Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Death Note is one of the best and worst anime I've ever watched

THE TRUE DIGLET

THE TRUE DIGLET

Paragone
★★★★★
(Spoilers ahead)

This show started off incredible. It's been a long time since I found an anime I could watch without getting second hand embarrassment. While there were still your expected anime tropes, it was a hell of a lot more grounded in reality compared to the rest of the medium. No high school bullshit, no harems, and no stupid "anime" moments like accidental tit groping, etc.

The two titular characters, Light and L, were fun to watch. If you're based you rooted for Light to cleanse the world of evil, and if you're gay you rooted for L to stop him. Objectively L isn't as interesting as Light but his chemistry with him kept the show engaging so I can't complain. Watching them trying to one up each other through any means necessary was the highlight of the show. If it kept up the pace it would've easily made it to my top 5 anime of all time.

But of course they slowly started to fuck things up. First they added that annoying bitch Misa that added nothing to the show but to annoy the hell out of you. And then they made Light lose his memories and we were forced to watch side characters take down a random evil corporation? By the end of it we see Light get his memories back and kill L by manipulating a shinigami who loved Misa for reasons?? It was a ass pull but whatever. I'm sure it can't get worse than this.

No, I was wrong. The author couldn't outsmart Light so he had to dumb him down. Somehow two femboys that were confirmed in the show to be inferior to L were outsmarting Light with ease. And once we get to the ending everything goes completely ape shit.

You're telling me the Kira worshiper and level-headed Mikami would be retarded enough to act out on his own? Enough to get Light exposed by the femboy Near? And somehow Light couldn't have a plan B, C, and D like he has throughout the entire series until this point? And then it's revealed Near had his officer create a perfect replica of the Death Note that contains 10's of thousands of names in under 12 hours. Bullshit.

And then Kira's true identity is revealed and he goes on a tangent on how his actions helped stop wars and crime. With everyone responding with "you're evil because punishing criminals is... le bad!" And Light gets shot and dies a pathetic death. The end.

To me it seemed like the author was too scared to let the bad guy win so went with the stock Marvel tier ending. There was no point to anything in the entire 37 episode run when the mc becomes an idiot and has everything he's done unravel in one minute because of ass pulls. I legitimately was pissed for a few hours.

In the end I'd rate it a 6/10 overall. Up until L's death it was a solid 8. Everything after was a 4.

Yeah well the first half of Death Note is iconic but the second half not so much. Light is a shinigami now so I wonder if we'll ever get a Death Note sequel. Doesn't feel like it.

Yeah it went to shit after they changed buildings. It was actually high IQ at first, although I didn't like it much anyway.

Yeah well the first half of Death Note is iconic but the second half not so much. Light is a shinigami now so I wonder if we'll ever get a Death Note sequel. Doesn't feel like it.
After L’s death it gets sooo boring

death note is kino

Manga is better, they rushed the show. Especially the second part

I kinda agree. That whole memory lose crap was when the story started to fall off. Too contrived

Death Note sucked Light had everything given to him and was still beaten by L.

While everyone simped for L, I was more of a Kira fan.

(Spoilers ahead)

This show started off incredible. It's been a long time since I found an anime I could watch without getting second hand embarrassment. While there were still your expected anime tropes, it was a hell of a lot more grounded in reality compared to the rest of the medium. No high school bullshit, no harems, and no stupid "anime" moments like accidental tit groping, etc.

The two titular characters, Light and L, were fun to watch. If you're based you rooted for Light to cleanse the world of evil, and if you're gay you rooted for L to stop him. Objectively L isn't as interesting as Light but his chemistry with him kept the show engaging so I can't complain. Watching them trying to one up each other through any means necessary was the highlight of the show. If it kept up the pace it would've easily made it to my top 5 anime of all time.

But of course they slowly started to fuck things up. First they added that annoying bitch Misa that added nothing to the show but to annoy the hell out of you. And then they made Light lose his memories and we were forced to watch side characters take down a random evil corporation? By the end of it we see Light get his memories back and kill L by manipulating a shinigami who loved Misa for reasons?? It was a ass pull but whatever. I'm sure it can't get worse than this.

No, I was wrong. The author couldn't outsmart Light so he had to dumb him down. Somehow two femboys that were confirmed in the show to be inferior to L were outsmarting Light with ease. And once we get to the ending everything goes completely ape shit.

You're telling me the Kira worshiper and level-headed Mikami would be retarded enough to act out on his own? Enough to get Light exposed by the femboy Near? And somehow Light couldn't have a plan B, C, and D like he has throughout the entire series until this point? And then it's revealed Near had his officer create a perfect replica of the Death Note that contains 10's of thousands of names in under 12 hours. Bullshit.

And then Kira's true identity is revealed and he goes on a tangent on how his actions helped stop wars and crime. With everyone responding with "you're evil because punishing criminals is... le bad!" And Light gets shot and dies a pathetic death. The end.

To me it seemed like the author was too scared to let the bad guy win so went with the stock Marvel tier ending. There was no point to anything in the entire 37 episode run when the mc becomes an idiot and has everything he's done unravel in one minute because of ass pulls. I legitimately was pissed for a few hours.

In the end I'd rate it a 6/10 overall. Up until L's death it was a solid 8. Everything after was a 4.
I wouldn't be so extreme but yeah L vs Light is so peak like actually 10/10 nut then it's like a 7 for the rest but a 7 that's carried by the former plot

(Spoilers ahead)

I agree a lot with this sentiment

While I do think Light/kira should have been realized, I think it should have been 'bigger', if that makes sense. The dude killed literal thousands of people, I watched it forever ago but I think there was a cult about him too? I think the guy could've, realistically, been discovered and then the show ends with like, a sort of ending narration. An open ended story.

See, Death Note at it's core, to me, was horror. You see all these characters and grow to love them, but know that at any moment Light/kira could kill them. You feel scared for the characters, it is immersive, it is gripping. I think a story like this should not have a good ending, neither should it have a bad ending. We don't root for light, but he is the protagonist so we are biased.

Hypothetically, if the ending was focused around the fact that they publicized who light/kira is and then they have to figure out how to get to him because they made the guy a public figure, who has a following of fear and worship, and it doesn't say what happens, it could not only spark a lot of debate but even open the road to sequels if wanted.

One of the biggest fall offs of all time