Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Do You Think It's Better to Learn a Language in a Class or On Your Own? (LanguageCels GTFIH)

Zesto

Zesto

Chair of the Beautification Committee
-
I would put this in my Dojo but I'm expanding it to any language not just Japanese.

I felt this place I inquired about classes over email was kind of rude and did not give me a proper response and there really isn't any other place to learn.

They use the Genki textbook and I figure just teach straight out of the book so what different does it make if I just buy the book and go chapter by chapter?

Besides these are small group classes and I always hated working in groups and engaging with other people in group exercises. It makes my skin crawl.

Languagecels get in here, all our welcome.

@Fontaine
@Facade

I don't know any others but you know who you are.

I got a decision to make.

Both but I'd say class is better because then if you need help with a pronunciation or any silent letters then you can just ask your teacher straight away.

Both but I'd say class is better because then if you need help with a pronunciation or any silent letters then you can just ask your teacher straight away.

Japanese is really easy to pronounce I don't think I'd need help and the textbook should cover those words you say the u at the end and the ones you don't.

I may go bERsERk being surrounded by neckbeards, old guys, and foids in a class.

I think for my mental health I should do it on my own.

@Fabio I see you peeking here. What do you have to say?

It depends on how motivated you are. If you are lazy and undisciplined learning alone will be hard. Also learning in class at least in theory will help you with pronunciation and actually force you to speak the language which you are learning. Going solo is usually harder, but with enough self-discipline its possible.

It depends on how motivated you are. If you are lazy and undisciplined learning alone will be hard. Also learning in class at least in theory will help you with pronunciation and actually force you to speak the language which you are learning. Going solo is usually harder, but with enough self-discipline its possible.

I think I got what it takes to do it on my own.

@Insalsa I'm going to need you to motivate me. We need to challenge each other. You just learning how to say "mizu arigato" isn't going to cut it.

What the hell shitcel would I be after all the trash talk if I wasn't even capable of teaching myself.

For my honor I must.

I think I got what it takes to do it on my own.

@Insalsa I'm going to need you to motivate me. We need to challenge each other. You just learning how to say "mizu arigato" isn't going to cut it.

What the hell shitcel would I be after all the trash talk if I wasn't even capable of teaching myself.

For my honor I must.
Make sure to create a schedule, like if you are going to use Genki - chapter a week(example), and practice set amount of hours EACH day. Create a day where you test yourself. If you really push yourself It can work. Saying this as someone who goes solo as well, but I wished I could take classes, sadly there are almost none in my country/city. Good luck!

I learned English just by watching Youtube in under 1 year.

short term: classes, long term: on your own. It depends on how easy and high IQ you have learning. Some people could probably learn more and easier without taking classes and vice versa.

I very strongly agree with @Fabio. The only real advantage a class has is that you don't need to discipline yourself and you have someone to help you with pronunciation. But overall I think studying alone is better, you learn at your own pace and get more intimate with the language, plus you don't have other people (other students who might not be as good) influencing your grammar/pronunciation

On your own. I did not learn shit when I was in school.
too high inhib to ask a teacher so there's one more plus of self learning.

School was useless for me when it came to learning english. I basically learned it because of the internet, movies, video games and anime subtitles.

Mixture of both. School so that you are forced to learn the boring parts (grammar, basic vocabulary etc) and then practical usage of your obtained skills on your own (speaking, reading and watching media).

School was useless for me when it came to learning english. I basically learned it because of the internet, movies, video games and anime subtitles.
English is kinda special, I guess majority learn it simply by exposure. I learned English simply by playing wow from age of 12. And back then there was no other way of getting information/games besides English. Its harder for different languages because its harder to push yourself into only consuming their media withOUT subtitles, as it was with English for many of us, we simply had no choice

English is kinda special, I guess majority learn it simply by exposure. I learned English simply by playing wow from age of 12. And back then there was no other way of getting information/games besides English. Its harder for different languages because its harder to push yourself into only consuming their media withOUT subtitles, as it was with English for many of us, we simply had no choice

Japanese learners are lucky there is so much high quality media available. It is the only language that comes close to English in that regard.

Unless you want to learn Russian and watch the Cyka Blyatt show over and over again @Weed.

And lots of high quality stuff will never be translated simply because there is just so much available.

I'd personally do it on my own because I fucking hate the classroom environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back