Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

[Inquiry] Is Dassault the only company to make aircraft with twin cannons?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22685
  • Start date
Not really the MIG-19 has dual 30 mm cannons and the MIG-15 has two 23 mm and one 37 mm cannons. Technically the MIG-21 has two 23 mm too as well as the JF-17, there are many more planes that carry twin cannons that I can think of.

Last edited:
Not really the MIG-19 has dual 30 mm cannons and the MIG-15 has two 23 mm and one 37 mm cannons. Technically the MIG-21 has two 23 mm too as well as the JF-17, there are many more planes that carry twin cannons that I can think of.
Oh i see, thoughts on why twin revolver/other then rotary cannons aren't as used much in modern aircraft?

Here's a list of planes that carry multiple cannons that I can think of:

F-100 4x 20mm cannons
F-5 2x 20mm cannons
L-39 2x 23mm cannons
F-86 6x 50 cal mechine guns
Most cold war and modern day french planes carry twin cannons

Oh i see, thoughts on why twin revolver/other then rotary cannons aren't as used much in modern aircraft?
It all comes down to doctrine, while cannons like the 20mm Vulcan are nice and can be used in many ways like supporting ground units with its cannon and are much less accurate compared to single barreled cannons, single barrel cannons are more accurate and can shoot higher caliber rounds without sacrificing the size of the automatic cannon. Not to mention bullet velocity into the equation.

Plus higher caliber guns like the 30mm barrels wear off much often then the multiple barrel ones.

Rotary cannons are much more versatile and flexible.

Last edited:
And here I thought they only made CAD like solidworks

Here's a list of planes that carry multiple cannons that I can think of:

F-100 4x 20mm cannons
F-5 2x 20mm cannons
L-39 2x 23mm cannons
F-86 6x 50 cal mechine guns
Most cold war and modern day french planes carry twin cannons

It all comes down to doctrine, while cannons like the 20mm Vulcan are nice and can be used in many ways like supporting ground units with its cannon and are much less accurate compared to single barreled cannons, single barrel cannons are more accurate and can shoot higher caliber rounds without sacrificing the size of the automatic cannon. Not to mention bullet velocity into the equation.

Plus higher caliber guns like the 30mm barrels wear off much often then the multiple barrel ones.

Rotary cannons are much more versatile and flexible.

what about the ac 10 technically you can fit things onto it per your choice

what about the ac 10 technically you can fit things onto it per your choice
You mean the A-10?

A-10 can carry alot into the battle from GBU bombs to Dumb guided bombs to rocket pods to maverick missiles to AIM-9 missiles to targeting pods and jamming pods. But it does not carry any type of externally mounted gun besides its own 30mm cannon.

Last edited:
You mean the A-10?

A-10 can carry alot into the battle from GBU bombs to Dumb guided bombs to rocket pods to maverick missiles to AIM-9 missiles to targeting pods and jamming pods. But it does not carry any type of externally mounted gun besides its own 30mm cannon.
I might be mistaken

It all comes down to doctrine
An obvious answer i suppose, although i figured having 2 streams of rounds instead of just 1 would help increase hit probability.

You mean the A10?
Well no, with the A10, the aircraft was built around the gun more then the gun around the aircraft. Similar design as with something like the Mig 21 Fishbed, where the thought was first given to engine and then to the rest of the aircraft. But still i should have mentioned that i was talking about dogfighting, not CAS or whatever else.

An obvious answer i suppose, although i figured having 2 streams of rounds instead of just 1 would help increase hit probability.
well yeah, especially Russian pilots are trained to be efficient with the GSh-30-1 single barreled cannon.

Probably because you don't need them as much in this day an age. Dogfights are unlikely since long range AAM exist.

Probably because you don't need them as much in this day an age. Dogfights are unlikely since long range AAM exist.
That's what burgers said when they entered vietnam too :feelskek: although in the Phantoms defence it had an interceptor role, not an air superiority one.