Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Based A friendly guide to finding good videogames for those of you that have given up on gaming (lifefuel) (gamercels, this one is for you)

ForeverGrey

ForeverGrey

Greycel
★★
I’ve made a handful of posts in the past where I criticized the current state of modern gaming, particularly AAA and the more mainstream side of the indie scene. I thought of making something positive for a change.

- Who is this thread for?

This thread is for brocels, struggling to reconnect with the lost feeling of innocence and pure joy they felt from a once beloved hobby.

This thread is for brocels who are not very familiar with videogames, and are wondering where & how to start getting into one of the more superb and luxurious yet oddly perplexing methods of coping.

This thread is for brocels who are interested and already identified good games in gaming, but would just like to continue reading for the hell of it.

This thread is for anyone who may or may not be interested in gaming at all.

Before we begin, we need to first establish and determine what a good videogame is.

A good game is something that makes you feel like a child, while a bad game has the opposite effect: constantly reminding you of being an adult. A good game will bring the youth in you. Blissful. Not a care in the world. Rejuvenated. While the bad game will remind you of responsibilities, chores, and all the making a man out of horror Mother Nature entails. The bad game is something you want to be done with as fast as possible just to justify your decisions, but the good game is something you wish could last forever. The bad game often takes itself “too” seriously, while the good game is open to interpretation.

These are “quotes” from myself actually. They’re not really unprecedented, and you’ve probably heard them before. I conjured them upon my first time emulating Super Mario Galaxy. It was during the pandemic, and I’d just gotten into emulation. A game, one that came out more than a decade ago, was able to squeeze more joy out of and life into me in the first hour, than most modern games are capable of in the span of 30hrs. That game was so heavenly, all I wanted to do, as an adult, was to be a kid again, was to go back from school and desperately try to finish it all in one sitting.

And then it suddenly struck me. It wasn’t me who changed, it was the games. Games are now shit. Too hyper focused on being something that they are not. Lost their touch thanks to being catered to the antithesis of the passionate individuals who once defined them. They were made by love, for people who loved them. They’re no longer about innovating a unique tailored experience on a cutting-edge surface, but more about “hey, how can we get as many clueless people as we can to mindlessly gobble our risk-averse cookie-cutter carbon copy of what was done before and give us money in return?” and the answer to that is simple: pretend you’re ANYthing but videogames.

Thankfully, this makes our job easier. In retrospect, ‘the death of escapism’ mightn’t have been a bad thing afterall, it helps weed out the garbage and find the truly top of the line copes faster. Instead of handing you a list of every good game I have played, I am going to offer you my piece instead: you’d have to figure it out on your own.

What should you NOT look for in a game? What are you supposed to avoid at all cost? It’s not a tricky question, here they are, here are the games you should avoid like a plague lmao:

God of War: Ragnarok, Spider-Man 2, Assassin’s Creed: Mirage, Watch Dogs: Legion, Dying Light 2, Dead Island 2, Alan Wake 2, Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, Borderlands 3, Horizon: Forbidden West, Far Cry 6, and pretty much every other AAA game that’s come out in the past 5 years or so.

The plebeian family would want you think that these games are good, but the reality is, they are creatively bankrupt and dangerously mediocre. They all have some things in common, and outlining them would take too long, and I’d much rather not go there, but boiling it down: they are fucking loud, pretentious and arrogant, just like the people who’ve made them. No quiet moments because subtlety and reflection are newly nonexistent concepts for these people. What killed gaming was politically correct entities incapable of discerning art as anything but the quagmire of a boycotted era. They probably thought of games as “misogynistic” or something that “has to change for the better.”

Games are contemporary, a product of their time and culture. Often disposable (but timeless if really good). Example: 2D games were obsolete during the early 00s. Why? Well because every platformer was still trying to be Mario 64, and every non-platformer was trying to pull off a GTA III. It was a weird era where we thought 3D is the new hit shit, and that we should bid farewell to 2D. Moving forward, this started to change by the time we’d realized they can both co-exist without collision.

Which brings me to my final conclusion. Games are increasingly becoming less creative, and as a result, they are becoming less enjoyable.

Some might say that innovation isn’t the main thing, but I think it is. I think what‘a killing gaming is the complete lack of coming up with new ideas, not being able to make anything novel, but can you blame the developers in today’s highly consumeristic landscape? Zoomers want to play the newest thing, just like how they want to support the most current thing. Say you’ve got billions to make your game; will you risk all of that trying to go against the grain for a tasteless crowd that might never even pan out financially? Or refurbishing the same product that you know will sell well regardless of the quality?

What else do those bad games have in common? Care to take a wild guess?

That’s right. They are all needless sequels, prequels, remakes and remasters. Nothing new. Which further proves my point.

Forget what I said about not making a list, why did you want to play Starfield so badly just to be disappointed when you haven’t even played Fallout: New Vegas yet? Why are you looking forward to the Silent Hill 2 remake (that looks like fanmade liquid sewage) when you haven’t even played the original game? Why are you trying to play any game when you haven’t even played Portal, Portal 2, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Odyssey, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Pikmin 2, Fallout 3, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Halo 2, The Arkham Trilogy, Rayman Legends, Shadow of the Colossus, Inside, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Hollow Knight, The Last of Us, Dark Souls, Metroid Prime, Bioshock, Soma, Papers Please, The Walking Dead, and a hundred other good games? Why???

Start from Metacritic’s front page instead and work your way down from there (yes, you should never put review scores above your own personal rating, yes, they’re not always trustworthy and you may not like some of them which is obviously okay unlike normies screeching, but that list will help facilitate a more straightforward approach). Every game I brought up here offers something unique. Something exceptional. Some of them were so good, none dared to replicate, and if they did, they’d miss out on key elements that made them special in the first place (take Dark Souls for example, it reinvented its predecessor’s hiccups, went on to become a cultural phenomenon, and then every clone that came after failed to realize what made it special in the first place, i.e., atmosphere, ambiguity, subtlety, world-building, a brilliantly metroidvenian design in 3D, etc.)

It’s really not that hard, is it? Find the source of “aha moment” in games, stick to it.

Ultimately and what you need to understand: games are on a spectrum. Most of what you play is mediocre. If 10% of them are bad, and only 5% are good, then that leaves 85% of them being okay at best.

Play the 5%.

You didn’t grow out of it, you just don’t know where to look for or haven’t fully discovered what you like most in videogames & what works best for you.

Dnr, are you having fun?

1710096743857.jpeg

@Stupid Clown tagging you because you’re one of the more higher IQ gamercels. Feel free to discuss what qualifies as a good game in your book tbh you don’t have to read the whole thread lmao.

I don't agree on metracritic. Nowadays most critics can get payed off. Super Mario Odyssey was slop.

Well written.

I don't agree on metracritic. Nowadays most critics can get payed off.
Obviously, but the “what to play” tab can help some of the newcomers to gaming to play the classics.

Super Mario Odyssey was slop.
Even though I was getting 20fps and my computer felt like exploding during some areas of the emulation, I still enjoyed it. It doesn’t top Galaxy 1 & 2 imo.

Like I said, it’s perfectly okay to not like some of these despite what normies tell you. They think it’s a criminal act if you disagree with their precious Witcher 3 and RDR2 being the second coming of Christ, jfl.

I’ve made a handful of posts in the past where I criticized the current state of modern gaming, particularly AAA and the more mainstream side of the indie scene. I thought of making something positive for a change.

- Who is this thread for?

This thread is for brocels, struggling to reconnect with the lost feeling of innocence and pure joy they felt from a once beloved hobby.

This thread is for brocels who are not very familiar with videogames, and are wondering where & how to start getting into one of the more superb and luxurious yet oddly perplexing methods of coping.

This thread is for brocels who are interested and already identified good games in gaming, but would just like to continue reading for the hell of it.

This thread is for anyone who may or may not be interested in gaming at all.

Before we begin, we need to first establish and determine what a good videogame is.

A good game is something that makes you feel like a child, while a bad game has the opposite effect: constantly reminding you of being an adult. A good game will bring the youth in you. Blissful. Not a care in the world. Rejuvenated. While the bad game will remind you of responsibilities, chores, and all the making a man out of horror Mother Nature entails. The bad game is something you want to be done with as fast as possible just to justify your decisions, but the good game is something you wish could last forever. The bad game often takes itself “too” seriously, while the good game is open to interpretation.

These are “quotes” from myself actually. They’re not really unprecedented, and you’ve probably heard them before. I conjured them upon my first time emulating Super Mario Galaxy. It was during the pandemic, and I’d just gotten into emulation. A game, one that came out more than a decade ago, was able to squeeze more joy out of and life into me in the first hour, than most modern games are capable of in the span of 30hrs. That game was so heavenly, all I wanted to do, as an adult, was to be a kid again, was to go back from school and desperately try to finish it all in one sitting.

And then it suddenly struck me. It wasn’t me who changed, it was the games. Games are now shit. Too hyper focused on being something that they are not. Lost their touch thanks to being catered to the antithesis of the passionate individuals who once defined them. They were made by love, for people who loved them. They’re no longer about innovating a unique tailored experience on a cutting-edge surface, but more about “hey, how can we get as many clueless people as we can to mindlessly gobble our risk-averse cookie-cutter carbon copy of what was done before and give us money in return?” and the answer to that is simple: pretend you’re ANYthing but videogames.

Thankfully, this makes our job easier. In retrospect, ‘the death of escapism’ mightn’t have been a bad thing afterall, it helps weed out the garbage and find the truly top of the line copes faster. Instead of handing you a list of every good game I have played, I am going to offer you my piece instead: you’d have to figure it out on your own.

What should you NOT look for in a game? What are you supposed to avoid at all cost? It’s not a tricky question, here they are, here are the games you should avoid like a plague lmao:

God of War: Ragnarok, Spider-Man 2, Assassin’s Creed: Mirage, Watch Dogs: Legion, Dying Light 2, Dead Island 2, Alan Wake 2, Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, Borderlands 3, Horizon: Forbidden West, Far Cry 6, and pretty much every other AAA game that’s come out in the past 5 years or so.

The plebeian family would want you think that these games are good, but the reality is, they are creatively bankrupt and dangerously mediocre. They all have some things in common, and outlining them would take too long, and I’d much rather not go there, but boiling it down: they are fucking loud, pretentious and arrogant, just like the people who’ve made them. No quiet moments because subtlety and reflection are newly nonexistent concepts for these people. What killed gaming was politically correct entities incapable of discerning art as anything but the quagmire of a boycotted era. They probably thought of games as “misogynistic” or something that “has to change for the better.”

Games are contemporary, a product of their time and culture. Often disposable (but timeless if really good). Example: 2D games were obsolete during the early 00s. Why? Well because every platformer was still trying to be Mario 64, and every non-platformer was trying to pull off a GTA III. It was a weird era where we thought 3D is the new hit shit, and that we should bid farewell to 2D. Moving forward, this started to change by the time we’d realized they can both co-exist without collision.

Which brings me to my final conclusion. Games are increasingly becoming less creative, and as a result, they are becoming less enjoyable.

Some might say that innovation isn’t the main thing, but I think it is. I think what‘a killing gaming is the complete lack of coming up with new ideas, not being able to make anything novel, but can you blame the developers in today’s highly consumeristic landscape? Zoomers want to play the newest thing, just like how they want to support the most current thing. Say you’ve got billions to make your game; will you risk all of that trying to go against the grain for a tasteless crowd that might never even pan out financially? Or refurbishing the same product that you know will sell well regardless of the quality?

What else do those bad games have in common? Care to take a wild guess?

That’s right. They are all needless sequels, prequels, remakes and remasters. Nothing new. Which further proves my point.

Forget what I said about not making a list, why did you want to play Starfield so badly just to be disappointed when you haven’t even played Fallout: New Vegas yet? Why are you looking forward to the Silent Hill 2 remake (that looks like fanmade liquid sewage) when you haven’t even played the original game? Why are you trying to play any game when you haven’t even played Portal, Portal 2, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Odyssey, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Pikmin 2, Fallout 3, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Halo 2, The Arkham Trilogy, Rayman Legends, Shadow of the Colossus, Inside, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Hollow Knight, The Last of Us, Dark Souls, Metroid Prime, Bioshock, Soma, Papers Please, The Walking Dead, and a hundred other good games? Why???

Start from Metacritic’s front page instead and work your way down from there (yes, you should never put review scores above your own personal rating, yes, they’re not always trustworthy and you may not like some of them which is obviously okay unlike normies screeching, but that list will help facilitate a more straightforward approach). Every game I brought up here offers something unique. Something exceptional. Some of them were so good, none dared to replicate, and if they did, they’d miss out on key elements that made them special in the first place (take Dark Souls for example, it reinvented its predecessor’s hiccups, went on to become a cultural phenomenon, and then every clone that came after failed to realize what made it special in the first place, i.e., atmosphere, ambiguity, subtlety, world-building, a brilliantly metroidvenian design in 3D, etc.)

It’s really not that hard, is it? Find the source of “aha moment” in games, stick to it.

Ultimately and what you need to understand: games are on a spectrum. Most of what you play is mediocre. If 10% of them are bad, and only 5% are good, then that leaves 85% of them being okay at best.

Play the 5%.

You didn’t grow out of it, you just don’t know where to look for or haven’t fully discovered what you like most in videogames & what works best for you.
unfortunately im stuck on ubuntu rn
but i would like to play some older games like the first deus ex again at some point

I don't agree on metracritic. Nowadays most critics can get payed off. Super Mario Odyssey was slop.
If You are going to use metracitc use fans review not game critic since they are rigged

Borderlands 3 have good gameplay but just trash story and never buy a borderland game at full price

Borderlands 3 have good gameplay but just trash story and never buy a borderland game at full price
I mean, it was written by today’s leftists, so no wonder.

The thing about Borderlands (and the looter shooter genre in general tbh) is that I couldn’t get into it sadly. They feel like the type of game that showcase everything they have to offer in the first hour, and then repeat themselves until they’ve overstayed their welcome, and the resulting experience is very underwhelming and forgettable.

I felt like an adult playing Borderlands, which is like I said, the opposite of what you want when playing a videogame. Ideally, a good game is what makes you completely forgetful of your surroundings. Zoned in and reminded of your younger days. Even games pandered to a “mature” audience tend to share this in common. The game in question is still subjective of course, but within that subjectivity, I figured we can settle on the fact that a good game is what makes you feel good, irrespective of the graphics, story, characters, etc., and that good feeling, is usually a very childish one.

You can not get the same experincr you get from gaming as a child to when you get older beucase when you are a kid your standards are really low unless the the game is too trash and modern gaming is amazing if you are a norime which is a graphics thot that only care about grahpics and chasing the new games and fighting about old games they have then rebuy it when it gets remake or remaster

Games I recommend(games I played)

Monster Hunter world
Monster hunter rise

Devil may cry 5
Devil may cry 4(only buy it on discount or when you have a potato laptop)

Devil may cry 3(get a ps2 emualtor)

Don't starve(buy it at a discount to get all dlc base game good but dlc better)

Don't starve together

Subnautica
Doom 2016
Doom 1,2

Street fighter 3rd strike
You can play it online by fightcade
Sonic generation
Sonic adventure(I recommend just use a emualtor)

Terraria
Armored core 6
Dark soul 3
Dark soul 2(when you have a potato)
Cuphead
Hallow knight
Shakedown hawi
Dragon ball fighter x
Dragon dogma
Vampire survivors(game really cheap
Sonic mania
Oxygen not included

Metal gear solid v phantom pain
Blasphemous 1
Blasphemous 2
Factorio
Katana zero

Yakuza 0
Torchlight 2
Dead cells
Home mami
Stardew valley
Super robot war orginal generation english patch(ps2 game use a emualtor and English patch is in cdromance I think)

MegaMan x1(sneak emulator)
MegaMan x4(ps1 emulator)
MegaMan zero 1,2,3,4[Gameboy advance emulator]
MegaMan zx(ds emulator)
MegaMan battle network 6(GBA)

Last edited:
Age of empires IV, Red dead redeptiom 2 campaign and online, GTA V campaign, GTA IV campaign.

Age of empires IV, Red dead redeptiom 2 campaign and online, GTA V campaign, GTA IV campaign.
GTA games have online drm on pc don't buy unless you don't care

You can not get the same experincr you get from gaming as a child to when you get older beucase when you are a kid your standards are really low unless the the game is too trash and modern gaming is amazing if you are a norime which is a graphics thot that only care about grahpics and chasing the new games and fighting about old games they have then rebuy it when it gets remake or remaster
I think the reason why I have such high standards regarding games is because I’ve simply played way too many of them growing up, so it’s kind of hard to keep me all round up and encapsulated now and then.

It is true that normies value graphics too much. I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve eavesdropped in on them saying “dude, this game is so good, the graphics are so real” which is unfortunate and goes to show that even in these things, they operate visually and mostly care about the eye candy jfl.

Games I recommend(games I played)
Based list.

Yakuza 0,1,2. Watched cutscenes on YT for 3-5. Like a Dragon Gaiden
RDR2 for the wolf ending. Evil all the way.
Mass Effect
Elden Ring
Sea of Thieves
Dishonored
Prey
Hollow Knight, but fuck that sequel
Lords of the Fallen
Civ 6
Suzerain
Desperados and Shadow Gambit.
Wo Long

Escapism for the win.

this thread is on a spectrum
Being autistic is what I’m best at.

RDR2 for the wolf ending. Evil all the way.
I felt like that game came up short in terms of consequences, there are few changes depending on your choices. If you want some REAL messed up dark side shit in terms of branching story paths, you can’t go wrong with Detroit. You can help the killer go home scot free in Heavy Rain too. Fallout NV and Dishonored are also great candidates, especially Dishonored, the game rewards you greatly for being straight up evil, but the story starts altering only near the end.

Escapism for the win.
Very based.

I probably suggest making a backloggd account and IGN playlist has some good list of games I believe, what is the most reliable rating for a game however? Probably steam but no all games are on steam unfortunately.
What we really need is how to stay updated on new good games and an algorithm system to recommend games to your taste

I like multi-player games

Ggapp.io is pretty nice for curating a list, it doesn’t have a big userbase like metacritic but you can see huge lists and branch off from there. If you lurk on /v/ for a while you’ll also find out about recent games that are worth checking out.

Whatever sethtzeentach reviews is pretty good.

Being autistic is what I’m best at.

I felt like that game came up short in terms of consequences, there are few changes depending on your choices. If you want some REAL messed up dark side shit in terms of branching story paths, you can’t go wrong with Detroit. You can help the killer go home scot free in Heavy Rain too. Fallout NV and Dishonored are also great candidates, especially Dishonored, the game rewards you greatly for being straight up evil, but the story starts altering only near the end.

Very based.

Heavy rain! Shit I had forgotten about Quantic Dream shit. We have similar tastes. I haven't tried Detroit but thanks for the rec.