Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Based What does "based" mean? Have you ever thought about it?

FrothySolutions

FrothySolutions

Post like the FBI is watching.
★★★★★
I mean what based means. Where the word comes from. Surely some of you must've wondered. Well, I'll tell you.

I don't often pull rank around here, but as an oldcel I remember a time when we didn't say "based" like we do now. Because the term as we knew it was just being born. And the father of that term was Internet rapper Lil B TheBased God.

December 30th, 2012 was the year he went public with the name. When he released the album "Tears 4 God." And back then we didn't say "based." Instead the meme du jour was "BasedGod Fucked My Bitch" or "BasedGod Fucked My Bitches." And only over time did that eventually just shorten to "based" as we knew it.

But what does it mean to be "based?" Well, actually the term "based" is much older than even that. "Based" was a word people used back when BasedGod was a kid. It meant you were like a tweaker or a crackhead or a retard. "Based." Like a basehead. So BasedGod decided to "reclaim" the word and make it mean "Really cool guy." To quote him in Complex back in 2015...

Based means being yourself. Not being scared of what people think about you. Not being afraid to do what you wanna do. Being positive. When I was younger, based was a negative term that meant like dopehead, or basehead. People used to make fun of me. They was like, "You're based." They'd use it as a negative. And what I did was turn that negative into a positive. I started embracing it like, "Yeah, I'm based." I made it mine. I embedded it in my head. Based is positive.

That is the story of the word "based."

Based? Based on what?

Based on a nigger...

#thanksjews

(Everyone knows freebase is better than crack)

Based thread. :dab:

based infers to basis e,g based argument.

Last edited:
Based is even older than that, it refers to a substance that can receive hydrogen ions.

Based is even older than that, it refers to a substance that can receive hydrogen ions.

I'm talking about the origin of the meaning we've ascribed to it.

I am as well. It is a scientific term that became based

But that scientific term doesn't mean "cool thing" or anything related to how we use it today. The "cool thing" term began with BasedGod.

This is actually true. Lil B has some based music tho. That diss he did against joe budden was insane, fuckin annihilated him lol