more than half of my previous collection.
I only watch high quality movies, mr. altaccount.

1 is none, 2 is 1.

If you don’t have a backup of everything you want to save, then you might as well kiss it goodbye.

Honestly collecting movies on a spinning HDD is kind of retarded. Longevity of storage:

Nah bro, 2+ HDDs in RAID1 is a storage solution that's extremely cost-efficient (only behind DVD discs), safe (only behind enterprise grade SLC SSD) and convenient (only behind SSD).
What do you mean by physical film btw?

You're right, I haven't thought about that. I will use optical discs now. Thanks! :feelsokman::feelsthink:
AFAIK one DVD has little less than 5GB of storage. For most movies that's enough but I also had some 10GB+ movies. What about them?
If you're going down the optical disc route, you'll probably want to buy a bluray drive that can write to m-discs as well as the m-discs themselves, (both are damn expensive)
That or split your movies, or download lower quality

Honestly though, just get 2 or more HDDs and put them in RAID1 for the most sensible solution tbh

1 is none, 2 is 1.

If you don’t have a backup of everything you want to save, then you might as well kiss it goodbye.
I learned my lesson.
Nah bro, 2+ HDDs in RAID1 is a storage solution that's extremely cost-efficient (only behind DVD discs), safe (only behind enterprise grade SLC SSD) and convenient (only behind SSD).
What do you mean by physical film btw?

If you're going down the optical disc route, you'll probably want to buy a bluray drive that can write to m-discs as well as the m-discs themselves, (both are damn expensive)
That or split your movies, or download lower quality

Honestly though, just get 2 or more HDDs and put them in RAID1 for the most sensible solution tbh
Ok, but I still find disks to be better because I can carry them easily and also play them in any kind of device that has optical drive. Plus I can't afford new HDD and BluRay drive and m-discs (t. poorfag NEET). Maybe if I manage to get a job. Most of my movies can be saved on ordinary DVD disks but there are a few that can't maybe there is a way to split a movie or I guess I'll just have to lower quality.

I only watch high quality movies, mr. altaccount.
You need a bluray burner.
I used to be a data hoarder as well.

I saved emulators and like 1TB of ROM games on a backup HDD and thanks to this thread, I'm gonna buy a second HDD just to back that up. Sorry you lost your movies though man.

What about them
BluRay? That would be a bit expensive i guess
I have 3tb of total free space and a 100 gig ssd but i still have a lot of free room. I used to torrent anime.

I saved emulators and like 1TB of ROM games on a backup HDD and thanks to this thread, I'm gonna buy a second HDD just to back that up. Sorry you lost your movies though man.
1TB of retro games? How many fucking games do you have?

Suicidefuel, reminds me of that time that I lost my hard drive filled with pirated anime. I currently have 700+ GB worth of anime on my PC.

Suicidefuel, reminds me of that time that I lost my hard drive filled with pirated anime. I currently have 700+ GB worth of anime on my PC.
I don't really care that much. I barely watched any of it. It's all so tiresome.

Which brand btw?
I have 2 wds.
If its a seagate, thats common.

What WDSs have to do with this?
I heard seagates have that fail issues. My WD are pretty ok rn,
Also you can rent a vps just for storing stuf but im not sure how it will work out for you.

I heard seagates have that fail issues. My WD are pretty ok rn,
Also you can rent a vps just for storing stuf but im not sure how it will work out for you.
From Wikipedia:
A wireless distribution system (WDS) is a system enabling the wireless bridging of access points in an IEEE 802 network. It allows an extended network to be created using wireless IEEE 802.11 (Wi-Fi) access points without the traditional requirement for wires to link them. The notable advantage of WDS over other solutions is that it preserves the MAC addresses of client frames across links between access points, thus mixtures of ethernet and WDS connections can be treated as a single network.[1]
Again, what do WDSs have to do with this?

Oh, i meant ''Western Digital'', the harddrive brand. Sorry.
Sorry you too. It is TOSHIBA HDD. It works pretty good, it was my fault that it failed. While I was studying I didn't pay attention and battery run out many times (50 at least) so that damaged it. Luckily it works fine now.

Sorry you too. It is TOSHIBA HDD. It works pretty good, it was my fault that it failed. While I was studying I didn't pay attention and battery run out many times (50 at least) so that damaged it. Luckily it works fine now.
I also have one of these WD book style hdds, its an old one but it failed when i accidentally dropped it.
Might work it on later but idc tbh.

I don't really care that much. I barely watched any of it. It's all so tiresome.
Then why download all of it? Do you just like hoarding stuff? I can sympathise if so.

1TB of retro games? How many fucking games do you have?
tons of games all the way up to wii u games on cemu. I'm gonna try to start downloading switch games for yuzu but I am in no rush for that.

Then why download all of it? Do you just like hoarding stuff? I can sympathise if so.
Yeah actually.
physical film mean VHS, 8mm, or anything else.

I think the take-away from this lesson is just use SSD. Nobody is going to make a plethora of Blu-Rays or DVDs.
Tbh collection just looks cooler if I have every single movie on a separate disk but maybe I should buy an SSD or an external HDD.

Yeah actually.
What kind of stuff did you collect? Aside from anime, I also like to watch older arthouse films (mainly 1960s & 70s). Stuff like Alejandro Jodorowsky, Stanley Kubrick and Jean-Luc Godard.

I love collecting steam games and steam badges ngl.

This is why i plan to buy a USB stick with a bunch of space to store all the shit i want to keep. Copy it over then delete it from my HDD

Please friend - why tf would you 100% expect an external HDD to work 5 years later? It might, it might not. When corporations use HDD's they backup important data on the cloud. I doubt that's you plan for your movies. But I also don't expect you to make a huge pile of physical media (Blu-Rays or DVDs or even film). So just use an SSD. They are CHEAP now.
Ok then, I have plenty of time to decide till I finally find a job.
No, I meant what kind of movies? You said your collection contained "rare stuff".
Just regular hard to find movies. Don't ask for names, I don't remember them. There are still movies I couldn't find tho, I guess I'll buy them on DVD then extract them.

Give a quick example of rare movie. Just one.

Give a quick example of rare movie. Just one.
Idk bro by "rare movie" I just meant something I hardly found online. Hmm I think "Vinyan" in 1080p was rare but I can't remember really (I didn't watch it).