Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

TeeHee Women Don't Owe You Pretty

InMemoriam

InMemoriam

Make Paragon Glowie Again
★★★★★
Florence-Given-720x900.jpeg

AN INTRODUCTION

“You don’t owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don’t owe it to your mother, you don’t owe it to your children, you don’t owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked ‘female’.” – Erin McKean

This quote changed my life and inspired the title of this book.

Throughout feminist history, women have expanded on the concept of prettiness as a currency from their different standpoints, and there are a lot of variations on this idea out there. For example, Naomi Wolf’s book The Beauty Myth unpacks in-depth how our beauty standards are linked to capitalism; Chidera Eggerue touches on prettiness in her book What a Time to Be Alone and in her #SaggyBoobsMatter movement to promote a message of anti-perfection; and trans activist Janet Mock speaks on how she felt she gained pretty privilege as she began her transition.

This book – Women Don’t Owe You Pretty – is my interpretation.

This phrase sent me on a journey of unpacking my identity, forcing me to properly examine myself for the first time and ask why the hell I was carrying out these invasive, expensive, time-consuming and at times painful beauty rituals.

I realized how much of my self-worth was determined by whether or not I appeared desirable to men, and whether that prettiness would be enough to encourage them to treat me with respect. But most of the time the attention that my “prettiness” garnered meant that men viewed me as an object, and men don’t respect objects. After all, objects are something we view to be used

without reciprocity – it’s a one-sided relationship. It’s why they didn’t handle my rejection well and called me names like “frigid”, because objects aren’t supposed to be empowered. They’re objects. Acknowledging this was both uncomfortable and liberating – exactly what growth is supposed to feel like.

This phrase also forced me to examine the kinds of standards against which someone’s “prettiness” is measured, and what “pretty” constitutes. Our collective idea of what makes someone pretty in society is based on their proximity to whiteness, thinness, being non-disabled and being cisgender.

This helped me to see how my own prettiness has enabled me opportunities, opportunities that women who fall outside of what society deems as pretty have to work harder for.

Whether I thought I was attractive or not, for the first time I had to acknowledge the objective fact that I sit high on society’s scale of desirability, by being slim, non-disabled and white.

As women we don’t want to admit that we have “pretty privilege” because we have been taught that we should be unaware of our beauty, and to respond to compliments with self-deprecation and remarks such as “No I’m not, look at my...[points to ‘flaws’]!” In order to acknowledge that we have this privilege, we must first call ourselves pretty. Which, due to insecurity, is near impossible for most women.

This is how our desirability privilege is silently maintained, and how as a society we continue to go about de-politicizing our dating preferences as if they aren’t problematic and heavily loaded with racist, fatphobic and sexist bias.

There’s a discussion about whether desirability really is a privilege, since its benefits are rooted in the objectification of our bodies, not respecting them. My prettiness is both the thing that allows people to treat me better, and also the thing that has led to the most traumatic experiences of my life. Men don’t look at pretty women on the street and think “She’s pretty, so I won’t sexually harass her or follow her home.” It’s

the opposite. I walk about life with constant vigilance – anxious for the next man to stick his head out his car window and shout something at me, spike the drink that my “prettiness” encouraged him to buy for me – and stop in a shop before I go home to check I’m not being followed.

Keys between my fingers, heart racing, checking over my shoulder, strategizing my safest route home even if it means spending money on a taxi – this is what navigating public spaces looks like for a lot of women.

I can’t tell you the amount of times I have contemplated shaving my head to rid me of male attention and sexual harassment almost entirely overnight. But I realized that to do so would imply that it’s my responsibility to prevent this harassment, not theirs.

I was taught how to count calories, have boundaries with and say “no” to food as a young girl, before I learned about the importance of having boundaries and saying “no” to other people. What do you think that taught me about being a woman in this world? I learned that it was more important for me to be an object of desire, than it was to have my own needs met and be respected as a person.

These harmful belief systems and low self-esteem landed me in abusive relationships as my boundaries were non-existent and I didn’t believe I deserved better. I was just happy that someone wanted me.

I often wonder what my life would look like if I had learned that my body belongs to me, and me alone, first; that the way my body looks and its purpose is not to please others. I wonder what my life would look like if I had understood that I do not owe anybody “nice”, “perfect”, “petite” or “pretty”; that the best version of myself is not the one that is broken down in order to fit into the room afforded for women in a man’s world, but is the version that stays whole in spite of other people’s reactions – whether there is space for me or not.

Instead, I killed, squashed and minimized parts of who I really was in favour of the validation I craved, living to please everyone but myself – and I don’t want you to feel as though you have to do the same.

This is the book I wish I could have whacked myself over the head with before the world’s toxicity permeated its way into my life.

TL;DR we don't owe subhumans pretty; we sexually objectify ourselves for chadu cocku onry JFL :lul:
This entire book screams entitlement, condescension, pretty privilege and feminist dogmas :forcedsmile:

Here’s what a conversation between my younger self and older self would have sounded like.

Older Floss: Floss – why are you stuffing your bra and skipping breakfast?

Younger Floss: Because that’s what boys like! Skinny girls with big tits.

OF: Okay Floss, can I have a word?

YF: Yeah, what’s the problem?

OF: I understand why you feel the way you do, but...

YF: Yeah? All the popular girls are doing it.

OF: Well, what you do with your body is your choice and your choice only. But I think it’s really important for you to understand the real reason behind your choices. Because what you’re doing to yourself is actually very unhealthy. Can you tell me why you’re skipping meals? What’s your reason behind this?

YF: Because “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”! I’m not doing it for men. I just like the way it looks.

OF: Jesus. Okay. First of all, I know you’re in 2013 right now, but it’s 2020 where I am and Kate Moss herself has since publicly regretted ever saying that. Your weight does not define you and it is not a measure of your beauty, that concept is now

OBSOLETE. Second of all, the reason you want to do this to yourself may not be consciously motivated by wanting to attract men, but our collective idea as a society of what is “pretty” and “desirable” is informed entirely by racism, sexism, fatphobia, disablism, transphobia and male desire. So even though you’re doing it “because you want to”, the reason you think big boobs and skinniness is beautiful is because it’s what men want, and we consume their ideas of beauty through the media, films and television. Do you notice how boys just show up to school in their uniform, with scruffy hair and sleep in their eyes?

YF: But it’s just different for bo… Oh. I see. Yeah I guess that’s not fair, is it?

OF: No, it isn’t. While the boys get to wake up ten minutes before school starts, put on their uniform and scoff down their breakfast, you spend an entire morning looking in the mirror making yourself up in a way that you hope those same boys would desire you, skipping your breakfast in an attempt to be a slim, pretty object of their affection. You must be exhausted. Have you ever thought about what you could do with that extra time? Have you ever wondered what your life might look like if you just showed up, as you are?

YF: Wow, I hadn’t thought of it like that. I guess it would be easier if I could just roll out of bed and turn up…but still, all the popular girls do it and I want to be popular! Life is easier when I make myself look pretty! It’s normal – all the girls in the magazines and movies who get the guy are the prettiest. All the men want to date them!

OF: And why do you feel so strongly that men need to desire you?

YF: Doesn’t every woman feel that way? I thought that’s just the way the world works…women make themselves pretty so men can desire them.

OF: So, you believe a woman’s worth is tied up in her ability to be pretty?

YF: I never thought about it like that. I guess, maybe I do…

OF: So, if you feel that way, and you believe that your worth as a woman is tied up in your beauty, how do you feel about women who aren’t pretty? Do you look down on them? Do you think they’re worthless?

YF: I don’t think I do. But perhaps…

OF: Do you feel you make yourself look this way because you like it, or are you performing femininity out of routine so you can be treated better by other people? The same way you know deep down that you yourself are nicer to women who perform femininity?

YF: OH MY GOD STOP ATTACKING ME!

OF: It wasn’t an attack, Floss. These questions are acting as a mirror, and they’re forcing you to see the ugly parts of your internalized hatred towards other women and femininity. Reflect on it, and answer my question!

YF: Well, if I don’t go to school with make-up and my hair looking nice people always mention it, they say I look tired. People treat me way better and acknowledge me when I look pretty, so I figured I’d conform! I get what you’re saying. It’s not fair and men get to just show up as they are blah blah blah. But surely if I look more pretty and make myself up in the image of what men want, then they will choose me!

OF: Why do you feel the need to be chosen by men? Why can’t you just go to school – to learn?

YF: I – don’t actually know. Again, it’s what I’ve always been told I should want – a man, that is. I guess I never thought to ask myself why I want to be “chosen by men”, or where that came from.

OF: So, ask yourself now!

YF: Because it’s what everyone else is doing? I saw it in movies? All girls try to look good for men! I don’t know, that’s just the way it is!

OF: Well Floss, you’re not wrong. A man is more likely to choose you if you perform femininity and make yourself up in the image of their desire…

YF: This is what I’m trying to say!

OF: …but not in the way you want men to choose you.

YF: Oh.

OF: If you have to perform a level of “prettiness” in order to be chosen by someone, they are choosing you based on your objective beauty. I get that you crave to be chosen by someone based on more than how you look. You want to be chosen for your entire self. Darling, as long as you spend your years chasing male validation, you will exhaust yourself all the way to your grave. Because male validation is a bottomless pit. It won’t ever see you how you deserve to be seen. Stop chasing it. Stop trying to attract it. Stop trying to mould yourself into a palatable Floss. It will consume you and spit you back out once it’s done using you. Your main goal in life is not to be “chosen” by a man anyway. It’s all a big lie. You don’t actually need men

for anything. Or at the very least, not in the capacity you’ve been made to think you do.

YF: WAIT, WHAT?! I thought we needed men for like...everything?!

OF: Not true.

YF: What about money? I’ve always thought I’d marry a rich man…

OF: If that’s what you want to do, that’s fine. But also, go make your own money first. You are a rich man.

YF: Fine – what about having kids?

OF: Do you even want kids? Or do you feel a pressure to have them because, as well as her ability to be beautiful, a woman’s worth in this society has also been based on her ability to reproduce? You are not a failure if you do not have children…

YF: Jesus – not have children? I’ll get back to you on that one. What about for sex, and love? We need men for sex!

OF: Buy a vibrator. Also, contrary to the messaging of mainstream media that you have been consuming your entire life, men aren’t the only option for a potential romantic
partner! Have you ever considered that you might be attracted to other genders?

YF: Well shit.

OF: What?!

YF: I’ve always wanted to date women and people of other genders, but I’ve been afraid to express this because I’m

attracted to men too, and figured my feelings for other people were invalid…

OF: You see! We are taught in so many ways that we need to rely on men to be happy. But you don’t. And by the way hun, you’re queer as hell.

YF: So, what you’re saying is that I only require men to be in my life in a capacity that adds to my already amazing existence?

OF: YES…

YF: I don’t have to compromise myself because...I’m enough on my own?

OF: YES! Encouraging women to spend hours focusing on their prettiness and desirability for men, instead of directing that energy towards themselves, is a very intentional method to make sure that men keep making all the money, having all the fun and having lots of sex, while women are expected to compete for their attention and are shamed for doing the exact same things men do.

YF: Why would women be shamed for doing the same things as men? That doesn’t seem fair.

OF: You’re right, it isn’t. But it happens. Because when women choose to behave outside of our appointed, prescribed gender roles, it unravels centuries of oppressive structures and some people can’t handle their reality being challenged. In the name of preserving this “tradition” they use the tool of shame to keep us in our place. An example is how women are called “bitches” for being assertive, setting firm boundaries or standing up for themselves. Most of the time, it’s not even men

who call women bitches. When we turn against each other, it’s patriarchy’s very sneaky way of continuing our oppression – because it gets other women to do its dirty work, so it doesn’t look guilty of being the reason we are taught to compete with and hate each other in the first place.

YF: Wait, so you’re saying that sexism and double standards are just a big trick to stop us focusing on our careers, making our own money, having sex and enjoying our lives, instead encouraging us to fight with each other and believe that we need men and that we can’t live without them?

OF: Pretty much.

YF: Surely some women can have it all – right?

OF: Some women might appear to have it all – living their best lives with thriving careers, lots of sex, they may have children too – but this comes at a price. We will not be treated in the same way men are for doing this. People will laugh at you, shame you, you will be called “selfish” for trying to achieve the same lifestyle as a man, and often you’ll find that you are paid less for doing the same job a man does. This is actually going to happen to you by the way, quite a few times. Ready yourself.

YF: But what’s the point in “being myself” if that version of me is going to be treated poorly and criticized? Why don’t I just carry on the way I am, performing femininity for men, and living in the roles supplied to me, so the world continues to reward me with unearned benefits?

OF: Points well made. I hear your confusion, and that’s a very important and valid question. Performing femininity and prettiness for a lot of women is survival. You’re right. Why would you take the route of “being yourself” when you know

that there’s a much easier, well-travelled route. One where you are treated better, and all you have to do is grab a make-up brush and a razor!

YF: That’s what I mean!

OF: Right! You are seen when you look pretty. Men like it when you shrink yourself down, because this dynamic confirms their masculinity.

YF: You mean that when I make myself smaller around a man and “stay in my lane” it’s so he can perform his masculinity and not feel threatened by my confidence?

OF: You got it.

YF: Yeah, that feels like...not my problem? Why should I shrink myself for someone else’s comfort?

OF: Exactly, it’s not your problem. A lot of straight men don’t actually know who they are if they aren’t able to “provide” for women. You might find yourself subconsciously doing all kinds of ridiculous things to fluff their egos. For example, pretending you don’t know a lot about a subject, just so he can explain it to you. Society rewards women who don’t have to be told to stay in their lane. It loves women who just readily accept their gender roles and conform, the ones who don’t challenge its regime. Doing little things to please men will afford you a lot of advantages.

However, as femininity is associated with “weakness”, it can also be the thing that people mistreat us for. You need to look no further than a man’s reaction to someone who just told him he’s “acting like a girl” to see how true this is. If one of the worst things you can call a man is “a girl” – what kind of

message is that sending to girls?

YF: Wow. I guess that explains why I pride myself so much on the parts of my identity that make me “not like the other girls”.

OF: Exactly, the “other girls” are all of us. Cut that shit out! This is called internalized misogyny, you are to trying to distance yourself from femininity as much as possible, to win over the attention of men. Women are often not taken seriously because of their femininity. Our higher-pitched voices are mocked to the point that media-trained women are taught to speak lower. You’ll be called a “slut” for having casual sex with men, but a “prude” when you reject them. Our cleavage and curves are used to sell products in advertisements for companies run by rich men, but we’re told to cover ourselves up when breastfeeding our children, and...

YF: Okay I think I get it. What you’re saying is that either way, no matter what I do as a woman – I can’t win? There’s always going to be compromise?

OF: Yes.

YF: That sucks.

OF: Not if you change your perspective.

YF: How do you mean?

OF: Well, if you’re going to be punished either way – tell me. What option does that leave you with?

YF: To do whatever the fuck I want?

OF: Exactly.

:lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul:

I deserve girlfriend

:foidSoy:We live in a patriarchal society which prioritizes our desirability above anything and everything else. Which means that…
:foidSoy:Life is easier when we dress up. Life is easier when we shave.
:foidSoy:Life is easier when we wear make-up to work.
:foidSoy:Life is easier when we have made a visible “effort” with our appearance. Life is easier when we reflect society’s idea of beauty. Full stop.

We are expected to show up and perform to expectations in order to be seen, and we know how to make our life easier if we apply the rules the patriarchy has set out for us. Look at where marginalized identities intersect with being a woman – trans women are still expected by society at large to perform this type of femininity to pass as a “real woman” (there’s no such thing), and women of colour are expected by society to perform “prettiness” to a further degree, in a world where whiteness

has been positioned as the epitome of beauty and “femininity”. Historically there has been little representation of marginalized identities in the media and even when there is, it’s often a stereotypical, harmful portrayal, constructing these identities as inferior to the default of whiteness, thinness and heterosexuality.

classic foid mentality here complaining about shit they've started :smonk:

this brocel observation is on point here:

is exactly them ''pretty privileged'' entitled women like the author here have started this lookist shitstorm that we subhumans live in today :feelsUnreal:

Great, nobody owes men anything, except when men have to shower women with attention, pay taxes and for their lunches etc.

JFL shit keeps getting better :lul: she'll be a cat lady in no time :feelsPop:

PATRIARCHY WANTS YOU TO SETTLE. DON’T.

As a society, we have such an odd way of pitching and

positioning single women. The way we talk to women approaching their thirties is often as though at any given moment, if they don’t couple up, they might actually combust. We tell them that they need to get their skates on and pressure them to act soon while they’re “young and beautiful”. The fact that a lot of women fear being single has a lot to do with the language surrounding relationships.

We talk of women being the “last one on the shelf”, people in couples talk of their partners as their “other half” as though being single means they’re incomplete. Heteronormativity has truly fucked up so many of us, to the point where we would rather be in a toxic relationship than have no relationship at all. Heteronormativity wants women to settle.

Heteronormativity has convinced us all that being single is some kind of tragic fate, as though we have been thrust unwillingly into a state of “waiting for the next relationship”, a state which we must get ourselves out of immediately.

I changed the way I viewed being single when I flipped my perspective. I realized it was a choice. You’re choosing to be single, you also might have turned down some people since your last relationship, and that in itself is you actively deciding that you’d rather be on your own than settle for less than you deserve. You have set your standards and, by staying single, you’re sticking to them.

You have decided that you deserve quality treatment (whatever that means to you) and anything that does not seek to add value to your life doesn’t deserve a place in it. Simple! Knowing what you’d want from a partner, new friend or even your career can be so powerful. Because when situations and people which do not align with what you want and need present themselves, they can be intentionally avoided.
They’re just a distraction. Carry on, as you were.
“Single” doesn’t mean “waiting for you”.

Choosing to be single is an autonomous choice, and a lot of men fear autonomous women and gender non-conforming people. It reminds them that we have other purposes on this planet than to serve them.

Women who don’t have kids are called “selfish” and made to feel that their life is a waste. Women in heterosexual relationships who earn more than their partners are labelled “controlling” or “bossy”. Women who reject sexual advances are called “frigid”, yet that same accuser will call a woman who enjoys casual sex a “slut”.

When people make autonomous decisions about their bodies and their lifestyles they are met with a whole spectrum of resistance and this is particularly true for marginalized people. Anything that deviates from the narrative society has written for and about you is shamed and unaccepted.

Incels don’t owe you chad :lul:

straight out of the little whore's mouth

Do you listen to and respect people you’re not attracted to?

I sit high on the scale of desirability, being slim, non-disabled, white, cisgender and feminine. People open up to me and see me as “nice” and “innocent” before I even get a chance to open my mouth. I could be awful but I am afforded many privileges as a result of being “desired” by society. Because I am white, I am more likely to be seen and heard. Because my gender expression aligns with society’s expectations, I am more likely to be desired.

at least she is self aware enough to recognize her privileges :foidSoy:

Not Reading all that shit

Most of them already make 0 effort so… :feelsclown:

Women don't owe men anything and men are entitled pieces of shit, but women are of course entitled to men paying for dates, men providing for them etc etc etc and that's not entitled at all. Dis y u inkler!!

Women don't owe men anything and men are entitled pieces of shit, but women are of course entitled to men paying for dates, men providing for them etc etc etc and that's not entitled at all. Dis y u inkler!!
high IQ

But men owe you
- handsome,
- but with the kind of money that comes from racoon-eye hours of work,
- yet giving you time and attention on demand,
- with their lifelong reputation to be held by you at ransom,
- and sacrifice of life, limb, and anything else asked for when it hits the fan,
- all the while demonstrating groveling and unending gratitude for your condescension to receive these.

You don’t owe prettiness to anyone

Ugly females can still easily obtain mediocre men's resources, sperm, and companionship --- easily.

Women beautify themselves in order to compete for attention from the topmost male in the tribe.

There is one desirable male (either handsome, high-status, or rich) for every 20 females (or so). These 20 (or so) females beautify themselves to compete against other females for the attention, sperm, resources, status (by proximity) of this high-desirability male.

Foid self-beautification (FSB) is, therefore, a phenomenon entirely driven by their competition with other foids for access to males.

Foids don't beautify themselves because they "owe" anything, but because they know their looks opens doors to the best spots in clubs, grants them invitations to the best parties in the best venues, grants them resources from thirsty beta males, tinder matches with rich, handsome, high-status guys, etc.

But men owe you
- handsome,
- and sacrifice of life, limb, and anything else asked for when it hits the fan,
- all the while demonstrating groveling and unending gratitude for your condescension to receive these.
"Women are human beings, men are human doings sweetie" :foidSoy:

Fucking white toilets and their feminist shit always. Cancer on humanity.

Here’s what a conversation between my younger self and older self would have sounded like.

Older Floss: Floss – why are you stuffing your bra and skipping breakfast?

Younger Floss: Because that’s what boys like! Skinny girls with big tits.

OF: Okay Floss, can I have a word?

YF: Yeah, what’s the problem?

OF: I understand why you feel the way you do, but...

YF: Yeah? All the popular girls are doing it.

OF: Well, what you do with your body is your choice and your choice only. But I think it’s really important for you to understand the real reason behind your choices. Because what you’re doing to yourself is actually very unhealthy. Can you tell me why you’re skipping meals? What’s your reason behind this?

YF: Because “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”! I’m not doing it for men. I just like the way it looks.

OF: Jesus. Okay. First of all, I know you’re in 2013 right now, but it’s 2020 where I am and Kate Moss herself has since publicly regretted ever saying that. Your weight does not define you and it is not a measure of your beauty, that concept is now

OBSOLETE. Second of all, the reason you want to do this to yourself may not be consciously motivated by wanting to attract men, but our collective idea as a society of what is “pretty” and “desirable” is informed entirely by racism, sexism, fatphobia, disablism, transphobia and male desire. So even though you’re doing it “because you want to”, the reason you think big boobs and skinniness is beautiful is because it’s what men want, and we consume their ideas of beauty through the media, films and television. Do you notice how boys just show up to school in their uniform, with scruffy hair and sleep in their eyes?

YF: But it’s just different for bo… Oh. I see. Yeah I guess that’s not fair, is it?

OF: No, it isn’t. While the boys get to wake up ten minutes before school starts, put on their uniform and scoff down their breakfast, you spend an entire morning looking in the mirror making yourself up in a way that you hope those same boys would desire you, skipping your breakfast in an attempt to be a slim, pretty object of their affection. You must be exhausted. Have you ever thought about what you could do with that extra time? Have you ever wondered what your life might look like if you just showed up, as you are?

YF: Wow, I hadn’t thought of it like that. I guess it would be easier if I could just roll out of bed and turn up…but still, all the popular girls do it and I want to be popular! Life is easier when I make myself look pretty! It’s normal – all the girls in the magazines and movies who get the guy are the prettiest. All the men want to date them!

OF: And why do you feel so strongly that men need to desire you?

YF: Doesn’t every woman feel that way? I thought that’s just the way the world works…women make themselves pretty so men can desire them.

OF: So, you believe a woman’s worth is tied up in her ability to be pretty?

YF: I never thought about it like that. I guess, maybe I do…

OF: So, if you feel that way, and you believe that your worth as a woman is tied up in your beauty, how do you feel about women who aren’t pretty? Do you look down on them? Do you think they’re worthless?

YF: I don’t think I do. But perhaps…

OF: Do you feel you make yourself look this way because you like it, or are you performing femininity out of routine so you can be treated better by other people? The same way you know deep down that you yourself are nicer to women who perform femininity?

YF: OH MY GOD STOP ATTACKING ME!

OF: It wasn’t an attack, Floss. These questions are acting as a mirror, and they’re forcing you to see the ugly parts of your internalized hatred towards other women and femininity. Reflect on it, and answer my question!

YF: Well, if I don’t go to school with make-up and my hair looking nice people always mention it, they say I look tired. People treat me way better and acknowledge me when I look pretty, so I figured I’d conform! I get what you’re saying. It’s not fair and men get to just show up as they are blah blah blah. But surely if I look more pretty and make myself up in the image of what men want, then they will choose me!

OF: Why do you feel the need to be chosen by men? Why can’t you just go to school – to learn?

YF: I – don’t actually know. Again, it’s what I’ve always been told I should want – a man, that is. I guess I never thought to ask myself why I want to be “chosen by men”, or where that came from.

OF: So, ask yourself now!

YF: Because it’s what everyone else is doing? I saw it in movies? All girls try to look good for men! I don’t know, that’s just the way it is!

OF: Well Floss, you’re not wrong. A man is more likely to choose you if you perform femininity and make yourself up in the image of their desire…

YF: This is what I’m trying to say!

OF: …but not in the way you want men to choose you.

YF: Oh.

OF: If you have to perform a level of “prettiness” in order to be chosen by someone, they are choosing you based on your objective beauty. I get that you crave to be chosen by someone based on more than how you look. You want to be chosen for your entire self. Darling, as long as you spend your years chasing male validation, you will exhaust yourself all the way to your grave. Because male validation is a bottomless pit. It won’t ever see you how you deserve to be seen. Stop chasing it. Stop trying to attract it. Stop trying to mould yourself into a palatable Floss. It will consume you and spit you back out once it’s done using you. Your main goal in life is not to be “chosen” by a man anyway. It’s all a big lie. You don’t actually need men

for anything. Or at the very least, not in the capacity you’ve been made to think you do.

YF: WAIT, WHAT?! I thought we needed men for like...everything?!

OF: Not true.

YF: What about money? I’ve always thought I’d marry a rich man…

OF: If that’s what you want to do, that’s fine. But also, go make your own money first. You are a rich man.

YF: Fine – what about having kids?

OF: Do you even want kids? Or do you feel a pressure to have them because, as well as her ability to be beautiful, a woman’s worth in this society has also been based on her ability to reproduce? You are not a failure if you do not have children…

YF: Jesus – not have children? I’ll get back to you on that one. What about for sex, and love? We need men for sex!

OF: Buy a vibrator. Also, contrary to the messaging of mainstream media that you have been consuming your entire life, men aren’t the only option for a potential romantic
partner! Have you ever considered that you might be attracted to other genders?

YF: Well shit.

OF: What?!

YF: I’ve always wanted to date women and people of other genders, but I’ve been afraid to express this because I’m

attracted to men too, and figured my feelings for other people were invalid…

OF: You see! We are taught in so many ways that we need to rely on men to be happy. But you don’t. And by the way hun, you’re queer as hell.

YF: So, what you’re saying is that I only require men to be in my life in a capacity that adds to my already amazing existence?

OF: YES…

YF: I don’t have to compromise myself because...I’m enough on my own?

OF: YES! Encouraging women to spend hours focusing on their prettiness and desirability for men, instead of directing that energy towards themselves, is a very intentional method to make sure that men keep making all the money, having all the fun and having lots of sex, while women are expected to compete for their attention and are shamed for doing the exact same things men do.

YF: Why would women be shamed for doing the same things as men? That doesn’t seem fair.

OF: You’re right, it isn’t. But it happens. Because when women choose to behave outside of our appointed, prescribed gender roles, it unravels centuries of oppressive structures and some people can’t handle their reality being challenged. In the name of preserving this “tradition” they use the tool of shame to keep us in our place. An example is how women are called “bitches” for being assertive, setting firm boundaries or standing up for themselves. Most of the time, it’s not even men

who call women bitches. When we turn against each other, it’s patriarchy’s very sneaky way of continuing our oppression – because it gets other women to do its dirty work, so it doesn’t look guilty of being the reason we are taught to compete with and hate each other in the first place.

YF: Wait, so you’re saying that sexism and double standards are just a big trick to stop us focusing on our careers, making our own money, having sex and enjoying our lives, instead encouraging us to fight with each other and believe that we need men and that we can’t live without them?

OF: Pretty much.

YF: Surely some women can have it all – right?

OF: Some women might appear to have it all – living their best lives with thriving careers, lots of sex, they may have children too – but this comes at a price. We will not be treated in the same way men are for doing this. People will laugh at you, shame you, you will be called “selfish” for trying to achieve the same lifestyle as a man, and often you’ll find that you are paid less for doing the same job a man does. This is actually going to happen to you by the way, quite a few times. Ready yourself.

YF: But what’s the point in “being myself” if that version of me is going to be treated poorly and criticized? Why don’t I just carry on the way I am, performing femininity for men, and living in the roles supplied to me, so the world continues to reward me with unearned benefits?

OF: Points well made. I hear your confusion, and that’s a very important and valid question. Performing femininity and prettiness for a lot of women is survival. You’re right. Why would you take the route of “being yourself” when you know

that there’s a much easier, well-travelled route. One where you are treated better, and all you have to do is grab a make-up brush and a razor!

YF: That’s what I mean!

OF: Right! You are seen when you look pretty. Men like it when you shrink yourself down, because this dynamic confirms their masculinity.

YF: You mean that when I make myself smaller around a man and “stay in my lane” it’s so he can perform his masculinity and not feel threatened by my confidence?

OF: You got it.

YF: Yeah, that feels like...not my problem? Why should I shrink myself for someone else’s comfort?

OF: Exactly, it’s not your problem. A lot of straight men don’t actually know who they are if they aren’t able to “provide” for women. You might find yourself subconsciously doing all kinds of ridiculous things to fluff their egos. For example, pretending you don’t know a lot about a subject, just so he can explain it to you. Society rewards women who don’t have to be told to stay in their lane. It loves women who just readily accept their gender roles and conform, the ones who don’t challenge its regime. Doing little things to please men will afford you a lot of advantages.

However, as femininity is associated with “weakness”, it can also be the thing that people mistreat us for. You need to look no further than a man’s reaction to someone who just told him he’s “acting like a girl” to see how true this is. If one of the worst things you can call a man is “a girl” – what kind of

message is that sending to girls?

YF: Wow. I guess that explains why I pride myself so much on the parts of my identity that make me “not like the other girls”.

OF: Exactly, the “other girls” are all of us. Cut that shit out! This is called internalized misogyny, you are to trying to distance yourself from femininity as much as possible, to win over the attention of men. Women are often not taken seriously because of their femininity. Our higher-pitched voices are mocked to the point that media-trained women are taught to speak lower. You’ll be called a “slut” for having casual sex with men, but a “prude” when you reject them. Our cleavage and curves are used to sell products in advertisements for companies run by rich men, but we’re told to cover ourselves up when breastfeeding our children, and...

YF: Okay I think I get it. What you’re saying is that either way, no matter what I do as a woman – I can’t win? There’s always going to be compromise?

OF: Yes.

YF: That sucks.

OF: Not if you change your perspective.

YF: How do you mean?

OF: Well, if you’re going to be punished either way – tell me. What option does that leave you with?

YF: To do whatever the fuck I want?

OF: Exactly.

:lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul:
Women aren't entitled to safety hahaha.

Foids don't beautify themselves because they "owe" anything, but because they know their looks opens doors to the best spots in clubs, grants them invitations to the best parties in the best venues, grants them resources from thirsty beta males, tinder matches with rich, handsome, high-status guys, etc.

True... it's like saying well, you don't have to take that Mercedes to work -- you can take the train if you feel like it -- don't burden yourself with gas and oil changes and the ability to go where you want when you want.

JFL shit keeps getting better :lul: she'll be a cat lady in no time :feelsPop:

PATRIARCHY WANTS YOU TO SETTLE. DON’T.

As a society, we have such an odd way of pitching and

positioning single women. The way we talk to women approaching their thirties is often as though at any given moment, if they don’t couple up, they might actually combust. We tell them that they need to get their skates on and pressure them to act soon while they’re “young and beautiful”. The fact that a lot of women fear being single has a lot to do with the language surrounding relationships.

We talk of women being the “last one on the shelf”, people in couples talk of their partners as their “other half” as though being single means they’re incomplete. Heteronormativity has truly fucked up so many of us, to the point where we would rather be in a toxic relationship than have no relationship at all. Heteronormativity wants women to settle.

Heteronormativity has convinced us all that being single is some kind of tragic fate, as though we have been thrust unwillingly into a state of “waiting for the next relationship”, a state which we must get ourselves out of immediately.

I changed the way I viewed being single when I flipped my perspective. I realized it was a choice. You’re choosing to be single, you also might have turned down some people since your last relationship, and that in itself is you actively deciding that you’d rather be on your own than settle for less than you deserve. You have set your standards and, by staying single, you’re sticking to them.

You have decided that you deserve quality treatment (whatever that means to you) and anything that does not seek to add value to your life doesn’t deserve a place in it. Simple! Knowing what you’d want from a partner, new friend or even your career can be so powerful. Because when situations and people which do not align with what you want and need present themselves, they can be intentionally avoided.
They’re just a distraction. Carry on, as you were.
“Single” doesn’t mean “waiting for you”.

Choosing to be single is an autonomous choice, and a lot of men fear autonomous women and gender non-conforming people. It reminds them that we have other purposes on this planet than to serve them.

Women who don’t have kids are called “selfish” and made to feel that their life is a waste. Women in heterosexual relationships who earn more than their partners are labelled “controlling” or “bossy”. Women who reject sexual advances are called “frigid”, yet that same accuser will call a woman who enjoys casual sex a “slut”.

When people make autonomous decisions about their bodies and their lifestyles they are met with a whole spectrum of resistance and this is particularly true for marginalized people. Anything that deviates from the narrative society has written for and about you is shamed and unaccepted.
Words, words, words. This is the level of mental gymnastics a post-wall hag has to argue to herself to convince herself her biological clock isn’t up.

Yeah, sorry, your perspective doesn’t change biology. Women have been racing the clock for all off human history, and your time is up.

If there’s one justice in this cruel world, it’s that there’s an endless supply of young, pretty women ready to push aside the old hags like a top ten draft pick ready to take the starting spot over the veteran quarterback.

But men owe you
- handsome,