Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Blackpill The Blackpill Order of Monkcels - Update III

After reading the book, I decided that it has overall good message from my experiences and understandings. Then I discussed with him over the phone and along with @K9Otaku and we had a good conversation. This is as simple as it gets.
OK. You were sold on it and didn't take much convincing. That's fine.

When you claim to have nothing else worth living for (as you and many others are trying to do on this forum) then you MIGHT want to take what someone who has offered a chance at permenent clarity much more seriously! Beyond that, it's just the thing to do in the times I feel. What's better? Church, Normie social-life? Other weak bullshit? The part about Credit Masturbation and then the other things we have discussed (sometimes in more depth 1-on-1) make sense to me.
I never claimed this, so the rest of what you're saying here doesn't apply to me personally.

Well, please keep in mind you have been both "fighting" and arguing properly with him both simultaneously for a while now, all over the place. When this happens, of course a person who has taken a stance or joined something more than just himself, will give you a punch right back.
I did not cast that first stone. You can see for yourself.

As for the spar, welcome it. It builds character.

You say he hasn't defended his ideas properly, I disagree. I told you this several times. In fact, when it comes to "attacking your ideas", so far I have read and dismissed most of them as self-worshiping or some sort of other Individualistic philosophical position that I don't know well enough to make a response to.
You say all of this from a self-admitted position of not knowing much about philosophy or philosophical positions. So, without having the background info and knowledge, you've (in your mind) already decided to both evaluate and dismiss a philosophical position (inaccurately, btw, but you can study the details for yourself), AND come to the conclusion that the position presented (by OP) is adequately defended.

JFL

You're clowning yourself bro.

My philosophy is also not up to the mark compared to you and K9. What ideas have you put forth besides the ones I've named in general?
What exactly have you named so far?

True you are allowed to give your feedback. So I asked you "WHY DID YOU COME TO SHOOT DOWN HIS IDEA", that's too in a rude behavior? Did he tag you in the OP? No, he did not.
Actually, yes, he did in fact. In the first thread (listed under previous threads) he specifically tagged me and said,
This thread is meant to start a debate

And so I did. I was one of the few to give his ideas any real pushback. After doing so for a while where he hand-waived away critical challenges to his main argument, he threw his hands in the air and behaved petulantly. In his defence he did grow up and we continued on, but then he started hand-waiving again even more challenges and ignored them. That's when I had enough of OP's bullshit. But you're free to keep eating it, if you like.

All of this is besides the point. It's posted on a public forum for everyone to read, respond to, and critique. If you want to cloister yourself and feel good about your ideas in your personal echo chamber, then you make it a private chat with like-minded people.

You clowned yourself again bro.

So again, before attempting to school me in argument and behavior, check some of your own behaviors first Sir. Thank you!
I'm not surprised why you were easily convinced. Sounds like schooling is exactly what you need.

You say all of this from a self-admitted position of not knowing much about philosophy or philosophical positions. So, without having the background info and knowledge, you've (in your mind) already decided to both evaluate and dismiss a philosophical position (inaccurately, btw, but you can study the details for yourself), AND come to the conclusion that the position presented (by OP) is adequately defended.

And so I did. I was one of the few to give his ideas any real pushback. After doing so for a while where he hand-waived away critical challenges to his main argument, he threw his hands in the air and behaved petulantly. In his defence he did grow up and we continued on, but then he started hand-waiving again even more challenges and ignored them. That's when I had enough of OP's bullshit. But you're free to keep eating it, if you like.

I actually have a master's degree in Philosophy from Columbia University and I must say that I am impressed by the philosophy of "Antarctic". The guy who wrote this book obviously knows what he is talking about. In particular, the imaginary dialogues between Wittgenstein and Turing are very believable.

I also read the thread where you debated about "Truth vs. Trust" with @K9Otaku.

I had the impression throughout that it was YOU who failed to answer K9's arguments. You kept repeating "Truth, Science, Truth, Science" even though K9 was correctly quoting Kuhn and Science anthropologists like Bruno Latour as mounting a serious challenge against the idea that Science is about truth. You also did not meaningfully respond to the idea that truth is a supernatural concept (like in Platonism). It is undeniable that truth is always linked to some kind of metaphysics (except in the "deflationary theory of truth" which is in fact a denial of truth). Metaphysics is perilously close to the supernatural. This has been accepted by nearly all Western philosophers since the early 20th century, especially in the analytic tradition.

One doesn't need to have memorized too much philosophy to understand examples of Trust vs. Truth or Credit Masturbation. One just needs to read and discuss and compare it with his own life experiences and then, one must be mature enough to accept what makes sense according to these experiences.

So far you have offered very little of value to the proposals made except to be arrogant and shoot everything down. You're of course welcome to do this, and I am of course welcome to call you out for it.

Speaking of echo chambers you're saying the same thing over and over again. Yo[UWSL]u did cast the first stone on THIS thread did you not? [/UWSL]
OK. You were sold on it and didn't take much convincing. That's fine.

Oh no. That's never true for anyone. I took convincing and we have had several conversations in various places and across several different mediums of communication.

Last edited:
One doesn't need to have memorized too much philosophy to understand examples of Trust vs. Truth or Credit Masturbation. One just needs to read and discuss and compare it with his own life experiences and then, one must be mature enough to accept what makes sense according to these experiences.
Don't move the goalposts. We're talking about your philosophical evaluations from a position of little or no background on it, not your personal life experiences. Your life anecdotes and experiences are not arguments and philosophy.

So far you have offered very little of value to the proposals made except to be arrogant and shoot everything down. You're of course welcome to do this, and I am of course welcome to call you out for it.
It's not my job to offer value to the thing presented when I'm being asked to debate it.

When you come to someone with an idea and say you want to start a debate about it you don't expect them to help you make their idea better. That's your job. You're supposed to be the one to strengthen your own idea based on weaknesses found by receiving input (that you asked for KEK).

Speaking of echo chambers you're saying the same thing over and over again. Yo[UWSL]u did cast the first stone on THIS thread did you not?[/UWSL]
Don't play drama and politics. The comment here isn't said in isolation and you know that, so stop being disingenuous.

Oh no. That's never true for anyone. I took convincing and we have had several conversations in various places and across several different mediums of communication.
OK, sure, whatever. I'll take your word for it.

I actually have a master's degree in Philosophy from Columbia University and I must say that I am impressed by the philosophy of "Antarctic". The guy who wrote this book obviously knows what he is talking about. In particular, the imaginary dialogues between Wittgenstein and Turing are very believable.
I'll admit, I didn't read it. But since you did, what exactly is the philosophy of it?

I also read the thread where you debated about "Truth vs. Trust" with @K9Otaku.

I had the impression throughout that it was YOU who failed to answer K9's arguments. You kept repeating "Truth, Science, Truth, Science" even though K9 was correctly quoting Kuhn and Science anthropologists like Bruno Latour as mounting a serious challenge against the idea that Science is about truth.
This was already covered. OP didn't make his own argument wrt this. He merely presented Kuhn et al.'s criticisms of the scientific method as a means of attaining (or getting close to) truth, by first positing truth as some unreachable, metaphysical ideal when I had already explained how some simple truths (e.g., physical facts about world) are reachable via this same method and therefore it has validity (as a means) in truth-seeking.

OP's sub-argument there was basically, "Kuhn and others think *this* about science, therefore we can discard science as a means to reach truth." Then he tries to go from this to, "lemme introduce 'trust' in place of science." He didn't adequately discard science's validity as a method for truth-seeking, thus his alternative paradigm was not justified to take its place.

You also did not meaningfully respond to the idea that truth is a supernatural concept (like in Platonism).
What's your idea of "meaningful"?

It is undeniable that truth is always linked to some kind of metaphysics (except in the "deflationary theory of truth" which is in fact a denial of truth). Metaphysics is perilously close to the supernatural. This has been accepted by nearly all Western philosophers since the early 20th century, especially in the analytic tradition.
How is it "undeniable"? "Truth" doesn't need to be some supernatural ideal. Why is there such an insistence on that it must? It's only "perlilously close" to the supernatural because people like to leave it there and get uncomfortable when there are efforts made to decouple it from metaphysics.

Here's a simple example that you may have thought of or come across. You and I both see the color red (assuming that you have no eye problems that would prevent it), but there is a truth about red. That truth is that red is light at the wavelength of 650 nm. This is always true, regardless of whether or not either of us are colorblind. But if we were born colorblind the truth of red may as well be supernatural fiction. Now you could learn that in school and take the truth of that for granted, but it would seem like metaphysics to you all the same. Call it whatever you want and assign your label of choice, but the truth about something we call and experience as "red" exists out in reality and the truth of it is attainable. This means that you must concede that, even with a metaphysical treatment of truth, there is some subset of that truth that is attainable (in this case using the scientific method), therefore the claim that science can't help us reach truth (or a subset of it) is false.

I'll admit, I didn't read it. But since you did, what exactly is the philosophy of it?
It is a philosophical novel. A little bit like Voltaire's Candide. It is hard to summarize. It deals with philosophy of religion, philosophy of history and also anthropology and ethnology.

It's central tenet, I think, is the equivalence between desire and trust and also between trust and authority. The latter is bifurcated into Authority-S (Sexual, i.e. tyranny) and Authority-L (linguistic, i.e. meritocracy). This fits quite well with the classic Incel observations about Chads and Stacies and the realization that if you can't get laid, you aren't automatically wrong about everything..

This was already covered. OP didn't make his own argument wrt this. He merely presented Kuhn et al.'s criticisms of the scientific method as a means of attaining (or getting close to) truth, by first positing truth as some unreachable, metaphysical ideal when I had already explained how some simple truths (e.g., physical facts about world) are reachable via this same method and therefore it has validity (as a means) in truth-seeking.
I think he also quoted the Brain in a Vat thought experiment. That plus Kuhn is enough to mount a very strong challenge against the idea that Science is "getting close" to truth. Post WWII epistemology has largely abandoned the idea that Science deals in truth.

The idea of Science "getting ever closer to truth" is an Hegelian idea. It has very few adherents nowadays, especially after Wittgenstein, Kuhn and the fact that both their points of view have been largely validated in the 70s and 80s by anthropologists of science like Bruno Latour and Steve Wolgar. What K9 is saying is not at all far fetched, by the standards of contemporary philosophy. This kind of depiction of science as a social construct in which "truth" is not even mentioned is pretty standard fare.

OP's sub-argument there was basically, "Kuhn and others think *this* about science, therefore we can discard science as a means to reach truth."
Again, this a fairly widely accepted argument.

Then he tries to go from this to, "lemme introduce 'trust' in place of science."
He did not say that. He said that science is based on Trust. This is pretty much what Kuhnian epistemology says too. Science is not discarded. It is reframed as a social construct. Doing so does not diminish Sciences successes, which are obvious to all. It just displaces its foundation away from metaphysical truth and into the social. The social is based on trust. This is undeniable.

He didn't adequately discard science's validity as a method for truth-seeking, thus his alternative paradigm was not justified to take its place.
Again. Few epistemologists today would claim that science is a means to attain "truth". This view is universally considered obsolete and simplistic. Yet that does not impugn science's validity. As far as I can tell, K9 never said that science is not valid.

What's your idea of "meaningful"?
Well, it seems to me that you said something like "truth is not supernatural, stop bothering me with that". The problem is that K9 has a point. There was a very strong current away from Metaphysics in 20th century philosophy and the reason for this was that many philosophers had realized that Metaphysics is always based on some kind of woo-woo. They then tried to replace Metaphysics with Logic. But that failed too. Logicism came to be regarded as also some kind of belief in magic. It is hard to dispute that among all sorts of XXth and XXIst century philosophers, there is a malaise around "truth". That is why so many "theories of truth" have sprung up; none of which has received widespread acceptance. As a result, the concept of "truth' is in a sort of limbo. Few philosophers are prepared to discard it entirely but all are embarrassed by the supernatural baggage it carries since Plato and that they have never really managed to get rid of.

K9's attack on truth as an otherworldly concept is based on solid ground. If you want to parry this attack, you better come up with some pretty strong arguments. Brushing it aside won't do.

How is it "undeniable"? "Truth" doesn't need to be some supernatural ideal. Why is there such an insistence on that it must?
Because the only convincing "theory of truth" is the correspondence theory of truth (other such theories all rely on wordplay sleight of hand). The coherence theory says that truth is an attribute of a statement (or some intentional state) that is in correspondence with reality. "Reality" is always a metaphysical concept. Because of the "brain in a vat" objection, one always has to define it independently of sense perception. As soon as you cross that line, you are in the realm of theology, just like Plato was.

It's only "perlilously close" to the supernatural because people like to leave it there and get uncomfortable when there are efforts made to decouple it from metaphysics.
These efforts have never been successful. Neither Logic (coherence theory of truth) nor Hegelianism (ever closer approximation) have managed to really overcome the Kantian obstacle. We will never know the "things in themselves". Truth is the skeleton in the closet of Philosophy. No one really believes in it even though most academic philosophers are loath to admit it. K9 and the author of Antarctica are just cutting the Gordian knot that modern philosophy has lost the courage to tackle.

Here's a simple example that you may have thought of or come across. You and I both see the color red (assuming that you have no eye problems that would prevent it), but there is a truth about red. That truth is that red is light at the wavelength of 650 nm.
This is a naive understanding of science. Quantum mechanics says that light is "both a particle and a wave" (and thus has a "wavelength") but even Quantum physicists admit that thinking of it that way is probably nonsense. What they mean, is that they have no idea of what "light" actually is. They just reckon that if you assume that light can be treated as a periodic phenomenon and you do measurements in a certain way, you will obtain a number that you will call a "wavelength". If you plug this number into the proper equations, you will obtain experimental predictions which, so far, are well corroborated. There is no "truth" here, just a high degree of confidence. All scientists admit this.

This is always true, regardless of whether or not either of us are colorblind. But if we were born colorblind the truth of red may as well be supernatural fiction. Now you could learn that in school and take the truth of that for granted, but it would seem like metaphysics to you all the same. Call it whatever you want and assign your label of choice, but the truth about something we call and experience as "red" exists out in reality and the truth of it is attainable.
Again, even physicists admit that they have no idea about what "reality" is. They will never claim that any physical theory is "the truth" about "reality".

This means that you must concede that, even with a metaphysical treatment of truth, there is some subset of that truth that is attainable (in this case using the scientific method), therefore the claim that science can't help us reach truth (or a subset of it) is false.
Your claim to have given "a metaphysical treatment of truth" rests on your use of colorblindness. You are asserting that there are people who are color blind and others which are not. By doing so, you are implying that those whose senses work properly can perceive the truth. But this is paradoxical because, in your example, you mention that redness correspond to a 650nm wavelength. Yet nobody can perceive that. Nobody can perceive the wavelength of light with his senses alone. We are all "colorblind" to the wavelength of light. In fact, as the brain in a vat objection shows, we are colorblind about everything. We do not even know if our eyeballs exist (a brain in a vat has no eyeballs), or if any light is being shone in our direction (it might be an electrical signal directly input into our brain).

By contrasting colorblindness with normal color vision, you are creating a dichotomy which parallels that which Plato makes between the natural man, who trusts his imperfect senses (the colorblind person in your example) and the philosopher who can perceive the truth through his superior intellect (the person with normal color vision). Again, we are back to the supernatural and of course to the perennial secret motivation of all metaphysics, i.e. the attempt to substantiate the ontological superiority of the philosopher over other men. The fact remains that no man can perceive "truth" through his senses because sense perception is always partial and of limited trustworthiness (the brain in a vat being the extreme case, for the sake of clarity). If you insist on being able to perceive the truth, you must add something to the senses, something super-sensory, hence something supernatural.

Don't move the goalposts. We're talking about your philosophical evaluations from a position of little or no background on it, not your personal life experiences. Your life anecdotes and experiences are not arguments and philosophy.

This statement proves you don't understand the argument that @K9Otaku is explaining which he's taken from the book and it's author !

If you believe in "Truth" as an absolute concept and whatever someone labels as "Science" as your blind guide in today's times, then you will be oblivious to the reality of how things are actually (or today since things have gone to shit) and should actually be working around you! I don't need to drop a bunch of names of philosophical dead people to be able to tell you that what the author is trying to say about Trust vs Truth plays out the way he explains; I can use my real life experiences to connect with this notion.

So now I'll name drop and say: It seems like Wittgenstein was trying to also say that Trust is more active and important than "Truth". Nobody listens to this because it doesn't sound as sexy as saying "Truth Truth Truth" all the time like everyone does today.

My personal experiences is exactly what I go off of to decide whether a philosopher makes sense. And you have those same experiences too, or else you wouldn't be on this Forum.

I'm not making "philosophical evaluations" so much as I am just applying what the theoretician says to see if it matches my many real life interactions and experiences because it then gives us a verbal framework within which to discuss all of these phenomena in!

If you can't understand that^^^ simple shit then who gives a bloody damn how much philosophical posturing you can do quoting some useless academics?

Last edited:
It is a philosophical novel. A little bit like Voltaire's Candide. It is hard to summarize. It deals with philosophy of religion, philosophy of history and also anthropology and ethnology.

It's central tenet, I think, is the equivalence between desire and trust and also between trust and authority. The latter is bifurcated into Authority-S (Sexual, i.e. tyranny) and Authority-L (linguistic, i.e. meritocracy). This fits quite well with the classic Incel observations about Chads and Stacies and the realization that if you can't get laid, you aren't automatically wrong about everything..
I see. Sounds like it might be worth reading.

I think he also quoted the Brain in a Vat thought experiment. That plus Kuhn is enough to mount a very strong challenge against the idea that Science is "getting close" to truth. Post WWII epistemology has largely abandoned the idea that Science deals in truth.
The problem I have with Kuhn is that he discards scientific truth on the basis of consensus. While it's true that consensus exists in the scientific community in some places e.g., recommended daily nutrition, the results of the method (conducted properly) isn't a matter of consensus. Something isn't true in science because a council or committee agrees upon it; it's true because that's the observation from experiment (which should be repeatable).

The idea of Science "getting ever closer to truth" is an Hegelian idea. It has very few adherents nowadays, especially after Wittgenstein, Kuhn and the fact that both their points of view have been largely validated in the 70s and 80s by anthropologists of science like Bruno Latour and Steve Wolgar. What K9 is saying is not at all far fetched, by the standards of contemporary philosophy. This kind of depiction of science as a social construct in which "truth" is not even mentioned is pretty standard fare.
So then, ironically, it's consensus and what's new and fashionable that has replaced the Hegelian perspective, which hasn't really been invalidated.

Again, this a fairly widely accepted argument.
Sure, but you could say I'm not a Kuhnian in that sense. OP's rehashing of Kuhn's position that because science can't reach "the truth" (more metaphysical mysticism) it has no (or limited) utility in truth-finding is not something I'm on board with. First, I contend with the idea that there even is a metaphysical "the truth." And second, even granting that there is such a thing, our best current tool to inch towards it (regardless of whether or not we can cross the subjective-objective barrier and overcome the limitation of our sense perception) is science.

Kuhn just throws that all out, like a painter who tears apart his freshly painted piece because it's not perfect.

He did not say that. He said that science is based on Trust. This is pretty much what Kuhnian epistemology says too.
You're right, he did. Thanks for reminding me. If that is what Kuhn explicitly argues for (and it's not something that people read into him), then I think that this is Kuhn's biggest mistake.

To clarify, when I say "science" I mean the scientific method--the way science is done, not the body (the intelligentsia and public institution) understood by the general public. You can distrust a scientist (because of their competence level, history etc.) and how did they did science, but it makes no sense to say you distrust the scientific method.

Science is not discarded. It is reframed as a social construct. Doing so does not diminish Sciences successes, which are obvious to all. It just displaces its foundation away from metaphysical truth and into the social. The social is based on trust. This is undeniable.
This is pure nonsense. How is it, then, that a "social construct" (the same way new genders are created, btw--just made up on the spot) is able to describe the physical world and its phenomena so well?

Trying to relegate science to "social construct" is squaring a circle just so the argument fits. It's only meaningful in the loosest sense, since humans are social creatures and science can be a social activity (to mean "done in groups," not in the colloquial sense of a leisure activity).

Again. Few epistemologists today would claim that science is a means to attain "truth". This view is universally considered obsolete and simplistic. Yet that does not impugn science's validity. As far as I can tell, K9 never said that science is not valid.
It's only simplistic of you mystify truth. Then you can easily discard the notion altogether. Truth is made out to be this unknowable, mystical, unobtainable thing in a similar category to God, and thus promptly shuffled away and compartmentalized.

Well, it seems to me that you said something like "truth is not supernatural, stop bothering me with that". The problem is that K9 has a point. There was a very strong current away from Metaphysics in 20th century philosophy and the reason for this was that many philosophers had realized that Metaphysics is always based on some kind of woo-woo. They then tried to replace Metaphysics with Logic. But that failed too. Logicism came to be regarded as also some kind of belief in magic. It is hard to dispute that among all sorts of XXth and XXIst century philosophers, there is a malaise around "truth". That is why so many "theories of truth" have sprung up; none of which has received widespread acceptance. As a result, the concept of "truth' is in a sort of limbo. Few philosophers are prepared to discard it entirely but all are embarrassed by the supernatural baggage it carries since Plato and that they have never really managed to get rid of.
Why is there this need to have a widespread acceptance of something? Is philosophy also now done by consensus, the same way that Kuhn critiqued science for?

If you suppose that two points are equally valid and you poll a group, are you simply going to take the majority vote to declare as dominant and sideline the alternative? I thought philosophy is supposed to be immune from popularity contests. That's a shame.

K9's attack on truth as an otherworldly concept is based on solid ground. If you want to parry this attack, you better come up with some pretty strong arguments. Brushing it aside won't do.
But it's a trivial attack is what I'm getting at. It's propped up as supernatural and thus easily knocked down.

You've acknowledged just previously that truth has supernatural baggage attached to it. Why is everybody leaving it there in the domain of fairies, monsters, and gods?

Just fucking let it go. You're all claiming to see an invisible unicorn in the room and claiming that you can't move around because it's blocking your path. You're creating a problem for yourselves, whereas I don't see a problem and wonder why is there such a hangup about it. Meanwhile, some people like OP find it an easy target to use to introduce his ideas.

Because the only convincing "theory of truth" is the correspondence theory of truth (other such theories all rely on wordplay sleight of hand). The coherence theory says that truth is an attribute of a statement (or some intentional state) that is in correspondence with reality. "Reality" is always a metaphysical concept. Because of the "brain in a vat" objection, one always has to define it independently of sense perception. As soon as you cross that line, you are in the realm of theology, just like Plato was.
Reality doesn't need to be a metaphysical concept. Reality can be entirely physical, thus reachable and knowable, therefore not a "concept" at all in a strict sense. That's the whole crux of this.

As for reality being independent of sense perception, that is precisely what it is. THAT is reality--that which is independent of sense perception. It's not "true" or "false," it just IS. (As an aside, the black pill is just a synonym for reality.) Statements about reality are what's true or false. In trying to seek truth we're seeking propositions about reality--things that just are.

You could abstract this a bit and say: is = true, is not = false. Then you may add statements (that would be true or false) on top of this which may or may not map to proposotions about reality. We could use our senses for this, but more often than not that's insufficient.

The brain in a vat argument, fundamentally, is an argument against sense perception, not against reality itself (physical, or metaphysical). Assuming that you are a brain in a vat (in the matrix) already presupposes the existence of some objective reality. It just claims that it's unreachable through the senses.

Wouldn't you know it, we do exactly this all of the time. We see and measure things outside of our perceptions. We usually just see them as readings on instruments.

These efforts have never been successful. Neither Logic (coherence theory of truth) nor Hegelianism (ever closer approximation) have managed to really overcome the Kantian obstacle. We will never know the "things in themselves". Truth is the skeleton in the closet of Philosophy. No one really believes in it even though most academic philosophers are loath to admit it. K9 and the author of Antarctica are just cutting the Gordian knot that modern philosophy has lost the courage to tackle.
So, basically, just pretend a problem doesn't exist and ignore it?

OP has merely chosen to cut one Gordian knot over another. I've cut the one that says truth isn't metaphysical and thus possible to obtain. He's cut the opposite one that says truth is unobtainable because it's supranatural (I warned him very early on that our views were irreconcilable and that debate wouldn't be fruitful, but I wanted to see what he had to say).

Why is what he's doing totally fine, but when I do the same thing I can't do it?

This is a naive understanding of science. Quantum mechanics says that light is "both a particle and a wave" (and thus has a "wavelength") but even Quantum physicists admit that thinking of it that way is probably nonsense. What they mean, is that they have no idea of what "light" actually is. They just reckon that if you assume that light can be treated as a periodic phenomenon and you do measurements in a certain way, you will obtain a number that you will call a "wavelength". If you plug this number into the proper equations, you will obtain experimental predictions which, so far, are well corroborated. There is no "truth" here, just a high degree of confidence. All scientists admit this.
That's not where I was going with that. You've taken my example for a wild ride.

In the case of what you're saying a truth about light would be that it's both a particle and a wave.

Again, even physicists admit that they have no idea about what "reality" is. They will never claim that any physical theory is "the truth" about "reality".
We currently have an incomplete picture, definitely, but there most certainly is a complete picture waiting to be seen. That's the point.

Your claim to have given "a metaphysical treatment of truth" rests on your use of colorblindness. You are asserting that there are people who are color blind and others which are not. By doing so, you are implying that those whose senses work properly can perceive the truth.
No, that's not what I said at all. I said that there exists a truth that light can have such a wavelength. That truth is then perceived through our visual sense and we understand it as a thing we call "color" and give it the label "red."

The point was that the truth about red--that is to say, some thing in reality that just IS--is in fact accessible to us, and thus the brain in a vat argument isn't a problem to contend with any longer.

Last edited:
I see. Sounds like it might be worth reading.
I did enjoy it quite a lot. The guy who wrote this must be a kind of Renaissance man because he is well versed in domains that are normally miles apart in contemporary Academia. It is also quite entertaining. The novel form softens the dryness of purely theoretical argument.

The problem I have with Kuhn is that he discards scientific truth on the basis of consensus.
I do not think it is fair to say that Kuhn "discarded" truth. He just observed that the scientists of his day had abandoned any claim to truth. When Kuhn wrote, Quantum Mechanics was in its heyday and theories could spring up and be discarded in a matter of years, if not months. In such a context, it is Niels Bohr worldview that had clearly triumphed over Einstein's. Gone were the days when physicists could claim that they had an intuition of reality. They just tweaked mathematical models of increasing complexity (hence obscurity) and selected the version that fit the experimental curves the best.

Kuhn did not do much more than capture this new mood. He just brought the awareness that scientists no longer thought in terms of "reality" or "truth" to a wider audience. In fact Bohr had been saying these things since the 1930s but they were not well known outside Physics circles. Just as importantly, Kuhn is not alone. The "anthropology of science" movement of the 1970s and 80s is less well known than he his but it largely confirmed his insights based on painstaking ethnological fieldwork (guys sitting with paper clips inside labs for months and writing down everything scientists said to each other).

Sure, but you could say I'm not a Kuhnian in that sense. OP's rehashing of Kuhn's position that because science can't reach "the truth" (more metaphysical mysticism) it has no (or limited) utility in truth-finding is not something I'm on board with.
That is ok of course but you can't say that K9's position is baseless. On the contrary, It rests on very solid ground indeed. Kuhnian epistemology is still the gold standard of the philosophy of science.

To clarify, when I say "science" I mean the scientific method--the way science is done, not the body (the intelligentsia and public institution) understood by the general public. You can distrust a scientist (because of their competence level, history etc.) and how did they did science, but it makes no sense to say you distrust the scientific method.
No one (neither K9 nor Kuhn) ever said they distrust the scientific method. On the contrary, they both argue that trust-building is at the heart of it. This is how Kuhn portrays this method:
  1. At first, a theoretician, irked by some minor inconsistencies proposes a new theory of subject X. At first, the theory is marginal. Few people believe in it because the established theory about X seems to give correct predictions in most known cases.
  2. Then new experimental results accumulate in which the inconsistencies noted in one become more and more frequent. The established theory about X is in trouble.
  3. An increasing number of experimenters, alarmed by the problematic results start to focus on the inconsistencies and design experiments specifically designed to determine if they are experimental errors or something more serious.
  4. In a flurry of activity, new experiments are conducted. Their results definitely show that there is a problem with the established theory about X. Furthermore, some experimenters start to claim that their results match the marginal new theory proposed in 1. This this is the moment of "crisis" described by Kuhn.
  5. A mass of new experimental results comes in, confirming that the new theory of X is better than the old one. A new consensus forms around this new theory.
Step 2 is a form of loss of trust. The old theory of X is becoming bankrupt. Experimenters are losing faith in it. In 3. and 4, it is the opposite process: trust buildup. The new theory of X is earning trust among experimenters.

The fact that this process is messy and "social" and has to rely on trust is because experimental results are never clear cut. They are always "up to the n-th decimal" or "within a certain interval of confidence". That is why nobody noticed that Newtonian Mechanics was "wrong" for such a long time. The differences with Relativity was buried well beyond the accuracy of the measurements, given the speeds and masses at which the experiments were usually conducted. As a result deciding whether a certain measurement fits with the theory involves a certain amount of discretion on the part of those involved. Outlying values can always be dismissed as "measurement errors". Also, the relative competence of experimenters, and the way these differences are perceived, plays a big part. Some experimenters are better at avoiding "measurement errors" than others, but no one knows exactly to what extent. You can only guess and such guesses are a matter of trust.

All this insight into the actual working of the scientific method, keeping in mind that all this is well corroborated by ethnological observation, gives a strong support to the idea that the scientific method itself owes more to trust than to truth.

This is pure nonsense. How is it, then, that a "social construct" (the same way new genders are created, btw--just made up on the spot) is able to describe the physical world and its phenomena so well?
"pure nonsense"? I think you should refrain from such outbursts. "Social constructs" are not all bad. It is not because new genders are bad social constructs that all are. It seems to me that when humans cooperate it is necessarily through some kind of social construct. To begin with, language itself is a social construct. Or, as Wittgenstein would, it is a language-game, with rules that have been collectively elaborated over time. Every human activity involves myriads of such language-games, i.e. social constructs. Why would science be an exception?

You can think of science as a form of high-performance craftsmanship and then there is no problem in explaining why it can make predictions about the physical world. Humans have evolved in the physical world and are thus good at making use of it. "Making use of" and "making predictions about" is one and the same thing. Scientific theories are just high-performance cooking recipes; "If you do X, Y and Z, then you will get A, B and C" Humans have been doing such things since they started using tools and talking about it.

Trying to relegate science to "social construct" is squaring a circle just so the argument fits. It's only meaningful in the loosest sense, since humans are social creatures and science can be a social activity (to mean "done in groups," not in the colloquial sense of a leisure activity).
On the contrary, considering science as part of normal human social interaction seems to me the most natural prima facie position. Making science something exceptional seems counter-intuitive to me. The important question here is why you are tempted to find such scientific exceptionalism more natural. There is a hidden assumption here that you are not making explicit (maybe involuntarily).

It's only simplistic of you mystify truth. Then you can easily discard the notion altogether. Truth is made out to be this unknowable, mystical, unobtainable thing in a similar category to God, and thus promptly shuffled away and compartmentalized.

Why is there this need to have a widespread acceptance of something? Is philosophy also now done by consensus, the same way that Kuhn critiqued science for?

If you suppose that two points are equally valid and you poll a group, are you simply going to take the majority vote to declare as dominant and sideline the alternative? I thought philosophy is supposed to be immune from popularity contests. That's a shame.
Philosophy is definitely not immune from human opinion. It is a part of the humanities. There are degrees of acceptance, degrees of conviction that can indeed be assessed through polls. Again, I have the impression that you would like to have some magic way to get out of the uncertainty. I am not aware of any. That is the human condition. We just don't know what is going on and so we make guesses of varying credibility. Philosophy is like that just as everything else in life.

But it's a trivial attack is what I'm getting at.
It is not a trivial attack at all. Again, as I said earlier, the whole of Western philosophy moved away from Metaphysics during the XXth century precisely because most philosophers had realized that metaphysics was just a bunch of supernatural nonsense. K9 attack on truth as a supernatural belief is in keeping with that position and very well supported by its major works, like those of Wittgenstein and his students, for example. Quine's "web of beliefs" is another.

It's propped up as supernatural and thus easily knocked down.
If it is so "easy" maybe it is just warranted.

You've acknowledged just previously that truth has supernatural baggage attached to it. Why is everybody leaving it there in the domain of fairies, monsters, and gods?
Because no one has succeeded in rescuing it from that swamp. Again, it is not for lack of trying.

Just fucking let it go.
Outburst again. Please don't do that

You're all claiming to see an invisible unicorn in the room and claiming that you can't move around because it's blocking your path. You're creating a problem for yourselves, whereas I don't see a problem and wonder why is there such a hangup about it. Meanwhile, some people like OP find it an easy target to use to introduce his ideas.
Maybe these ideas are correct. I have the strange impression that you are almost envious of him ... that you accuse him of "cheating" somehow.

Reality doesn't need to be a metaphysical concept. Reality can be entirely physical,
Realism, Physicalism, ... all these are metaphysical positions (positions about the nature of reality). Once again, Plato's doctrine is called "Platonic realism" for a reason. Whether you consider ultimate reality to be "ideas" or "physical matter" makes no difference in that respect. Whatever option you choose, it is still a metaphysical option.

thus reachable and knowable, therefore not a "concept" at all in a strict sense. That's the whole crux of this.
Everything we talk or think about is a concept by definition. How can "reality" not be a "concept"?

As for reality being independent of sense perception, that is precisely what it is. THAT is reality--that which is independent of sense perception.
How can you not realize that by claiming that something is "independent of sense perception" you are placing that thing in a supernatural realm? It seems to me that there is a consensus that anything that cannot be checked with the senses is woo-woo. So our grasp of "reality" must go through the channel of the senses somehow (maybe indirectly through instruments). But then it is subject to the frailties of the senses (as they are radically exposed by the brain in a vat objection).

This is pretty much Kant's reasoning when he denies our capacity to "know things in themselves". You seem to be trained in philosophy. I don't understand why you find this so difficult to consider, at least as a potentially valid argument.

The brain in a vat argument, fundamentally, is an argument against sense perception, not against reality itself
It is an argument against our capacity to know reality. Of course there is "something" out there for the brain in a vat to exist but the brain in the vat will never know what it is and yet its experiences will be indistinguishable from ours. Like Kant's "ding an sich" argument, it very strongly supports the position that the nature of reality (and thus our capacity to formulate true statements about it) will always elude us.

Assuming that you are a brain in a vat (in the matrix) already presupposes the existence of some objective reality. It just claims that it's unreachable through the senses.
If it is "unreachable through the senses", then it is unreachable full stop, unless you believe in super-sensory woo-woo (like Plato does).

We see and measure things outside of our perceptions. We usually just see them as readings on instruments.
Instruments are just extensions of our senses. They are not different from them. An electron microscope can see smaller things than our naked eye can. Ok, so now we have a better eye. But our electron microscope does not see reality more than our senses do. If we are a brain in a vat, we will use a simulated electron microscope and we will make the same error about the situation we are in as with our eyes.

So, basically, just pretend a problem doesn't exist and ignore it?
On the contrary, it seems to me that placing trust at the center solves the problem of truth.

Abandoning a superstition is not a loss, it is a progress.

Why is what he's doing totally fine, but when I do the same thing I can't do it?
YOU said that what K9 was doing was not fine. I am not saying that you cannot defend the position that science is about truth but K9 defending the position that it is actually about trust is ok too. As I made it clear already, I am leaning in his direction.

In the case of what you're saying a truth about light would be that it's both a particle and a wave.
It is anything but. This is a theoretical assumption that can be revised at any time.

We currently have an incomplete picture, definitely, but there most certainly is a complete picture waiting to be seen.
Not if you believe Kant. Not knowing the "ding an sich" means that the complete picture will never be seen.

No, that's not what I said at all. I said that there exists a truth that light can have such a wavelength. That truth is then perceived through our visual sense and we understand it as a thing we call "color" and give it the label "red."

The point was that the truth about red--that is to say, some thing in reality that just IS--is in fact accessible to us, and thus the brain in a vat argument isn't a problem to contend with any longer.
We don't know what reality hides behind redness. We once thought it was some wave in Ether, then that it was small particles hitting our retina, now it is "both a particle and a wave" but tomorrow it could be a string wriggling in 18-dimensional space and the day after that something completely different.

It seems to be a safe bet to assume that none of these constructs corresponds to "reality". They are just theoretical metaphors that help us do ever more accurate calculations, i.e. predictive craftsmanship. That is all.

Stop with this bullshit. Your pushing this pretty aggressively. Who are you shilling for?
Didn't read cuz you defend foids.
No, I don't trust you or your motives. You've spouted blue pill nonsense before and are a female nature apologist. I've already expressed why this "order" is unnecessary, even before you did that. You're trying to give form to something formless. You're trying to build a superfluous construct. For what true purpose, I'm not sure. Perhaps to corral and identity social dissidents and attempt to ideologically pacify them. Maybe to profile us easier.

What you're trying to do here is classic. It's been played out countless times in many different groups and subcultures.
Thanks for reminding me why I have OP on my list

I did enjoy it quite a lot. The guy who wrote this must be a kind of Renaissance man because he is well versed in domains that are normally miles apart in contemporary Academia. It is also quite entertaining. The novel form softens the dryness of purely theoretical argument.

I do not think it is fair to say that Kuhn "discarded" truth. He just observed that the scientists of his day had abandoned any claim to truth. When Kuhn wrote, Quantum Mechanics was in its heyday and theories could spring up and be discarded in a matter of years, if not months. In such a context, it is Niels Bohr worldview that had clearly triumphed over Einstein's. Gone were the days when physicists could claim that they had an intuition of reality. They just tweaked mathematical models of increasing complexity (hence obscurity) and selected the version that fit the experimental curves the best.

Kuhn did not do much more than capture this new mood. He just brought the awareness that scientists no longer thought in terms of "reality" or "truth" to a wider audience. In fact Bohr had been saying these things since the 1930s but they were not well known outside Physics circles. Just as importantly, Kuhn is not alone. The "anthropology of science" movement of the 1970s and 80s is less well known than he his but it largely confirmed his insights based on painstaking ethnological fieldwork (guys sitting with paper clips inside labs for months and writing down everything scientists said to each other).

That is ok of course but you can't say that K9's position is baseless. On the contrary, It rests on very solid ground indeed. Kuhnian epistemology is still the gold standard of the philosophy of science.

No one (neither K9 nor Kuhn) ever said they distrust the scientific method. On the contrary, they both argue that trust-building is at the heart of it. This is how Kuhn portrays this method:
  1. At first, a theoretician, irked by some minor inconsistencies proposes a new theory of subject X. At first, the theory is marginal. Few people believe in it because the established theory about X seems to give correct predictions in most known cases.
  2. Then new experimental results accumulate in which the inconsistencies noted in one become more and more frequent. The established theory about X is in trouble.
  3. An increasing number of experimenters, alarmed by the problematic results start to focus on the inconsistencies and design experiments specifically designed to determine if they are experimental errors or something more serious.
  4. In a flurry of activity, new experiments are conducted. Their results definitely show that there is a problem with the established theory about X. Furthermore, some experimenters start to claim that their results match the marginal new theory proposed in 1. This this is the moment of "crisis" described by Kuhn.
  5. A mass of new experimental results comes in, confirming that the new theory of X is better than the old one. A new consensus forms around this new theory.
Step 2 is a form of loss of trust. The old theory of X is becoming bankrupt. Experimenters are losing faith in it. In 3. and 4, it is the opposite process: trust buildup. The new theory of X is earning trust among experimenters.

The fact that this process is messy and "social" and has to rely on trust is because experimental results are never clear cut. They are always "up to the n-th decimal" or "within a certain interval of confidence". That is why nobody noticed that Newtonian Mechanics was "wrong" for such a long time. The differences with Relativity was buried well beyond the accuracy of the measurements, given the speeds and masses at which the experiments were usually conducted. As a result deciding whether a certain measurement fits with the theory involves a certain amount of discretion on the part of those involved. Outlying values can always be dismissed as "measurement errors". Also, the relative competence of experimenters, and the way these differences are perceived, plays a big part. Some experimenters are better at avoiding "measurement errors" than others, but no one knows exactly to what extent. You can only guess and such guesses are a matter of trust.

All this insight into the actual working of the scientific method, keeping in mind that all this is well corroborated by ethnological observation, gives a strong support to the idea that the scientific method itself owes more to trust than to truth.

"pure nonsense"? I think you should refrain from such outbursts. "Social constructs" are not all bad. It is not because new genders are bad social constructs that all are. It seems to me that when humans cooperate it is necessarily through some kind of social construct. To begin with, language itself is a social construct. Or, as Wittgenstein would, it is a language-game, with rules that have been collectively elaborated over time. Every human activity involves myriads of such language-games, i.e. social constructs. Why would science be an exception?

You can think of science as a form of high-performance craftsmanship and then there is no problem in explaining why it can make predictions about the physical world. Humans have evolved in the physical world and are thus good at making use of it. "Making use of" and "making predictions about" is one and the same thing. Scientific theories are just high-performance cooking recipes; "If you do X, Y and Z, then you will get A, B and C" Humans have been doing such things since they started using tools and talking about it.

On the contrary, considering science as part of normal human social interaction seems to me the most natural prima facie position. Making science something exceptional seems counter-intuitive to me. The important question here is why you are tempted to find such scientific exceptionalism more natural. There is a hidden assumption here that you are not making explicit (maybe involuntarily).

Philosophy is definitely not immune from human opinion. It is a part of the humanities. There are degrees of acceptance, degrees of conviction that can indeed be assessed through polls. Again, I have the impression that you would like to have some magic way to get out of the uncertainty. I am not aware of any. That is the human condition. We just don't know what is going on and so we make guesses of varying credibility. Philosophy is like that just as everything else in life.

It is not a trivial attack at all. Again, as I said earlier, the whole of Western philosophy moved away from Metaphysics during the XXth century precisely because most philosophers had realized that metaphysics was just a bunch of supernatural nonsense. K9 attack on truth as a supernatural belief is in keeping with that position and very well supported by its major works, like those of Wittgenstein and his students, for example. Quine's "web of beliefs" is another.

If it is so "easy" maybe it is just warranted.

Because no one has succeeded in rescuing it from that swamp. Again, it is not for lack of trying.

Outburst again. Please don't do that

Maybe these ideas are correct. I have the strange impression that you are almost envious of him ... that you accuse him of "cheating" somehow.

Realism, Physicalism, ... all these are metaphysical positions (positions about the nature of reality). Once again, Plato's doctrine is called "Platonic realism" for a reason. Whether you consider ultimate reality to be "ideas" or "physical matter" makes no difference in that respect. Whatever option you choose, it is still a metaphysical option.

Everything we talk or think about is a concept by definition. How can "reality" not be a "concept"?

How can you not realize that by claiming that something is "independent of sense perception" you are placing that thing in a supernatural realm? It seems to me that there is a consensus that anything that cannot be checked with the senses is woo-woo. So our grasp of "reality" must go through the channel of the senses somehow (maybe indirectly through instruments). But then it is subject to the frailties of the senses (as they are radically exposed by the brain in a vat objection).

This is pretty much Kant's reasoning when he denies our capacity to "know things in themselves". You seem to be trained in philosophy. I don't understand why you find this so difficult to consider, at least as a potentially valid argument.

It is an argument against our capacity to know reality. Of course there is "something" out there for the brain in a vat to exist but the brain in the vat will never know what it is and yet its experiences will be indistinguishable from ours. Like Kant's "ding an sich" argument, it very strongly supports the position that the nature of reality (and thus our capacity to formulate true statements about it) will always elude us.

If it is "unreachable through the senses", then it is unreachable full stop, unless you believe in super-sensory woo-woo (like Plato does).

Instruments are just extensions of our senses. They are not different from them. An electron microscope can see smaller things than our naked eye can. Ok, so now we have a better eye. But our electron microscope does not see reality more than our senses do. If we are a brain in a vat, we will use a simulated electron microscope and we will make the same error about the situation we are in as with our eyes.

On the contrary, it seems to me that placing trust at the center solves the problem of truth.

Abandoning a superstition is not a loss, it is a progress.

YOU said that what K9 was doing was not fine. I am not saying that you cannot defend the position that science is about truth but K9 defending the position that it is actually about trust is ok too. As I made it clear already, I am leaning in his direction.

It is anything but. This is a theoretical assumption that can be revised at any time.

Not if you believe Kant. Not knowing the "ding an sich" means that the complete picture will never be seen.

We don't know what reality hides behind redness. We once thought it was some wave in Ether, then that it was small particles hitting our retina, now it is "both a particle and a wave" but tomorrow it could be a string wriggling in 18-dimensional space and the day after that something completely different.

It seems to be a safe bet to assume that none of these constructs corresponds to "reality". They are just theoretical metaphors that help us do ever more accurate calculations, i.e. predictive craftsmanship. That is all.
Was waiting to see how @based_meme was going to respond to that. But apparently he has given up ...

Was waiting to see how @based_meme was going to respond to that. But apparently he has given up ...
Yeeah I[UWSL] too was semi interested [/UWSL]:feelsohh:[UWSL] to see how he was going to do his careful philosophy but, maybe ghosted ?[/UWSL]