Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Is anyone else anxious about talking to people on the phone/online if others/parents can hear, or playing music or showing your true self in any way?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7448
  • Start date
Deleted member 7448

Deleted member 7448

Name is Abdu, live in Laos, born on 24.08.1992.
-
It's especially super weird cause this happens with my parents, who were always very supportive and encouraged me to do stuff. But it's like the more supportive they are the more I want to hide. This must be another trait of my avoidant personality disorder. It would have happened with other people but I avoided other people so much that it only happens with my parents cause my parents are the only people in my life.

And it's like I'm bipolar or something, cause in some situations I can be free as fuck and super confident and not care, and sometimes I can care too much and am too inhibited. Especially if like strangers see me, sometimes I don't care at all. The shit I did while I was an alcoholic for example, I won't say any of it but god damn it still haunts me.

I have 3 good examples that will make you understand this weird anxiety I'm talking about. I don't like my parents to hear me or see me do anything that would reveal aspects of me I guess?. Examples:

1. Know those plays or songs or dances and shit that they make you do in the first few grades of school? Kids always invited their parents and were proud to show off. Me? I always begged my parents NOT to come. They were supportive and nice, but I was just too anxious to have them see me. I didn't give a shit if other parents saw me, really couldn't give less of a fuck. But my supportive parents? No.

2. Guitar. They wanted me to learn guitar, I wanted to learn guitar, so they bought me a guitar. They even bought me another one a few years later when I wanted to try learning again. But I never actually learned because I was too anxious to play at home where they could hear me. THEY ENCOURAGED me to play, wanted me to, and yet I was too fucking anxious. Couldn't give less of a fuck if anybody else heard me though. What the fuck?

3. Don't like if they hear me talking to anybody. Like on the phone. Luckily I don't have any friends and nobody's number on my phone, but on the few occasions in life where that did happen I was super anxious and tried not to be heard. I probably would've started a youtube or twitch thing if I didn't have this fear of being heard.

They're good people, they're supportive and want me to do things. But for some reason I'm super fucking anxious about it. I think this is related to a lot of my other mental problems. Tbh it's also one of the reasons why I don't go out. Not having friends or a girlfriend is one thing, but I think I would've at least tried to get friends or something if I weren't so anxious of my parents knowing. And they would have ENCOURAGED me to go out with friends or a girlfriend, and yet I'm so anxious I won't do it mostly because of this.

Wtf is wrong with me?

Last edited:
yeah i am tbh. talking on discord is something I don't want my dad to overhear

I felt the same way.

If I had to guess, it was because of some bad conflicts in early childhood which were quickly patched-over instead of being resolved. The end result is being anxious around parents even when they make good gestures.

Anyway, the main thing is this isn't even supposed to matter. Your relationship with your parents is not that important, what they're supposed to do is keep you alive and make sure you have people to interact with. You're not supposed to be best buddies. That's what your peers are for.

But of course, like me you probably had a cocooned family where conflicts easily fester and where it's super important to be best friends even though your relationships with your peers are more important for personal development.

Yeah because people are tribalistic dogs who will eat anyone who's different in anyway.

I too have avoidant personality disorder (among several other mental health issues)
My parents weren't emotionally supportive of me.
They seemed to be rather annoyed when there were things like school theater plays.

I only listen to music with my headphones, so my relatives can't hear what music I like.
When I have to make a phone call, I always go into my own room to not be disturbed.

I too have avoidant personality disorder (among several other mental health issues)
My parents weren't emotionally supportive of me.
They seemed to be rather annoyed when there were things like school theater plays.

I only listen to music with my headphones, so my relatives can't hear what music I like.
When I have to make a phone call, I always go into my own room to not be disturbed.
I'm sorry for your circumstances. I hope you'll have an easier life from now on, maybe by moneymaxxing or something.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your circumstances. I hope you'll have an easier life from now on, maybe by moneymaxxing or something.
Thank you for your kind words. I wish you all the best, too.

I have been berated by my parents (especially by my domineering mom) so much so that, whatever activity I do nowadays I feel like I have to hide.

Im embarrassed in every hobby I have and my parents dont know shit about me.
my dad found out Im watching moe anime and he doesnt speak to me

Ye wtf I thought that was just me

I think it's a trait for ppl who live in tiny house/apartment

Same lol I can relate with everything you said. Thank god I'm living alone

Yea. I don’t think I would have been able to wfh if I was still living with my parents with all these meetings I have

Yes, I can relate to this. Incel trait for sure.

Same here. I would rather keep what I do to myself

My parents aren't really very supportive of my circumstances. My knees can hurt real bad but every time I brought it up with them they got angry or change the subject. I probably have bad knees forever now because they would rather shush me like I was being stupid. Now I just don't talk about it anymore.. they would just make fun of me anyway.

My dad sat on my hat that I loved one time and broke it. That literally made me sad and I freaked out and he didn't apologise, just shouted at me.

I've been threatened, hit, gaslighted, stole from and belittled for circumstances out of my control and told to deal with it.

All while my sister who doesn't even live with us gets all their attention while I never acquire a conversation with them.

I have no friends.. they were all just abusive to me as soon as puberty came. Those that weren't part of the bullies happily stood by and watched thanking the world they weren't me. It is amusing to point out that as soon as I retaliated back against them they all grouped around me to say that it is sooooo bad that I just retaliated.. like I'm the fucking problem.

Going out with my parents is absolute torture because I don't have any friends they bring me along like a retarded third wheel.. just seeing their eyes filled with disappointment looking at me like I'm supposed to be happy is the worst feeling in the world. Every time without fail when we get to our last stop on the pub crawl they begin asking if I am "alright" and I reply "yeah" then they just start talking with each other like everything in the world is fine. My parents do that a lot.. ask me if I'm okay when I obviously am not. They probably know something is up with me but they just don't want to hear it. My sister is more important to them anyway.

Humanity is a scourge and I wish a Supernova would wipe us out.

Very relatable, particularly regarding music

I never listen to anything without headphones and and only talk in voice chats or whatever late at night when everyone else is asleep

My parents aren't really very supportive of my circumstances. My knees can hurt real bad but every time I brought it up with them they got angry or change the subject. I probably have bad knees forever now because they would rather shush me like I was being stupid. Now I just don't talk about it anymore.. they would just make fun of me anyway.

My dad sat on my hat that I loved one time and broke it. That literally made me sad and I freaked out and he didn't apologise, just shouted at me.

I've been threatened, hit, gaslighted, stole from and belittled for circumstances out of my control and told to deal with it.

All while my sister who doesn't even live with us gets all their attention while I never acquire a conversation with them.

I have no friends.. they were all just abusive to me as soon as puberty came. Those that weren't part of the bullies happily stood by and watched thanking the world they weren't me. It is amusing to point out that as soon as I retaliated back against them they all grouped around me to say that it is sooooo bad that I just retaliated.. like I'm the fucking problem.

Going out with my parents is absolute torture because I don't have any friends they bring me along like a retarded third wheel.. just seeing their eyes filled with disappointment looking at me like I'm supposed to be happy is the worst feeling in the world. Every time without fail when we get to our last stop on the pub crawl they begin asking if I am "alright" and I reply "yeah" then they just start talking with each other like everything in the world is fine. My parents do that a lot.. ask me if I'm okay when I obviously am not. They probably know something is up with me but they just don't want to hear it. My sister is more important to them anyway.

Humanity is a scourge and I wish a Supernova would wipe us out.
I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope that one day you can use that pain to create better circumstances for yourself. You're still young, as cliche as it may sound, your life is ahead of you. Think of this as your origin story.

Totally my case. And it fucked me pretty good when I was 11-12yo and was developing my social skills, I would better not answer a friend's call so my parents wouldn't hear what I say. I had no other way to do so because I lived in a 50m² rat hole with 4 other people in my country's capital.