Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion A question for oldcels: Were Video Games intially gender neutral?

DirtyCurryCell

DirtyCurryCell

Banned
-
I watched this video ages ago which said that video games were orignally gender neutral toys similar to bikes, slinkys and puzzles.etc. And after the video game market crashed and recovered, the toy aisles were colour coded as pink and blue. And the higher ups just put games on the blue section.

So my question for old cels is, how true is this?

I've played a lot of SNES and Genesis games, as well as PS2 games growing up. And it really doesn't seem like there was ever room for this feminist agenda around gaming.

Video games were meant to be for underdogs like us. They were story driven power fantasies. This whole thing with streaming and watchingg other people play is just complete garbage.

Not only are modern games which are meant for streaming like fortnite, PUBG, DOTA, LOL.etc completely unfun, they're about getting skins or whatever. And as I typed that, I realized that such designs appeal a lot to foids. Foids love putting on different skins and clothes.

Now take those games to stuff we played back in the day, where it was one bloke against armies of goons an epic quest to save the universe. By design, this is appealing to men. Specifically underdogs.

Least that's what I think. Was there ever a time when games pong and space invaders were considered gender neutral?
I can't squint and imagine.

But I can't imagine foids in the 90s/80s going to arcades and pumping quarters into beat em ups.

Usually not. In most 16 bit games (my generation), you could only play as a male character. In some, you could choose from a couple of options and usually just one would be female against 2, 4 or more male options.

Mainstream feminism in the early 90s was still very mild compared to today.

Im not an oldcel so my opinion might be discarded by default here but no, they were obviously aimed at men. It's obvious when you consider for example how female characters were dressed, the infamous "boob plate" on armor for example or sometimes they wear utterly inappropriate armor for given situation. Who do you think that was aimed at? Being a lesbian was still somewhat frowned upon in the 90's afaik.
But the more important part is that older games were made BY people who loved to play games aswell, this nowadays isn't the case.
Games back then were created as escapism for nerdy men by nerdy men.

Jfl. Just imagine a bunch of foids playing retro arcade. Some people can't understand that men and women are fundamentally different.

Gamer girl is a meme. They are not doing it out of genuine interest. They are just cam girls making money off of simps.

But I can't imagine foids in the 90s/80s going to arcades and pumping quarters into beat em ups.
This is where ur wrong tbhngl, pre WWW foids didnt have any hobbies and to snag a Tyrone/Chad they had to PHYSICALLY hang around these fine specimens ;-)

Games were made by men, for men. It wasn't until the 2010s that feminists decided to shove their agenda in games and ruin them. Now every game dev has to cater to a criteria to not be criticized. Main character is female? check. There are at least 30 strong independent wahmen characters? check. 50 ethnic gender neutral characters? check. Games are just another political statement, tainted by foids.

Remember those old atari commercials? Video games were initially marketed to families. But people very quickly realized it was mostly just a specific portion of men who bought and played video games.

I watched this video ages ago which said that video games were orignally gender neutral toys similar to bikes, slinkys and puzzles.etc. And after the video game market crashed and recovered, the toy aisles were colour coded as pink and blue. And the higher ups just put games on the blue section.

So my question for old cels is, how true is this?

I've played a lot of SNES and Genesis games, as well as PS2 games growing up. And it really doesn't seem like there was ever room for this feminist agenda around gaming.

Video games were meant to be for underdogs like us. They were story driven power fantasies. This whole thing with streaming and watchingg other people play is just complete garbage.

Not only are modern games which are meant for streaming like fortnite, PUBG, DOTA, LOL.etc completely unfun, they're about getting skins or whatever. And as I typed that, I realized that such designs appeal a lot to foids. Foids love putting on different skins and clothes.

Now take those games to stuff we played back in the day, where it was one bloke against armies of goons an epic quest to save the universe. By design, this is appealing to men. Specifically underdogs.

Least that's what I think. Was there ever a time when games pong and space invaders were considered gender neutral?
I can't squint and imagine.

pre-atari was absolutely gender neutral imo, with pong and the magnavox odyssey, but atari came out and started targeting males when they noticed boys were the ones playing games
Remember those old atari commercials? Video games were initially marketed to families. But people very quickly realized it was mostly just a specific portion of men who bought and played video games.
fuck you stole it from me

pre-atari was absolutely gender neutral imo, with pong and the magnavox odyssey, but atari came out and started targeting males when they noticed boys were the ones playing games

fuck you stole it from me
Great minds think alike

Games were made by men, for men. It wasn't until the 2010s that feminists decided to shove their agenda in games and ruin them. Now every game dev has to cater to a criteria to not be criticized. Main character is female? check. There are at least 30 strong independent wahmen characters? check. 50 ethnic gender neutral characters? check. Games are just another political statement, tainted by foids.
You can find games from the 80s or 90s that were clearly targeting women like barbie games. But most girly games failed miserably constantly over the years so the market just said screw it and focused on men

But nowadays video games are huge so narcissistic foids infiltrated them like you're describing. That and the jews ofc
yep, or we are both retards
:feelstastyman: maybe

Man all of these foids are out here talking about how into video games they've always been but when I was a kid I literally never saw a girl play a game beyond just trying it out before getting bored.
Back then it wasn't about genders they were just toys, and no one referred to themselves as "gamers" and built up this gay culture around themselves. You were just a guy that liked playing video games.

Man all of these foids are out here talking about how into video games they've always been but when I was a kid I literally never saw a girl play a game beyond just trying it out before getting bored.

They want to self-insert themselves in everything, like children looking for attention.

Only “games” I’ve ever seen foids legitimately enjoy on their own time are animal crossing, pokemon, and skyrim. Other than that they hate video games and only touch them to get orbiters online

Most characters were male. If a playable character was female, it was considered a game marketed to girls. In the first Metroid game (yes, I'm that old), people were shocked when it was revealed at the end that Samus Aran was female.

Older games from the arcade,atari etc. were more or less gender neutral, since not too many of them had human gendered character for you to play as. But like everyone else already said mostly boys played alot of these games, thus they pandered to the male demographic. Even though I'm an oldcel, I didn't grow up playing atari or arcade games, I started with Snes as my first system, Snes however did have some games that had female protagonists such as Pocky and Rocky series, Final Fantasy III/VI, Donkey Kong Country 3, Run Saber, and Metroid. But these games were far and few between since the majority of consumers and developers were male.

So yeah that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Back then it wasn't about genders they were just toys, and no one referred to themselves as "gamers" and built up this gay culture around themselves. You were just a guy that liked playing video games.

Says the weeb with an anime picture

(...)

Lol, the video game market crash was in 1983, long before I (and most on this forum were born). Home computers weren't powerful, game characters were a few dots on a screen, gaming was really more about gameplay in the abstract than anything else. I suppose that lack of detail makes them gender neutral, but only boys ever played them. GTA Vice City parodied early 80s gaming with their 'Degenatron' in-game spoof radio commercials.

There were probably more male protagonists in games but liars like Sarkeesian really under-represented the amount of female characters and their importance.

Jfl. Just imagine a bunch of foids playing retro arcade. Some people can't understand that men and women are fundamentally different.

Gamer girl is a meme. They are not doing it out of genuine interest. They are just cam girls making money off of simps.
This.

I'm mean sure there are probably SOME girls out there that genuinely love gaming but the vast majority of foids are only in to it these days because thats where all the guys are ie the games are NOT what they're really interested in so to speak.

Technically theyt're right only because the first video games didn't have enough resolution to show a gendered character. They were simple dots and lines like Pong.

hqdefault.jpg

And Asteroids

Original-vector-based-Asteroids-game-Atari-1979-showing-ship-in-centre-and-floating.ppm

NES games and older were sorta gender neutral simply due to graphic limitations. For instance, nobody knew or cared that Samus Aran in the first Metroid games was a female human. She was for all intents and purposes, practically gender neutral at that point, because early games had no real story or graphics to highlight gender differences. 16-bit era saw a huge jump in storytelling capabilities, and thus had more incentive to create "sex appeal"

women hated video games, only when whole world saw that games are a big industry women started to infilitrate gaming to get simps and money
women are like little kids, they need to be everywhere and always want to be the center of attention
nowadays they even larp as "femcels" :feelstastyman:

Low PSL men are most of the population playing video games, they should obviously catter to this aspect.