Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Non-native English speakers, how would you rate English as an international language?

TheDarkEnigma

TheDarkEnigma

St. JackieArklövcel
★★★★★
Given that English is one of my native languages (the other is Spanish) and the fact that I can speak the language fluently by virtue of growing up in a predominantly English-speaking country, learning it in school at an early age, and years of immersion and daily exposure, I am going to be biased when I am talking about English as the language by itself and in its features alone.

But since many users here are non-native English speakers who had to take the time of learning it (whether for economic reasons looking to move into an English-speaking country, to chat with people outside your culture, being able to consume a wider amount of content on the Internet, or you're simply an Anglophile or appreciate American culture and values), I want to know what's your opinion on English as a language.

Did you find learning it difficult and do you like speaking and reading the language? Do you think learning the English language has put you into adopting or being influenced by the greater Anglo-Saxon culture or does it exist independently from your native culture and doesn't take away from it? Would you still learn English if there was no economic incentive but still useful for cross-cultural communication or even just because you like English-language literature and media? Do you wish another language became the international language instead or competing with English in that position?

Also for people whose native language is English (especially native Brits and whites in Anglophone countries who are of British descent), how do you feel about foreigners speaking your language? Given that your own language has spread across the world and spoken by people in different continents even outside the Anglosphere, what do you think about the English language no longer being just "the language of England", no longer having a language that is only yours and that most of the world can speak and understand your own national ethnic language?

I wrote my own long as response in the spoiler if you want to read if, since it would take much of this post and I want people here to focus more of my questions, but TL;DR English is somewhat suited for an international language due to its mostly okay phonology and very diverse vocabulary. However due to the history of imperialism by both Britain and the U.S. including the genocide and assimilation of indigenous people within their colonies, it definitely isn't politically or historically neutral. It would be better if a constructed language like Esperanto was used more for the purpose of cross-cultural communication.

I will be discussion two aspects of the English language: linguistic features, and history and cultural impact.

Linguistic Features

Phonetically, English is alright as it is. Compared to other European languages the phonology isn't too crazy, the only thing "unusual" about it are the dental fricatives (the sounds the digraph "th" usually makes), though the voiceless dental fricative also appears in most dialects of European Spanish for the letters "c" and "z" (though not how it's spoken in my native country, which has seseo and are all pronounced the same as "s"). Also English has a rather large vowel inventory which can also be tricky to get used to and due to lack of diacritics (which is both a pro and a con, we'll get to that shortly) can be difficult to tell how a vowel should be pronounced when you're learning it. But other than that, it's aesthetically alright. General American English in particular sounds pretty neutral and flat (IMO, though it could just be my bias as an American).

Modern English, by virtue of having contact with many other languages throughout its history, has an expansive and diverse vocabulary which makes it decently suited for international communication. Aside from English's Germanic roots, if you ever studied this language's history, you will know that English vocabulary borrowed heavily from Old French dialects and later during the Enlightenment period borrowed more from Latin and Greek. Further contact with the rest of the world when Britain started colonizing and intercontinental trade became possible brought loanwords from more diverse and much more different languages.

Grammar-wise, English is simple in some ways and somewhat complicated in others. Being an analytic language, there is very little inflection. There are only three noun cases: subject, object and possessive, and nouns are only modified to mark plurality and possession. English however does have a large number of verb tenses, usually marked by either verb conjugation, auxiliary verbs or both. It makes the meanings of actions more precise, but can be tricky to memorize and get used to. Most notably, there is no grammatical gender also which makes it nice.

The spelling is probably the most pesky and controversial part of the English language. Now, English doesn't (or very rarely) use diacritics or non-Latin characters (þ, ð, ƿ and ȝ has been thrown down the memory hole) but the current spelling is mostly based on pre-vowel shift Middle English orthography with many digraphs changing or losing its original sound, such as "gh" in night which used to be pronounced with a velar fricative but is usually now silent, although in words like cough it's pronounced like "f" and in words like ghost it's "g" with the silent h. This inconsistent orthography makes reading and writing in English a challenge for learners, and even I mess up in spelling occasionally. Also English's phonotactics and syllable structure can be pretty tricky, especially with words like strengths and twelfths. Now English doesn't use diacritics, whether to mark accents in syllables (no need to since English is stress-timed) or variations in vowels, which makes writing and typing on the computer easier if you as a native English speaker know intuitively how words are properly spelled and pronounced, but can make it harder for learners to pronounce words when reading. The only diacritic mark native in English, but is very rarely used, are double dots above vowels which are placed on the first vowel in a double vowel to indicate that it's not to be pronounced as a single vowel or diphthong (such as in cöoperate and Zöe), but it's very rarely used. I did mention that the lack of diacritics and non-Latin letters make it easier for English text to be written and displayed on computers but do keep in mind that ASCII was adapted to the English alphabet and support for foreign alphabets only came out later with the expansion of character sets.

History and Cultural Impact

Alright, that's enough of what I have to say about features of the language itself but there's another language that I want to talk about and which is also important, and that is it's history and the cultural values attached to it.

Of course, you cannot separate a language from the history of how it evolved and the culture from which it originated. Both are intricately linked to each other.

When you learn a language, you are not just learning the language itself as a system of putting together sounds to communicate an idea, but you also take with you the culture and values of its community of speakers. Language is not only a tool for communication, but a way of establishing a cultural domain and a common identity and kinship within those who share it.

This is the case for English, which is the national language of the people of England and their descendants throughout the world (chiefly in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa). And English carries with it its literary heritage (Beowulf, The Canterbury Tales, the works of Shakespeare, the KJV Bible, Harry Potter) and values (Anglo-Saxon model of capitalism, Protestantism, liberalism, etc.). Most importantly, it places the political, cultural, economic and social dominance of the Anglo-Saxon world and especially the United States as the center of of our world and above all other cultures, which makes international use of the language non-neutral and far too dependent on American self-interests.

Also consider the fact that English has been spread outside of England and later by the U.S. through conquest, imperialism, war crimes, genocide, forced assimilation, dollar diplomacy and forcing countries to take on debt, etc. which has lead to the huge decline and even extinction of indigenous languages. In post-colonial nations, this means having to speak the oppressor's language. This doesn't matter much for descendants of English folk in settler countries, but keep in mind there are also native English-speakers who are victims of this colonialism and language erasure (e.g. the Irish, the Welsh, the Manx, the African diaspora in the Americas, Native Americans, Australian Aboriginals, etc.)

Nowadays, the English language is spread throughout the world though the influence of American mass media (whatever the Brits, Aussies, Kiwis and Leafs put out is totally irrelevant in the greater scheme of things nowadays) because that's where Hollywood, Disney, Warner Bros., NBC, Fox, Paramount, and everything are all located. They sell the idea of America being this prosperous and freedom-loving utopia while being a vehicle of globohomo agendas not just with within the U.S. but around the world, with no corner to be left untouched by its grasp.

This spread and global dominance of Anglo-Saxion culture throughout the world has eclipsed and washed out the values of other cultures. Anglo-Saxon culture in today's world has an image of wealth most importantly. Because English and Anglo-Saxon culture has prestige in today's world, other worldviews are being overshadowed and more and more of Anglo-Saxon values are encroaching into other civilizations and more and more people outside the Anglosphere are adopting its values due to cultural imperialism.

Even today, the dominance of American cultural and political influence and the spread of its values throughout the world has included cancers such as globohomo, wokeism, acceptance of LGBTQ+ rights, leftism, feminism, consumerism, and every form of cuckoldry. Not only is that shit being spread through Hollywood but more like force fed into these countries by putting up LGBTQ+ flags on foreign, meddling in elections and military interventions.

Granted, most people aren't learning English because they are Anglophiles but more so for the economic opportunities the language brings due to the economic dominance of the Anglo world and especially the U.S. Now it's not that the U.S. became economically dominant naturally, but through exploiting third world countries including Latin America and also taking over the world financial system with the establishment of the Breton-Woods system and international financial institutions like the IMF and World Banks, which have indebted the developing world. You might asked, then why can't these other nations create opportunities in their own countries and improve their own economies? You see, the same force that has put the West at the top is the same force keeping the Third World down by putting corrupt politicians in power who will siphon whatever money the country produces into their own pockets and work for the interests of the American hegemon; the citizens themselves have little power to rebel or affect the circumstances of their countries, so many migrate into the same Western countries keeping them down.

And finally, I can't finish my discussion without mentioning technology and chiefly the Internet. The Internet has allowed global communications with different people from different cultures around the world, miles across from where you love, who share common interests from the comfort of your own bed. And of course a common lingua franca was needed to facilitate this interconnection and English fell right in. The development of computer technology has largely been (though not entirely) in the Anglosphere (the first description of a modern computer and the first programmer were Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace who were English, Alan Turing who helped decipher encrypted Nazi messages and wrote many concepts like the Turing machine and Turing completeness was also English, Bell Labs was based in the U.S. and things like the transistor and the Unix operating system were developed there, pioneering tech companies like IBM, Apple, Commodore, Intel, Microsoft were founded in the U.S., the precursor to the modern Internet known as the ARPAnet was the project of the U.S. military and American academic institutions, the creator of the World Wide Web Tim Berners Lee is an Englishman and the first website is written in English, etc.), and despite existing websites in many other languages those languages never attained the global scope English has. Many users of English-language sites (such as this very site) are used by many people whose first language is not English, but have learned it to partake in this global community.

Conclusions

I personally don't like the choice of having English as an international language, not because it is impossibly difficult to learn or because it's an aesthetically ugly language, but it's definitely not a politically and culturally neutral language and it's still attached ultimately to a specific national culture and worldview, and which the spread of English has made that worldview dominant and placed in the center of our world. Anglocentrism and an Anglocentrist worldview if you will and also American exceptionalism.

A similar thing can be said for other widespread languages spread through conquest and colonialism and whose nations have also committed atrocities as part of its spread (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Turkish, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, etc.)

I wanted to be able to express myself in a language that was not spread by colonialism. Because I come from a country full of identityless mutts, where the Spanish killed off the original native population and brought over niggers, and these Spanish mixed with these niggers to make us and have everyone speak Spanish, unfortunately my country does not have a language to call its own. We're not as lucky as the Irish, Filipinos, Africans, even the Cape Verdeans, Haitians and Jamaicans who have their own national languages and creoles outside from just having their own slang and words for things. But I have to speak the same Spanish as the Spanish in Spain and every nationality in Latin America, which was spread to them by force due to linguistic assimilation at the cost of the loss of indigenous languages. I hate the Spanish for bringing niggers over and making me a nappy-headed mutt.

Of course, if I refuse to speak Spanish because it was spread by colonialism then I'm a hypocrite for speaking English because it was also spread through colonialism, slavery and genocide. Maybe it's because I am Hispanic and not of Anglo descent so speaking English doesn't affect me as much as speaking Spanish. But still so as to not be a hypocrite I turned to other languages I could use for everyday communication.

At first I tried to learn Catalan, which I chose because it was a regional minority language in Spain and it's a Romance language so it would be close enough to Spanish for me to easily learn and similar enough for a Spanish speaker to somewhat understand. Also, Catalans want to make themselves independent from Spain and since the enemy of my enemy is my friend I wanted to show my solidarity for them. And also since part of the Hispanic identity is your ability to speak Spanish (I hate being called Hispanic because I am not a Spaniard and I want my culture to stand out as its own distinct identity instead of deriving our identity from a different culture), if I spoke Catalan (or any other language that was similar to Spanish but also a different language in its own right) then I wouldn't be considered Hispanic anymore or at least people would stop calling me Hispanic if they notice I speak a related language. Of course, I gave up on learning it due to running out of interest but I might go back into it again because I still think it's an interesting language, being halfway between French and Spanish with some Italian thrown in and being a sister language to Occitan.

Though the problem of using a "minor" or regional natlang like Catalan and Gaelic, apart from the amount of time and practice one needs to invest in them and having to have the interest in learning them in the first place, is the fact that they are still attached to their respective ethnic groups, culture and nation. And if anyone is going to learn a language, they won't just focus on the language itself but they also have to learn about the cultures and histories of where these languages are spoken and originated. I wouldn't learn Gaelic just for the sake of only speaking Gaelic just because it's not English, but to get the full experience I must also be interested in Celtic culture as well. The two cannot be divorced. And another problem is that I can't use these languages to speak with my family or even if I wanted to buy something from the store. Despite living in the most linguistically diverse city in the world, I can't get along speaking a very "minor" language if I can't communicate with the people I am around the most even if there are Catalan speakers or Gaelic speakers in my city. Plus it would be an insult to these cultures if I just blindly took their language, a part of their culture and how they distinguish themselves from outsiders, and disregarded all the culture and history attached to it, and stripped it bear as just words and sounds to be used for my own vain and demented reason. They were never meant to be international languages, but to be used within those ethnic groups themselves.

The other alternative is to learn (or create my own) constructed language and use that as my main mode of communication. In fact a conlang DOES exist that was made for the purpose of international communication, and that is Esperanto! (well, Esperanto isn't the ONLY conlang created as an IAL, there are many others, but it's the only one that has significant widespread use (of about 10,000-200,000 total fluent speakers which is still very small)) Also Esperanto at first glance looks like Spanish and like Spanish has the five vowel system.

Now Esperanto, as an IAL, isn't perfect (it has a mostly European vocabulary base, the voiceless velar fricative is hard to pronounce and that pesky accusative suffix takes time to get used to, but otherwise very simple grammar with no grammatical gender like English and the spelling matches the phonology, the characters with the circumflex or ĉapelo aren't a problem with writing, they were design with the typewriters at the time in mind and even today there's UTF-8 and you can setup your keyboard to use Esperanto diacritic characters) but it's the best option there is in terms of a neutral language that also has an international scope. The point of a language is not to be perfect. Other conlangs people barely speak it outside a core of a very small handfull of speakers, maybe the creator of the conlang and his friends.

And also every culture in the past has endeavored into conquering and assimilating other cultures, even if it's minor countries like Poland and Sweden or even small tribes raiding and taking in people from other tribes.

But whatever, I'm having fun with Esperanto and I want to spread the black pill and other based ideas through Esperanto as an alternative to a language that is non-colonial but also easy to learn. Might learn Catalan and maybe Latin, and other conlangs to like Ido, Toki Pona, Lojban, maybe even Ithkuil if I have the time and once I'm done with my current projects. And hey guys, I guess that's it.

Last edited:
Pro: easy grammar, no useless shit like noun genders and cases

Con: hard to deduce the pronunciation from the spelling alone

I hate english fucking language but I have to speak it to communicate with subhumans like you

Incel thesis on English. :feelsjuice:

I'm a native speaker, but there are a lot of figures speech, weird spellings, and weird pronunciations. :feelshehe:

English is garbage, i hate how non-intuitive word pronunciation and spelling are as an Italian speaker. You would never see shit like "Spelling Bees" here in spaghettiland.

You are specialising in linguistics? Good stuff... sorry, going to sleep, no smart response for your face

You are specialising in linguistics? Good stuff... sorry, going to sleep, no smart response for your face
You can respond when you wake up.

not foreign English speaker but imo English mogs even if some words not prononucbrd as spelled. that aspect allows the language to constantly evolve and suck words from other tongues

Answer about specialisation
I'm not going to college for linguistics but it's more amateur and informal one of my interests that I've picked up so far and mostly self-studying it through Wikipedia and YouTube videos (and other sources too, mostly about conlanging).

not foreign English speaker but imo English mogs even if some words not prononucbrd as spelled. that aspect allows the language to constantly evolve and suck words from other tongues
B56287FA 5C47 4338 88C8 73D0FC0FB7AE

I'm not going to college for linguistics but it's more amateur and informal one of my interests that I've picked up so far and mostly self-studying it through Wikipedia and YouTube videos (and other sources too, mostly about conlanging).
What are your other interests?

I'm a native speaker, but there are a lot of figures speech, weird spellings, and weird pronunciations. :feelshehe:
It is the redundancy part of the equation I hate, could possibly and your own being the worst of the lot.

Why are you an incel with such broad interests)
They just interest me. Maybe it's 'cuz I'm aspie idk but I am interested in how the world in general works and I want to always learn more about it.

They just interest me. Maybe it's 'cuz I'm aspie idk but I am interested in how the world in general works and I want to always learn more about it.
Good stuff. You are 23?

I play the ukulele and I can sing. I used to write love songs in my bluepilled days for my high school oneitis.
Good man. Now get that irrational hatred of Canada from your system, and you will be deus ex machina

Good man. Now get that irrational hatred of Canada from your system, and you will be deus ex machina
I still and will always hate "Canada". That "country" doesn't need to exist and in fact shouldn't exist and should instead by annexed by the U.S. and they should've done that a long time ago.

I really like the english languaje because it's "clean" in the sense that depending on context words can have different meanings and that's really cool.

I learned it because most stuff is translated first into english then everything else. For example manga, Light Novels and Visual novels, games, etc. If you're as much of an otaku as i'm you need to know english if not you'll be labelled a casual and won't go further than reading some mangas and watching anime.

Forget about reading the really niche stuff.

Languajes that interests me were Japanesse and Chinese. Jap ofc because i like anime and manga, and chinese because i really enjoy chinese fantasy. Thing is learning those 2 languajes would take a lot of my time and i'm currently learning development and trying to make a career out of it, so i cannot use any more of my time if i want to continue doing the shit i like plus learning.

I'm a native spanish(Castellano) speaker born in Argentina. I would say that our languaje has a lot of good things and our insults are superb. But everything i see or read in english feels better. Maybe cause when i hear it in spanish it kills my immersion in a sense

I really like the english languaje because it's "clean" in the sense that depending on context words can have different meanings and that's really cool.

I learned it because most stuff is translated first into english then everything else. For example manga, Light Novels and Visual novels, games, etc. If you're as much of an otaku as i'm you need to know english if not you'll be labelled a casual and won't go further than reading some mangas and watching anime.

Forget about reading the really niche stuff.

Languajes that interests me were Japanesse and Chinese. Jap ofc because i like anime and manga, and chinese because i really enjoy chinese fantasy. Thing is learning those 2 languajes would take a lot of my time and i'm currently learning development and trying to make a career out of it, so i cannot use any more of my time if i want to continue doing the shit i like plus learning.

I'm a native spanish(Castellano) speaker born in Argentina. I would say that our languaje has a lot of good things and our insults are superb. But everything i see or read in english feels better. Maybe cause when i hear it in spanish it kills my immersion in a sense
Was English easy for you and do you like it better than Spanish?

And aside from anime and manga are you also interested in native English-language literature and media as well (or have a gateway to them)?

Was English easy for you and do you like it better than Spanish?
I'm not really sure how hard it was to learn because every day i learn something new and i doubt my current knowledge of english is good enough, i'm only above average at best. I started to take seriously english after failing a course on HS and had to re-do the english class.

I like it as a way to consume stuff be it media, books or games. I doubt i would like it as a first languaje.
And aside from anime and manga are you also interested in native English-language literature and media as well (or have a gateway to them)?
I'm not that interested in normal books to be honest. If i had to learn something about programming i would look an english book or course thats for sure. And media i watched a lot of series in english too, it's a bother to download series and then have to look everywhere for Spanish subs, so i would just put english subs and learn along the way. Nowadays if it's not a shitty dialect i can understand almost everything just by hearing it.

I'm not really sure how hard it was to learn because every day i learn something new and i doubt my current knowledge of english is good enough, i'm only above average at best. I started to take seriously english after failing a course on HS and had to re-do the english class.

I like it as a way to consume stuff be it media, books or games. I doubt i would like it as a first languaje.
So you're learning English nowadays mostly through immersion? Would you say that anyone with an Internet connection can learn English, considering the vast amount of English content compared to content in other languages in almost every topic and as well as every type of online community which uses English?
I'm not that interested in normal books to be honest. If i had to learn something about programming i would look an english book or course thats for sure. And media i watched a lot of series in english too, it's a bother to download series and then have to look everywhere for Spanish subs, so i would just put english subs and learn along the way. Nowadays if it's not a shitty dialect i can understand almost everything just by hearing it.
So you also say English will help you more with technical subjects as there are more resources in English than in Spanish?

Pro: easy grammar, no useless shit like noun genders and cases
I can't fucking stand dealing with genders and especially noun cases; so fucking stupid. I hate languages with pointless rules (french is the fucking worst of all). Mandarin has the right idea and there's no gender or noun declension; who fucking cares how you say a noun? Also, articles (the, la, le, les) are pointless, but Romance languages love that shit, and they seem to go out of there way to make things complicated. There's no logical reason to put 'the' before a noun, why not get rid of that shit?
Chinese is one language that works with my brain the best, for some reason, as there seems to be not many pointless rules (at least to me)

I can't fucking stand dealing with genders and especially noun cases; so fucking stupid. I hate languages with pointless rules (french is the fucking worst of all). Mandarin has the right idea and there's no gender or noun declension; who fucking cares how you say a noun? Also, srticles (the, la, le, les) are also pointless, but Romance languages love that shit, and they seem to go out of there way to make things complicated
Chinese is one language that works with my brain the best, for some reason, as there seems to be not many pointless rules (at least to me)
You should try Esperanto or one of its derivative languages like Ido.

Btw do you know Mandarin or at least studied it?

So you're learning English nowadays mostly through immersion?
I learned this way from young, you're always bombarded with english stuff and the people that don't learn it it's because they are not that interested in it.
Would you say that anyone with an Internet connection can learn English, considering the vast amount of English content compared to content in other languages in almost every topic and as well as every type of online community which uses English?
Yeah. You can learn most languajes like that and english is the easiest of them with the plethora of content easily and freely available to anyone with an internet connection. Hell you don't even need a stable internet connection.
So you also say English will help you more with technical subjects as there are more resources in English than in Spanish?
Nowadays, no. There's a fucking ton of spanish resources as well, say like 10 years before it would have been true. Even then if you're into computer related topics or niche topics it will come a time when you want to learn/read/whatever something and that something will be in english.

Most programming languajes have an english sintax so knowing a bit of english helps immensely. The errors you get are in english, so you have to google them. When you google them the first page that shows up is StackOverflow, also in english.

I can't fucking stand dealing with genders and especially noun cases; so fucking stupid. I hate languages with pointless rules (french is the fucking worst of all). Mandarin has the right idea and there's no gender or noun declension; who fucking cares how you say a noun? Also, articles (the, la, le, les) are pointless, but Romance languages love that shit, and they seem to go out of there way to make things complicated. There's no logical reason to put 'the' before a noun, why not get rid of that shit?
My first language (German) has three genders and four cases and my second (French) has all those articles, fukin kek.

I learned this way from young, you're always bombarded with english stuff and the people that don't learn it it's because they are not that interested in it.

Yeah. You can learn most languajes like that and english is the easiest of them with the plethora of content easily and freely available to anyone with an internet connection. Hell you don't even need a stable internet connection.
So English is pretty much the language that has the most resources for learning. So even despite its nuances such as spelling and irregularities, it's still something that people can easily learn, not because it's a simple language but because there's so many content in English?

Would you say speaking English isn't much of a challenge for you (especially with the vowels, the dental fricatives and having to pronounce the voiceless glottal fricative in front of words)? Do you used English IRL every day?
Nowadays, no. There's a fucking ton of spanish resources as well, say like 10 years before it would have been true. Even then if you're into computer related topics or niche topics it will come a time when you want to learn/read/whatever something and that something will be in english.

Most programming languajes have an english sintax so knowing a bit of english helps immensely. The errors you get are in english, so you have to google them. When you google them the first page that shows up is StackOverflow, also in english.
I see.

So English is pretty much the language that has the most resources for learning. So even despite its nuances such as spelling and irregularities, it's still something that people can easily learn, not because it's a simple language but because there's so many content in English?
I think it's pretty easy to learn proven that a lot of people worldwide are a bit competent at it.
Would you say speaking English isn't much of a challenge for you (especially with the vowels, the dental fricatives and having to pronounce the voiceless glottal fricative in front of words)? Do you used English IRL every day?
I was mostly speaking about written english. If you talk about speaking is a pain in the ass and i can't practice it enough, so even if in my mind i can think of the words my mouth dosn't follow.

I think it's pretty easy to learn proven that a lot of people worldwide are a bit competent at it.

I was mostly speaking about written english. If you talk about speaking is a pain in the ass and i can't practice it enough, so even if in my mind i can think of the words my mouth dosn't follow.
When you read English do you read it in your mind as being in any native English accent or in your own accent when you speak English?

Also, would you thank English for allowing you to post on forums like this one where you can talk to other people of the Hispanosphere? Are there any Spanish-language forums or websites you go to and would you want non-Spanish speakers to learn Spanish to participate in these communities?

You should try Esperanto or one of its derivative languages like Ido.

Btw do you know Mandarin or at least studied it?
Studied it. Still have a lot more to learn though, but its fun tbh
My first language (German) has three genders and four cases and my second (French) has all those articles, fukin kek.
I studied both German and French, and I found french more difficult (which is odd, since my native language, Spanish, is closer to french). The cases in German suck to learn tbh, but overall it's more consistent than French
Maybe my stupid robot aspie brain is more geared toward languages with few exceptions and strict word order, idk

I managed to learn a decent amount in under a year through spending hours on Duolingo and lernu! almost every day plus reading PDFs in Esperanto.

Mi povas diri, ke mi povas bone skribi Esperante sed mi ankaŭ ankoraŭ devas praktiki pli.
I studied both German and French, and I found french more difficult (which is odd, since my native language, Spanish, is closer to french). The cases in German suck to learn tbh, but overall it's more consistent than French
I've always wanted to learn French just enough to be able to read it, but yeah. The phonology, the spelling and the grammar is all fucking retarded. And then the people who speak that shit are pretentious about it.

Maybe my stupid robot aspie brain is more geared toward languages with few exceptions and strict word order, idk
German pronunciation is easier because we don’t confuse words so much like the French do, kek. Their words often have a silent ending consonant that is pronounced when followed by a vowel, jfl.

Very easy to learn,sounds nice, very useful,easy grammar

10/10

When you read English do you read it in your mind as being in any native English accent or in your own accent when you speak English?
Native i guess.
Also, would you thank English for allowing you to post on forums like this one where you can talk to other people of the Hispanosphere? Are there any Spanish-language forums or websites you go to and would you want non-Spanish speakers to learn Spanish to participate in these communities?
Yeah sure, if not there would be no way of communication between us and a lot of other users. There are not that many big spanish communities that i visit of the top of my head. I'm mostly here and in reddit

Yeah sure, if not there would be no way of communication between us and a lot of other users. There are not that many big spanish communities that i visit of the top of my head. I'm mostly here and in reddit
And so English allows you to talk to a wider range of people and in communities centered around more topics (even if they're not specifically Anglosphere based or around Anglo culture) that don't exist in other languages?

Would you rather have a different language serve the role of English today as an international language and also widely used language between different cultures, such as Esperanto?

I cant tell for any other language since i only know english and spanish but overall i like english the only thing i dont like is that pronunciation doesnt match with written form, for anything else is cool

And so English allows you to talk to a wider range of people and in communities centered around more topics (even if they're not specifically Anglosphere based or around Anglo culture) that don't exist in other languages?
They exist, they're just not that diverse nor spread enough. But yeah.
Would you rather have a different language serve the role of English today as an international language and also widely used language between different cultures, such as Esperanto?
Not really because then i would have to learn it and i'm lazy. But i would not mind it

They exist, they're just not that diverse nor spread enough. But yeah.
Yeah, you'll mostly just be around people from your own culture and country. At least with Spanish it includes most of Latin America, Spain and Hispanics in the U.S. so you could find Spanish communities that are large enough but the culture between Hispanic countries are very similar and no one outside it really learns Spanish. Unlike English, which everyone learns.
Not really because then i would have to learn it and i'm lazy. But i would not mind it
Esperanto is easier to learn, arguably more than English. But yeah, I was saying if a language replaced English or another language became the global lingua franca (French almost became the international language jfl), are there languages that you like better than English? It could be any language.

It would be better if a constructed language like Esperanto was used more for the purpose of cross-cultural communication.
I disagree. Having everyone learn a new language might be fairer in some sense, but it also means more people have to learn a new language than minimally required. Besides, Esperanto is based in European languages, no? If you're gonna go this route, at least take or make a conlang that's more globally reflective. Lastly, conlangs have no history. In natlangs, things like proverbs and synonyms (with slightly different nuances) naturally arise over time. If one were aiming for simplicity, one would do away with such niceties. I like having proverbs, synonyms and archaisms. Any conlang is unlikely to have words like "forsooth", which means "indeed", but is nowadays mostly used to sound sarcastic or old-fashioned. Such nuances make a language rich and expressive, something I would very much desire from a lingua franca.

I disagree. Having everyone learn a new language might be fairer in some sense, but it also means more people have to learn a new language than minimally required. Besides, Esperanto is based in European languages, no? If you're gonna go this route, at least take or make a conlang that's more globally reflective. Lastly, conlangs have no history. In natlangs, things like proverbs and synonyms (with slightly different nuances) naturally arise over time. If one were aiming for simplicity, one would do away with such niceties. I like having proverbs, synonyms and archaisms. Any conlang is unlikely to have words like "forsooth", which means "indeed", but is nowadays mostly used to sound sarcastic or old-fashioned. Such nuances make a language rich and expressive, something I would very much desire from a lingua franca.
Yes, there are new IAL conlangs that try to fix Esperanto's European bias (like Lingwa de planeta, which uses vocabulary from Asian languages and I think Swahili as well).

But yeah, the point of using a conlang is so that it wouldn't be tied to a particular culture or nation and be "neutral". English will forever be tied to the history of England and the rest of the Anglosphere.

Yes, there are new IAL conlangs that try to fix Esperanto's European bias (like Lingwa de planeta, which uses vocabulary from Asian languages and I think Swahili as well).
I figured. I hope Lingwa de planeta imported pikipiki, kipikipiki, vipikipiki from Swahili. Probably not, but I really like those words.
But yeah, the point of using a conlang is so that it wouldn't be tied to a particular culture or nation and be "neutral". English will forever be tied to the history of England and the rest of the Anglosphere.
Of course. That said, food that appeals to all is likely tasteless. Art that appeals to all is likely bland. I'm sure you get where I'm going with this.

PS A third reason for not using an IAL conlang I forgot to mention in my previous post is that, given the status quo, switching to an IAL conlang would be a fool's errand. Introducing an IAL conlang only makes sense in a vacuum. Unless one considers political correctness so important so as to inconvenience virtually everyone.

I figured. I hope Lingwa de planeta imported pikipiki, kipikipiki, vipikipiki from Swahili. Probably not, but I really like those words.
Have you studied linguistics and languages before? I'm somewhat interested in learning Swahili when I got the time.

Sounds like Toki Pona, too.
Of course. That said, food that appeals to all is likely tasteless. Art that appeals to all is likely bland. I'm sure you get where I'm going with this.

PS A third reason for not using an IAL conlang I forgot to mention in my previous post is that, given the status quo, switching to an IAL conlang would be a fool's errand. Introducing an IAL conlang only makes sense in a vacuum. Unless one considers political correctness so important so as to inconvenience virtually everyone.
Yeah, I know in reality we're stuck with English (unless some other language displaces it as the lingua franca which seems unlikely). I will still use English when I have to or when I want my writings to reach as many people as possible. But I still like the concept of IAL conlangs.

Americans! I came here to overthrow you, take over your business, reform it and go bankrupt.. who wrote this script? Bankruptcy is deemed to be last-resort for us.. whatever. Lets start hostile takeover, shall we? Inbounding!

Either way, americans, i actually must admit - at least some of you are *very* smart. Or, you are just savvy in english due to being native english. I envy some of you, admittedly - it is hard to compete with native englishmen, while being russian. Although, none of you can compete with me on my field.. dont even try it, i got nuclear charges for mines here. Dont ask how i got it working, and dont ask about safety. Both of these questions will result in a grave silence.. spooky!

Our cultures are different, still different, even globalisation and dominating american culture couldnt destroy everything that is local.. although, local culture is handing on a cliff now. All hail the America! Globalization, you made a cruel joke on us.. On everybody. Everybody is affected by it, not only Russia. Not like we care for much, our mentality... There are numerous upon numerous things to discuss - and this is culture, after all

and i thought that americans arent that different from us) Like we say, индюк думал, да в суп попал - that means something like 'turkey was thinking, ended up in a soup'. Turkey was too slow with its thoughts, and ended up dead - couldnt evade its death. If it did think faster - it would escape its untimely death, if only by a hour or so. Poor turkey! Or rich, perhaps, judging that it escaped confines of living space.. who knows?

What did i talk about? How to make hand grenade from scratch? Well, you need a kilo of.. wait a second.. erm, would your neural cortex be so kind to delete all knowledge about what i just said? I am a good law-abiding citizen, i would never manufacture illegal weaponry..

Current russian culture does not like lengthy discussions, or big replies.. nobody really knows much stuff. I can be wrong, of course, not an oracle.. although, can i be really sure that all americans are as smart as some locals here? I cant, because this site sample of populace cant make even 1% of total western population, this is lesser or equal to margin of error. Ha, i proven myself wrong, awesome.. And i talked to kids, while in rus-internet spaces.. quite a biased view you got, general-major Khanivore!

Westerners do 'mog' russians in term of overall smartness? We need more time, more exposure to them. So many questions, so many things to be concerned about! 'overall' term (here) is made up by a hundreds of variables, and if somebody would actually post everything that can define all cultural differences of americans and russians.. gonna be awesome. Awesome.. shock and awe, ha

What about language? Everything was said before me, and while repeating is a mother of learning, i dont want to repeat it. Lingua franca due to america-centered world.. we use it to communicate to each other on this god forsaken site. The irony) I would be so much happier if russian became lingua franca. Dont we all are at least in some degree patriots for our countries?

Russian is lingua franca in central asia, due to being ex-ussr countries. I can see that op very much likes esperanto! His deal, his deal.. majority of the russians are too poor to learn complex things such as languages, or maths.. maybe i just didnt see smart guys, that led me to the bias of 'westerners are smart'

Everything is possible, what can i say! I cant know everything, nor can i make everything. I am just a man, after all

Эх вы, пендосы. Выебоны на выебонах, и все для чего? А хрен знает.. коль нравится - пусть делают. Кто я, чтобы указывать им? Заебали свиньи, бля нахуй епта, поди да огорошь их кулаком по роже! Вот умора то, ей-Богу.. найдите мне русский форум, аристократы) Русский язык гораздо лучше вашего барахла!

@decembrist_kirillov thoughts????? Annen şişman bir kısrak!