Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Blackpill Shadow of the Colossus and loneliness

Celasius

Celasius

★★★★
There’s a melancholic essence of loneliness written all over that game. Everything about it feels empty but vast and significant. Most people interpret it as a game trying to tackle the cycle of violence, but to me, I think it’s mostly exploring the themes of loss and grief and how people choose to cope with them.

Empty

In spite of the prophecy foretold, trucel loses his loved one, and in an attempt to resurrect her (technically, she’s deceased, but it’s the same since she’s going to die anyway), he’s been told by some unknown entity whom he had no prior contact with before offering the girl to go battle 16 Colossi in exchange for her life.

Simple premise, executed flawlessly in depth.

Spoilers: as he progresses, he begins to lose himself. With every colossus slain, every last bit of his humanity vanishes. The plot is that the colossi were just an evil force imprisoned in these gigantic rock-like creatures long ago as an attempt to confine and prevent them, and every time he kills one of them, a fragment of them enters his body until he eventually gives in full control.

That’s where I think it’s trying to resonate with the player. The colossi you’re meant to defeat serve as some sort of metaphorical representation of your own isolation, or in this case, the player’s never-ending fight against the desolate solitude that’s suffocated him from the very moment they lost their loved one and thus became lonely. The emptiness you get hit with between the battles reflectively mirrors the void within your shattered soul; the fights mirror a more manic moment of regret fueled by rage and resentment, ultimately making it a dance between your own will to do something (as “wrong” as it may be) or just letting go.

When you lose someone or something, anything really, there's always a sense of remorse. Thinking that there’s something you could’ve done or that you should’ve done but there’s nothing, hollow, done and gone, all in vain, but you keep beating yourself for it as if it’s your fault, so much that you’ll end up falling into this pit of hate and all other forms of negativity that destroy your entirety. It’s a lot similar to our situation. We hate everyone and everything, including and especially ourselves for what’s happened to us and how they’ve treated us for things completely outside of our control, but in the end, it’ll only continue to harm us and everything around us. We’ll be blindsided by the nonexistent sense of progression, where in actuality, we’re just getting uglier and uglier both on the inside and the outside and end up losing every little thing we were left with.

Almost every videogame in existence is meant to make you feel like a badass, and it fits because it’s all fiction and escapism obviously. In this one, however, you feel like a good-for-nothing minuscule sack of shit fighting against these God-like creatures, clinging on to your last bit of hope when climbing on them, and I think it’s all intentional. It’s meant to make you feel desperate. Because it is desperate. What you’re doing isn’t morally wrong, and I don’t think the game ever hints at it this way, but it is figuratively stupid, aimless, and pointless.

At its core, it’s just an action-adventure boss rush with puzzle elements, but beneath all that, there’s something special if you’re willing to dig, and a lot of it can’t be put into words. You just have to feel them.

@wereq this is a game you should go play, not that ten minute VR simulator Steam slop with fancy graphs.

@Iranianoldcel have you played this? It’s an older game. One that might tickle that millennial fancy of yours.

@Stupid Clown did you get into this as a kid? :feelscomfy:

Read every word
Very high iq :bigbrain:

:feelsYall:

You are a fast reader. :feelsstudy:

Not really. Probably just autistic and worthless jfl.
I have read over 250 books so yeah
kinda fast reader
(Forced by parents btw I hate books)

@Iranianoldcel have you played this? It’s an older game. One that might tickle that millennial fancy of yours.

It's a goddamn masterpiece and it's on my top 5 videogames of all time. I remmeebr the first time I saw the game I was at my friend's house and he was playing the remastered version for ps3. I watched it from the beginning to the end until he beat the game. It's a piece of art. That sense of calmness throughout the whole game is something that I've never experienced any other videogame. I don't know why but it had a sort of deep spiritual impact on me. Every time I listen to we the gods(instrumental piano version) by Anathema, it reminds me of those days because I used to listen to this song a lot.

I played the ps4 remake but stranegrly didn't get the same feeling I got from the remastered version.

That sense of calmness throughout the whole game is something that I've never experienced any other videogame. I don't know why but it had a sort of deep spiritual impact on me.
Same. I don’t think I’ve ever resonated with any other game this much. They really don’t make them like this anymore. It’s too risky. So over.

Every time I listen to we the gods(instrumental piano version) by Anathema, it reminds me of those days because I used to listen to this song a lot.
Fucking beyond based. This guy did some really good solos too. :feelsaww:

I played the ps4 remake but stranegrly didn't get the same feeling I got from the remastered version.
All remakes, basically. The team behind it did a good job remapping some of the janky controls for the zoomers (they also made the platinum a lot easier by giving more time to the players for the time trial challenges hence it’s more relenting and forgiving since you have more room for error), but ended up butchering the atmosphere and the overall vibe. The original had a hollow and blue-ish feeling to go with the story it wanted to tell, and that’s completely absent in the remake. It’s the same with the 3D GTA trilogy. They were much better looking on the PS2 (better lighting, shadows, etc.) but then the PC versions that came after ruined them entirely. Always play the original releases. Always.

You should go play Ico and The Last Guardian too. Also amazing but not as good. :feelscomfy:

Kow Otani makes great music

Very apt analysis. It also made me think that in the search for love we lose and destroy ourselves, which is what happens to us in the dating scene. And killing the colossus gives this sense of progression, but in the game this is false. We are only going towards our own doom.

Could it be that this was the first incel game?

Very apt analysis. It also made me think that in the search for love we lose and destroy ourselves, which is what happens to us in the dating scene.
Subjective obviously, but this is very much how I feel about the game.

And killing the colossus gives this sense of progression, but in the game this is false. We are only going towards our own doom.
Precisely. It’s a false sense of progression. It’s how we choose to compensate for loss and loneliness. You want to destroy something to cope with the pain, but there’s nothing (in literal sense) so you only end up destroying yourself. Another game slightly similar (and A LOT worse) is The Last of Us 2. Ellie embarking on this suicidal revenge mission is also extremely aimless for how she only ends up hurting and tarnishing the rest of what she was left with. That game could’ve been something special, but the amount of plot-holes, and having you arrogantly play as Abby in order to sympathize with her side of the story completely killed it for me. The game’s also catered for normies whereas SotC feels more unique and universal.

Could it be that this was the first incel game?
Definitely our game, for sure. :feelsjuice:

No,that's Harvest Moon, if you're single they kick you out (brutal :blackpill:)
qde0ec.png
Cope. Penny loves me in Stardew. :feelsmage:

Haibane Renmei
Brb, gonna go watch. :feelsLightsaber:

Last edited:

No.

Well written post.

There’s a melancholic essence of loneliness written all over that game. Everything about it feels empty but vast and significant. Most people interpret it as a game trying to tackle the cycle of violence, but to me, I think it’s mostly exploring the themes of loss and grief and how people choose to cope with them.

Empty

In spite of the prophecy foretold, trucel loses his loved one, and in an attempt to resurrect her (technically, she’s deceased, but it’s the same since she’s going to die anyway), he’s been told by some unknown entity whom he had no prior contact with before offering the girl to go battle 16 Colossi in exchange for her life.

Simple premise, executed flawlessly in depth.

Spoilers: as he progresses, he begins to lose himself. With every colossus slain, every last bit of his humanity vanishes. The plot is that the colossi were just an evil force imprisoned in these gigantic rock-like creatures long ago as an attempt to confine and prevent them, and every time he kills one of them, a fragment of them enters his body until he eventually gives in full control.

That’s where I think it’s trying to resonate with the player. The colossi you’re meant to defeat serve as some sort of metaphorical representation of your own isolation, or in this case, the player’s never-ending fight against the desolate solitude that’s suffocated him from the very moment they lost their loved one and thus became lonely. The emptiness you get hit with between the battles reflectively mirrors the void within your shattered soul; the fights mirror a more manic moment of regret fueled by rage and resentment, ultimately making it a dance between your own will to do something (as “wrong” as it may be) or just letting go.

When you lose someone or something, anything really, there's always a sense of remorse. Thinking that there’s something you could’ve done or that you should’ve done but there’s nothing, hollow, done and gone, all in vain, but you keep beating yourself for it as if it’s your fault, so much that you’ll end up falling into this pit of hate and all other forms of negativity that destroy your entirety. It’s a lot similar to our situation. We hate everyone and everything, including and especially ourselves for what’s happened to us and how they’ve treated us for things completely outside of our control, but in the end, it’ll only continue to harm us and everything around us. We’ll be blindsided by the nonexistent sense of progression, where in actuality, we’re just getting uglier and uglier both on the inside and the outside and end up losing every little thing we were left with.

Almost every videogame in existence is meant to make you feel like a badass, and it fits because it’s all fiction and escapism obviously. In this one, however, you feel like a good-for-nothing minuscule sack of shit fighting against these God-like creatures, clinging on to your last bit of hope when climbing on them, and I think it’s all intentional. It’s meant to make you feel desperate. Because it is desperate. What you’re doing isn’t morally wrong, and I don’t think the game ever hints at it this way, but it is figuratively stupid, aimless, and pointless.

At its core, it’s just an action-adventure boss rush with puzzle elements, but beneath all that, there’s something special if you’re willing to dig, and a lot of it can’t be put into words. You just have to feel them.
I had the game for my ps3 when i was young but I was too agitated and got bored easily to play through it. Maybe I should play it now I would resonate with it

Now I feel tempted to get the ps2 version. I have the ps4 one but haven’t played it yet :feelsbadman:

thats a game Ive always wanted to play but I think Ill get bored because its a walking simulator

Based. Mine has survived too. :feelsYall:

AV to HDMI converters maybe? :feelswhere:

Or just these?

Amazon product ASIN B07TNH8T1FView: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Converter-Support-Composite-Cable/dp/B07TNH8T1F

Trust me when I say just emulate the thing or at least FreeMcBoot it unless you’re okay with dipping down 15fps on the disk version.
I can not find the two threads you mentioned me in. Unfortunately because of extreme wageslaving I've been unable to come to this forum and spend more than 1 minute. Only twice since November