Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

let's talk about this ( quantum physics )

nausea

nausea

Fesikh
★★★★★
pretty interesting, right?

ADVICE: Planck constant is ( check it )

to let the ball rolling, future scenarios? applications? 

@"A Good Friend"
@Kointo

You could say it's already being applied since LEDs, photovoltaic cells and transistors are based on quantum effects.

Subatomic particles?

nanomachines son

I think its interesting that everything from the way that our sense of smell/taste works, photosynthesis all rely on weird quantum tricks - that on small scales things appear to be both everywhere and nowhere at once. If it wasn't for these effects life wouldn't be possible.

fukmylyf said:
Planck constant =?

Basically around the turn of the 20th century it was realised that light has properties of both a wave (going back to work done by James Clerk Maxwell) and a quantum particle or "photon" the Plank constant is a measure of the energy in a given photon derived from its frequency of radiation. It gets even weirder because light seems to have both the property of a particle and a wave. Look up the double slit experiment. Something very weird is going on.

commander_zoidberg said:
I think its interesting that everything from the way that our sense of smell/taste works, photosynthesis all rely on weird quantum tricks - that on small scales things appear to be both everywhere and nowhere at once. If it wasn't for these effects life wouldn't be possible. 

We're just machines dependent on the cycling of energy and molecules.

I took my pop-sci knowledge of QM about as far as one can without going down the maths path (I'm a math tard). I really wish I understood at that level, and I guess I could try and start, but it'd be a lifetime of work.

But as far as the fun brainlet stuff goes, I've read all of Brian Greene's excellent M-Theory books, Susskind's "The Black Hole War," a couple of Michio Kaku, and countless others.

I've been really trying to grasp the double-slit quantum eraser experiment lately. I was going over it again and again last night. I understand to the point where the splitter creates virtual pairs, and that the second partner hitting the first detector seems retro causally influenced by the partner that hits the detector later. But then my intuition falls apart when they apply the scrubber that cancels the certainty and destroys the information again.

1518375710726.jpg

OTaKu_WarrIOr_N said:
We're just machines dependent on the cycling of energy and molecules.

Yes. Life as science currently defines it is a very advanced chemical machine. In fact I've seen research that indicates that when you put the basic building blocks together in the right environment at the right temperature range that complex organic molecules and then the emergence of amino acids are basically inevitable. The precursor to what we would call "life" today is long extinct but was likely something like some soap molecules forming around more complex amino acids in a salty hot spring or brine pool 4 billion years ago and that eventually became LUCA which spawned the 3 groups of life we see today. In fact i would say primitive life (single celled probably prokaryote like and chemosynethetic) is probably pretty common in the universe and elsewhere in the solar system probably.

commander_zoidberg said:
Yes. Life as science currently defines it is a very advanced chemical machine. In fact I've seen research that indicates that when you put the basic building blocks together in the right environment at the right temperature range that complex organic molecules and then the emergence of amino acids are basically inevitable. The precursor to what we would call "life" today is long extinct but was likely something like some soap molecules forming around more complex amino acids in a salty hot spring or brine pool 4 billion years ago and that eventually became LUCA which spawned the 3 groups of life we see today. In fact i would say primitive life (single celled probably prokaryote like and chemosynethetic) is probably pretty common in the universe and elsewhere in the solar system probably.

This. These are the 3 groups of life?

luca_1300716lato.jpg

This tree doesn't really make much sense since the archaea and bacteria come together to form eukaryotes. Or is that what happened?

commander_zoidberg said:

Basically around the turn of the 20th century it was realised that light has properties of both a wave (going back to work done by James Clerk Maxwell) and a quantum particle or "photon" the Plank constant is a measure of the energy in a given photon derived from its frequency of radiation. It gets even weirder because light seems to have both the property of a particle and a wave. Look up the double slit experiment. Something very weird is going on.

oh wait, I remember learning about this. Vaguely.

commander_zoidberg said:
probably pretty common in the universe and elsewhere in the solar system probably

To what extent is up for debate. You have to have late-life stellar nebulae to have the correct elements in place. Also, large swaths of galaxies are possibly "sterilized" by gamma-ray bursts.

A Good Friend said:
I've been really trying to grasp the double-slit quantum eraser experiment lately. I was going over it again and again last night. I understand to the point where the splitter creates virtual pairs, and that the second partner hitting the first detector seems retro causally influenced by the partner that hits the detector later. But then my intuition falls apart when they apply the scrubber that cancels the certainty and destroys the information again.

I wouldn't feel bad mate. Scientists up until a generation or two ago called Quantum mechanics "shut up and calculate" because no one really understood what was going on but the equations produced useful results. I've seen some of the greatest minds in quantum theory today tell people when they say "they think they get it" that no. No you don't get it because we don't either.

Also. +1 for Michio kaku. His explanation of relativity, black holes and how they relate to quantum mechanics is brilliant.

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/hydDhUNvva8[/video]

commander_zoidberg said:
Also. +1 for Michio kaku. His explanation of relativity, black holes and how they relate to quantum mechanics is brilliant.

I love that he actually went in to tensors and whatnot to give us brainlets a peek at the math. I just hit a wall with prediction and analogy, I want to know the nitty-gritty that led to such conclusions.

A Good Friend said:
To what extent is up for debate. You have to have late-life stellar nebulae to have the correct elements in place. Also, large swaths of galaxies are possibly "sterilized" by gamma-ray bursts.

I think certainly the core of a typical spiral galaxy and some active galaxies are out of the question but our own galaxy is fairly quiet and most of the nearby galaxies like Andromeda are too. Life on earth has probably survived numerous galactic calamities.

commander_zoidberg said:
Life on earth has probably survived numerous galactic calamities.

Granted, but as you know, life on earth is a fly on the ass of time. We could get our shit zapped tomorrow and our entire history could have hardly been said to exist. A GRB could really push our shit in, as long as we fall in its narrow focus.

Remember, all of these are so energetic that they are observed extra-galactic, some at the visible edge of the universe.

nasasswiftsp.jpg

Not even quantum physicists understand quantum physics.

A Good Friend said:
I took my pop-sci knowledge of QM about as far as one can without going down the maths path (I'm a math tard). I really wish I understood at that level, and I guess I could try and start, but it'd be a lifetime of work.

But as far as the fun brainlet stuff goes, I've read all of Brian Greene's excellent M-Theory books, Susskind's "The Black Hole War," a couple of Michio Kaku, and countless others.

1518375710726.jpg

I fucking love Susskind.

KyloRen said:
I fucking love Susskind.

I wish I could understand his lectures, but they're not general-level.

He really breaks it down nice in Blackhole War.

I have an italian video that perfectly explains the constant in simple way

@KvltWarrior98

A Good Friend said:
I wish I could understand his lectures, but they're not general-level.

He really breaks it down nice in Blackhole War.

Yeah. I've watched some of his lectures and the second he starts going into some of the more complex mathematical proofs i get a little lost.

All knowledge will be forgotten with time.