Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

News Did Scientists Accidentally Invent an Anti-addiction Drug?

Tarquinius

Tarquinius

Disregard my larping efforts. I can't change it.
★★★★
People taking Ozempic for weight loss say they have also stopped drinking, smoking, shopping, and even nail biting.
All her life, Victoria Rutledge thought of herself as someone with an addictive personality. Her first addiction was alcohol. After she got sober in her early 30s, she replaced drinking with food and shopping, which she thought about constantly. She would spend $500 on organic groceries, only to have them go bad in her fridge. “I couldn’t stop from going to that extreme,” she told me. When she ran errands at Target, she would impulsively throw extra things—candles, makeup, skin-care products—into her cart.
Earlier this year, she began taking semaglutide, also known as Wegovy, after being prescribed the drug for weight loss. (Colloquially, it is often referred to as Ozempic, though that is technically just the brand name for semaglutide that is marketed for diabetes treatment.) Her food thoughts quieted down. She lost weight. But most surprisingly, she walked out of Target one day and realized her cart contained only the four things she came to buy. “I’ve never done that before,” she said. The desire to shop had slipped away. The desire to drink, extinguished once, did not rush in as a replacement either. For the first time—perhaps the first time in her whole life—all of her cravings and impulses were gone. It was like a switch had flipped in her brain.
As semaglutide has skyrocketed in popularity, patients have been sharing curious effects that go beyond just appetite suppression. They have reported losing interest in a whole range of addictive and compulsive behaviors: drinking, smoking, shopping, biting nails, picking at skin. Not everyone on the drug experiences these positive effects, to be clear, but enough that addiction researchers are paying attention. And the spate of anecdotes might really be onto something. For years now, scientists have been testing whether drugs similar to semaglutide can curb the use of alcohol, cocaine, nicotine, and opioids in lab animals—to promising results.

Very interesting. Seeing as most lack the self-control to curb their addictions I am suddenly all for this. Would be cool to see the impact this would have on consumerism on a societal level. Women especially need this, what with their proclivity for hoarding and buying useless tat every month.

Very interesting. Seeing as most lack the self-control to curb their addictions I am suddenly all for this. Would be cool to see the impact this would have on consumerism on a societal level. Women especially need this, what with their proclivity for hoarding and buying useless tat every month.
What is your weight now.

What is your weight now.
Hovering around 73kg. Goal of 65, with the pipedream of sub 60kg. Losing the extra weight whilst being completely sedentary is cumbersome. Cycling would make this a whole lot easier.

Hovering around 73kg. Goal of 65, with the pipedream of sub 60kg. Losing the extra weight whilst being completely sedentary is cumbersome. Cycling would make this a whole lot easier.
I just walk 10k steps like autist. Lost 8kg in one month

Sounds useful.

JFL I'm almost double that. I used to weight like 49kilos when I did meth, but when I stopped and started SSRIs and antipsychotics I ballooned to almost triple the weight. What's worse the drugs made me constantly hungry and now I'm Boogie-tier fat.

JFL I'm almost double that. I used to weight like 49kilos when I did meth, but when I stopped and started SSRIs and antipsychotics I ballooned to almost triple the weight. What's worse the drugs made me constantly hungry and now I'm Boogie-tier fat.
Bloody hell. You've been through it all, haha. Do you have any hopes/desire to lose the weight? I assume you are still on SSRI's and antis?

Bloody hell. You've been through it all, haha. Do you have any hopes/desire to lose the weight? I assume you are still on SSRI's and antis?
Yep I am. I should just move more, I don't eat too much (unhealthy food once a week tops), but I just rot at computer so I don't spend any calories. I have lost a couple of kilos during last months, so at least I'm not gaining.