Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Story Is this cognitive dissonance or dishonesty?

• Thread starter Despondent Dreamer
  • Start date
Despondent Dreamer

Despondent Dreamer

Self-banned
-
While I don't really talk to him too much anymore, for a multitude of reasons, a couple things which my father has mentioned several times in the past seriously confuse me.

The first thing I'd like to mention, is how he would tell me that I'm good looking, or something like "you don't realize how good looking you are". I've actually questioned him about this before, and how exactly it could be accurate to suggest that I'm attractive when I've never had a gf, when I was endlessly bullied for my appearance in school, or when I can swipe through every woman within a wide radius on dating apps but get absolutely nowhere. Of course he didn't know how to respond to this, other than to tell me that I just need to keep trying. Obviously it could be explained as him not being able to objectively view his own son's appearance, or alternatively he was trying to give me some false confidence of some sort for whatever reason.

But the first possible conclusion begins to make a lot less sense when you consider how he talks about my mother. It's important to note that they both hate each other to varying degrees, and they've been separated since I was 2 (young enough for me to not have any exactly identifiable memories of them together). Anyway he'd often say things to me like "she's the ugliest woman that I've ever been with" or that he "didn't marry her for her appearance", evidently without realizing how utterly inconsiderate it is for him to tell me this shit without apologizing to me at all, not for speaking negatively about my mother, but rather for knowingly creating a kid who he knew would likely be unattractive. Even worse than that, he somehow doesn't realize how this contradicts his other claims about me somehow being good looking, or worse still, he thinks that I'm too stupid to see the contradiction. Keep in mind my dad isn't a particularly attractive guy himself, probably around a 4.5 low-tier normie in his youth (possibly even a 4).

The funniest part of it all is that I look far more like my mother than I look like him, and given all of this it's hard to see it as anything other than my father being unwilling to tell me what he can actually discern about my appearance.

On a somewhat related note, you want to know something pretty fucking sad? When I was a kid, even as young as 10-12, I knew that it was bad to look like my mother. Not due to anything that my father said (he never called her ugly to me until I was an adult), but rather when my mother would tell me how much I look like her, I would cringe. That is to say, even at such a young age I could objectively view the appearance of my own mother, and understand how I would be negatively perceived as a result of looking like her. Quite frankly if she were born male, she'd have a fair chance of being a user here despite how much easier it was for men of her generation. I'm obviously not saying that to be mean, it's just honest. Lookism is fucking hell.

Last edited:
Your dad is trying to lift you up and make you feel better. And it would be better for you if you believed him, even if he's wrong.

Your dad is trying to lift you up and make you feel better. And it would be better for you if you believed him, even if he's wrong.
Even if that's true it means that him saying this shit has resulted in him accomplishing exactly the opposite of what he intended. I guess that's the risk of these sorts of claims, as it's all gambling on me having less self-awareness than I do.

It just goes to show that knowing doesn't always make things better.

Even if that's true it means that him saying this shit has resulted in him accomplishing exactly the opposite of what he intended. I guess that's the risk of these sorts of claims, as it's all gambling on me having less self-awareness than I do.
Once you're poisoned by the black pill, there's no feeling better. But what's he going to do? Tell you it's over? At least try to appreciate his intent. I don't have anyone to encourage me or lift me up, you'll miss it when it's gone.

wish i knew the answer, maybe he can say that because he doesnt have anyone your age to compare you with

The "worst" option, as in, the one that makes him look like he has the least good intentions, is really that he honestly believes what he's saying, and that's just because boomers don't browse lookism forums or really have any general idea what makes a man look good. Anyways, you're looking too deep into it, just appreciate his efforts. If you really aren't sure if you're good looking or not, just ask the internet (and take what they say with a grain of salt).

The "worst" option, as in, the one that makes him look like he has the least good intentions, is really that he honestly believes what he's saying, and that's just because boomers don't browse lookism forums or really have any general idea what makes a man look good. Anyways, you're looking too deep into it, just appreciate his efforts. If you really aren't sure if you're good looking or not, just ask the internet (and take what they say with a grain of salt).
I already know that I'm well below average, some users/former users of this forum have seen me, probably 3.5 tbh. This is more a case of me trying to piece together what my dad's thoughts might be.

Your dad is just trying to Make you feel Better. Dads dont say "its over son"