Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

RageFuel Has anyone else tried playing Doom / Doom Eternal on a controller?

Hoppipolla

Hoppipolla

hop on jj2
★★★★★
Can it be done?

I can only play Doom Eternal on controller atm and it seems impossible!

Soy game tbh

Soy game tbh

How is Doom a soy game? lol

I've been enjoying them although in the original I find the environments a bit samey and in Eternal... I couldn't get into it. But it might have been using a controller.

I do think they a bit overboard in trying to look macho and intense, but that's part of the style. I'd give the 2016 game 8/10 so far. It's very fun and very well made. It's just a shame it doesn't "pop" a bit more, visually.

They fixed that in the sequel, but I suspect different problems might have been introduced.

Can it be done?

I can only play Doom Eternal on controller atm and it seems impossible!
I finished doom 2016 with a controller on my PC

How is it impossible

I finished doom 2016 with a controller on my PC

How is it impossible

I think I find it hard to aim and also I didn't really enjoy it so much. Maybe practice would help.

I remember I used to play Fear 2 a lot on console but I don't think it's as demanding as Doom Eternal.

On the other hand I was really enjoying playing Agent 64 on a controller but that's because the auto-aim is turned up to 11, lol

I think I find it hard to aim and also I didn't really enjoy it so much. Maybe practice would help.

I remember I used to play Fear 2 a lot on console but I don't think it's as demanding as Doom Eternal.

On the other hand I was really enjoying playing Agent 64 on a controller but that's because the auto-aim is turned up to 11, lol
You gotta get used to it bro , I’m doing it since 10 years old now 22 and I’m a pro with both Xbox and PlayStation and keyboard and mouse

You gotta get used to it bro , I’m doing it since 10 years old now 22 and I’m a pro with both Xbox and PlayStation and keyboard and mouse

Possibly. Doom Eternal seems to have a difficulty level much higher than the original though. It's hard for me to say without comparing them more on the same control system, but it definitely seemed way harder.

2016 I'm a long way through now and it's still really not that difficult whereas I felt like Eternal threw me right in the deep end!

Some of the environments also seem really cramped and the enemies have a weak point system that feels too forced.

I'm hoping it will grow on me though!

The visual style of the game I thought was excellent though ^^

Possibly. Doom Eternal seems to have a difficulty level much higher than the original though. It's hard for me to say without comparing them more on the same control system, but it definitely seemed way harder.

2016 I'm a long way through now and it's still really not that difficult whereas I felt like Eternal threw me right in the deep end!

Some of the environments also seem really cramped and the enemies have a weak point system that feels too forced.

I'm hoping it will grow on me though!

The visual style of the game I thought was excellent though ^^
Just lower difficulty

Just lower difficulty

But if I did that it would be like the first game that I've ever played on easy mode ever!

How could I put myself through that, lol

Seems too difficult honestly.

I'm actually really looking forward to trying it with a keyboard and mouse now. Even if I still don't get on with the game, at least I'll know!

Im trying it again. I still can't put my finger on where the issue is.

I think it's more than one thing:

- Controllers are trickier to use than keyboard and mouse

- I'm playing on Xbox Cloud so there's more input lag than playing locally or on Stadia

- The game is known for being fairly difficult (I think)

- Some enemies have specific ways of killing them in this game and I was still learning them.

Maybe I will try Halo Infinite next!

It's cool at least to have access to these games without a big download and also I got them for like £1 for 3 months, so all things considered I can't really complain.

EDIT -- Oh, I did do much better this time though! I don't know if I will play through the whole game like this as I don't think it does it justice, especially the input lag. But it was fun to try to out anyway.

Last edited:
I gave Halo 5 and Infinite campaigns a go on Xbox Cloud. Way, WAY easier oh my God, lol

I guess Doom Eternal really is unusually difficult for a AAA (or AA?) game. No wonder the poor ol' journalists were complaining, lol

Halo Infinite was very good from what I've played so far. So polished all round. You can see how much work (and money!) went into that game.

But if I did that it would be like the first game that I've ever played on easy mode ever!
Then don't play with a controller. Or git gud with the controller. Or quit the game.
You have four different solutions and yet neither pleases you. Sounds like nonissue first world problem ngl.

How is Doom a soy game? lol

I've been enjoying them although in the original I find the environments a bit samey and in Eternal... I couldn't get into it. But it might have been using a controller.

I do think they a bit overboard in trying to look macho and intense, but that's part of the style. I'd give the 2016 game 8/10 so far. It's very fun and very well made. It's just a shame it doesn't "pop" a bit more, visually.

They fixed that in the sequel, but I suspect different problems might have been introduced.
The game in itself is not very soy, ok

But the community is

The game in itself is not very soy, ok

But the community is

Oh I don't know really. I never got that vibe but then I haven't looked into it that much.

I'm a boomer so I've played the old games too and also Brutal Doom! :hax:

I don't know how the usual WASD layout converts to controllers (I remember back in the original Doom+Doom2 days it was actually the arrow keys not WASD ... didn't even think to change it!)

I just know if I'm going to keep at keyboard/mouse I need more wrist support