Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Brutal Incels without friends have it worse

Zhou Chang-Xing

Zhou Chang-Xing

Overlord
★★★★★
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/platonic-love/202209/healthy-romance-you-need-friends

For Healthy Romance, You Need Friends
Why one person can't complete us.

Email
KEY POINTS
There are three types of loneliness, only one of which can be fulfilled by a spouse.
When we have friends, we're more resilient to strife with our spouse.
Friends make us happier, which makes our spouse happier, since spouses' mental health is linked.

I grew up hearing messages like "find one person to complete you" and "someday, you will find the one." Romantic love mattered most and other forms of love, especially platonic, were disposable. I have shared in my book, Platonic, research that called this love hierarchy into question. Assuming one person sufficiently completes us, I found, leads us to lose out on not just friendship but also romance.

Why can't one person complete us?

There are three types of loneliness, only one of which a spouse can fulfill: We experience intimate (desire for most intimate relationships, like a spouse or best friend), relational (desire for good friends), and collective (desire for a larger community working toward a common goal) loneliness distinctly. Because of this, we can be lonely even with the loves of our lives. We, truly, need an entire community to feel whole.

The functional specificity model is a clunky term for the idea that each type of relationship offers something different, and thus, no one relationship can fulfill all our needs. Its authors state, "relationships tend to become relatively specialized in the needs for which they provide, and as a result, individuals require a number of different relationships for well-being." This idea is backed by a study on emotionships, which finds that we experience higher well-being when we turn to different people to help us work through different emotions. Other research finds people who rely on various people for support (spouse, child, friend) experience a better quality of life.

Why are friends important to healthy romance?

We need to feel connected to function; when we're disconnected, according to research, it hinders our sleep and mental and physical health. If we only rely on a spouse for connection, then the health of that relationship disproportionately determines our health. Normal fluctuations in that relationship, then, can be devastating. For example, one study found that people enduring marital conflict released stress hormones in a maladaptive pattern unless they had quality connections outside the marriage.

According to the substitution hypothesis, when we feel disconnected in one relationship, we naturally seek to maintain belonging by seeking connection in another. According to researchers, "feelings of connectedness in other relationships can compensate for fluctuations in feelings of connectedness with one’s romantic partner."

Having friends can make us resilient to marital stress because our other relationships help us maintain homeostasis. When we are resilient to strife with our spouse, this not only benefits us but also our spouse. Spouses' mental health is intertwined, given research that when one person's happiness changes, their spouse's tends to as well. If friends make our spouses happy, their happiness will benefit us. Supporting this, the more people interacted with friends, one study found, the less depressed not only they were, but also their spouses.

Referenc

Platonic: How the Science of Attachment Can Help You Make--and Keep--Friends esends

Meanwhile my dream toilet is a friendless loser who is shy and doesn't know how to properly communicate...

i have some friends, but they are all autistic wizard truecels who cope with dumb video games and anime. i can't relate to those fuckers.

I just have one real friend remaining. He's a blue pilled geek that copes with video game and anime, and ocasionally rants on foids but not incel level. Not much hope for me nor him.

i have some friends, but they are all autistic wizard truecels who cope with dumb video games and anime. i can't relate to those fuckers.
Coping with video games is retarded. I was an arts and humanities nerd in middle school and high school (actually I didn't even desire intimacy that much back then), later I switched to pscyhology, but because scientific psychology (unlike Freudian BS) relies heavily on biology, then I took up self-educating myself in STEM, too etc.

Water is wet
Looks folks stop posting this moronic judgemental knee-jerk reaction. The OP made yet another good post, I've experienced it myself: the few friends I had in early to mid 20s made life more bearable.

Now that I've basically given up on femoids, I'd like to find some male friends again.

Coping with video games is retarded.
yes exactly, it's a complete waste of time. it only furthers my depression if i spend countless hours playing video games. i'd rather use drugs and go for a walk or read something interesting on wikipedia.

Coping with video games is retarded. I was an arts and humanities nerd in middle school and high school (actually I didn't even desire intimacy that much back then), later I switched to pscyhology, but because scientific psychology (unlike Freudian BS) relies heavily on biology, then I took up self-educating myself in STEM, too etc.
Playing video games feels like a chore

I had friends in middle and high school, but not anymore

I am a friendless man and it is heartbreaking.