Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Female protagonists that you like

Hoppipolla

Hoppipolla

hop on jj2
★★★★★
It's a weird thing isn't it because... as someone in their 30s I remember a time when female protagonists were actually good, lol

Ripley, Joanna Dark... even Lara Croft had her moments!

These days it just feels like they're forced in for the sake of diversity and also aren't particularly likeable. But who knows maybe I'm wrong and you like some of them :)

Which ones do you like, if any?

@epillepsy @Robtical @shii410 @ThoughtfulCel @foidologist @FullTimeLoser @your personality @Zettacel @Diocel @Ritalincel @ReturnOfSaddam @SryMyEnglish @Personalityinkwell @sub8male @Ritalincel @Pengwin @FastBananaCEO @Gymcelled @Dregster666 @Selinity @Cafecel @ScornedStoic @BummerDrummer @Capable_Onion @erenyeager thoughts? Who are some y’alls favorite female leads? They’re all so great, I literally can’t even. Try not to get too carried away ya’ll!
It's a weird thing isn't it because... as someone in their 30s I remember a time when female protagonists were actually good, lol

YAAAASS QUEEN SLAY

None. I don’t consume ANY media with a female lead or even side character. Only straight white men or (if it takes place in an exotic land like India) historically and culturally accurate people.

I don't like any video game with a female protagonist.

@epillepsy @Robtical @shii410 @ThoughtfulCel @foidologist @FullTimeLoser @your personality @Zettacel @Diocel @Ritalincel @ReturnOfSaddam @SryMyEnglish @Personalityinkwell @sub8male @Ritalincel @Pengwin @FastBananaCEO @Gymcelled @Dregster666 @Selinity @Cafecel @ScornedStoic @BummerDrummer @Capable_Onion @erenyeager thoughts? Who are some y’alls favorite female leads? They’re all so great, I literally can’t even. Try not to get too carried away ya’ll!

YAAAASS QUEEN SLAY
None, my head is empty on this matter, not a single name comes to mind.

Alita, Samus Aran.

Nothing comes to mind

Like villains more, have never rooted for a hero. Have no problem watching TV, only when love/couples are in it I get problems.

Always have to cringe when I see that shity/gay stuff (and when I don't cringe I feel intense sadness and want to kms). I find it absolutely disgusting that you cannot avoid that shit nowadays, I mean there were always shippers/etc., but you could avoid them (by not deliberately exposing yourself to them), nowadays everything (even stuff like Warhammer) has love stories.

It is always what ruins stuff for me. Female characters are less of a problem for me than love stories/romances - except if they are super cringy/entitled/bitchy.

These days it just feels like they're forced in for the sake of diversity and also aren't particularly likeable. But who knows maybe I'm wrong and you like some of them :)

I had an older cousin who schooled me to both popular and cult TV shows / Movies, and cult references which I later went back and watched or looked at. It would be foid worship to name any of them so I won't BUT I definitely felt that lead foids in certain movies were at one time more likeable BECAUSE they weren't a product of this women's empowerment 4th wave feminism horseshit. Further back we go it seems the more tolerable foids were because the Hollywood machine and the societal culture hadn't made this thing into an acceptable religion. Speaking of which, I recently came upon some online writing which gets into some of the reasons for why this could be. So far I am reading it and it is somewhat cathartic, not exactly COPE

Linked below.....

aren't particularly likeable
A big part of why they aren't likable is that they don't have any flaws. It's literally offensive to modern feminists for a woman to have any weaknesses, and I'll prove it below.

In place of weaknesses or flaws, these characters are written as victims, who overcome their victimhood. Captain Marvel and Rey are two great examples. As people, and in terms of their super powers (or force powers) they start out "perfect." They just don't know they're perfect. The storyline is just them figuring out how perfect they are.

It's a character arc that women really like, because it's what they all believe about themselves.

Contrast this with the traditional "hero's journey" created by the Greeks - it's a story in three acts. In act 1 we are introduced to the hero.

Act 2 is called, "rise of the antagonist." We're introduced to the villain and the most important part of this act is, the hero must be defeated. The hero must be shown to be inadequate. Think Batman being defeated by Bane and tossed into the prison. The end of act 2 must have the hero at his lowest point.

In act 3, the hero obviously defeats the villain, but that's pretty easy too, and that doesn't make an enjoyable movie or a likable character. The crucial part of act 3 is not the defeat of the villain. The crucial part of act 3 is the way the hero changes in order to defeat the villain. He might find a teacher, or learn something new, or he might adjust his priorities (like for example no longer caring if he dies, so long as he fights a good fight).

The point is, the hero changes and grows - he's a different person at the end of the movie. I keep saying "he" but they used to write female characters this way too. You mention Ripley. Her growth is in the way she protects Newt. She's flawed at the beginning because she's overcome with fear. At the end she tells Newt they can both sleep without nightmares now (and of course, Alien 3 shits all over that, but whatever).

A female character with flaws is literally offensive to modern feminists. Here's a quick example: in one of the Avengers movies Black Widow admits that she is sterile, and she reveals she's insecure about it. That's a flaw ...or at least it could be - it could be the basis for an interesting character arc. But feminists flipped out. It made them really mad. So, don't expect to see any more attempts to write women with flaws.

The hero's journey = flawed hero -> defeated -> grows -> victorious = fundamentally a male worldview. Nothing is ever given to us.

The modern female superhero = perfect but doesn't know it, ugly duckling, victimized -> realizes how perfect she is -> victory = fundamentally a female worldview. It's recruit difficulty made into a movie.

A big part of why they aren't likable is that they don't have any flaws. It's literally offensive to modern feminists for a woman to have any weaknesses, and I'll prove it below.

In place of weaknesses or flaws, these characters are written as victims, who overcome their victimhood. Captain Marvel and Rey are two great examples. As people, and in terms of their super powers (or force powers) they start out "perfect." They just don't know they're perfect. The storyline is just them figuring out how perfect they are.

It's a character arc that women really like, because it's what they all believe about themselves.

Contrast this with the traditional "hero's journey" created by the Greeks - it's a story in three acts. In act 1 we are introduced to the hero.

Act 2 is called, "rise of the antagonist." We're introduced to the villain and the most important part of this act is, the hero must be defeated. The hero must be shown to be inadequate. Think Batman being defeated by Bane and tossed into the prison. The end of act 2 must have the hero at his lowest point.

In act 3, the hero obviously defeats the villain, but that's pretty easy too, and that doesn't make an enjoyable movie or a likable character. The crucial part of act 3 is not the defeat of the villain. The crucial part of act 3 is the way the hero changes in order to defeat the villain. He might find a teacher, or learn something new, or he might adjust his priorities (like for example no longer caring if he dies, so long as he fights a good fight).

The point is, the hero changes and grows - he's a different person at the end of the movie. I keep saying "he" but they used to write female characters this way too. You mention Ripley. Her growth is in the way she protects Newt. She's flawed at the beginning because she's overcome with fear. At the end she tells Newt they can both sleep without nightmares now (and of course, Alien 3 shits all over that, but whatever).

A female character with flaws is literally offensive to modern feminists. Here's a quick example: in one of the Avengers movies Black Widow admits that she is sterile, and she reveals she's insecure about it. That's a flaw ...or at least it could be - it could be the basis for an interesting character arc. But feminists flipped out. It made them really mad. So, don't expect to see any more attempts to write women with flaws.

The hero's journey = flawed hero -> defeated -> grows -> victorious = fundamentally a male worldview. Nothing is ever given to us.

The modern female superhero = perfect but doesn't know it, ugly duckling, victimized -> realizes how perfect she is -> victory = fundamentally a female worldview. It's recruit difficulty made into a movie.
Perfectly describes the female mindset:
Males judge others by changeable characteristics (e.g. by what they do). Females judge others by unchangeable characteristics (e.g. by what they are). No wonder that they like such figures so much.

@Lebensmüder @genma

Surely though when men were the dominant gender in Western society (well, technically they still are but... just not white men) we had our fair share of pretty much perfect protagonists too.

Bond, McClane, etc.

Don't get me wrong I do think white men should be dominant in white countries but... maybe it's part of the nature of being part of a more dominant group that you have such praise heaped on you.

Bond, McClane, etc.
I can't really speak to Bond - can't even remember the plot to any of them.

McClane though is hugely flawed. At the start, he's a cynical asshole, not even a hero. His initial motivation (once the terrorists arrive) is just getting away. There isn't even a scene where he's concerned for his wife (not until the other employee guy calls him in the radio). He only fights them when they find him.

His character does have an arc, and he does change throughout the movie. When he first faces the villain, McClain outsmarts him (which is significant since the villain's entire M.O. is that they're german geniuses much smarter than those stupid americans) but then McClain is defeated because the villain is smarter ("shoot the glass"). End of act 2.

At this point, McClain has a choice to just say "fuck it" and walk away (with his bloody feet) like the cynical asshole he is. This is the pivotal scene where he makes an overt conscious decision to fight back. It's paired with the conversation, via radio, with the black cop. They talk about family - this is McClain articulating what's really important to him, something he hasn't done previously in the movie.

And from that point in the movie forward, he is actively fighting the terrorists as opposed to just running and being defensive.

That said, Die Hard doesn't strictly follow the hero's journey, in my opinion. But it doesn't entirely disregard it either. The key point is that I do think the character is inadequate at the start, because of his "don't give a shit" attitude.

If you try to imagine that movie with a female protagonist, I predict that female McClain would have been outsmarting the terrorists the whole time, and there'd be nothing for her to lean on and say, "I'm changing my behavior because I care about this other thing."

Try to think of a female protagonist who gets her ass kicked by a villain. It likely happens at the end of the movie (so there's no opportunity to reflect on defeat and grow), and when she turns it around and wins (because of course she does) it's likely the villain started monologuing and she just whips out a knife and guts him (she doesn't win because she changed as a person).

Man, I fucking love strong female characters!

I can't even name a female protagonist let alone have a favourite one. The problem is that female counter-parts of mostly male media will never be compelling enough. It's the same reason why nobody cares about female soccer or female ''comedians''.

Lara croft and Only because she is designed to be sexy and appealing to men

thoughts? Who are some y’alls favorite female leads? They’re all so great, I literally can’t even. Try not to get too carried away ya’ll!
The ones who get raped and brutally murdered in the movie.

Samus Aran, Velvet Crowe, Lightning, idk what else
But still I don't see how some think it would be cucked to like a fictional female character, since they are the complete opposite of irl sluts

Jill Valentine

I actually thought of Res Evil too! It has lots of great female characters.

I have no issue at all with decent female characters. I don't know why these days it's done in such an objectionable way though! In the past it always just felt... appropriate for the story that was being told.

I remember back when Perfect Dark first came out and NONE of us complained about the female lead. We really didn't care. We just wanted to know "Is the game good?"

The ones I make in modded skyrim and fallout NV :chad:

Kokonoe Rin (my avi).

Ripley

that's about it can't think of anyone else. Though there probably is someone else though ngl oh yeah Caroline but shes not real so yeah.

The artist took a lot of creative liberty's if that is kokonoe.
Tbh. The hair color is different and all. But it's a very cute artwork.

None. I don’t consume ANY media with a female lead or even side character. Only straight white men or (if it takes place in an exotic land like India) historically and culturally accurate people.

don't really like any anymore but used to like Yandere female protagonist Yuno in the Mirai nekki anime and p5r kasumi/sumire altho she isn't protagonist. Samus from Metroid is good too I guess. Atelier lululua protagonist is good too.

The only ones I like are the ones I have crushes on, like Azula, Rei, etc. (Can't remember the rest)

there all shit

"I liked justice league capeshit tihi"

all of them, especially strong independent radical feminist such as Captain Marvel

sorceress and amazon in diablo 2 were alright

None, fuck holewalkers.

I once read a VN named MOON with a female protagonist. It was pretty good. Weird bc VNs almost always have male protagonists.

Kim Wexler from Better Call Saul is great, wish most females were like her
Black Mamba from Kill Bill was pretty cool too

...uh yeah that's it