Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion wtf happened to rock music and why is it no longer mainstream?

E

Edmund_Kemper

Disregard my larping efforts. I can’t change it.
-
seriously 2009 was the last year where people were still listening to rock. in 2009, the rock bands that were popular were Nickelback, shinedown, 3 doors down, paramore, boys like girls, green day, all-american rejects. in 2008, it was nickelback, paramore, finger eleven, etc. in 2007, it was nickelback, all american rejects, fall out boy, three days grace, the red jumpsuit apparatus, my chemical romance, avril lavigne, etc. in 2005/2006, it was all american rejects, green day, nickelback, staind, 3 doors down, fall out boy, three days grace, panic at the disco, AFI, SOAD, red hot chili peppers, evanescence, etc.

then the year 2010 arrived and suddenly rock bands weren't on the top of the charts anymore. but honestly even in the year 2010 rock was more popular than it is now i guess. and in the early-mid 2010s, bands like foster the people, imagine dragons, lorde, etc were being played on rock radio and labeled as "alternative". those bands aren't rock they're just pure pop. real alternative is bands like weezer and smashing pumpkins.

Because nigger rap music

because zoomers only like degenerate garbage

because zoomers only like degenerate garbage
Rock has been degenerate since elvis, what do you mean? The name rock and roll in fact comes from a term slaves and low class Americans used to use to refer to sex. Rock the bed and roll around, right.

Rock has been degenerate since elvis, what do you mean? The name rock and roll in fact comes from a term slaves and low class Americans used to use to refer to sex. Rock the bed and roll around, right.
idk if thats what he means

In an old ass boomers eyes maybe, but comparing the rock bands OP mentioned to any of the mainstream slut-pop/mumble rap these days the degeneracy difference isn’t even a comparison

Tbh linkin park and three days grace / breaking Benjamin were some of my favorite artist

In an old ass boomers eyes maybe, but comparing the rock bands OP mentioned to any of the mainstream slut-pop/mumble rap these days the degeneracy difference isn’t even a comparison
You kidding? You think the members of green day for example have fucked any less whores or done any less drugs etc. than latter day mumble rappers? Come on now.

You kidding? You think the members of green day for example have fucked any less whores or done any less drugs etc. than latter day mumble rappers? Come on now.
Im not talking about what they do, im sure they’re all degenerate in that aspect, just focusing on the style/lyrics of the music produced

because sometimes it is too complex

Im not talking about what they do, im sure they’re all degenerate in that aspect, just focusing on the style/lyrics of the music produced
I see your point. All sounds the same to me though.

seriously 2009 was the last year where people were still listening to rock. in 2009, the rock bands that were popular were Nickelback, shinedown, 3 doors down, paramore, boys like girls, green day, all-american rejects. in 2008, it was nickelback, paramore, finger eleven, etc. in 2007, it was nickelback, all american rejects, fall out boy, three days grace, the red jumpsuit apparatus, my chemical romance, avril lavigne, etc. in 2005/2006, it was all american rejects, green day, nickelback, staind, 3 doors down, fall out boy, three days grace, panic at the disco, AFI, SOAD, red hot chili peppers, evanescence, etc.

Honestly you can kind of see the answer in the progression you've laid out here. Think back to the 90s - bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Korn, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, they were all legitimately popular and they were different. They were creative and heavy and brought about something new. Even metal (Metallica, Pantera, etc.) and punk (Blink-182, early Green Day) hit the mainstream for that reason.

Then it got shitty and generic - Nickelback and Fall Out Boy and All American Rejects and all those just kept doing the same stuff but worse. It got old. Suddenly mid twenty teens all we have left is garbage without real instruments like Imagine Dragons. Honestly it went the opposite way of hip-hop, which suddenly got creative and interesting again after being terrible for most of the 2000s.

Maybe it's cyclical and it'll all come back again. Underground stuff is great right now.

then the year 2010 arrived and suddenly rock bands weren't on the top of the charts anymore. but honestly even in the year 2010 rock was more popular than it is now i guess. and in the early-mid 2010s, bands like foster the people, imagine dragons, lorde, etc were being played on rock radio and labeled as "alternative". those bands aren't rock they're just pure pop. real alternative is bands like weezer and smashing pumpkins.
Zoomers have shit taste, that's why.

green day don't make videos full of strippers and "pussy dick slut cum" lyrics
Honestly you can kind of see the answer in the progression you've laid out here. Think back to the 90s - bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Korn, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, they were all legitimately popular and they were different. They were creative and heavy and brought about something new. Even metal (Metallica, Pantera, etc.) and punk (Blink-182, early Green Day) hit the mainstream for that reason.

Then it got shitty and generic - Nickelback and Fall Out Boy and All American Rejects and all those just kept doing the same stuff but worse. It got old. Suddenly mid twenty teens all we have left is garbage without real instruments like Imagine Dragons. Honestly it went the opposite way of hip-hop, which suddenly got creative and interesting again after being terrible for most of the 2000s.

Maybe it's cyclical and it'll all come back again. Underground stuff is great right now.
hip hop never improved in the past decade. it got worse. 2000s rap was even better. even kendrick and j cole and chance all sound boring as shit and in fact i think kendrick for example is so overrated i actually respect 6ix9ine more than him
I fucking hate zoomer's shitty ass rap music
kendrick lamar, xxxtentacion, j cole, chance the rapper, child gambino, lil pump, lil yachty, 6ix9ine, lil uzi vert, juice wrld, cardi b, bhad bhabie, drake, lil nas x, migos, travis scott, these rappers all suck although i'll admit kendrick's to pimp a butterfly album is decent and 6ix9ine is a guilty pleasure actually

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of rock tbh

what do u like?
Tough question cause i don't have a favorite genre. I like a bit of evetything , I listen to music randomly , Songs that i see in a TV show or a movie or just hear from someone

Tough question cause i don't have a favorite genre. I like a bit of evetything , I listen to music randomly , Songs that i see in a TV show or a movie or just hear from someone
any rock songs u heard?

I miss technopop

hip hop never improved in the past decade. it got worse. 2000s rap was even better. even kendrick and j cole and chance all sound boring as shit and in fact i think kendrick for example is so overrated i actually respect 6ix9ine more than him

Yeah I don't know man, we have a different take on this. Mid-2000s was awful - people like Lupe Fiasco and Talib Kweli were exceptions. I think right now, in terms of lyricism and technicality and uniqueness of production/songwriting, guys like Childish (I guess he's more R n' B now) and Chance the Rapper are significantly more interesting. Noname is really good and interesting too. I think Kendrick is actually pretty good - high production, weird instrumentation, good delivery, interesting lyrics. Very few dudes a decade ago were like that. Too much 50 Cent and Hurricane Chris.

But honestly, a big part of this isn't whether the stuff right now is really good. It's more that mid-2000s was so bad.

i thought techno music is stuff like orbital and underworld
Yeah I don't know man, we have a different take on this. Mid-2000s was awful - people like Lupe Fiasco and Talib Kweli were exceptions. I think right now, in terms of lyricism and technicality and uniqueness of production/songwriting, guys like Childish (I guess he's more R n' B now) and Chance the Rapper are significantly more interesting. Noname is really good and interesting too. I think Kendrick is actually pretty good - high production, weird instrumentation, good delivery, interesting lyrics. Very few dudes a decade ago were like that. Too much 50 Cent and Hurricane Chris.

But honestly, a big part of this isn't whether the stuff right now is really good. It's more that mid-2000s was so bad.
kendrick lamar's album damn was awful. and humble and love have terrible lyrics, especially humble. and childish gambino and chance and kendrick all have boring beats and they sound like they're half asleep when rapping, and their vocals are monotonous. i actually prefer mid-2000s over modern rap. kanye, 50 cent and lil jon were good imo

Last edited:
The new generations dont listen enough rock maybe

i think people who listen to dubstep and trash rap shit have brain damage

i think people who listen to dubstep and trash rap shit have brain damage
i'd rather listen to dubstep than listen to mumble rap

Rock got rapmogged into oblivion

The new generations dont listen enough rock maybe

Kind of a chicken-and-egg problem here. Do they not listen to enough rock because mainstream rock sucks, or does mainstream rock suck because there isn't demand for good stuff?

I think creative energies have moved underground in the rock world. Metal and punk are insane right now. But it's created kind of a severe binary; if you want money, put on some overproduced harmonies over guitar and a drum machine a la Imagine Dragons, if you want integrity and to do something interesting, play for a bunch of sweaty overstuffed punk venues for no money or recognition.

Over for rock music after Dead Boys dissolved tbh.

Jews don't approve of music that promotes masculinity and high testosterone levels in white males.

Hence rock's dissapearance and the ascendancy of the worst of nigger rap music and I say "worst" because not ALL rap has been "bad" in a moral or even an anti white sense.

It actually started off as positive with messages to uplift the black community and anyone else of any race that needed to hear a good word or just plain old good advice but then the Jews got involved (as the predatory sociopathic/psychopathic race of meddling trouble causing bastards always do) as they saw the uplifting message for blacks/the world promoted by the music as something that would threaten their control and agenda just as the Black Panther movement threatened their rule and control of the black community in the past but instead of stamping it out they understood it had a popularity and novelty to it that could make them a quick buck so turned it into gangsta rap or rather played that perhaps growing idea among certain segments of rap up and fed into it until it became a monster and ended up taking the lives of two of the greatest rappers of all time ie 2pac and Biggie but Jewish promoted "gangsta rap" has sadly/unfortunately taken many other rappers lives since.

Last edited:
I hope synthwave becomes mainstream. I hate music with lyrics in it. But rock started losing ground as America became browner. Follow demographic trends and the music matches perfectly.

Jews don't approve of music that promotes masculinity and high testosterone levels in white males.

Hence rock's dissapearance and the ascendancy of the worst of nigger rap music and I say "worst" because not ALL rap has been "bad" in a moral or even an anti white sense.

It actually started off as positive with messages to uplift the black community and anyone else of any race that needed to hear a good word or just plain old good advice but then the Jews got involved (as the predatory sociopathic/psychopathic race of meddling trouble causing bastards always do) as they saw the uplifting message for blacks/the world promoted by the music as something that would threaten their control and agenda just as the Black Panther movement threatened their rule and control of the black community in the past but instead of stamping it out they understood it had a popularity and novelty to it that could make them a quick buck so turned it into gangsta rap or rather played that perhaps growing idea among certain segments of rap up and fed into it until it became a monster and ended up taking the lives of two of the greatest rappers of all time ie 2pac and Biggie but Jewish promoted "gangsta rap" has sadly/unfortunately taken many other rappers lives since.
Don't forget this absolute gem

I hope synthwave becomes mainstream. I hate music with lyrics in it. But rock started losing ground as America became browner. Follow demographic trends and the music matches perfectly.
i think what happened is nowadays we don't have radio and MTV to promote us anymore so we now use social media to promote, and people on social media rarely follow group accounts and usually follow accounts owned by a single person. and pop/rap singers are solo while rock musicians are groups, so i think this is a factor for why rock lost its popularity. i think also many rock bands in the past 10 years avoided major labels and many of the more important ones in the past 10 years were so extreme and aggressive for the general population

It fucking died lol

Kind of a chicken-and-egg problem here. Do they not listen to enough rock because mainstream rock sucks, or does mainstream rock suck because there isn't demand for good stuff?

I think creative energies have moved underground in the rock world. Metal and punk are insane right now. But it's created kind of a severe binary; if you want money, put on some overproduced harmonies over guitar and a drum machine a la Imagine Dragons, if you want integrity and to do something interesting, play for a bunch of sweaty overstuffed punk venues for no money or recognition.
i don't know of any punk bands of the 2010s other than weird experimental ones like FIDLAR, METZ, fucked up, pissed jeans, etc. there is also against me and off with their heads but not enough punk bands to make the 2010s an important decade for punk.

in the 70s we had the buzzcocks, dead boys, vibrators, ramones, sex pistols, the clash (who then became new wave in the 80s). in the 80s, we had black flag, the exploited, discharge, gbh, minor threat, adolescents, descendents, circle jerks, bad brains, etc. in the 90s we had nofx, bad religion, pennywise, rancid, the offspring, lagwagon, face to face, etc. in the 2000s, we had many of the 90s punk bands like nofx and pennywise and bad religion making important albums and newer bands like rise against and the casualties and cheap sex, alkaline trio, dropkick murphys, against me, anti flag, etc.
It fucking died lol
rip

i think what happened is nowadays we don't have radio and MTV to promote us anymore so we now use social media to promote, and people on social media rarely follow group accounts and usually follow accounts owned by a single person.
Idk my dude. BTS and K-pop has a lot of followers. But yeah, social media definitely changed the music biz. Labels are less important now.

when the southern rappers took over, rap became less skillful

when the southern rappers took over, rap became less skillful
Good point.

I fucking HATED Outkast when they came on the scene and could never understand how they became so popular.

I guess I'm just hopelessly addicted to the west coast G-funk sound.

Idk my dude. BTS and K-pop has a lot of followers. But yeah, social media definitely changed the music biz. Labels are less important now.
but K pop and BTS have a sound that is very poppy and they're a boy band which also helps because people tend to focus on each specific member of a boy band and follow them around, people don't do that with bands that play their instruments. for example, 20 years ago, when NSYNC and Creed were famous, everyone knew the names of every nsync member but they never knew the names of each Creed member (except maybe scott). they just knew the band Creed but they didn't know each member's name. everyone knows who led zeppelin is, but they won't always know the name of each member of led zeppelin

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back