Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious I am going to an Avril Lavigne concert

• Thread starter Deleted member 17719
  • Start date
Sk8er Boi wasn't her only punk-adjacent song. What about "Complicated?" I'm not saying Avril Lavigne claimed punk, but she gave enough of an air of it that fans, not just the media trying to kick up a storm, questioned who she was trying to be. Like when she says...

Laugh out when you strike your pose
Take off all your preppy clothes

"Preppy clothes," as opposed to what, Avril Lavigne? Are you a punk? Is the guy you're talking to a punk trying to fit in with the preps? This is a fight people had even without the media.
Sonically, Complicated isn't anything close to punk. When I think of punk, I think of fast tempos, driving drums, frantic guitars. Complicated has none of those things; it's super laid-back and mellow. It's a good song, but to me it's about as far from punk as you can get.

She has other songs that are more reminiscent of pop-punk on later releases (He Wasn't, most songs on The Best Damn Thing), but if you listen to Let Go in full, there really isn't anything else that sounds like Sk8er Boi. She has heavier songs (Losing Grip, Unwanted), ballads (I'm With You, Tomorrow) and a lot more mellow songs, but nothing else that screams 'punk'.

I don't want to get bogged down in genre debates - to me, good music is good music irrespective of what arbitrary label people want to attach to it - but I just find it peculiar that her most famous song isn't indicative of her overall sound back then.

As for whether she was trying to be a punk or not, in all honesty I don't think she was trying to be anything other than herself. She had a wide range of influences at the time including punk bands, heavier bands and singer-songwriters, and this is reflected in her music as well as her image. To me, she was simply a young girl figuring out her identity.

Yeah you're a pathethic soyboy cuck and nothing changes that.

Sonically, Complicated isn't anything close to punk. When I think of punk, I think of fast tempos, driving drums, frantic guitars. Complicated has none of those things; it's super laid-back and mellow. It's a good song, but to me it's about as far from punk as you can get.

She has other songs that are more reminiscent of pop-punk on later releases (He Wasn't, most songs on The Best Damn Thing), but if you listen to Let Go in full, there really isn't anything else that sounds like Sk8er Boi. She has heavier songs (Losing Grip, Unwanted), ballads (I'm With You, Tomorrow) and a lot more mellow songs, but nothing else that screams 'punk'.

I don't want to get bogged down in genre debates - to me, good music is good music irrespective of what arbitrary label people want to attach to it - but I just find it peculiar that her most famous song isn't indicative of her overall sound back then.

As for whether she was trying to be a punk or not, in all honesty I don't think she was trying to be anything other than herself. She had a wide range of influences at the time including punk bands, heavier bands and singer-songwriters, and this is reflected in her music as well as her image. To me, she was simply a young girl figuring out her identity.

"Complicated" isn't fast or frantic, but it's the lyrics people were debating. Sound is only one thing to consider. Even if your songs are soft, if you're singing about "Yay punks, boo preps" in all the songs people know you for, that's gonna make people ask questions.

Nice. I’ve never been to a concert. I want to go to an Avril Lavigne concert or Paramore.

He was a PUNK and she did BALLET can I make anymore obvious!?

Call me a soy, beta and cuck if you want but if you remember the early 2000s her songs were some of the most memorable from that time. Why should I let soys and foids have all the fun? Truecels deserve to enjoy concert too, I have been to 17 concerts in my life.
Enjoy what you want, although a younger me would have called you a fag.

see you later boi