Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Blackpill "At times, she implored her family to limit her access to the stimulator, each time demanding its return after a short hiatus."

grondilu

grondilu

Overlord
★★★★★
This sentence in the title is quoted from the 1986 paper called "Compulsive Thalamic Self-Stimulation : a Case with Metabolic, Electrophysiologic and Behavioral Correlates". It's easy to find on the web if you search that exact title.

I think that sentence illustrates very well the power of addiction. Addicts know very well that they should not indulge in their addiction, but they can't help themselves. At times, when their compulsion is the lowest, they use that moment of lucidity to demand from others that their future behavior be restricted.

It's an old concept. In antiquity already, it was known that sometimes men must refrain their own behavior in order to avoid succumbing to an hedonistic trap.

I know, it's something that is difficult for us incels to even comprehend. One could even argue that it's an even worse take on the old "sex is not even that great, you inkvel", as it basically says that not only sex is not great, but that it's even bad.

And yet, there is this experiment. There is this woman who was given the ability to stimulate the pleasure center in her brain at will. And that ability basically ruined her life. Not because she hated it, but because she loved it too much.

Hedonism is a trap.

It's like they say in the twelve step programs : "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable."

Addicts seem to be incapable of controlling their behavior, when at the same time they're aware of the detriment effects of such behavior.

I know, you guys are probably going to shout "shut the fuck up, I want to fall in this trap. Give me a prime jb every day, and let me get addicted to it, I don't care, it can't possibly be worse than the hell I'm currently in." I hear you, but I still think it's something worth keeping in mind. Let me go on.

Here is an other take, courtesy of a prominent YouTuber in the manosphere :

IMHO the important part in this story, assuming it's not larp, is that the female knows what she's doing is wrong, but she doesn't know how to stop and considers seeking therapy. To me, it sounds very similar to that female self-stimulating her thalamus and demanding that people prevent her from doing so. In fact, one could argue that since sex is so easy to get for females, there is not that much of a difference : Tinder is after all a device that you operate with a finger, just like the thalamus-stimulating device in the experiment. Tinder is just less efficient so there is a longer time between the time the female swipes right and the moment Chad knocks at her door, but it's still free and the result is almost certain, just as the brain-stimulating device.

I'm not saying sex is bad, or that virgin guys are actually blessed. I'm saying that sex is an ordeal, as dealing with sex withdrawal can be brutal.

That being said, involuntary sexual abstinence is hell, I know. The unsatisfied curiosity alone will devour you inside. Yet I think it can be a bit of a relief to know that having sex would come with its own problems.

Last edited:
Wait does this stimulator exist? Is there more info on it?

@OpticalRape

Overarching materialism is a trap and so are whores.

Wait does this stimulator exist? Is there more info on it?

There is no commercially available version of it, but it could technically exist nowadays. I'm pretty sure it would be banned, though.

It's kind of funny, it would be a basically free (the device may be expensive, but its usage would be costless) way for people to get as much pleasure as they want, and yet it would not be socially acceptable. If you consider pleasure, or say happiness, to be the main thing people want in life, then banning such a device means that it's not good for society that people are content with their lives.

It makes you think.

Last edited:
Yet I think it can be a bit of a relief to know that having sex would come with its own problems.

It a relief to me that having a basic human need can some times come with it's own problems.

There is no commercially available version of it, but it could technically exist nowadays. I'm pretty sure it would be banned, though.

It's kind of funny, it would be a basically free (the device may be expensive, but its usage would be costless) way for people to get as much pleasure as they want, and yet it would not be socially acceptable. If you consider pleasure, or say happiness, to be the main thing people want in life, then banning such a device means that it's not good for society that people are content with their lives.

It makes you think.
Yes indeed,

The only limiting factor preventing people from becoming drooling sexretards is recovery time, I guess.

This also actually puts human existence into perspective as some biochemical machine. A thought i used to cope with death, suffering and failure in the past. There is no inherent worth in being happy; It's just physics.

The describe dsituation reminds me a lot of heroin addiction stories.

There is no inherent worth in being happy; It's just physics.
This reminds me a conversation I once had with a female in college. We were discussing the purpose of life and I objected to the idea that it was just "to be happy".

At the time I couldn't articulate exactly why I couldn't agree with such a statement, to me it basically just sounded like a gross oversimplification.

It seems to me that we are a special species, our existence is not merely something we must accommodate to, for instance by making it as pleasant as possible. Our existence is more of a project, an experiment. One could argue that we have a duty to achieve things only us are capable of, like building stuff, exploring and understanding the Universe.

I would relate this idea to the Nietzschean concept of übermensch, or, more recently, to Ben Goertzweil's concept of a cosmist imperative.

Last edited:
This reminds me a conversation I once had with a female in college. We were discussing the purpose of life and I objected to the idea that it was just "to be happy".

At the time I couldn't articulate exactly why I couldn't agree with such a statement, to me it basically just sounded like a gross oversimplification.

It seems to me that we are a special species, our existence is not merely something we must accommodate to, for instance by making it as pleasant as possible. Our existence is more of a project, an experiment. One could argue that we have a duty to achieve things only us are capable of, like building stuff, exploring and understanding the Universe.

View attachment 393911

I would relate this idea to the Nietzschean concept of übermensch, or, more recently, to Ben Goertzweil's concept of a cosmist imperative.
There is no real purpose to life except to be happy. However, counter-intuitively, hedonism does not lead to happiness. You see, there's two kinds of pleasure. Short term and long term.

I could eat fast food and drink beer every single day, and it would bring me pleasure in the short term, but in the long term, I'll grow fat and my liver will develop damage.
I could spend all of my day playing video games and really enjoy myself for a few days, but after that I'll just get miserable because I don't leave my home and my back starts killing me with pain.
I could stop gymmaxxing and I'd enjoy the extra time and not having to force myself to lift heavy repetitively, but after a few years being weak would hurt me more.
I could spend all of my money on frivolous shit and live like a king, but the stress of living from pay check to pay check would destroy me.
The list goes on.

To seek true happiness means to engage in virtuous behavior, to take care of yourself and those close to you, to moderate your short term wishes in order to maximize your long term happiness. It means sticking to your principles. It means having some semblance of a plan.
It means not being a dumb animal chasing the dragon.

Yet I think it can be a bit of a relief to know that having sex would come with its own problems.
I think it depends a lot on how you view sex, too. If you treat it like any other physiological need like eating food, sleeping, etc. (i.e. something you don't really need to think about, just something you do every once in a while to maintain your physical and mental wellbeing), then there's less of a chance that it'll become an addiction. Even better if you treat it as something that's nice but not necessary, like having a nice restaurant meal or a bottle of wine once in a while. But if you treat sex as an end goal or a way to alleviate anguish and that's all you think about, you'll be tortured regardless of how much or little of it you get, because you'll just want to be having sex 24/7.

There is no real purpose to life except to be happy. However, counter-intuitively, hedonism does not lead to happiness. You see, there's two kinds of pleasure. Short term and long term.

I could eat fast food and drink beer every single day, and it would bring me pleasure in the short term, but in the long term, I'll grow fat and my liver will develop damage.
I could spend all of my day playing video games and really enjoy myself for a few days, but after that I'll just get miserable because I don't leave my home and my back starts killing me with pain.
I could stop gymmaxxing and I'd enjoy the extra time and not having to force myself to lift heavy repetitively, but after a few years being weak would hurt me more.
I could spend all of my money on frivolous shit and live like a king, but the stress of living from pay check to pay check would destroy me.
The list goes on.

To seek true happiness means to engage in virtuous behavior, to take care of yourself and those close to you, to moderate your short term wishes in order to maximize your long term happiness. It means sticking to your principles. It means having some semblance of a plan.
It means not being a dumb animal chasing the dragon.
Excellent post. I think most people realize this deep down, but a lot of people value that short term stuff much more than they do some far-off future that may or may not happen - basically what is said in the OP. Personally, last year I regrettably engaged in a lot of hedonism, and it had the potential to cause a lot of problems. This year I'm trying to develop more of a plan and budget so I can make some sort of compromise/moderation between short and long term.

I think it depends a lot on how you view sex, too. If you treat it like any other physiological need like eating food, sleeping, etc. (i.e. something you don't really need to think about, just something you do every once in a while to maintain your physical and mental wellbeing), then there's less of a chance that it'll become an addiction. Even better if you treat it as something that's nice but not necessary, like having a nice restaurant meal or a bottle of wine once in a while. But if you treat sex as an end goal or a way to alleviate anguish and that's all you think about, you'll be tortured regardless of how much or little of it you get, because you'll just want to be having sex 24/7.
I think you're completely missing my point. I don't think this is a choice you can make, or that it depends on your mental attitude regarding sex. I think it's a deeply rooted physiological response to a stimulus, and this experience I was mentioning tends to prove it IMHO.

That women who could self-stimulate the pleasure center in her brain probably never expected to be so addicted to a little device she would carry around all the time. It's not like she had always been thinking "in life, having sexual pleasure is the only thing that matters". What probably happened is that whenever her brain was not being excited for too long, it created unpleasant sensations that could only be alleviated with an other stimulation. It's the withdrawal, and it's hard. You don't chose to become an addict, you stumble upon the addiction when you were not careful about it.

Think of what you just wrote and replace "sex" with "heroin", you may realize how you're missing an important point.

It is most certainly possible to overcome addiction by a conscious effort to dominate your mental state, endure withdrawal feelings and focus your mind on more important, less addictive things, but it is exactly that : an effort, and probably a tremendous one.

withdrawl is always difficult but missing out on something really sucks.

Yes, that's how drug addiction works.