Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Will the price bubble of retro videogames ever burst?

thespanishcel

thespanishcel

Overlord
★★★★★
Tbh even if the games were cheap I wouldn't buy them, I follow the retro videogame collecting community (I'm subscribed to some youtube channels) because I think it's interesting. Over the last 4 years approximately the hobby has become more popular thanks to normie youtubers like Logan Paul or ElRubius so the demand for retro videogames has increased, and since they're old products and it's hard finding them in good condition the prices have risen a lot. More factors that caused the price increase are that kids that played those videogames in their childhood are now in their 30s or early 40s so they already have a stable life and income and they are willing to pay more for them due to the nostalgia factor.

If you go on ebay or other platforms you will see very crazy prices, for games in perfect condition (sealed) you can pay thousands and for games that have been opened but are still in decent condition several hundreds or even thousands too depending on which game :shock::shock::shock: All that money for an old videogame that you can download and play for free in an emulator, WTF. Before the bubble some collectors suggest that they could buy old games in great condition (not sealed but the box looked new) for 50$ or less, now that's impossible unless you want to collect garbage like sports games. I think that eventually the prices will decrease but they won't return to pre-bubble prices due to scarcity and because retro is considered something cool nowadays.

It’s all Jewish tricks. There is now business that allow you to purchase shares of a over priced commodity in hopes that when it goes to auction or sold then when sold everyone who owned a share gets a piece of profit. The auction houses are literally run by Jews. Other sellers see the ridiculously priced listings and adjust their prices.

So the Jews did this.

Last edited:
the hardware will die sooner or later, 99% NES in the retro market already have replaced parts.

It's kinda stupid to pay anything for these old NES games when the ROMs are available for all of them. Do something else with your money, buy other copes, or bitcoin, or invest in the stock market, and just let the soys overpay for 25 year old game cartridges that are just full of old memory chips and plastic that will eventually degrade. Same goes for buying old vinyl or CDs - it's just an arcane media to transfer the bits and bytes.

the hardware will die sooner or later, 99% NES in the retro market already have replaced parts.
Which is why I’m glad to have purchased an Analogue NT, Analogue Pocket, Super NT and Mega SG which are all super accurate FPGA based consoles programmed to as perfectly simulate the original consoles as possible, while adding modern quality of life enhancements to make one’s retro gaming experience of arguably the highest quality possible. :feelzez:

I also own just about every krikkz made flash cartridge there is so I never even have to use an original game cartridge if I don’t want to. :feelsthink:

similar to the reason why graphic cards are overpriced

I mean, do chips even go bad eventually?

I can see how some consoles might have faulty capacitors that need to be replaced. But it seems to me that ROM carts and other chips should theoretically last forever. I do know that Flash wears out after a certain number of rewrites.

Anyway, I do think it's pretty stupid to be paying hundreds of dollars for a piece of old tech, something that ends up in the trash anyways. Hopefully in a few years most of those people would be too old to care, the younger generation wouldn't care anyway because they won't have the nostalgia factor and they can just play on emulators because it's more convenient than collecting physical games, and that leaves the actual hardware which would be selling for peanuts again in thrift stores where they can be fixed up.

I still have an interests in these old games, even the ones before my time.