Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Non-Anglospherecels, how and why did you learn English?

Offroads are badass (they scream FREEDOM unlike those cucked city cars), but it would be kinda silly to own a SUV when the only passenger is the driver (I still wanna buy em but in croatia people are poor)
hmmm, what cars do your townfolk drive? Ima not joking - we got many Lexus LX 570, Toyota Land-Cruiser 300... kazakhs love showing off, so they buy cars in credit

hmmm, what cars do your townfolk drive? Ima not joking - we got many Lexus LX 570, Toyota Land-Cruiser 300... kazakhs love showing off, so they buy cars in credit
Lots of hatchbacks, few minicars, few sedans, lots of twingos :feelsLSD:
Generally smaller-medium sized city cars, i think kazakhs drive large offroad vehicles cuz they live in rural/poorly developed areas
I live in Rijeka (third largest croatian city). I see alot of large cargo vans and medium sized box trucks.

Lots of hatchbacks, few minicars, few sedans, lots of twingos :feelsLSD:
Generally smaller-medium sized city cars, i think kazakhs drive large offroad vehicles cuz they live in rural/poorly developed areas
I live in Rijeka (third largest croatian city). I see alot of large cargo vans and medium sized box trucks.
actually medium amount of sedans

I need to talk with incels around the world
Better to use Esperanto for that, and that's why I'm learning. I want to spread the black pill through a language that's easier to learn and not tied to a particular nation or spread via colonialism but is also meant for international communication. Right now, I'm working on translating a few stuff into Esperanto and I might get up to translate Elliot Rodger's manifesto after I have the time to read it.

What makes English ideal aside from it's already current status as a global language? It's still tied to Anglo-American culture and not necessarily culturally neutral.

majority drives old cars like toyota corolla, camry, some random nissans, many new mazdas 3

of course, many LADAs
hmmmm... local autopark is quite interesting - we got RX8, Mustang, Camaro, Z350, whats more... very strong presence of japan cars, we call them jdm, perhaps everyone calls japs cars JDM - japan domestic market

old bmws amd MBs

i once saw an Bentley here!

some porsche cayenne here
Oh, and also locals like BMW X-series, even latest x7. Where ppl got money ferdat... we arent exactly bathing in riches here

also audi q8

I was grown in Poland in '90 soon after communism fall. It was crazy times, Poland was flooded by American pop culture, like music, movies etc. In those times USA was perceived as paradise so to take part in culture, to understand what boysbands are singing about learning English was a natural choose. Later all public schools started to teach English (decade earlier was still Russian) so i continue there, later came computer games, internet etc. Now I'm living in Netherlands but I'm still using English daily because it's enough and I'm to lazy to learn Dutch :feelsjuice:

I was grown in Poland in '90 soon after communism fall. It was crazy times, Poland was flooded by American pop culture, like music, movies etc. In those times USA was perceived as paradise so to take part in culture, to understand what boysbands are singing about learning English was a natural choose. Later all public schools started to teach English (decade earlier was still Russian) so i continue there, later came computer games, internet etc. Now I'm living in Netherlands but I'm still using English daily because it's enough and I'm to lazy to learn Dutch :feelsjuice:
Yep, the media tends to glorify American culture to the rest of the world too much. I always criticize American exceptionalism tbh because everybody likes to think we're some utopia, like we have the best government and democracy and that no other country are as good as it is here and everyone is rich and prosperous. Buy yeah.

And I heard that a lot of Dutch people know English very well but I still suggest learning the language especially considering how close it is to English. How much Dutch do you already know btw?

Yep, the media tends to glorify American culture to the rest of the world too much. I always criticize American exceptionalism tbh because everybody likes to think we're some utopia, like we have the best government and democracy and that no other country are as good as it is here and everyone is rich and prosperous. Buy yeah.

And I heard that a lot of Dutch people know English very well but I still suggest learning the language especially considering how close it is to English. How much Dutch do you already know btw?
If there is a winner, there must be a loser as well

Of course, your democracy is flawed.. some richmen will outrank other richmen in terms of money and become new president

but - that goes true everywhere.. ppl just naturally want money and power

Ima want to go in ur country just because you got more opportunities that i got here

If there is a winner, there must be a loser as well

Of course, your democracy is flawed.. some richmen will outrank other richmen in terms of money and become new president

but - that goes true everywhere.. ppl just naturally want money and power

Ima want to go in ur country just because you got more opportunities that i got here
I say fuck America, tbh. I would say try to focus on improving your own country but as I've realize the Third World are still part of the system and all government suck and controlled by Jews. Moving over here is just keeping up with the system.

Japanese video games...

Because my mother sent me to the English academy after school, she said I would need it because learning foreign languages it's important for everything: Education, jobs, entertainment, traveling, etc. And I agree tbh being fluent in English has helped me in many moments of my life. For example I could take a masters degree that was taught 100% in English or have access to many books and videogames that were never translated to Spanish.

i can understand music, movies, i can voice chat (with accent) but i wouldnt say im fluent yet
Natively you speak Darija and French, no?
Because my mother sent me to the English academy after school, she said I would need it because learning foreign languages it's important for everything: Education, jobs, entertainment, traveling, etc. And I agree tbh being fluent in English has helped me in many moments of my life. For example I could take a masters degree that was taught 100% in English or have access to many books and videogames that were never translated to Spanish.
¿Que tu piensas sobre el español haciéndose mas importante en los Estados Unidos considerando la grande población hispana aqui y también crezcas? ¿Y también la crecimiento del español en el internet por usuarios de España y Latinoamérica?

Tu me dijiste que tu también hablas el catalán.

I see. But with Croatian, you could also speak to other people from the rest of the Balkans since all those other languages are very similar to each other?

@Mecoja

Yeah, but for many it's not a necessity. If you know a language like Spanish or French, already you can talk to a large number of people from a wide area of countries as well as move to any of the countries in Europe where they speak those languages (and "Canada" in the case of French, and Spanish is an advantage in the U.S. due to the large and growing Hispanic population here).
Serbian, Bosnian, Croatian and Montenegrin is basically the same minus the accents and some words. I have trouble understanding Macedonians and Slovenians but still can understand enough to get the gist of it.

For English, before I got internet and pc, I learned some from movies, I watched US movies since birth. Jrpgs are heavily story driven so that made me want to learn more, enough to understand everything. My grammar was awful until I started reading books in English and watching eng movies with eng subtitles, best way to learn spelling.

I learned it because my parents encouraged me to. As for the method, it was both dilligence and interest, since they would put me in English extracurriculars and I damn enjoyed every second of learning the language.

Serbian, Bosnian, Croatian and Montenegrin is basically the same minus the accents and some words. I have trouble understanding Macedonians and Slovenians but still can understand enough to get the gist of it.
Yeah, they're basically the same language, Serbo-Croatian except Macedonian (sister language to Bulgarian) and Slovenian but they are part of the sprachbund.
For English, before I got internet and pc, I learned some from movies, I watched US movies since birth. Jrpgs are heavily story driven so that made me want to learn more, enough to understand everything. My grammar was awful until I started reading books in English and watching eng movies with eng subtitles, best way to learn spelling.
And what are your thoughts on the language and Anglo-American culture? Do you think it's a good language as an Internet lingua franca?

I learned it because my parents encouraged me to. As for the method, it was both dilligence and interest, since they would put me in English extracurriculars and I damn enjoyed every second of learning the language.
What made you enjoy learning English? Did you find it easy?

What made you enjoy learning English? Did you find it easy?
Probably the fact that it enabled me to consooom 90% of Internet content (super old stat, idk if it still applies). I also enjoyed it because it was very easy and it was "my thing" in all of schooling, the thing I excelled at.

Probably the fact that it enabled me to consooom 90% of Internet content (super old stat, idk if it still applies). I also enjoyed it because it was very easy and it was "my thing" in all of schooling, the thing I excelled at.
And do you think English is a good language as an IAL or a global lingua franca? Should everyone learn it if they want to speak with the rest of the world even in places not influenced by Anglo-American culture?

And what are your thoughts on the language and Anglo-American culture? Do you think it's a good language as an Internet lingua franca?
Its ok, not my favorite, not not complicated to learn it on basic level. I prefer Spanish and Japanese, imo sounds much better. Sadly I barely know any Spanish and zero knowledge of Japanese. As you get older learning languages becomes much harder and there's no must reason to force you to learn them.

Internet and school and video games (I learned most of my english with the game Danganronpa)

School / studies
Video games
Internet

I will say this on the philosophy of language however, than when you learn and use a language you are not merely learning about its words and its grammar, but by speaking in you become part of its community of speakers and a part of its culture and history. In the case of English, you begin to adopt the cultures that dominate it (the United States and Britain) and the wider Anglo-American culture. English will always be attached to that culture which originated in England and spread to the world by colonialism and Hollywood. Just like when you learn Spanish, you are also adopting the cultural norms of which originated in Spain and Latin America, and the history that goes a long with it. Language will always be tied to the culture the nation where it originated.

I realized this when I was learning Esperanto, despite being a constructed language meant to be a neutral medium for communication not tied to a nation or pre-existing culture, overtime developed a culture of its own by the community of people who speak it. Thus by learning Esperanto, I become a part of that community and therefore adopt its culture. At least with Esperanto, its origins are of a more widespread and international scope that wasn't spread by colonialism and learning it is a voluntary endeavor. Unlike English and many other national languages which have become major global languages due to people being forced to speak it over their own native languages and thus are not neutral and carry with them that historical baggage and legacy.
You're absolutely correct. Learning a language is entering into a culture.

And do you think English is a good language as an IAL or a global lingua franca? Should everyone learn it if they want to speak with the rest of the world even in places not influenced by Anglo-American culture?
That's retarded, the global translator service should be around the corner with how rapidly AI develops. Also retarded because you could end up without any real use for it. Imho we should only encourage language learning to young kids like we do now and maybe to old people so as to prevent dementia, but not against anyone's consent, obviously.

Yeah but in 90 American culture really expand to Eastern Europe it was time of end of history and top time of American hegemony. Now i think people are a bit more critical towards USA but i still admire your country.

And in Netherlands English literacy is highest in Europe, I know just a bit of Dutch to have a small talk but I see that Dutch people apriciete when you at least try to speak.

Its ok, not my favorite, not not complicated to learn it on basic level. I prefer Spanish and Japanese, imo sounds much better. Sadly I barely know any Spanish and zero knowledge of Japanese. As you get older learning languages becomes much harder and there's no must reason to force you to learn them.
Yep. I kinda wish I learned Esperanto earlier because even when I was like 12 and 13 I tried learning other languages like Catalan but never went to far into it. This time because of Duolingo and other resources I manage to get far into Esperanto and I'm still practicing it although I'm still getting used to its grammar.

Yeah, both Spanish and Japanese are phonologically simpler than English, however Spanish does have a complex grammar (probably still comparable to English grammar, but even then) and the conjugations and irregularities and where to put the accent marks which makes it difficult to learn. I can't say too much about Japanese because I've never studied it.
You learn it in school starting grade 1

I'm also terminally online
Is it mandatory where you live? What's your native language?
That's retarded, the global translator service should be around the corner with how rapidly AI develops. Also retarded because you could end up without any real use for it. Imho we should only encourage language learning to young kids like we do now and maybe to old people so as to prevent dementia, but not against anyone's consent, obviously.
So you're saying fuck the idea of a "global language" and we should only be taught native languages and let AI translators facilitate interlingual communication. But what about English being taught outside Anglosphere countries?
Yeah but in 90 American culture really expand to Eastern Europe it was time of end of history and top time of American hegemony. Now i think people are a bit more critical towards USA but i still admire your country.

And in Netherlands English literacy is highest in Europe, I know just a bit of Dutch to have a small talk but I see that Dutch people apriciete when you at least try to speak.
Yeah, I know Anglo-American culture is pretty widespread. Even in non-Anglophone countries there is still an influence, you see this especially in Latin America where a lot of the people there consume American media despite being predominantly Spanish-speaking and still retaining a Latin-based culture. Inversely Latin culture does impact American culture again due to the large number of Hispanic immigrants here and in turn that indirectly affects the rest of the Anglosphere.
You're absolutely correct. Learning a language is entering into a culture.
Yep. Even if English becomes a "global language" it still brings with it the Anglo-American culture and the United States as the center of it. It will make its way into other cultures and dominate over it and of course, people have a tendency of wanting to adopt the dominant or "prestige" culture.

Yes it is mandatory

German
Was it easy for you? Do you prefer German or English?

Also, do you speak Standard German and/or one of its regional dialects and do you have an accent when you speak English?

It was pretty easy once I started to use the internet regulary. I mainly watch english youtube channels and watched videos like AVGN regulary.

Standard german
I see.