Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Venting How the hell did I manage to learn English?

grondilu

grondilu

Overlord
★★★★★
I'm currently trying to learn Russian and it's incredibly hard. I've been at it for more than a year now, I know perhaps a bit more than a thousand words and when I try to watch a youtube video in Russian I catch a few words here and there but that's about it.

This makes me realize how hard it is to learn a foreign language, which makes me wonder : how the hell did I manage to learn English? Granted, it took me many years, but still I'm just amazed I managed to do it at all.

As I recall, I think the most decisive part of my progress in English was that period I had during which I was spending most of my time watching US TV shows and movies. I distinctly remember that when I began, I needed the subtitles, sometimes even in my own native language, to follow the plot. I think the tough part was not so much the vocabulary, but the idioms and the speech patterns. Anyway slowly but surely I relied on the subtitles less and less, until one day I suddenly felt like that I didn't need subtitles at all. I can even recall which series it was : suddenly for this series it was like my ears were finally working : I could hear what was said and it immediately made sense in my head. It felt quite sudden, though maybe it's only with hindsight that it feels that way. Who knows.

In any case, I just felt like expressing how difficult and in a way mysterious the process of language learning is. I don't know if I'll ever manage to master an other foreign language as well as I master English, but if I ever do, I'll be proud of myself because damn that's a challenge.

Last edited:
Just throw yourself intot that world. If you study something, take like an hour or half an hour to translate your notes into russian ( I did so with German). Watch some videos or let's plays. Make it part of your daily life just like English is (in its case becouse culture)

:smonk:

I still can't speak English after 19 years, fuck my low iq ass.

I still can't speak English
Well, I don't think I can speak it well either. I do understand it perfectly and I write it effortlessly though, which IMHO is what matters the most.

Speaking is overrated, I think. Especially for us incels who have next to zero social life. We want to learn other languages to increase our sources of copes from entertainment and education, not to talk to actual people.

Movies, i watched a lot when i was young. First movie i ever watched was Terminator 1 with my dad, great days :feels:
@Diocel how did you learn english? :feelsStudy:

Movies, i watched a lot when i was young. First movie i ever watched was Terminator 1 with my dad, great days :feels:
@Diocel how did you learn english? :feelsStudy:
Do you have any sisters my age? :feelsaww:

english is the easiest language.
The second easiest language is spanish imo so you better learn this instead of russia.

English is super easy compared to Russian

No wonder you struggled with Russian

i read death of a salesman and looked up the words I didnt understand

Your avatar: Crocodiles me.

Because English has very easy grammar compared to most languages and also it's everywhere. Russian has another alphabet, much more complex grammar and unless you're from Eastern Europe the vocabulary won't be similar to your native language.

English is so retarded languag that everybody can learn it. You have languages that require effort to understand grammar and you have engilsh which you learn by parroting the sentences you heard.

you have engilsh which you learn by parroting the sentences you heard.
Yeah lately I've been thinking about that a lot : it's crazy how many idioms there are in English. It's full of them.

english is the easiest language.
The second easiest language is spanish imo so you better learn this instead of russia.
Depends on what your native tongue is. If you natively speak English, Swedish is the easiest second language to learn.

In Germany you will lern English since 3. Grade onwards , it just clicked over time .

I mostly communicate in english online , Like its rare As fuck i will Write in German unless the Other Person ist German aswell.

English for me is Like Second Nature at this Point .

If you natively speak English, Swedish is the easiest second language to learn.

Nostalgia...

Turk

Speaking is overrated, I think. Especially for us incels who have next to zero social life. We want to learn other languages to increase our sources of copes from entertainment and education, not to talk to actual people.
:bigbrain::bigbrain::bigbrain:
Had the same thought recently about Japanese. As a depressed, no-skills ethnicel I would dream to live in Japan but it will never happen, still I'm interested in learning the language because I like the WeebCopes.

why u try learning Russian? worthless alcoholic stagnant shithole

Nothing of value has come out of Russia in the last 30+ years

I've read that Russian is the second most used language on internet after English. Also I suppose it could be helpful if I ever want to learn other slavic languages later on.

If I ever manage to learn Russian I will probably switch to Arabic, Chinese or Hindi. I'm actually already learning them, but with much less dedication. Everybody says it's not good to try to learn several languages at the same time so I focus on Russian, but I still study other languages at the same time, just much more slowly.

English is easy tbh

When the Western world collapses, Russia may be the best option to move to, tbh, or any of the former Soviet territories where Russian is spoken.