Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Non-Anglospherecels, how and why did you learn English?

TheDarkEnigma

TheDarkEnigma

St. JackieArklövcel
★★★★★
Kinda related to this other thread I made. Again this is for those who come from and live in non-English speaking countries and whose native language is not English, not including immigrants to English-speaking countries.

What made you learn English, especially if you're in the situation where you don't need to learn it to get by in everyday life?

I can understand for some, it is for economic opportunities whether you plan on moving to an English-speaking country or being able to talk to foreign clients if you want to become a freelancer.

Or maybe because it's the lingua franca of the Internet and you just want to be able to talk to a wider community of people and not just from those in the country or region you are from. Maybe you like Anglo-American culture and watch a lot of English-language media (much like weeaboos wanting to learn Japanese and Korean nowadays because they like anime and K-pop).

I will say this on the philosophy of language however, than when you learn and use a language you are not merely learning about its words and its grammar, but by speaking in you become part of its community of speakers and a part of its culture and history. In the case of English, you begin to adopt the cultures that dominate it (the United States and Britain) and the wider Anglo-American culture. English will always be attached to that culture which originated in England and spread to the world by colonialism and Hollywood. Just like when you learn Spanish, you are also adopting the cultural norms of which originated in Spain and Latin America, and the history that goes a long with it. Language will always be tied to the culture the nation where it originated.

I realized this when I was learning Esperanto, despite being a constructed language meant to be a neutral medium for communication not tied to a nation or pre-existing culture, overtime developed a culture of its own by the community of people who speak it. Thus by learning Esperanto, I become a part of that community and therefore adopt its culture. At least with Esperanto, its origins are of a more widespread and international scope that wasn't spread by colonialism and learning it is a voluntary endeavor. Unlike English and many other national languages which have become major global languages due to people being forced to speak it over their own native languages and thus are not neutral and carry with them that historical baggage and legacy.

I learned english because I was terminally online as a kid. (I still am)
And as you said, I learned it because it is the lingua franca of the inernet.

What country are you from, if you don't mind saying or what's your native language?

I assume most need to, considering it's the lingua franca of the world; especially if you wish to pursue higher education, or use the Internet. :feelsjuice:

I learned the basics at school, then since I spent so much time in games and on the internet I had to learn to enjoy those things 100%

I am from croatia and I speak croatian.
I see. But with Croatian, you could also speak to other people from the rest of the Balkans since all those other languages are very similar to each other?

@Mecoja
I assume most need to, considering it's the lingua franca of the world; especially if you wish to pursue higher education, or use the Internet. :feelsjuice:
Yeah, but for many it's not a necessity. If you know a language like Spanish or French, already you can talk to a large number of people from a wide area of countries as well as move to any of the countries in Europe where they speak those languages (and "Canada" in the case of French, and Spanish is an advantage in the U.S. due to the large and growing Hispanic population here).

i want to kill niggers efficiently, and to do it i must learn english

it came randomly, i dunno - from games, methinks

I learned by playing nintendo gamez like zelda

i remember being a little cel , going through big english-spanizh dictionariez juzt to underztand a part of a dialogue

then when i grew up mostly bc of online gamez and guitar stuff

i remember being a little cel , going through big english-spanizh dictionariez juzt to underztand a part of a dialogue

puta madre

I know modern games are localized and translated into other languages including Spanish. Maybe the older simple games like Mario, it has English texts but you don't have to do much reading to play the game. Reading is more involved in games like RPGs and maybe Zelda.

Before third grade, I was in a bilingual class and of course me and my parents being immigrants I was raised to speak Spanish at home and I watched Spanish-language TV. A little bit in second grade was when I started to learn English and then by third grade went to an English-only class but I also had ESL.

But by virtue of living in an English-speaking country and being immersed in it everyday I eventually picked it up.

I know modern games are localized and translated into other languages including Spanish. Maybe the older simple games like Mario, it has English texts but you don't have to do much reading to play the game. Reading is more involved in games like RPGs and maybe Zelda.

Before third grade, I was in a bilingual class and of course me and my parents being immigrants I was raised to speak Spanish at home and I watched Spanish-language TV. A little bit in second grade was when I started to learn English and then by third grade went to an English-only class but I also had ESL.

But by virtue of living in an English-speaking country and being immersed in it everyday I eventually picked it up.
yeah for me that was , mario games, zelda gamez, chrono trigger. Stuff that had dialogues

I have lived all my life in the thirdworld hell known as southamerica. Ive only been to the states once to buy stuff in guitar center

I see. But with Croatian, you could also speak to other people from the rest of the Balkans since all those other languages are very similar to each other?
Yes
A bosniak, a montenegrin, a croatian, and a serbian could understand eachother.
Just the accents that are different

dobar dan zovem se Samir, kako si? I learned a little Croatian with an app :feelsokman:
Good :bigbrain:
Dobro sam, hladno je danas ali ću preživjeti.

nah, i cant decypher it - it is not russian at any rate
genocide only
Some croatian words are very similar to russian.
I guess I just picked a hard sentence to decypher :dafuckfeels:
(I SAID SOMETHING ABOUT THE JOOS)

Some croatian words are very similar to russian.
I guess I just picked a hard sentence to decypher :dafuckfeels:
(I SAID SOMETHING ABOUT THE JOOS)
ah, maybe you said that there wasnt any genocide of the jews?

aaaaaah, zid = жид = jude! Jew
Ja = I
Mrzim = I hate (saying Ja mrzim is still correct tho)
Židovi = Jews
Jedan = One (male gender), jedno = neutral gender, jedna = female gender
Genocid = Genocide
Nije Bio = Was not (bio means 'was')
Dovoljan = Enough (male gender), Dovoljna = female gender, Dovoljno = neutral gender
Quick and useless lesson of Croatian Language :feelsLightsaber::feelsLightsaber::feelsLightsaber:

Ja = I
Mrzim = I hate (saying Ja mrzim is still correct tho)
Židovi = Jews
Jedan = One (male gender), jedno = neutral gender, jedna = female gender
Genocid = Genocide
Nije Bio = Was not (bio means 'was')
Dovoljan = Enough (male gender), Dovoljna = female gender, Dovoljno = neutral gender
Quick and useless lesson of Croatian Language :feelsLightsaber::feelsLightsaber::feelsLightsaber:
dovoijan = dovolno = enough in russian
russian is simpler, but thats me - i grew up in russian area

dovoijan = dovolno = enough in russian
russian is simpler, but thats me - i grew up in russian area
I wish croatian was simpler :cryfeels:
But I am always making mistakes when it comes to -je -ije parts in a word :feelsrope:
-č -ć too

I wish croatian was simpler :cryfeels:
But I am always making mistakes when it comes to -je -ije parts in a word :feelsrope:
-č -ć too
croatia should become russian state

well, we got... much - dolboyeb - dumb bastard - dolboyebi - dumb bastards, simple and efficient, just like muricanski
pidor - faggot
pidori - faggots

well, we got... much - dolboyeb - dumb bastard - dolboyebi - dumb bastards, simple and efficient, just like muricanski
pidor - faggot
pidori - faggots
Interesting...
In croatian: Peder- faggot, Pederi - Faggots

Yeah, but isn't Croatia part of the West because they're Catholic and use the Latin alphabet? It's the Serbs who are closer to Russia so unless if you want to revive Yugoslavia (Greater Serbia) again.

Yeah, but isn't Croatia part of the West because they're Catholic and use the Latin alphabet? It's the Serbs who are closer to Russia so unless if you want to revive Yugoslavia (Greater Serbia) again.
we here dont care for religions much.. and you broke the yugos, filthy americanski

we here dont care for religions much.. and you broke the yugos, filthy americanski
Yeah, but from my understanding after Tito died the Serbians basically took over Yugoslavia since it was already centered in Belgrade and tried making it a "Greater Serbia" considering how widespread ethnic Serbs were throughout Yugoslavia and didn't want the other ethnicities to gain independence.

And yeah, I know religion doesn't matter to much anymore but the ethnic distinctions are still there.

Interesting...
In croatian: Peder- faggot, Pederi - Faggots
kill all nato scum - убить всех натовских ублюдков - ubit' vseh NATOvskih ubluydkov
now how can i say what is 'vskih'... it is explaining affiliation to something, like a phone from china - chinese phone - kitayskii telephon - китайский телефон
vskih - multiple, skii - one

Yeah, but from my understanding after Tito died the Serbians basically took over Yugoslavia since it was already centered in Belgrade and tried making it a "Greater Serbia" considering how widespread ethnic Serbs were throughout Yugoslavia and didn't want the other ethnicities to gain independence.

And yeah, I know religion doesn't matter to much anymore but the ethnic distinctions are still there.
fine murrcanski you win this round

stop those sanctions on us now, would you be so kind?

and why are you hating canada so badly... whats about mexico>

Last edited:
kill all nato scum - убить всех натовских ублюдков - ubit' vseh NATOvskih ubluydkov
now how can i say what is 'vskih'... it is explaining affiliation to something, like a phone from china - chinese phone - kitayskii telephon - китайский телефон
vskih - multiple, skii - one
We say: Chinese Phone = Kineski Telefon

As a kid i liked playing video games. First console worth mentioning was PS2 where a lot of games were not translated into my main tongue(spanish). So i had to kinda "guess" what the words mean. Start, load, save. Were pretty easy to grasp, but forget about understanding dialogue. Or in games where there were actual quest lines i could not fathom how i manage to complete those long ass quest lines without understanding the text.

As i grew older i got more into anime and manga. Thus the same problem occurred, wanted to read manga but a lot was on english if i wanted to download it. So i slowly got better with english by watching a lot of english movies, reading a lot of english and pushing myself further.

Last straw was when i wanted to get into Visual Novels and Novels. Where spanish translations are close to non-existant. So there i think using things like Google Translate that i got an acceptable grasp of the languaje.

Being in places like this one and reddit also helps

Croats are Catholics, Serbs are orthodox
Basically the serbs had a huge powertrip, the ethnic groups already hated each other so a civil war broke out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0Dz-YAtC0

Here's the aftermath in 1995 after the Croats re-captured the city of Knin

Do you still hate each other?
Kinda, yes
Ha, thats russian car, Niva
I like vehicles :feelsLSD:
Do you russians have european style trucks or american style?
Volvo Trucks predstavlja novi Volvo FH | Volvo Trucks
or
American style truck on freeway pulling load. Transportation ...

fine murrcanski you win this round

stop those sanction on us now, would you be so kind?
Not really American technically, even though I'm a citizen here. I wasn't born here nor did my family originate here.
and why are you hating canada so badly... whats about mexico>
I hate "Canada" because tbh, what's the point of it existing? The U.S. is a far better country to immigrate to and any everyone wants to come here whereas "Canada" is in a forgotten corner. Plus they refuse Democracy and decided to cuck themselves by remaining with the British monarchy, which goes against this country's founding and thus they have no Freedom. I also hate how they are just like us but yet try so hard to be different and I hate how they say "about".

Like, they should all just move to the U.S. where they have more opportunities, idk why they choose to remain in thar frozen wasteland and why anyone else wants to immigrate there when the U.S. is clearly the superior option.

And of course Mexicans all want to come here because Latin America is a third world shithole and we have opportunity and wealth here.

Kinda, yes

I like vehicles :feelsLSD:
Do you russians have european style trucks or american style?
View attachment 688420 or
American style truck on freeway pulling load. Transportation ...
We got euro-style, although i prefer those american road-trains, they just look badass as fuck.. our trucks go by the name of KAMAZ

I want to own Hummer H1, epitome of american car

Yeah, Wrangler is great too

whats your opinion on Range Rover Defender and MB G-klasse?
Offroads are badass (they scream FREEDOM unlike those cucked city cars), but it would be kinda silly to own a SUV when the only passenger is the driver (I still wanna buy em but in croatia people are poor)

Kinda related to this other thread I made. Again this is for those who come from and live in non-English speaking countries and whose native language is not English, not including immigrants to English-speaking countries.

What made you learn English, especially if you're in the situation where you don't need to learn it to get by in everyday life?

I can understand for some, it is for economic opportunities whether you plan on moving to an English-speaking country or being able to talk to foreign clients if you want to become a freelancer.

Or maybe because it's the lingua franca of the Internet and you just want to be able to talk to a wider community of people and not just from those in the country or region you are from. Maybe you like Anglo-American culture and watch a lot of English-language media (much like weeaboos wanting to learn Japanese and Korean nowadays because they like anime and K-pop).

I will say this on the philosophy of language however, than when you learn and use a language you are not merely learning about its words and its grammar, but by speaking in you become part of its community of speakers and a part of its culture and history. In the case of English, you begin to adopt the cultures that dominate it (the United States and Britain) and the wider Anglo-American culture. English will always be attached to that culture which originated in England and spread to the world by colonialism and Hollywood. Just like when you learn Spanish, you are also adopting the cultural norms of which originated in Spain and Latin America, and the history that goes a long with it. Language will always be tied to the culture the nation where it originated.

I realized this when I was learning Esperanto, despite being a constructed language meant to be a neutral medium for communication not tied to a nation or pre-existing culture, overtime developed a culture of its own by the community of people who speak it. Thus by learning Esperanto, I become a part of that community and therefore adopt its culture. At least with Esperanto, its origins are of a more widespread and international scope that wasn't spread by colonialism and learning it is a voluntary endeavor. Unlike English and many other national languages which have become major global languages due to people being forced to speak it over their own native languages and thus are not neutral and carry with them that historical baggage and legacy.
I need to talk with incels around the world