Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

News ‘Godfather of A.I.’ leaves Google after a decade to warn society of technology he’s touted

Govid_Dorious

Govid_Dorious

AspieWaffen Division soldier
★★★★★

Geoffrey Hinton, known as “The Godfather of AI,” received his Ph.D. in artificial intelligence 45 years ago and has remained one of the most respected voices in the field.

For the past decade Hinton worked part-time at Google, between the company’s Silicon Valley headquarters and Toronto. But he has quit the internet giant, and he told The New York Times that he’ll be warning the world about the potential threat of AI, which he said is coming sooner than he previously thought.

“I thought it was 30 to 50 years or even longer away,” Hinton told the Times, in a story published Monday. “Obviously, I no longer think that.”

Hinton, who was named a 2018 Turing Award winner for conceptual and engineering breakthroughs, said he now has some regrets over his life’s work, the Times reported. He cited the near-term risks of AI taking jobs, and the proliferation of fake photos, videos and text that appear real to the average person.

In a statement to CNBC, Hinton said, “I now think the digital intelligences we are creating are very different from biological intelligences.”

Hinton referenced the power of GPT-4, the most-advanced large language model, or LLM, from startup OpenAI, whose technology has gone viral since the chatbot ChatGPT was launched late last year. Here’s how he described what’s happening now:

“If I have 1,000 digital agents who are all exact clones with identical weights, whenever one agent learns how to do something, all of them immediately know it because they share weights,” Hinton told CNBC. “Biological agents cannot do this. So collections of identical digital agents can acquire hugely more knowledge than any individual biological agent. That is why GPT-4 knows hugely more than any one person.”

company to integrate Bard’s technology and LLMs into more products and services. Last month, the company said it would be merging Brain with DeepMind to “significantly accelerate our progress in AI.”

According to the Times, Hinton said he quit his job at Google so he could freely speak out about the risks of AI. He told the paper, “I console myself with the normal excuse: If I hadn’t done it, somebody else would have.”

Hinton tweeted on Monday, “I left so that I could talk about the dangers of AI without considering how this impacts Google. Google has acted very responsibly.”

@WorthlessSlavicShit @barcacel

A few years ago people thought we were headed towards another AI winter. I was thinking that as well. But with gpt-3 it all changed. Or at least so it seems at the moment.

Programmer cucks have worked themselves to their own redundancy. The mass layoffs will probably begin in a few years to a decade depending on how fast AI accelerates, no fucking way corporation execs and kikes are going to miss out on the next era of automation. Cucks will keep deluding themselves with the idea that le government will suddenly pitch in and offer them universal NEETbuxx when all the tech jobs are gone. :lul:

the proliferation of fake photos, videos and text that appear real to the average person.
Oh no. Internet whores will get deepfake nudes leaked and internet racists will use fake images as propaganda. How is he gonna cope?

Geoffrey Hinton, known as “The Godfather of AI,” received his Ph.D. in artificial intelligence 45 years ago and has remained one of the most respected voices in the field.

For the past decade Hinton worked part-time at Google, between the company’s Silicon Valley headquarters and Toronto. But he has quit the internet giant, and he told The New York Times that he’ll be warning the world about the potential threat of AI, which he said is coming sooner than he previously thought.

“I thought it was 30 to 50 years or even longer away,” Hinton told the Times, in a story published Monday. “Obviously, I no longer think that.”

Hinton, who was named a 2018 Turing Award winner for conceptual and engineering breakthroughs, said he now has some regrets over his life’s work, the Times reported. He cited the near-term risks of AI taking jobs, and the proliferation of fake photos, videos and text that appear real to the average person.

In a statement to CNBC, Hinton said, “I now think the digital intelligences we are creating are very different from biological intelligences.”

Hinton referenced the power of GPT-4, the most-advanced large language model, or LLM, from startup OpenAI, whose technology has gone viral since the chatbot ChatGPT was launched late last year. Here’s how he described what’s happening now:

“If I have 1,000 digital agents who are all exact clones with identical weights, whenever one agent learns how to do something, all of them immediately know it because they share weights,” Hinton told CNBC. “Biological agents cannot do this. So collections of identical digital agents can acquire hugely more knowledge than any individual biological agent. That is why GPT-4 knows hugely more than any one person.”

company to integrate Bard’s technology and LLMs into more products and services. Last month, the company said it would be merging Brain with DeepMind to “significantly accelerate our progress in AI.”

According to the Times, Hinton said he quit his job at Google so he could freely speak out about the risks of AI. He told the paper, “I console myself with the normal excuse: If I hadn’t done it, somebody else would have.”

Hinton tweeted on Monday, “I left so that I could talk about the dangers of AI without considering how this impacts Google. Google has acted very responsibly.”

@WorthlessSlavicShit @barcacel
Interesting.

Apparently the main issue is security.

Interesting, but not surprising. There have already been multiple cases where those ethics consultants and so on have either left their positions at tech giants or were fired.

A few years ago people thought we were headed towards another AI winter. I was thinking that as well. But with gpt-3 it all changed. Or at least so it seems at the moment.
Exactly what I used to think as well. Honestly, I think that, as overwhelming and incredible this might look at the moment, there's no telling what will happen once this starts plateauing with new industries springing up and getting established in society. The way how everyone who was pushing and shilling for crypto for years by now has just switched over to AI when that didn't work out is... a rather worrying sign tbh, though at this point, I'd say that there's still almost no reason to be pessimistic yet. Where a year or so ago I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of another AI winter, I'd say that today there's only 10% at worst, if I'm extremely pessimistic.

Programmer cucks have worked themselves to their own redundancy. The mass layoffs will probably begin in a few years to a decade depending on how fast AI accelerates, no fucking way corporation execs and kikes are going to miss out on the next era of automation. Cucks will keep deluding themselves with the idea that le government will suddenly pitch in and offer them universal NEETbuxx when all the tech jobs are gone. :lul:
Codemonkey jobs have been obsolete ever since code started being posted on the internet tbh. Now, most programming is choosing which pre-written code to use, rather than creating your own code. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if those guys just had another, even more "esoteric" jobs created for them. I already touched on this, but there are already predictions of multiple new industries being created solely around chatbots, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this wave of automation ended up creating more jobs than it destroys, by creating an entire array of bizzare, niche, bullshit jobs we can't even think of yet.

Apparently the main issue is security.
The amount of malware and spam that's going to be created with those tools is unfathomable tbh:feelskek::feelskek:. I'm about 70% sure that the single biggest, main impact on society this will have will be absolutely flooding us with that kind of stuff. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this ended up fucking up the internet so much that people will start turning away from using it:feelshaha::feelskek:.

mass roping incoming. Millions of ropes

Skynet is coming.

mass roping incoming. Millions of ropes
Skynet is coming.
you guys have an npc tier intelligence, "oh no jews" "oh no robots bad" "oh no i should kill myself"

you guys have an npc tier intelligence, "oh no jews" "oh no robots bad" "oh no i should kill myself"
Point out what I said that was incorrect. :ping:

Point out what I said that was incorrect. :ping:
1-no one will be removed from their job
2-kikes are not real
3-UBI will exist or new easier jobs will be created

i don't want to because, i know you guys are not gonna be able to understand it because of how your brain works, i was able to understand it without anyone explaining me everything

Last edited:
i don't want because, i know you guys are not gonna be able to understand it brcause of how your brain works, i was able to understand it whithout anyone explaining me everything
interesting

Thank you for ai gf chatbots and image generators

Smart enough to create AI technologies. Dumb enough to not see where it could lead.

I swear, so many of these scientists have vacuum space where there should be imagination.

Smart enough to create AI technologies. Dumb enough to not see where it could lead.

I swear, so many of these scientists have vacuum space where there should be imagination.
I don't think anyone could've envisioned this to happen:

|/

i don't want to because, i know you guys are not gonna be able to understand it because of how your brain works, i was able to understand it without anyone explaining me everything
Well, then it explain it to me. If they don't understand, that's their problem.

I don't think anyone could've envisioned this to happen:

There's enough science fiction literature written to help guide the very people on the forefront of technology to get a handle on where their work might lead. I understand that they probably don't have the time or luxury to entertain fantastical what-if scenarios and spend energy thinking about potential use cases for applications of their work where it all goes horribly wrong, but that's precisely what people like Isaac Asimov (robotics), Robert Heilein (space travel), Aldous Huxley (genetic engineering), and Arthur C. Clarke (AI) are there for.

Even people who worked on the Manhattan Project knew exactly what they were doing and had a very good idea of how their work would change the world (for better or for worse, but usually for worse). These modern day scientists have less of an excuse and should be held to a higher degree of accountability, both moral and otherwise.

AI is very beneficial if strictly controlled. If it has reign over the wrong areas that is too much power for one entity

How tragically myopic.
When you get paid enough to enjoy a lifestyle than less than 5% of humanity will ever be able to enjoy than morality is thrown out of the window, who cares.

It’s like the programmers creating A.I. knowing it will put other up coming programmers like themselves out of job opportunities but the pay out for creating the AI outweighs their moral compass to help the next man out.

If there was no financial or status compensation for such findings how many of them would have quit and done something else with their lives instead of dedicating it solely to their interest and studies? Very very little….

universal basic income will be necessary.

the future for most American men will be NEET.

universal basic income will be necessary.

the future for most American men will be NEET.
Depressing how low men have fallen. From raping as many foids on sight to this :feelsjuice:

1-no one will be removed from their job
2-kikes are not real
3-UBI will exist or new easier jobs will be created
I don't know if this is sarcasm but if it's not, you're the one with npc tier intelligence :lul:

Surely unrestricted AI is a good thing, and there has been no media predicting the downfall of this at all

50C13CAB 6BFB 4F12 B267 6B822D94D6B5

I don't know if this is sarcasm but if it's not, you're the one with npc tier intelligence :lul:
you are the one has it, why do you have a profile picture of a shooter?

Screenshot 2023 05 11 170533

@mrlunatic
here is the explanation for both of you:
here is the explanation of why the jews are not evil:

Last edited:
When you get paid enough to enjoy a lifestyle than less than 5% of humanity will ever be able to enjoy than morality is thrown out of the window, who cares.

It’s like the programmers creating A.I. knowing it will put other up coming programmers like themselves out of job opportunities but the pay out for creating the AI outweighs their moral compass to help the next man out.

If there was no financial or status compensation for such findings how many of them would have quit and done something else with their lives instead of dedicating it solely to their interest and studies? Very very little….
You're right. There are very few scientists and researchers who would still continue the work if there was zero money in it, because all they care about is the science and not the money+fame that comes with it.