Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Is neurosis linked to high or low IQ?

Shinichi

Shinichi

Recruit
★★★★
I googled this and get mixed results. Some studies claim that high IQ correlates with higher levels of anxiety and mental health issues while others say the opposite. I personally believe the former but that's just from personal experience. Is there any time breaker evidence that conclusively end the debate?

I googled this and get mixed results. Some studies claim that high IQ correlates with higher levels of anxiety and mental health issues while others say the opposite. I personally believe the former but that's just from personal experience. Is there any time breaker evidence that conclusively end the debate?
im giga neurotic and im telling you, im telling you,
i am retarded as a motherfugga
Sesame Street Oscar GIF

retardmaxx your way into some pussay
Jim Carrey Chance GIF
PUSSAY YAAA
maybe i can pitymaxx by acting like im downs
i hear down syndrome niggas us their retard powers to punch glory holes into walls
and then they fuck that
thats a legen of my home town though
not sure if true

Cooking Exam?
yeah IQ you mention it?
are you stupid?
the Ingredients Questionaire idk
the thing you do in 7th grade, like where they teach you basic skills like cleaning toilets and making sanwhiches
idk
thats what they taught me.

yeah IQ you mention it?
are you stupid?
the Ingredients Questionaire idk
the thing you do in 7th grade, like where they teach you basic skills like cleaning toilets and making sanwhiches
idk
thats what they taught me.
Nigga what school did you go to?

An example of the ‘Mensa fallacy’—using a pathologically self-selected self-diagnosed sample—would be Karpinski et al 2018, “High intelligence: A risk factor for psychological and physiological overexcitabilities”, which takes Mensa survey results at face-value while ignoring the fact that Mensa has attracted losers since its founding (a fact that I know was pointed out to the authors well before publication, and which they defend merely by saying that self-report data is common in many other areas while ignoring all contradictory evidence, which they pass over in silence).

The results are a priori unlikely as all population samples show that good things increase (eg. Brown et al 2021), and dysfunctionality & mental illness rates drop steeply with increasing IQ definitely at least to the top decile (often the top percentile) with no quadratic or other curve observable indicating asymptotes or impending reversals; these results are so large and well known that Karpinski et al cannot doubt them, and so they attempt to ‘save the appearances’ with ad hoc invocations of nonlinear thresholds at high intelligence, while still relying on the relatively low IQ threshold of Mensa membership. Their results are so absurd as to discredit any attempt to claim that a Mensa sample can tell us anything at all about high intelligence, as (with the exception of the modest allergies finding) they are completely inconsistent with genetic & phenotypic correlations, almost impossible to reconcile with the universal life-expectancy/SES/education/IQ/wealth/mental-health correlations observed everywhere in psychology/sociology/medicine, and non-self-selected high-IQ samples (whether Terman, SMPY, FLS, Munich Longitudinal Study, SET, HCES, Scottish survey, Scandinavian population registry-based, UKBB etc)—including a self-reported Asperger’s relative risk of 223!

It’s unclear how these are even arithmetically reconcilable with the population estimates, as such large risk increases ought to push the averages way up at the top decile or percentiles, overwhelming the modest lower risks for non-Mensa-level individuals. Further, if any of the relative risks were true, higher intelligence would be one of the strongest risk factors ever discovered for illness, far exceeding the effects of minor things like smoking. If such relative risks were true of Mensans, who are merely ~+2.3SD (being generous & taking their 1% criterion at face-value), then the RRs of groups like SMPY, MIT, Nobelists, or Fields Medalists, who are 3–6SD, would be off the charts, and it would be difficult to so much as run a SMPY summer-camp without dealing with multiple suicide attempts or psychotic breaks, or find a single child who seemed at all socially-well-adjusted, or an eminent scientist who had not been institutionalized, or… Of course, this is not the case. No reported statistics from SMPY or other high-IQ samples not suffering from self-selection into exaggerated self-diagnoses agree with this, and researchers & journalists who interact with SMPYers and similar high-IQ cohorts fail to mention that the entire cohort is nuttier than a Snickers bar, and often mention that the members defy stereotype by seeming quite healthy, well-adjusted, and happy. (The implications continue to go beyond that—considering just genetics, such pathology would force stabilizing selection, which we do not observe.)

So all Karpinski et al 2018 has to offer is a cautionary warning about GIGO: Mensa members are either remarkably selected for pathologies, or are not responding honestly (perhaps due to the trendiness of self-diagnosing autism as an excuse for failure).

Given this rather obvious problem, it is amazing to see this kind of study being done multiple times. Then again, the Karpinski study already has 160 citations since 2018 and was widely featured around the internet (> 11k social media mentions), so there is surely a big demand for studies showing this fake relationship. As such, we can expect academics to keep producing these studies. Science as usual.

Last edited:
Nigga what school did you go to?
wdym?
school, i went to school
you think theres something else?
like school school nigga
:feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek:
like where they teach you to do maths and write with your hands
and you do origami and then your mom kisses you and says ur a big boy

that school

Neuroticism and IQ are independent variables.

Maybe there is a slight correlation, not sure.

it's linked to high iq. yes, i have a moderately high iq.:bigbrain:

Lifefuel for low IQcels: Zhang, David et al. (2007) found that performance on IQ tests isn't correlated to how quickly you improve your results when grinding a task (the experiments used memory games, but can be applied to any specific discipline like vidya or coding)

As for neurosis, I think most so-called mental illnesses don't exist but is an umbrella term for poor decision-making and anti-social behaviour, which are influenced just as much if not more so by the environment than by intelligence.

Last edited:
There’s more evidence to suggest that depression and anxiety deteriorates your brain cells tbh. Which makes sense because IQ should make your life easier, but neurosis only makes your life harder.

So stupid people can literally Rock Lee their way to success?
If they have the ability to improve results quickly with practice, which is not correlated to IQ scores, then yes.