Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Would you hook yourself up to the experience machine?

Would you?

• Total voters
i_a_m_i

i_a_m_i

Banned
-
An experience machine is a machine which manipulates the user's conscious experience such that he experiences only pleasure.

It could look something like this:
Fateofhumanity 01ccae 7354714 1

Fateofhumanity 979c67 7354714

Fateofhumanitylargementionlistmerryweathercomics 672cde 7354714

Personally, I would. I see no reason not to.

Yes, definitely.

So it's just hooking you up to a drug dispenser? Sounds good to me man.

Lets become kemono friends and go to Japari park

Impossible, because pleasure is only the negation of pain, or removal from a previous state of suffering, be it in the form of a wish, want, desire or passion.

Simply put, you cannot have pleasure without pain.

Impossible, because pleasure is only the negation of pain, or removal from a previous state of suffering, be it in the form of a wish, want, desire or passion.

The greatest pleasure is when you expect to find yourself in the depths of despair, only for something good to happen. A gun being fired point blank at your head, only to be out of ammunition. A heavy debt canceled the day it is due. Inversely, the greatest despair comes when one plummets from joy into despair. Coming home from a war as a soldier only to find your wife abandoned you, or something like that. So I definitely agree that this machine wouldn’t be able to replicate that
Best post in this thread tbh :feelsPop:

Last edited:
dreaming till i die? yes

I'm not totally convinced that's true. There are sensations, like pleasant smells, that are pleasurable yet have no pain associated with their absence. There are also states of consciousness I would describe as relatively devoid of suffering but not as pleasurable, like the feeling when you're totally focused on something, e.g. reading, playing a video game.

The greatest pleasure is when you expect to find yourself in the depths of despair, only for something good to happen. A gun being fired point blank at your head, only to be out of ammunition. A heavy debt canceled the day it is due. Inversely, the greatest despair comes when one plummets from joy into despair. Coming home from a war as a soldier only to find your wife abandoned you, or something like that. So I definitely agree that this machine wouldn’t be able to replicate that

High IQ examples.

The greatest pleasure is when you expect to find yourself in the depths of despair, only for something good to happen. A gun being fired point blank at your head, only to be out of ammunition. A heavy debt canceled the day it is due. Inversely, the greatest despair comes when one plummets from joy into despair.
Very brutal.

I'm not totally convinced that's true. There are sensations, like pleasant smells, that are pleasurable yet have no pain associated with their absence. There are also states of consciousness I would describe as relatively devoid of suffering but not as pleasurable, like the feeling when you're totally focused on something, e.g. reading, playing a video game.

There is a indeed a certain state that philosophers have called the "Pure Subject of Knowing", where one momentarily forgets the body and thus its attendant pains and pleasures, in order to lose himself into the objective contemplation of the world and feel positively happy. But this goes beyond the pleasure-pain complex which is invariably found together, just as you cannot have a left side without a right side.

Thus pure will-less knowledge is reached by the consciousness of other things being raised to so high a potential that the consciousness of our own selves vanishes. For we apprehend the world purely objectively, only when we no longer know that we belong to it; and all things appear the more beautiful, the more we are conscious merely of them, and the less we are conscious of ourselves. Now as all suffering proceeds from the will that constitutes the real self, all possibility of suffering is abolished simultaneously with the withdrawal of this side of consciousness. In this way, the state of pure objectivity of perception becomes one that makes us feel positively happy."

-World as will and representation vol 2, on the pure subject of knowing

Seems like a hellish matrix existence so I've gotta day no

Naw man. Way too weird for me.

You mean something like the Matrix or the Infinite Tsukuyomi? Hell yes

Better to fantasize about being happy than rot in real life

Interesting

Seems like a hellish matrix existence so I've gotta day no

Just end me, its easier to accept my existence that way.

that too can be simulated. the machine seems to be implied to create scenarios, said scenarios may provide examples of pleasure via the negation of pain.
Also consider drugs provide dopamine without any prior feelings of either happiness or sadness necessary to facilitate the dopamine rush.

Well, as an incel you have nothing to lose, you can only benefit from that
full