Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

JFL "Incel" is one of Oxford Dictionary's top words of 2018

R

RageAgainstTDL

Overlord
★★★★★
... But we lost out to "toxic" instead:

The Oxford Dictionary chose a more familiar word as it’s word of the year: “toxic.” Why? According to University of Chicago linguist Jason Riggle, Oxford saw a 45-percent spike in searches for “toxic” this year. But its usage has expanded beyond “toxic gas” and “toxic chemicals,” says Riggle, to include metaphorical usage in expressions like “toxic masculinity,” “toxic relationship” and “toxic culture.”

Oxford’s short list included the word “incel,” which it defines as “a member of an online community of young men who consider themselves unable to attract women sexually” – an involuntary celibate.

https://news.wttw.com/2018/12/27/nomophobia-incel-toxic-2018-words-year

Being "toxic" > being "incel" in 2018.

@Ritalincel prepare your soyfaces.

But on a serious note, I can accept Oxford's definition of incel. At least nothing in the definition claims we are "misogynistic" or "a hate group" or other nonsense.

Last edited:
But on a serious note, I can accept Oxford's definition of incel. At least nothing in the definition claims we are "misogynistic" or "white males" or other nonsense.
lol that's good, and some of us are ethnic like me. I bet CuckTears are going to REEEEEEEEEEEE over this definition lmao

Written by oldcels

The Oxford Dictionary chose a more familiar word as it’s word of the year: “toxic.” Why? According to University of Chicago linguist Jason Riggle, Oxford saw a 45-percent spike in searches for “toxic” this year. But its usage has expanded beyond “toxic gas” and “toxic chemicals,” says Riggle, to include metaphorical usage in expressions like “toxic masculinity,” “toxic relationship” and “toxic culture.”

Oxford’s short list included the word “incel,” which it defines as “a member of an online community of young men who consider themselves unable to attract women sexually” – an involuntary celibate.

But on a serious note, I can accept Oxford's definition of incel. At least nothing in the definition claims we are by definition "misogynistic" or "a hate group" or other nonsense.

Bullseye.

Ritalincel was ahead of the curve on this. :feelskek:

I hope to see the word “toxic” die out soon. I’m already sick of it tbh. Cucks ruin everything they touch.

I actually think that definition was best case scenario, good on those at Oxford Dictionary to thoroughly analyze the situation.

I made this thread 10 years ago and got no love. :feelsbadman:

Oxford is not run by toxic feminists, I can tell you that. They are reasonable people

I accept their definition, it’s neutral at least but it reduces us to merely an online community.

But on a serious note, I can accept Oxford's definition of incel. At least nothing in the definition claims we are "misogynistic" or "a hate group" or other nonsense.

its actually one of the worst possible definitions they could have used
makes it so they can pidgeonhole the thing to something to deplatform and shame

theres been a few dictionaries that had it on their shortlist for this year, not just oxford, and they all had different definitions