Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Higher humans and the herd

Tempus Edax Rerum

Tempus Edax Rerum

Sexless, Neutered, tax-paying Mouse
★★★★★
Humans are social animals by nature. They wish to find comfort in the herd, they wish find safety and acceptance in numbers.  This is the fate of all the creatures that are to weak to survive on their own. They exchange their individuality and freedom for conformity and safety. While individually weak, a group which is a collection of many weaker individuals will be stronger than any single strong individual.  Although, when a man forms his mind on anothers, when the actions and opinions of the man cease to be his own and become that of the group, he ceases to be man.

“Once conform, once do what other people do because they do it, and a lethargy steals over all the finer nerves and faculties of the soul. One becomes all outer show and inward emptiness; dull, callous, and indifferent.” (Virginia Woolf)

“Surrounded by hordes of people, busy with all sorts of secular matters, more and more shrewd about the ways of the world – such a person forgets himself, forgets his name divinely understood, does not dare to believe in himself, finds it too risky to be himself, far easier and safer to be like the others, to become a copy, a number, part of the crowd.” (Soren Kierkegaard, The Sickness Unto Death)

The higher man requires his solitude and freedom from the herd – the “innumerable…small and pitiable men” (Thus Spoke Zarathustra). As Nietzsche wrote:

“The concept of greatness entails being noble, wanting to be by oneself, being able to be different, standing alone and having to live independently.” (Beyond good and Evil)

In contrast to these higher humans, there exist the many – the herd. The herd is composed of two types: the last man, and the slave.

The last man is the quintessential mediocre man. Striving solely for comfort and contentment, an end which makes him lazy and contemptible, the last man is wholly devoid of any creative urge within, and blind to higher values which render creativity possible.

The slave, in contrast, is a weak and sickly human being, who suffers from himself and is filled with what Nietzsche called ressentiment – a festering hatred of life generated by feelings of impotence in the face of an external reality he feels to be overpowering and threatening.

“There is among men as in every other animal species an excess of failures, of the sick, degenerating, infirm, who suffer necessarily; the successful cases are, among men, too, always the exception” (Beyond good and Evil)
The presence of ressentiment conjures feelings of envy within the slave towards all those who do not suffer as they do – namely, the higher human beings. This envy motivates the slave to take vengeance on the higher humans. Banding together to obtain a “communal feeling of power” – the only type of power available to the slave – and under the pretext of calls for equality, the slave attempts to bring down to a more mediocre level all those higher than him through the construction of a slave, or herd, morality.

If I remember correctly, when Socrates was on trial(one of many trials) in ancient Greece, for the crime of corrupting the youth (teaching philosophy and critical thinking) and for rejecting modern gods like Zeus (atheism).  In his defense, he said that he is simply following his "nature", which is  the ability to think for himself. He looks for truth not in numbers, or in popular opinions, rather that he seeks it individually. He is helpless to act otherwise, such an act would be contrary to his "nature". Then he gave an example of how some men have a similar"nature" to solitary animals such as mountain lions or tigers who are strong solitary animals, that cannot endure the company of others; they rely on their strength and their own individuality to survive in the world.  While there are many who are born weak like the sheep or gazelles of Africa, who are only capable of surviving in the world by giving up their freedom and seeking strength in numbers.

approval-gif-9.gif

Fellow philosophycel here. Great post

Just expanding on what you said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE67Ye91Ii0

I'm guessing that you infer that the incel is the slave in the cited narrative; however, is not the slave cursed to be pathologically focused on obtaining that which he does not have, because of his "envy?" The black pill is the only way to save the incel from a lifetime of seeking; I would say it is an analogous philosophical goal to Nietzche's revised ascetic paradigm of "willing nothing." That is the only way that a slave can truly obtain freedom - to not feel bound in the first place.

blickpall said:
I'm guessing that you infer that the incel is the slave in the cited narrative; however, is not the slave cursed to be pathologically focused on obtaining that which he does not have, because of his "envy?" The black pill is the only way to save the incel from a lifetime of seeking; I would say it is an analogous philosophical goal to Nietzche's revised ascetic paradigm of "willing nothing." That is the only way that a slave can truly obtain freedom - to not feel bound in the first place.

I think he is saying the incel is above both the slave/the herd, and possibly the 'last man'

Battlefield3cel said:
I think he is saying the incel is above both the slave/the herd, and possibly the 'last man'

After re-reading, it doesn't seem like he is equating incel to any group in particular so maybe he left it up to interpretation? From what I read, incels do display characteristics of the slave and the herd; the diatribe against the man in the herd and how he was no longer man in the first paragraph doesn't exempt incels who have come to this forum in a herd.

blickpall said:
After re-reading, it doesn't seem like he is equating incel to any group in particular so maybe he left it up to interpretation? From what I read, incels do display characteristics of the slave and the herd; the diatribe against the man in the herd and how he was no longer man in the first paragraph doesn't exempt incels who have come to this forum in a herd.

Yeah, I thought maybe he is just trying to educate us somewhat and give us something to marinate on. 

I think incels do display some degree of the slave/herd also,  but does a man have to live in complete isolation to be exempt from that?

Battlefield3cel said:
Yeah, I thought maybe he is just trying to educate us somewhat and give us something to marinate on. 

I think incels do display some degree of the slave/herd also,  but does a man have to live in complete isolation to be exempt from that?

Personally I don't think so. Enlightenment comes from within and manifests outwardly regardless of the physical surroundings of the enlightened, whether he be in society or in a cave.

blickpall said:
Personally I don't think so. Enlightenment comes from within and manifests outwardly regardless of the physical surroundings of the enlightened, whether he be in society or in a cave.

Good point

The incel is not the slave/herd then

Battlefield3cel said:
Good point

The incel is not the slave/herd then

The incel can still be the slave/herd, if they have not accepted the black pill in its entirety. In fact, one could argue that any incel that uses this board for the purposes of support or a pulpit are part of the herd, because despite whatever their level of black pill acceptance, they still seek validation but in a slightly alternative form.

Then i guess it depends on the individual

This post was an addition to  this (treatise on the nature of the black pill) , sorry for the confusion.  I am just making general outlines, that I will build upon later.

Tempus Edax Rerum said:
This post was an addition to  this (treatise on the nature of the black pill) , sorry for the confusion.  I am just making general outlines, that I will build upon later.

I remember reading this treatise on incels reddit. Glad to have u here. I asked you some questions in that thread that I should have asked here but didn't think of it until i read the treatise again