Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Determinism. Are you fucked from the start?

SerCel

SerCel

Full-time Degenerate
★★
For those of you unfamiliar, determinism is a philosophical viewpoint that argues all events are already predetermined by all of the events that came before it. This implies that we have no free will, as we are unable to change the events that came before us. I think this makes perfect sense from a logical point of view. I actually find this liberating because it basically says that whatever´s gonna happen is gonna happen whether you want to or not. Your future is already set in stone and you are hopeless to change it.

Do you guys believe this to be true or do you believe that random chance and free will can play a factor in how your life turns out.

Your life is determined largely by the socio-economic background and education of your parents and the neighborhood and schools you grow up in.

Everything else is cope.

For those of you unfamiliar, determinism is a philosophical viewpoint that argues all events are already predetermined by all of the events that came before it. This implies that we have no free will, as we are unable to change the events that came before us. I think this makes perfect sense from a logical point of view. I actually find this liberating because it basically says that whatever´s gonna happen is gonna happen whether you want to or not. Your future is already set in stone and you are hopeless to change it.

Do you guys believe this to be true or do you believe that random chance and free will can play a factor in how your life turns out.
Honestly, If I learned that I was predetermined to be an Incel, I would feel more satisfied and relaxed. There is nothing worse than knowing that you could have changed your outcome by doing "x".

so you're saying that if there was an identical copy of this universe, everything that would happen in that copy is the same as in the original world?

I think so

It's hard to define "free will" or "free" in this matter as we don't even understand what conciousness is, so fuck that shit

Last edited:
Freedom is an illusion and the concept of freedom or independence within society revolves around a price tag.

Remember, you're only as 'free' as your bank account allows you to be. Natural freedom? Not even, no such thing.

Yes.

Everything always happens only one way, based on things that happened beforehand.

People say that on the quantum level "randomness" can occur but it's entirely possible that catalysts at that level are simply too small for humans to perceive, instead of just non-existent.

I'm pretty sure we live in a VERY advanced simulation.

I'm pretty sure we live in a VERY advanced simulation.
Recent developments have made me believe that we live in some kind of Truman show. Perhaps this entire world is a simulation that I am put in. And somewhere out there, ultra-intelligent beings watch a TV show about me. Not a serious one. More like a dark comedy.

“Will @DepravedAndDeprived shoot up a school in Minecraft before he necks himself? Find out more in the next episode of My ER Life!” :dab:

Recent developments have made me believe that we live in some kind of Truman show. Perhaps this entire world is a simulation that I am put in. And somewhere out there, ultra-intelligent beings watch a TV show about me. Not a serious one. More like a dark comedy.

“Will @DepravedAndDeprived shoot up a school in Minecraft before he necks himself? Find out more in the next episode of My ER Life!” :dab:
tbh

You can try to change something in you life but on basis ( your genes ) which alfeady existed. But you cannot change basis itself.

Yes. All events in the entire universe, past present and future, from the big bang to the heat death of the universe actually occurred all at the same bubble of "space-time". We are unfortunately stuck in the middle and forced to experience each frame one by one like a movie.

Yes.

Everything always happens only one way, based on things that happened beforehand.

People say that on the quantum level "randomness" can occur but it's entirely possible that catalysts at that level are simply too small for humans to perceive, instead of just non-existent.

Yes I was screwed from the start.