Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Does Facial Attractiveness Follow Bell Curve Like Distribution?

• Thread starter universallyabhorred
  • Start date
universallyabhorred

universallyabhorred

Banned
-
In a bell curve, the mean is set at 50th percentile, 68% of people would fall within one standard deviation higher or lower of the mean, 95% of people would fall within 2 standard deviations higher or lower, and 99.7% would fall within 3 standard deviations. Generally you don't need to go past 3 SD, and it becomes much rarer like 1 in a a few thousand and less. Most measurements of human ability such as intelligence, follow this pattern, with majority of people falling near average. Do you believe this is true for attractiveness as well, since majority of people are objectively considered average? And if that's the case, where do you think you'd be?

All I know is that I'm ugly

I believe so.

I have no idea but girls won't talk to me. :feelsbadman:

Yeah seems like it, though there is definitely a lot more uglier people than there are beautiful people

All I know is that I'm ugly
Let me give an example, to better explain the concept.

Assume that mean attractiveness rating is 5.0/10, this is 50th percentile which means 50 percent of people for the age group have rating <5 and 50% have >5 rating

Assume that the standard deviation is 1.5.

Now what this means is

34% of people(50th-16th percentile) fall between 3.5-5 and another 34%(50-84th percentile) of people fall between 5.0-6.5 this is within one standard deviation

13.5 % of people(16th-2.5th percentile ) fall between 2 and 3.5 and another 13.5%(84th-97.5%) of people fall between 6.5 and 8 this is within two standard deviations

2.35% of people (2.5th-0.15th percentile) fall between 0.5 and 2 and another 2.35% of people fall between 8 and 9.5 this is within three standard deviations

generally beyond 3rd standard deviation, measurements of percentille are not considered accurate due to their rarity, but this could go on to the negatives or greater than 10.

Does this concept of most people being near average attractiveness and few people being extremely ugly or beautiful, seem accurate to you based on what you see IRL?
Yeah seems like it, though there is definitely a lot more uglier people than there are beautiful people
I don't think that's true. There are roughly the same percentage of actor or model type guys, as there are those with extreme ugliness or disfigurement.

Last edited: