Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Fellow OCDcels - can you tell intrusive thoughts from regular thoughts?

Hoppipolla

Hoppipolla

hop on jj2
★★★★★
I've been working on this recently. My OCD is mostly about supernatural or religious things.

It's like... a fear that I've been "cursed" in some way? But it occurred to me recently that a real curse would be very different to an OCD curse, lol. Much more obvious.

OCD ones are... ambiguous, "random", mundane, easy to trigger, stuff like that. Sorry if this makes no sense to people who don't have OCD.

I wonder if I can explain it more clearly. It's kind of like paranoia, you know? Typically I think it's a greatly exaggerated fear of something that many people do fear at least a bit. Like germs or ghosts or angering God or things like that.

Anywho that's all. Maybe only people with OCD will find this makes any sense to them at all!

Last edited:
I usually can if my reaction to the thought is "that's not true" or something similar

Was that "No I can't tell the difference" or "No I have no idea what you're talking about"? XD

I actually didn't have OCD for most of my life. Isolation caused it.

I usually can if my reaction to the thought is "that's not true" or something similar

That's really good that you can tell quite easily like that. For me I get so scared of the event/thought. It really gets me and I feel this strong fear and I feel compelled to repeat it or whatever.

OCD sucks for sure. But mine is much better than it was years ago and overall I think I'm still making progress but very slowly... although hopefully this stuff I'm working out recently will help me.

Was that "No I can't tell the difference" or "No I have no idea what you're talking about"? XD

I actually didn't have OCD for most of my life. Isolation caused it.

That's really good that you can tell quite easily like that. For me I get so scared of the event/thought. It really gets me and I feel this strong fear and I feel compelled to repeat it or whatever.

OCD sucks for sure. But mine is much better than it was years ago and overall I think I'm still making progress but very slowly... although hopefully this stuff I'm working out recently will help me.

I can easily tell because the intrusive thoughts are the ones that don't go away even when i'm distracting myself. The meds i'm taking definitely help with them not being so constant by there are days they slip through and i'm always miserable when that happens.

I can easily tell because the intrusive thoughts are the ones that don't go away even when i'm distracting myself. The meds i'm taking definitely help with them not being so constant by there are days they slip through and i'm always miserable when that happens.

Yeah OCD can make me feel rubbish. Like... it makes you feel like something is quite wrong with you now. A defect that you didn't used to have.

And yeah I don't think that distraction alone usually works. But I do find that being around others works because the peer pressure and enjoyment of the social experience snaps me out of it pretty well.

No I can't tell the difference
At all. Same with schizophrenia, i always thought the voices were my thoughts themselves not some sort of illness until i got older

I've been working on this recently. My OCD is mostly about supernatural or religious things.

It's like... a fear that I've been "cursed" in some way? But it occurred to me recently that a real curse would be very different to an OCD curse, lol. Much more obvious.

OCD ones are... ambiguous, "random", mundane, easy to trigger, stuff like that. Sorry if this makes no sense to people who don't have OCD.

I wonder if I can explain it more clearly. It's kind of like paranoia, you know? Typically I think it's a greatly exaggerated fear of something that many people do fear at least a bit. Like germs or ghosts or angering God or things like that.

Anywho that's all. Maybe only people with OCD will find this makes any sense to them at all!
I can and I've pretty much beaten ocd at this point, it's not a problem anymore

I can and I've pretty much beaten ocd at this point, it's not a problem anymore

Please tell me your secrets, lol

At all. Same with schizophrenia, i always thought the voices were my thoughts themselves not some sort of illness until i got older

Oh wow schizophrenia too? You hear voices? What are they like? >.<

I hope it's not too bad :(

I think about smashing my head open on things I see randomly.

I am also very paranoid

Please tell me your secrets, lol

I just don't do what ocd tells.

I think i have ocd when i have intrusive thoughts i will have to say how i was joking or else something bad will happen.Sometimes i will have to say im joking like 10 times and i have to backtrack to the place where i was when i thought the intrusive thought

I think i have ocd when i have intrusive thoughts i will have to say how i was joking or else something bad will happen.Sometimes i will have to say im joking like 10 times and i have to backtrack to the place where i was when i thought the intrusive thought

Aw, yeah that's definitely seems like OCD.

The scary thing for me is that when I started giving in to it all that did was gradually make it worse and worse until I couldn't cope anymore :(

That was back in 2017.

I just don't do what ocd tells.

I'm happy for you that it seems to be easier in your case! heh :)

I think about smashing my head open on things I see randomly.

I am also very paranoid

Hm. I hope you're OK >.<

Maybe try relaxation techniques or something like that?

I didn't say it's easy. I just don't obey it.

I still think it's surely easier for some people than others though. Just because we all feel it that doesn't mean it's always the same intensity.

It's usually just one voice, an extremely cynical and pessimistic tone, and it hates me for being on the spectrum

It's usually just one voice, an extremely cynical and pessimistic tone, and it hates me for being on the spectrum

Hm :(

Why are they never friendly! It's weird, right?

It's never Pinkie Pie or Sonic The Hedgehog or something.

I hope it's not too bad. Also if he hates you so much then why does he stay...

I hope it's not too bad. Also if he hates you so much then why does he stay...
Because it thinks it's a neurotypical version of me, ever since I was a kid it had the same voice as my adult voice.

Because it thinks it's a neurotypical version of me, ever since I was a kid it had the same voice as my adult voice.

Oh wow strange.

I mean, NT isn't better or worse it's just different :o

Einstein wasn't NT :)

I have suffered from OCD since I was 13. I had obsessions with hygiene, accidental death, numbers and sexual thoughts. Among them, except for the obsession with sexual thoughts, the rest almost disappeared after taking the medication. But the obsession with sexual thoughts never goes away. So, I tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, but the process was too painful, so I quit midway through it. Honestly, I'm embarrassed to talk about my intrusive thoughts here. If you knew what I usually think, you would think I'm a strange person. The only time I revealed all my thoughts was when I was tested for suitability for military service (I am a South Korean). The inspector ruled me unsuitable right away.
For me I get so scared of the event/thought. It really gets me and I feel this strong fear and I feel compelled to repeat it or whatever.
I feel similarly. When an intrusive thought arises, I feel afraid that if I don't think of another thought to "neutralize" the thought, it will become a reality. However, while "neutralizing" behaviors (Avoidance behaviors) temporarily relieve anxiety, it intensifies the obsession in the long run.

I get these scenarios in my head, mostly when I visit family members or when I'm near strangers. It's always vivid images of me either grabbing nearby objects and smashing them against their head or just punching them. I'm not even violent or hateful against them but these visalizations just keep loop in my head over and over again. I can tell the difference but it makes me nervous because I'm afraid the shit in my head will take over me.

I have suffered from OCD since I was 13. I had obsessions with hygiene, accidental death, numbers and sexual thoughts. Among them, except for the obsession with sexual thoughts, the rest almost disappeared after taking the medication. But the obsession with sexual thoughts never goes away. So, I tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, but the process was too painful, so I quit midway through it. Honestly, I'm embarrassed to talk about my intrusive thoughts here. If you knew what I usually think, you would think I'm a strange person. The only time I revealed all my thoughts was when I was tested for suitability for military service (I am a South Korean). The inspector ruled me unsuitable right away.

I feel similarly. When an intrusive thought arises, I feel afraid that if I don't think of another thought to "neutralize" the thought, it will become a reality. However, while "neutralizing" behaviors (Avoidance behaviors) temporarily relieve anxiety, it intensifies the obsession in the long run.

I guess OCD is usually kind of... fairly similar, you know? The details change but overall it seems to be a very similar affliction.

I go for night walks often and usually loads of things trigger my OCD. I did quite well tonight though because I am still experimenting with trying to tell OCD "curses" from real curses lol

I figure that the OCD ones yeah are typically quite ambiguous and trivial. That's how maybe I can tell that they're not real ^^

But yes, giving in to the "demands" OCD makes is a very bad idea because it just makes it worse :(

I get these scenarios in my head, mostly when I visit family members or when I'm near strangers. It's always vivid images of me either grabbing nearby objects and smashing them against their head or just punching them. I'm not even violent or hateful against them but these visalizations just keep loop in my head over and over again. I can tell the difference but it makes me nervous because I'm afraid the shit in my head will take over me.

Yeah I get worried about it overpowering me in some way too. Becoming a nervous wreck or giving in to a bad "demand".

It never seems to happen though.

It gets blurry at times. But I know it's been pretty bad lately 'cause I know I've felt that 'wrongness' more than usual.

Today was better though.