Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

SuicideFuel Math thread problem (official)

Is that a Holocaust reference or am I way too far gone?
If you forget the cake in the oven for too long it will surely become holocausted down to ash.

why is this still pinned?

Chad and Pepe are playing with a pile of black, red and green stones.
When the game starts, there are many black pieces on the game board
could be any positive integer.

Players take turns. Chad took the first move. There are 2 options for a move:
(1) Place a red or green stone (from an infinite supply) on top of an existing stone pile. At the end of the round, there may not be two tiles of the same color in the stack.
A stack can contain up to three stones.
or
(2) Take out 2 stacks, but the top colors of the two stacks must be the same. Stack height doesn't matter.

If you can't take any action, you lose.
Determine whether either player can use a strategy to guarantee victory, and if so, explain how.
k=6
Tldr

Finally, some good fucken high IQ level thread, get them one of the Guidorizzi's books so they can whack their brains in OP

Finally, some good fucken high IQ level thread, get them one of the Guidorizzi's books so they can whack their brains in OP
Just remembered this one is brazilian, might be hard to understand the question, maybe a Strang or Stewart might be better

Lol like an inverse relationship, if you are good at math chances are you are a professional or are studying in STEM and you are basically a betabuxxx bitch which makes you a volcel for not trying hard enough in your academic/professional area and rotting here instead
When your realize that your qt foid STEM class coleague chooses to be declared volcel but in reality fucks a chad a day just like everyone else but you you might end up in here too

When your realize that your qt foid STEM class coleague chooses to be declared volcel but in reality fucks a chad a day just like everyone else but you you might end up in here too
Consider the function f(n), such that f(0) = 0 and f(⌊n/10⌋) + n - 10⌊n/10⌋, how many algorisms does the smallest positive integer m has, such that f(m) = 2015?

Consider the function f(n), such that f(0) = 0 and f(⌊n/10⌋) + n - 10⌊n/10⌋, how many algorisms does the smallest positive integer m has, such that f(m) = 2015?
Is the function f(n) defined by f(n) = f(⌊n/10⌋) + n - 10⌊n/10⌋? You didn't make that clear

def f(n):
if n == 0:
return 0
else:
return f(n // 10) + n - 10 * (n // 10)
m = 1
power = 10
algarism_counter = 1
while True:
if f(m) == 2015:
break
m += 1
if m == power:
power *= 10
algarism_counter += 1
print("m has:", algarism_counter)

Could only count to 9, gave up

Last edited:
def f(n):
if n == 0:
return 0
else:
m = 1
power = 10
algarism_counter = 1
while True:
if f(m) == 2015:
break
m += 1
if m == power:
power *= 10
algarism_counter += 1

What is that? Why do you write like a computer?

What is that? Why do you write like a computer?
It's code in python for calculating functions with recursive method, but it took so much heap for a long time that I could only see m reaching 9 algarisms, by the way what is the actual answer I'm curious

It's code in python for calculating functions with recursive method, but it took so much heap for a long time that I could only see m reaching 9 algarisms, by the way what is the actual answer I'm curious
It's higher than 200 bhai.

Also, why do you use that? YOU CAN'T USE PYTHON AT OLYMPIAD

def f(n):
if n == 0:
return 0
else:
m = 1
power = 10
algarism_counter = 1
while True:
if f(m) == 2015:
break
m += 1
if m == power:
power *= 10
algarism_counter += 1

I don't think it's anywhere near 9. The highest possible value for n - 10(⌊n/10⌋) is 9, so there's at least 223 algorithms. Idk how you can do this question without brute force, which is already impossible.

It's higher than 200 bhai.

Also, why do you use that? YOU CAN'T USE PYTHON AT OLYMPIAD
Didn't know that, sorrie. Also, I reckon floor functions are not differentiable, so I assume you can't use derivatives on this one for m to reach 2015, how do you solve it?

Didn't know that, sorrie. Also, I reckon floor functions are not differentiable, so I assume you can't use derivatives on this one for m to reach 2015, how do you solve it?
It's from a high school olympiad, you can solve it without calculus.

I haven't solved it

I don't think it's anywhere near 9. The highest possible value for n - 10(⌊n/10⌋) is 9, so there's at least 223 algorithms. Idk how you can do this question without brute force, which is already impossible.
Ye, no heap anywhere near as capable of reaching this result

Apes should live comfortable life in the jungle, not this shit!!!!

Let V be a vector space with dim(V) = n < ∞. Suppose that L: V -> V is a linear map and that 0 is an eigenvalue of L.
Prove that L cannot be surjective.

Let V be a vector space with dim(V) = n < ∞. Suppose that L: V -> V is a linear map and that 0 is an eigenvalue of L.
Prove that L cannot be surjective.
If 0 is an eigenvalue, then there exists a non-zero vector in the kernel, which means it's nontrivial so dim(L(V)) < n. Therefore, L is not subjective.

If 0 is an eigenvalue, then there exists a non-zero vector in the kernel, which means it's nontrivial so dim(L(V)) < n. Therefore, L is not subjective.
hey good job. i know it wasnt the most challenging problem, but i just wanted to throw in a cute little algebra problem

Chad and Pepe are playing with a pile of black, red and green stones.
When the game starts, there are k many black pieces (stone piles) on the game board
k could be any positive integer.

Players take turns. Chad took the first move. There are 2 options for a move:
(1) Place a red or green stone (from an infinite supply) on top of an existing stone pile. At the end of the round, there may not be two tiles of the same color in the stack.
A stack can contain up to three stones.
or
(2) Take out 2 stacks, but the top colors of the two stacks must be the same. Stack height doesn't matter.

If you can't take any action, you lose.
Determine whether either player can use a strategy to guarantee victory, and if so, explain how.
k=6
I think Chad can always force a win. First, Chad takes away 2 stacks. After that, he keeps mirroring Pepe's move. I didn't check super thoroughly, but I think this works.

Consider the function f(n), such that f(0) = 0 and f(n) = f(⌊n/10⌋) + n - 10⌊n/10⌋, how many algorisms does the smallest positive integer m has, such that f(m) = 2015?
I'll just find the smallest m s.t. f(m) = 2015. Given that the algorithm is already specified, I don't really understand the "how many algorithms" part of the question.

For n < 10, f(n) = n
For 9 < n < 100, f(n) = ⌊n/10⌋ + n - 10⌊n/10⌋ = n - 9⌊n/10⌋
For 99 < n < 1000, f(n) = ⌊n/10⌋ - 9⌊⌊n/10⌋/10⌋ + n - 10⌊n/10⌋ = n - 9⌊n/10⌋ - 9⌊n/100⌋
For 999 < n < 10,000, f(n) = ⌊n/10⌋ - 9⌊⌊n/10⌋/10⌋ - 9⌊⌊n/10⌋/100⌋ + n - 10⌊n/10⌋ = n - 9⌊n/10⌋ - 9⌊n/100⌋ - 9⌊n/1000⌋

The pattern should be clear by now. If n has digits abcd with a > 0, then f(n) = abcd - 9(abc + ab + a) = a + b + c + d. At this stage, it should be easy to convince yourself that f is just the digit sum function.

The smallest number with digit sum 2015 is an 8 followed by 223 9s since 2015 = 223*9 + 8.

@Grim_Reaper @incelpardo99

Last edited:
I'll just find the smallest m s.t. f(m) = 2015. Given that the algorithm is already specified, I don't really understand the "how many algorithms" part of the question.

For n < 10, f(n) = n
For 99 < n < 1000, f(n) = ⌊n/10⌋ - 9⌊⌊n/10⌋/10⌋ + n - 10⌊n/10⌋ = n - 9⌊n/10⌋ - 9⌊n/100⌋
For 999 < n < 10,000, f(n) = ⌊n/10⌋ - 9⌊⌊n/10⌋/10⌋ - 9⌊⌊n/10⌋/100⌋ + n - 10⌊n/10⌋ = n - 9⌊n/10⌋ - 9⌊n/100⌋ - 9⌊n/1000⌋

The pattern should be clear by now. If n has digits abcd with a > 0, then f(n) = abcd - 9(abc + ab + a) = a + b + c + d. At this stage, it should be easy to convince yourself that f is just the digit sum function.

The smallest number with digit sum 2015 is an 8 followed by 223 9s since 2015 = 223*9 + 8.

Correct :feelsokman:

Let A be an n x n matrix with complex entries. If trace(AB)=0 for every n x n matrix B, show that A=0.

Let A be an n x n matrix with complex entries. If trace(AB)=0 for every n x n matrix B, show that A=0.
Suppose a_ij != 0. Let B = PD where P is a permutation matrix which will swap columns i & j of A and D is a diagonal matrix with d_ii = 1 and d_kk = 0 for k != i. Then AB will be nil save for column i, whose diagonal element will be a_ij. However, a_ij = tr(AB) = 0 is now a contradiction.

Suppose a_ij != 0. Let B = PD where P is a permutation matrix which will swap columns i & j of A and D is a diagonal matrix with d_ii = 1 and d_kk = 0 for k != i. Then AB will be nil save for column i, whose diagonal element will be a_ij. However, a_ij = tr(AB) = 0 is now a contradiction.
good job ! an elegant solution too. that problem is an old favorite of mine

For n < 10, f(n) = n

How many algorithms are there though?

good job ! an elegant solution too. that problem is an old favorite of mine
It's a nice problem. I'll be assisting with linear algebra this quarter. Maybe I'll try to sneak in this problem.

damn youre living my dream
I hope you'll get there then. I also hope it'll bring you more joy than it does me. I'm currently getting a PhD but I don't see myself continuing in academia.

I hope you'll get there then. I also hope it'll bring you more joy than it does me. I'm currently getting a PhD but I don't see myself continuing in academia.
yea for now as a 3rd year undergrad academia seems like the move. but i imagine that may change once i actually see how brutal it is. i'll still try it out tho. i got nothing to lose :panties:

when you go asian, you never fail an equation

yea for now as a 3rd year undergrad academia seems like the move. but i imagine that may change once i actually see how brutal it is. i'll still try it out tho. i got nothing to lose :panties:
My thoughts exactly at the time

I hate IQ moggers.
If you answered a correct question in this thread, you must be a sexhaver.

I hate IQ moggers.
If you answered a correct question in this thread, you must be a sexhaver.
@Ahnfeltia probably has foid students asking him to give them better grades, and in-exchange they have sex with him.

Last edited: