Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Was anyone else here an avid reader when they were kids but then lost the habit?

thespanishcel

thespanishcel

Overlord
★★★★★
I remember until I was like 11 or 12 I read a lot. I used to go to the library once a month, get me between 5 and 10 books, read them all (except if they were boring) and then returning them. My parents were so proud of me or even the library old foid worker liked that I was so interested in reading kek. When I discovered manga and comic books I borrowed those too so my reading habits decreased a little but I still read many normal books, not just manga/comic. Then middle school came, got more into vidya and wasting time online and sadly lost the habit of reading.

Tried getting into it again but I realized that during the school year it's pointless because the study load doesn't give you much time to read something else apart from academic stuff and when you're done studying the last thing you want to do is read even more. In summer if I find a nice book however I can read it very consistently and enjoy it but during the school year I can't do it anymore unlike when I was a kid. This year that I'm doing a masters the workload is less (I just do assignments and have very few hours of class a week) so I've been able to read more than in all the high school and uni years :feelsautistic: Also got me a second hand Amazon kindle which makes reading very easy because you don't have to spend money on books (piratemaxxing) and even if they're long they're not heavy in your backpack. I usually read in my commutes to work, when waiting for public transport or even during work if I don't have any customers. Much more entertaining than browsing the web randomly.

Similar story here. I used to read a lot as kid.
But being forced in high school and my uni to study a lot killed a bookworm in me.

As a kid i only read fully Robinson Crusoe. As an adult in a year or two i read non stop and then i stopped.

I used to read any fantasy book (LOTR, wheel of time, etc.) I could find as a kid, I mostly stopped reading once I got a phone and had steady access to my own computer.

Yes, I used to read fiction all the time. It's something I've only done very rarely in the last decade or so.

Yes, I read a bunch of encylopedias, children's books, comics, and a few novels. I would have read a lot more often if I had money to buy books with. Nowadays I just occasionally read commie political economic theory from a century or two ago

I was an avid reader too when i was young, not anymore. I rarely read.
I no longer have the patience. On the rare occasions that I read, if the book bores me in 2 pages, I drop it.

lol i didn’t read literature as a kid willingly, but captain underpants and diary of a wimpy kid was the shit

My reading intensity is nowhere close to what it used to be in middle school

I never liked to read, always preferred playing vidya

i really liked reading novels as a kid and now im more interested in philosophy and nonfiction. i try reading novels sometimes but can't really get into em

also my attention span has decreased by quite a bit

I read when I was 8-12 then stopped till I was like 14 and then started again

I stopped because of depression and poor eyesite and worsened eyestrain

Yeah I used to read books a lot when I was younger and spent a lot time at the library but now I can barley read a paragraph. Guess I killed all my brain cells lol :smonk:

When I get high enough post count, I will read some of my esoteric occult stuff on VC.

I read so much that as a kid, whenever Pizza Hut would run it's "Read a certain amount of books, get a free personal pan pizza" campaign, I was like "Sweet, free pizza!" But of course, school had to ruin that. :cryfeels:

I lost the fiction reading habit in college, but I read political science, history and more recently evolutionary psychology (yeah, I'm piratemaxxing, I don't have the money to buy good english language science books nor the physical space to accommodate them in my flat).

Last edited: