Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

[Music] Staind's Tormented Album

E

Edmund_Kemper

Disregard my larping efforts. I can’t change it.
-
You guys should check out this album. I remember having suicidal thoughts one time at the beginning of 10th grade, but back then being miserable and angry was actually fun. i was listening to this album at the time and i suddenly wasn't suicidal anymore and felt better. this album is concept album about an angry depressed guy who eventually commits suicide. Staind may have made post-grunge Creed-Nickelback type songs later on but this album's pure metal. My favorite is 4 Walls, but all the other songs are awesome.

I kind of liked "It's been a while" when it would come on in mtv.

No, I spent 3 years in the middle east when I was 10-13 in the country where my parents are from.
1996-1999? So in 2001 you were back in USA? What country?

Yes, I was here before 2000 in late 1999, then I went back for around 6 months in 2007.
I thought in 2001, MTV stopped playing music videos. Back then, people already were saying that MTV never plays videos

I thought in 2001, MTV stopped playing music videos. Back then, people already were saying that MTV never plays videos
I think I was watching it on mtv2.

I think I was watching it on mtv2.
Not a lot of people had MTV2 back then and I think MTV2 usually played more underground music. It was probably normal MTV that you were watching

did normal MTV ever play music videos in 2001?

Not a lot of people had MTV2 back then and I think MTV2 usually played more underground music. It was probably normal MTV that you were watching
It was a long time ago so I don't remember but you're probably right.

It was a long time ago so I don't remember but you're probably right.
Did the normal MTV channel still play music videos back in 2001?

It did sometimes, but mostly it played shows.
What time of the day did it play music videos on regular MTV in 2001? I don’t think people used the internet to watch music videos back then yet.

What time of the day did it play music videos on regular MTV in 2001? I don’t think people used the internet to watch music videos back then yet.
Sometimes in the afternoon and late at night I think. There was almost no way to watch videos online back then because there was no cucktube so we had to use kazaa.

Sometimes in the afternoon and late at night I think. There was almost no way to watch videos online back then because there was no cucktube so we had to use kazaa.
Kazaa didn’t exist until 2006 though. So did MTV play the ENTIRE music videos? I heard that TRL only played like 20 seconds of each video. When did TRL play the entire video?

Kazaa didn’t exist until 2006 though. So did MTV play the ENTIRE music videos? I heard that TRL only played like 20 seconds of each video. When did TRL play the entire video?
Really? Maybe I was using limewire back then. On trl they only played part of the video but at night I think they played full videos, infomercials, and re-runs.

Really? Maybe I was using limewire back then. On trl they only played part of the video but at night I think they played full videos, infomercials, and re-runs.
Did they play entire music videos in the afternoon with an hour or two of simply music videos?

Did they play entire music videos in the afternoon with an hour or two of simply music videos?
I think only trl played them at that time, but at night they played full videos for an hour or two.

I think only trl played them at that time, but at night they played full videos for an hour or two.
So how did people watch the entire music videos back then?

There was mtv2, vh1, BET, limewire, and I think the box was also around.
Those channels didn’t have as many people watching and only played certain genres. How did people who didn’t have those channels watch videos?

Those channels didn’t have as many people watching and only played certain genres. How did people who didn’t have those channels watch videos?
They probably didn't watch them unless they downloaded videos from limewire. Even today I rarely watch music videos, so it wouldn't be that bad.

They probably didn't watch them unless they downloaded videos from limewire. Even today I rarely watch music videos, so it wouldn't be that bad.
Didn’t people watch late at night or if entire music videos were played in the daytime?many famous early 2000s music videos back then, people must’ve watched them

Didn’t people watch late at night or if entire music videos were played in the daytime?many famous early 2000s music videos back then, people must’ve watched them
If they didn't have mtv2 they either had to watch pieces on trl or wait till almost midnight to watch music videos.

If they didn't have mtv2 they either had to watch pieces on trl or wait till almost midnight to watch music videos.
How often did you watch music videos back then?

How often did you watch music videos back then?
I think I watched a good amount because I had mtv2, BET, and downloaded music videos from limewire.

I think I watched a good amount because I had mtv2, BET, and downloaded music videos from limewire.
I guess those channels played more videos in the daytime. I thought Napster was the big thing then. I don’t think Napster had music videos

I thought limewire was more 2002-2006

I guess those channels played more videos in the daytime. I thought Napster was the big thing then. I don’t think Napster had music videos

I thought limewire was more 2002-2006
Napster only had mp3's. During 2000 and 2001 I don't think I watched many videos because I just came from egypt and wasn't that into them.

Napster only had mp3's. During 2000 and 2001 I don't think I watched many videos because I just came from egypt and wasn't that into them.
Didn’t TRL play an entire music video when they premiered a video? The show had video premieres sometimes

Didn’t TRL play an entire music video when they premiered a video? The show had video premieres sometimes
That's true, I used to wait for that part if it was a video I was interested in watching. I also had a channel called "the box" in 1999-2000 where it played videos 24/7 and you got to call in to choose what video plays next for $1 per request charged to your phone bill.

That's true, I used to wait for that part if it was a video I was interested in watching. I also had a channel called "the box" in 1999-2000 where it played videos 24/7 and you got to call in to choose what video plays next for $1 per request charged to your phone bill.
What was your favorite music video back then? Mines would be all the small things

What was your favorite music video back then? Mines would be all the small things
I liked "last resort" "what's my age again" "bone thugs - resurrection" "Real slim shady" "stan" "Nelly - must be the money"

Last edited:
I liked "last resort" "what's my age again" "bone thugs - resurrection" "Real slim shady" "Nelly - must be the money"
Did you watch music videos at night?

What CDs you owned?
A lot because I used to order them from BMG and went to tower records every week or two. The ones I had at that time were marashall mathers lp, hooray for boobies, enema of the state, dude ranch, eve 6, lit, paparoach - infest, gold finger, h2o, bone thugs, offspring - americana, nelly, and some more I think I'm forgetting, which ones did you have?

A lot because I used to order them from BMG and went to tower records every week or two. The ones I had at that time were marashall mathers lp, hooray for boobies, enema of the state, dude ranch, eve 6, lit, paparoach - infest, gold finger, h2o, bone thugs, offspring - americana, nelly, and some more I think I'm forgetting, which ones did you have?
I’m 22. I buy CDs on amazon, and at stores. What state do you live in? Bands like H20 and goldfinger were more underground. How available were less mainstream CDs back then?

I’m 22. I buy CDs on amazon, and at stores. What state do you live in? Bands like H20 and goldfinger were more underground. How available were less mainstream CDs back then?
I'm in CA. It wasn't that hard to find underground band cd's back then, but you had to go to record stores and not stores like target.

I'm in CA. It wasn't that hard to find underground band cd's back then, but you had to go to record stores and not stores like target.
I think stores like Best Buy sold albums that were a tiny bit underground. I found Cannibal corpse, thy art is murder, obituary, Accept, rancid, etc at Best Buy. I guess if it was only a bit underground it’d be sold at Best Buy (eg: slightly underground albums usually went to around #50 on billboard 200)

I think stores like Best Buy sold albums that were a tiny bit underground. I found Cannibal corpse, thy art is murder, obituary, Accept, rancid, etc at Best Buy. I guess if it was only a bit underground it’d be sold at Best Buy (eg: slightly underground albums usually went to around #50 on billboard 200)
Best buy would have a better selection than most main stream stores because it's a big store that specializes in electrontics. There's so many good bands that went almost completely unnoticed.

Most of the guys from my generation absofuckinglutely HATED Staind and nu-metal bands in general preferring original style metal as the gold standard of quality.

Me however? I liked and still like most of Staind’s music however depression themed it may generally be.

Best buy would have a better selection than most main stream stores because it's a big store that specializes in electrontics. There's so many good bands that went almost completely unnoticed.
Did you ever see more underground bands at Best Buy?
Most of the guys from my generation absofuckinglutely HATED Staind and nu-metal bands in general preferring original style metal as the gold standard of quality.

Me however? I liked and still like most of Staind’s music however depression themed it may generally be.
in the 80s metal heads hated glam metal

Did you ever see more underground bands at Best Buy?
I think I saw a Less than Jake album there once, but I usually shopped at tower records and rasputin for cd's so I don't remember well.

I think I saw a Less than Jake album there once, but I usually shopped at tower records and rasputin for cd's so I don't remember well.
Less than jake were on Capitol records but only had underground fame. The popular ska punk bands were no doubt, reel big fish (one hit wonder), sublime, and the mighty mighty boss tones

Less than jake were on Capitol records but only had underground fame. The popular ska punk bands were no doubt, reel big fish (one hit wonder), sublime, and the mighty mighty boss tones
Reel big fish's one hit wonder was a cover of "take on me" I think, so I didn't want to buy the cd for it. I got the sublime cd but I didn't get mighty mighty boss tones, I listened to some of their songs though.

Reel big fish's one hit wonder was a cover of "take on me" I think, so I didn't want to buy the cd for it. I got the sublime cd but I didn't get mighty mighty boss tones, I listened to some of their songs though.
Reel big fish’s hit was the song sell out actually