Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Blackpill [STUDY] Unattractive people are delusional and attractive people are more critical of attractiveness

Gymcelled

Gymcelled

Genetically shackled to hell
★★★★★
A nice blackpill combo on the importance of looks is available in the introduction of the study, what a great way to start

The physical attractiveness1 of a person has important implications for how this person is treated by others. Attractive people are more likely to receive help (Benson, Karabenick & Lerner, 1976) and less likely to be punished (Berkowitz & Frodi, 1979), their performance is rated more favorably (Landy & Sigall, 1974), and they are more likely to be desired as a romantic partner (Walster, Aronson, Abrahams & Rottman, 1966). Contrary to the maxim “beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” there is generally high agreement about who is attractive and who is not (for meta‐analyses, Feingold, 1992; Langlois, Kalakanis, Rubenstein, Larson, Hallam & Smoot, 2000).

People are apparently not very self aware when it comes to their looks

Given the importance of physical attractiveness for people’s daily life and high agreement in attractiveness judgments, one may assume that people are well aware of whether they are attractive or not. However, abundant evidence has shown that self‐assessed attractiveness (in the following, subjective attractiveness) and how a person is rated by others (in the following, objective attractiveness) are only moderately related.

BUT ... some people are even less self aware than others

All six studies provide compelling evidence that self‐ratings of unattractive people mostly differ from how others perceive their attractiveness. In fact, relative to ratings by strangers, all studies showed that unattractive participants considerably overestimated their attractiveness. It is remarkable that across all studies, unattractive participants reported to be above‐average (relative to the scale midpoint) and their self‐rated attractiveness was similar to how the objectively attractive participants rated their attractiveness. Moreover, unattractive participants were mostly unaware of how others rate their attractiveness. The objective attractiveness was much lower than how the unattractive participants believed to be perceived by strangers. Overall, unattractive participants judged themselves to be of about average attractiveness and they showed very little awareness that strangers do not share this view.

This explains why so many incels and low tier normies are completely in denial.
All those men who get nothing but cope with mental gymnastics all day

Now obviously they didn't test anyone from this site since we're all brutally honest with ourselves. But I think this is pretty accurate for most incels in denial and low tier normies. No wonder it's so easy for them to fall for PUA and redpill cope "advice" and self improvement

[...] unattractive participants differentiated less between attractive and unattractive stimulus persons than did attractive participants. In particular, they gave unattractive stimulus persons higher ratings than did attractive participants, whereas attractive stimulus persons were rated similarly. It thus appears that unattractive people not only perceive themselves as relatively attractive, they also rate other unattractive individuals relatively favorably.

They don't even pick up on how repulsive they are to women. Not surprising. Remember that ITcel who said "i am what you guys would call a chad", jfl

The next paragraph is fucking BRUTAL.

Although comparison choice did not have an impact on how unattractive participants rated their own attractiveness, the finding that unattractive participants selected unattractive stimulus persons with whom they would compare their attractiveness to suggests that they may have an inkling that they are less attractive than they want it to be. Given that people tend to compare themselves with those who they feel are similar (Wood, 1989), it appears that the unattractive participants realized that they had more in common with the unattractive rather than the attractive stimulus persons. Even though the self‐ratings of the unattractive participants suggest otherwise and that the unattractive participants reported to perceive themselves to be less attractive than they actually are, they seem to realize that they are less attractive than others.

This confirms it: they are DELUSIONAL but deep down they know they're unattractive. It's all just cope and mental gymnastics

In contrast, attractive participants had more insights into how attractive they actually are. If anything, they underestimated their attractiveness. It thus appears that unattractive people maintain illusory self‐perceptions of their attractiveness, whereas attractive people’s self‐views are more grounded in reality.

This reminds of all those chads and chadlites who say looks don't matter or it only plays a small role. I've even heard attractive guys imply they were average or above average "like everyone else"

Hundreds of studies have shown that people are prone to favorable self‐views. For example, people tend to make favorable comparisons to their own past selves (Wilson & Ross, 2000) and report that they will achieve more in the future compared to what they had in the past (Johnson, 2009).

@mylifeistrash you just asked recently how men can still go on despite all the pressure. It appears that most people think things will get better in the future lmao. People literally see themselves as temporarily embarrassed champions and future millionaires

Some extra paragraphs and link to the study

Other research has shown that people are likely to claim that they possess more positive qualities (e.g., being a better driver, more athletic, more intelligent) and fewer character flaws (e.g., engaging in immoral behaviors) than the average person (above‐average effect; Alicke, Klotz, Breitenbecher, Yurak & Vredenburg, 1995; Chambers & Windschitl, 2004; Logg, Haran & Moore, 2018).

This tendency to perceive oneself as being better than the average peers is particularly pronounced when it comes to traits that are highly important, whereas it is less pronounced when it comes to traits of less importance (Brown, 2012). [...] Likewise, people typically maintain unrealistic positive perceptions of their own body size (Mazzurega, Marisa, Zampini & Pavani, in press) and most people rate themselves more attractive compared to how they are rated by strangers (e.g., Murstein & Christy, 1976; Springer, Wiltfang, Kowalski et al. , 2012; Yoder, Ault & Mathews, 2017)

Whereas the effect that unattractive people overestimate their attractiveness compared to ratings by strangers could be firmly established, elucidating the exact underlying mechanisms awaits future research. The present studies tested some possible mechanisms but these appeared not to be the driving forces. Based on self‐affirmation theory (Steele, 1988), it was reasoned that if the overestimation effect has motivational roots, then affirming other aspects of the self should reduce defensive processes so that more accurate self‐perceptions result. However, both Studies 3 and 4 showed that a self‐affirmation manipulation that had successfully reduced defensive processing in previous research (Reed & Aspinwall, 1998) did not affect how unattractive participants rated their attractiveness. Hence, it appears that the wish to perceive oneself in a favorable way is not the main mechanism why unattractive people overestimate their attractiveness.

Last edited:
You're right, a lot of low-tier normies consider themselves to be temporarily embarrassed Chads. :feelskek:

No one wants to be honest with themselves and admit they're subhumans.

since they have a social life they cope they aren't that bad

I never had one and when i had chances to get friends then foids destroyed them everytime

temporarily embarrassed Chads
Remember when inceltears were unironically calling themselves that then they got roasted so hard they removed it from their description :lul: :lul: :lul:

You're right, a lot of low-tier normies consider themselves to be temporarily embarrassed Chads. :feelskek:

People love to believe they're close to being a chad. They think they're one gym membership away, one raise away, one haircut away from achieving their dream of attracting a girl who loves them

That and believing there's a magical combination of words that'll seduce the girl

I never had one and when i had chances to get friends then foids destroyed them everytime
The rejection was too apparent for you to cope like they do
Remember when inceltears were unironically calling themselves that then they got roasted so hard they removed it from their description :lul: :lul: :lul:
jfl does anyone have that pic of that out of shape soy who called himself a chad?

It's unfortunate they don't conduct these kinds of studies anymore, they would be deemed "unethical".

People love to believe they're close to being a chad. They think they're one gym membership away, one raise away, one haircut away from achieving their dream of attracting a girl who loves them

jfl does anyone have that pic of that out of shape soy who called himself a chad?

These bluepilled subsist on a diet of soy and false hope. Unbelieavable

I was definitely terrible at judging whether ppl were attractive or not b4 I watched FACEandLMS

I was definitely terrible at judging whether ppl were attractive or not b4 I watched FACEandLMS
Same I was really bad at it. I mean of course I could tell tall = good, wide = good, full head of hair = good.

But judging facial attractiveness? I was really bad at this. I could only notice the giga obvious stuff like acne, fucked up teeth, etc, the things normies notice

Same I was really bad at it. I mean of course I could tell tall = good, wide = good, full head of hair = good.

But judging facial attractiveness? I was really bad at this. I could only notice the giga obvious stuff like acne, fucked up teeth, etc, the things normies notice
Ye. Once you watch FACEandLMS and relise the importance of the jaw, height/frame, eyes etc it's much easier.

A few weeks ago I looked on insta back at some of the chads at my school and now I realize what made them chads

Ye. Once you watch FACEandLMS and relise the importance of the jaw, height/frame, eyes etc it's much easier.

A few weeks ago I looked on insta back at some of the chads at my school and now I realize what made them chads
I don't know if you've experienced that but I also started to understand WHY I would feel a certain way about certain people based on their looks. This even worked with fictitious characters, srs.

Oh I've always felt like this guy/character looks manly, confident, in charge, strong etc? Well it's because he has an incredible lower third, a wide neck, cheekbones and a full head of hair

Same with the "strong stares" that i felt from some people, turns out it was just bones of the eye area, not them squinting and acting confident

I also remember being retarded and thinking some men with soft, weak, puffy looking faces were just out of shape. When a lot of the time they just have shitty bones and even when they get ripped their faces still look like they're melting.

And yet some fat asses with strong facial bones still have strong looking faces despite all the blobber

Now obviously they didn't test anyone from this site since we're all brutally honest with ourselves. But I think this is pretty accurate for most incels in denial and low tier normies. No wonder it's so easy for them to fall for PUA and redpill cope "advice" and self improvement
I think most of probably still overrate ourselves not underrate ourselves like IT says. No matter how many times they cherrypick trolls in our community who's only purpose hanging around us is to make us feel worse. We're just far more realistic than others.

I think it's the constant stream of new, beautiful and colourful images seen in (social) media of people that people interact with 24/7 and have come to identify with is making them this delusional. 'Normal' people who drift to top and get followed by other normies en masse on IG, Snapchat and TikTok are significantly more attractive than average - yet people somehow still see these e-celebs as 'normal and approachable' and 'someone who could have been my friend or neighbor' or 'someone just like me'.

There used to be this term 'TV ugly' which described a supposedly 'mediocre' or 'loser' type character in a TV show or movie, who IRL was way above average in terms of attractiveness. Think a Edward Norton or Ethan Hawke. That is the same dynamic at play. Even the extras in the background of TV shows are not a correct representation of reality - they are way more attractive than average normies on the street.

Digital media has become so all pervasive in peoples lives that its a separate reality in and of itself. Before abundant, cheap, accessible visual mass media (say pre 1950s) people probably had more realistic estimations of their own attractiveness and looks on a PSL scale. Corporate marketing and advertising, Silicon Valley and Hollywood brainwashed everybody - everyone wants to picture themselves as a person in an aspirational advertisement for a consumer product or a popular IG page.

Last edited:
I don't know if you've experienced that but I also started to understand WHY I would feel a certain way about certain people based on their looks. This even worked with fictitious characters, srs.

Oh I've always felt like this guy/character looks manly, confident, in charge, strong etc? Well it's because he has an incredible lower third, a wide neck, cheekbones and a full head of hair

Same with the "strong stares" that i felt from some people, turns out it was just bones of the eye area, not them squinting and acting confident

I also remember being retarded and thinking some men with soft, weak, puffy looking faces were just out of shape. When a lot of the time they just have shitty bones and even when they get ripped their faces still look like they're melting.

And yet some fat asses with strong facial bones still have strong looking faces despite all the blobber
Init

A nice blackpill combo on the importance of looks is available in the introduction of the study, what a great way to start

People are apparently not very self aware when it comes to their looks

BUT ... some people are even less self aware than others

This explains why so many incels and low tier normies are completely in denial.
All those men who get nothing but cope with mental gymnastics all day

They don't even pick up on how repulsive they are to women. Not surprising. Remember that ITcel who said "i am what you guys would call a chad", jfl

The next paragraph is fucking BRUTAL.

This confirms it: they are DELUSIONAL but deep down they know they're unattractive. It's all just cope and mental gymnastics

This reminds of all those chads and chadlites who say looks don't matter or it only plays a small role. I've even heard attractive guys imply they were average or above average "like everyone else"

@mylifeistrash you just asked recently how men can still go on despite all the pressure. It appears that most people think things will get better in the future lmao. People literally see themselves as temporarily embarrassed champions and future millionaires

Some extra paragraphs and link to the study

I think most of probably still overrate ourselves not underrate ourselves like IT says. No matter how many times they cherrypick trolls in our community who's only purpose hanging around us is to make us feel worse. We're just far more realistic than others.

That and believing there's a magical combination of words that'll seduce the girl

The rejection was too apparent for you to cope like they do

I think it's the constant stream of new, beautiful and colourful images seen in (social) media of people that people interact with 24/7 and have come to identify with is making them this delusional. 'Normal' people who drift to top and get followed by other normies en masse on IG, Snapchat and TikTok are significantly more attractive than average - yet people somehow still see these e-celebs as 'normal and approachable' and 'someone who could have been my friend or neighbor' or 'someone just like me'.

There used to be this term 'TV ugly' which described a supposedly 'mediocre' or 'loser' type character in a TV show or movie, who IRL was way above average in terms of attractiveness. Think a Edward Norton or Ethan Hawke. That is the same dynamic at play. Even the extras in the background of TV shows are not a correct representation of reality - they are way more attractive than average normies on the street.

Digital media has become so all pervasive in peoples lives that its a separate reality in and of itself. Before abundant, cheap, accessible visual mass media (say pre 1950s) people probably had more realistic estimations of their own attractiveness and looks on a PSL scale. Corporate marketing and advertising, Silicon Valley and Hollywood brainwashed everybody - everyone wants to picture themselves as a person in an aspirational advertisement for a consumer product or a popular IG page.

if looks determine mainly how people treat you if you're male (being female = always get treated well), and men rapidly lose their looks starting at age 21%

then you lose 10% of so of your worth as a human being each year

and unless you're fine living life being treated like shit or as a hermit, by late 20s, your worth as a human is near 0

unless you have freak 1/1000 genes and look good at 30 (exception not the rule)

if looks determine mainly how people treat you if you're male (being female = always get treated well), and men rapidly lose their looks starting at age 21%

and unless you're fine living life being treated like shit or as a hermit, by late 20s, your worth as a human is near 0

The idea is that your financial worth grows as you age, so you can afford more and more copes as you age.

Of course some people don't succeed in doing that.

And 10% is pretty extreme.

sad that this is true.top kek

Good post OP. Is this from the incel wiki? If it isn’t, it should be put in there

The idea is that your financial worth grows as you age, so you can afford more and more copes as you age.

Of course some people don't succeed in doing that.

And 10% is pretty extreme.

most people are negative net worth in the west

how many guys over 30 do you know who look good?

it's reality. most of us are complete dog shit to society. no point in denying it.

Absolutely agreed. It’s hard rating facial attractiveness when blue pilled.

100% agreed. Women love wide strong faces.
7B819030 C27B 4658 8F16 22CF142D95F0

Last edited:
most people are negative net worth in the west

how many guys over 30 do you know who look good?

it's reality. most of us are complete dog shit to society. no point in denying it.
Yeah but if they were all lean then that number would be much higher. Mainly people look like shit cause of fat and balding.

I think some guys can look good on trt + gh in their early to mid 30s if they're not balding (big if). Balding and becoming a flabby low t sack of shit is what is making most men age like shit imo, not so much other things like skin aging

Good post OP. Is this from the incel wiki? If it isn’t, it should be put in there
Nope it was recently posted on the blackpill science sub, it's such a great meta analysis
Absolutely agreed. It’s hard rating facial attractiveness when blue pilled.

100% agreed. Women love wide strong faces.
View attachment 291000
10 years ago I wouldn't have thought that the guy on the right is unattractive. I wouldn't have understood why. Thank god I'm not ignorant anymore

The physical attractiveness1 of a person has important implications for how this person is treated by others. Attractive people are more likely to receive help (Benson, Karabenick & Lerner, 1976) and less likely to be punished (Berkowitz & Frodi, 1979), their performance is rated more favorably (Landy & Sigall, 1974), and they are more likely to be desired as a romantic partner (Walster, Aronson, Abrahams & Rottman, 1966). Contrary to the maxim “beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” there is generally high agreement about who is attractive and who is not (for meta‐analyses, Feingold, 1992; Langlois, Kalakanis, Rubenstein, Larson, Hallam & Smoot, 2000).

I have first hand experience in all of these scenarios, but especially the item in bold. Whether it was grade school, college, graduate school, training seminars, or taking on a hobby, instructors always had it out for me, for stupid and quite nonsensical reasons, while I saw my average to above average looking counterparts get praised and passed on with the bare minimum effort.