Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

do you believe in free will?

do you believe in free will?

• Total voters
Free will is a complex theme to discuss. If you are unable to understand basic thoughts on it and wish to discuss it in a simplistic way, find people who are on your iq level and do not ask me questions again. It seems my way of discussing it is way out of your league.
I dont even think you understand your own statements little kid.

that will is capable of comprehending the universe around you, that your ideas, the fact that you can comprehend the universe is a reflection of a reality, of an objective truth that is out there... That says to me that there is a God, a common source that stands behind that objective truth and stands behind the mind that can comprehend that truth.
This is literally "i think therefore i am" but with "also we are all god" thrown in for some reason. Of course none of this matters its just your theory with no logic to backup it up. Just we wuz godz n shiet hand waving

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

If I learned one thing is that almost nobody will tell you what you really need to know, especially not other people or fucking school.

If you are really, really lucky you may have a dad who tells you what you need to know about life.

This world is hell, never forget that

If something is certain, its that there's no absolute free will, so its either hard determinism or soft determinism

If something is certain, its that there's no absolute free will, so its either hard determinism or soft determinism
I just read an article on soft determinism and it seems retarded to me. It seems to say all is deterministic except for our desires and the decisions we make to get them. How do you control your own desires? At a given point in time your desires are fixed, you have to condition yourself to change your desires. You only change your desires if it seems like a good idea to do so for the time and effort you put in to make the change. So there isnt any free will in choosing your desires since it cant be instantaneously done. And for the decision making part of achieving your desires, you simply decide the best course of action to achieve your desire, right? You could spend 5 seconds making a decision or 15 minutes, it depends on how important fulfilling that desire is. No matter what decision you make it will be what you feel is best to achieve the desire. So where is the free will?

Kinda. I believe in free will in the present, but once a decision has been made you cannot go back. Will is also determined upon what kind of personality and mentality you have. Basically you are programed to make decisions based on your interests. Also, once history is made, then history has been fated like that. For example, if you watch a video from time back, then future events from then that also has happened by now is fated to happen.

If you accept determinism, you are also accepting that you have no reason to believe in determinism, since your very belief in determinism would have been determined.

There is no reason without free will. Determined thinking isn't thinking.

If you say that you believe in determinism, you are also saying, "I believe it for absolutely no reason."

There would be no such thing as justified beliefs.

The only people who don't have free will are NPCs

Also, once history is made, then history has been fated like that. For example, if you watch a video from time back, then future events from then that also has happened by now is fated to happen.
Yeah you mean like if the nazis lost ww2 then things would happen in the future as if the nazis lost ww2.... of course. :feelstastyman:

If you accept determinism, you are also accepting that you have no reason to believe in determinism, since your very belief in determinism would have been determined.

There is no reason without free will. Determined thinking isn't thinking.

If you say that you believe in determinism, you are also saying, "I believe it for absolutely no reason."

There would be no such thing as justified beliefs.
You can believe in determinism but also carry out your life feeling like you have free will because we feel everything going on in our head, we are the brain, and feeling like you have free will is an instrinsic part of the feeling aka being process.

All evidence and logic suggests that everything that happens in the universe is the result of causality, and that alone rules out free will as there's zero reason to believe the neurons in our brains are magically exempt.

Most arguments I've heard in support of free will make absolutely zero sense. The best argument I ever heard in favor of free will is basically "well we don't fully understand the human brain and consciousness, so it's possible". Basically it's an unfalsifiable belief rooted in faith. But I'm not really a man of faith, so I'll just apply occam's razor here and assume everything is what it appears to be, which is that we are nothing more than the products of our genetics and environment.

All evidence and logic suggests that everything that happens in the universe is the result of causality, and that alone rules out free will as there's zero reason to believe the neurons in our brains are magically exempt.

Most arguments I've heard in support of free will make absolutely zero sense. The best argument I ever heard in favor of free will is basically "well we don't fully understand the human brain and consciousness, so it's possible". Basically it's an unfalsifiable belief rooted in faith. But I'm not really a man of faith, so I'll just apply occam's razor here and assume everything is what it appears to be, which is that we are nothing more than the products of our genetics and environment.

You can't justify claims about logic without free will.

Yes but only to a little extent concering this dimension

We have the power to make choices,but we also agree to soul contracts that affect our life.

Ah yes, first nothing, then BANG, then universe appeared, is very logical.

You can't justify claims about logic without free will.
Ah yes, first nothing, then BANG, then universe appeared, is very logical.

Since you two are clearly on the side of free will, can you explain what you believe the source of free will is?

Is there something that physically exists in human (or perhaps other animals, depending on your beliefs) brains that is somehow exempt from the law of causality in a way not observable by any scientific method?

Or is there some entity that humans innately have that completely transcends the physical world, like a "spirit" or "soul" in a literal sense?

Since you two are clearly on the side of free will, can you explain what you believe the source of free will is?

Is there something that physically exists in human (or perhaps other animals, depending on your beliefs) brains that is somehow exempt from the law of causality in a way not observable by any scientific method?

Or is there some entity that humans innately have that completely transcends the physical world, like a "spirit" or "soul" in a literal sense?
I can't explain it and nobody knows for sure.

My belief is, as you might have heard others say, that the brain is just an antenna that accommodates the soul.

I believe this due my experiences with synchronicities, my research I did on NDEs, and a paranormal encounter I had.

I also just can't and don't buy materialistic explanations for the big questions. For example the big bang. The obvious challenge to it is what brought the big bang about? And a materialist can never answer it.

animals commit suicide too. depression as a whole is a biological mechanism to prevent untERmenschen from procreating similar to bullying/cacophobia if you will.
regardless of that, we as untERmenschen should fight nature and existance itself with all our powER by existing, fighting, thriving and doing all othER things we are not "supposed to do"!!
Based

It has to be supernatural in origin because naturalism leads to determinism.

Science is not epistemology.

I'm a materialist so no, free will just doesn't make sense to me.