Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion *NIXcels, what desktop environment or window manager do you use?

What DE/WM do you prefer to use (or is your most favorite)

• Total voters
TheDarkEnigma

TheDarkEnigma

St. JackieArklövcel
★★★★★
I use Xfce + Compiz on my main PC running Debian.

Need to get other Linuxcels, BSDcels, Solariscels, etc. on board here.

@ihateamogus
@OscarAllius
@C&UNIX
@proudweeb
@Linux User

XD

Jewbuntu with the default GNOME

Windows users: :feelscomfy:
Linux users: :feelstastyman:
Apple users: :soy::soy::soy::soy::soy::soy::soy::feels::feels::feels::feels:

I use macos big sur at work :soy: :soy:

it's better than winders lol

sounds like a fuckin gay name for an os. I'm your BIG SIR. like some bdsm shit lmao :feelsLSD:

Keep coping and waste your system resources with shitty drivers.
Linux boasts about freedom jfl. You can't even choose where a program is installed. It just spreads it in the system. You can't use an old program (and by old I mean 2 years old) because everything has to be updated. With Windows I have setup files that are 10+ years old and all I have to do when installing a new windows is run them. Try installing an old package on a newer version of Linux, let alone on another distro. Not to mention there's usually no such thing as a package you can install because everything has 100 dependencies, which have their own dependencies. Linux is a huge mess.
There is also no good programs. And if there is it's gonna get discontinued after a wguke then you have to go through the learning curve of installing and using another program. Ironically there isn't one single good IDE for Linux and retarded soyfags programmers still insist on using that piece of shit for programming.
I used Linux for 6 months and all I got was lags and slowness and shitty programs and having to spend a ton of time for things that are a click away in Windows.
The only good use of Linux is as a server because it's free and uses less resources without a GUI. I have an ubuntu VPS and am happy with it. But it still sucks big time how quickly everything gets outdated and I have to CONSISTENTLY spend time on learning and applying new tings.
An excellent thing about it that Windows doesn't even come close to having is iptables. You truly have freedom when it comes to routing network traffic. And there's also less viruses. But that's mostly because it's shitty and nobody uses it so virus makers don't bother making a virus for it.

Linux boasts about freedom jfl. You can't even choose where a program is installed. It just spreads it in the system. You can't use an old program (and by old I mean 2 years old) because everything has to be updated. With Windows I have setup files that are 10+ years old and all I have to do when installing a new windows is run them. Try installing an old package on a newer version of Linux, let alone on another distro. Not to mention there's usually no such thing as a package you can install because everything has 100 dependencies, which have their own dependencies. Linux is a huge mess.
There is also no good programs. And if there is it's gonna get discontinued after a wguke then you have to go through the learning curve of installing and using another program. Ironically there isn't one single good IDE for Linux and retarded soyfags programmers still insist on using that piece of shit for programming.
I used Linux for 6 months and all I got was lags and slowness and shitty programs and having to spend a ton of time for things that are a click away in Windows.
The only good use of Linux is as a server because it's free and uses less resources without a GUI. I have an ubuntu VPS and am happy with it. But it still sucks big time how quickly everything gets outdated and I have to CONSISTENTLY spend time on learning and applying new tings.
An excellent thing about it that Windows doesn't even come close to having is iptables. You truly have freedom when it comes to routing network traffic. And there's also less viruses. But that's mostly because it's shitty and nobody uses it so virus makers don't bother making a virus for it.
@Ritalincel
This pasta is for you :feelsautistic:

Sorry for the wall of text and hostility I'm sick rn. Do whatever makes you happy I guess. But I'm not lying, the 6 months I tried Linux was pretty annoying specially the slowness compared to Windows.
And to answer your question from the environments I've tried I've liked XFCE the best. The 6 month thing was also on a Linux Mint XFCE.

Jfl at still using bloated proprietary spyware.

1). I don't know why you would go out and get Windows 11 considering that you need a modern and high-specked system to run it, takes up half of your RAM while idle, and it's just proprietary bloatware full of spyware and whatever else Microsoft puts on there that you don't know about. Hell, they even make it mandatory to create a user account online via Microsoft Account instead of making a local user. Still has all the problems of older Windows versions.
2) Windows 2000, Windows XP and even Windows 7 were at least good. Too bad they're unsupported.
3) You don't have to support older applications if you keep your Linux system up to date. Just recompile against your existing libraries. Windows forces updates anyways and then to update each separate installed application is inconsistent. On Linux everything is organized in the file system (/usr/bin for applications /usr/lib for libraries, etc) whereas on Windows each application has its own folder creating redundancy of shared libraries.
4) If you want bloat then you install a bloated window manager like GNOME or KDE. But Linux gives choice over your desktop and resources, and you can even choose a much lighter environment like Xfce if you don't mind an ultra-modern look and you can still customize it to make it look nice and run on much older computers. Hell, if you got a PC from the 90s you can still put twm or WindowMaker on it.

currently using arch with i3, but had a good experience with manjaro+xfce and arch+kde. if i were to rank all of the DEs and WMs i've used, it would be like this:
1. i3: lightweight, easy to use if you're new to tiling wms, and because it's a tiling wm it will improve your using speed
2. xfce: also lightweight and easy to use, can become really beautiful if you tinker with it, but at the moment i'm more inclined to using tiling wms
3. kde: the most beautiful of the three, but it's kinda heavy and takes a while to load

sway most of the time and i3 when I need to play games.

I don't need a manager to open my window especially since we have winter and its pretty cold outside :fuk:

Jfl at still using bloated proprietary spyware.

1). I don't know why you would go out and get Windows 11 considering that you need a modern and high-specked system to run it, takes up half of your RAM while idle, and it's just proprietary bloatware full of spyware and whatever else Microsoft puts on there that you don't know about. Hell, they even make it mandatory to create a user account online via Microsoft Account instead of making a local user. Still has all the problems of older Windows versions.
2) Windows 2000, Windows XP and even Windows 7 were at least good. Too bad they're unsupported.
3) You don't have to support older applications if you keep your Linux system up to date. Just recompile against your existing libraries. Windows forces updates anyways and then to update each separate installed application is inconsistent. On Linux everything is organized in the file system (/usr/bin for applications /usr/lib for libraries, etc) whereas on Windows each application has its own folder creating redundancy of shared libraries.
4) If you want bloat then you install a bloated window manager like GNOME or KDE. But Linux gives choice over your desktop and resources, and you can even choose a much lighter environment like Xfce if you don't mind an ultra-modern look and you can still customize it to make it look nice and run on much older computers. Hell, if you got a PC from the 90s you can still put twm or WindowMaker on it.
Autism.
Just download a cracked Windows 10 iso from a Ukrainian site.

The fuck are they going to do? Steal your .is account?
I have an old PC. I'm not going to install a very bloated system that can't even run on it when I can just install Linux, build it to my needs and still have enough memory to spare.

I have an old PC. I'm not going to install a very bloated system that can't even run on it when I can just install Linux, build it to my needs and still have enough memory to spare.
Even mobile phones today ship with 8GB of RAM or more, JFL

Even mobile phones today ship with 8GB of RAM or more, JFL
There's no need for a new PC tbh, I don't like modern gaming so I don't care about having the best specs of the time. I'm perfectly fine with my 2007 dual-cord desktop with 4 gigs of RAM and the best part is no "management system" built into the hardware silently stealing all your data from you 24/7 with no way to disable it.

GNOME 2/MATE is good enough as I spend most of the time on the command line.

Last edited:
There's no need for a new PC tbh, I don't like modern gaming so I don't care about having the best specs of the time. I'm perfectly fine with my 2007 dual-cord desktop with 4 gigs of RAM and the best part is no "management system" built into the hardware silently stealing all your data from you 24/7 with no way to disable it.
Sour grapes.
Chad has sex and a giga modern computer loaded with all kinds of cool AAA games.

uhhh no, mine only shipped with 3 gigs of ram, and it's a really decent phone by today's standards
You are living in yesterday, Android 12 requires 6 gigs

there's no fucking need for android to need this much ram
Sure there is! Don't you want useless Google Assistant features you'll never ever use and thousands of different telemetry services?

True. I was using linux for a year and I just wasted a lot of time doing things manually. Fonts looked like shit and gave me a headache, but I only realised that later. With windows or macos you don't need to occupy valuable brain space with that unnecessary stuff. It makes sense that the ones who use linux are neets and generally people that have too much time.

I still use windows 7 tbh
Same but tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft added the same type of spyware on Windows 7 that they have on Windows 10 considering that it was supported for that long.

At least Windows 7 isn't as bloated as Window 10 or, (God forgive me for mentioning this) Windows 11.

True. I was using linux for a year and I just wasted a lot of time doing things manually. Fonts looked like shit and gave me a headache, but I only realised that later. With windows or macos you don't need to occupy valuable brain space with that unnecessary stuff. It makes sense that the ones who use linux are neets and generally people that have too much time.
:feelsokman:

I use xfce and i3 on a laptop, I need to figure out why dmenu can't open flatpaks

I use xfce and i3 on a laptop, I need to figure out why dmenu can't open flatpaks
XFCE is the desktop environment that I use, though I have an ancient PC with Motif WM that I use to live out nostalgia.